The Irish Election

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

The Irish Election

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 pm

Big day tomorrow here in Ireland as it's election day .
Now as a rule not too much would be said about this within Europe but the raise of Sinn Fein has really got the country gripped , as exit polls have SF in front as they will get a big vote from the young .
I don't think they can take power all depends who would jump in with them .
Going to be a very interesting few days .
Watch This Space ................

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: The Irish Election

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 pm
Big day tomorrow here in Ireland as it's election day .
Now as a rule not too much would be said about this within Europe but the raise of Sinn Fein has really got the country gripped , as exit polls have SF in front as they will get a big vote from the young .
I don't think they can take power all depends who would jump in with them .
Going to be a very interesting few days .
Watch This Space ................
Even SF are surprised - they look like they are going to lose the opportunity to have more TDs because they didn't field enough candidates.

Fianna Fáil with SF's support to govern seems to be the smart betting. It's all the fun of the fair though with about 20% of the Dáil consisting of one-man and two-man bands so if you want to govern you need a sizeable partner and SF will be the only one going. Interesting.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 pm

What would be the best outcome for Ireland?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 pm

Oooh Irish Nationalism.

They won't want to leave the EU, so it's okay.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Been following this developing story,SF could get all their nominated candidates elected and yet still be shut out of power,going off the current polling Leo Varadker will struggle to stay in office that much seems clear,expect the Greens and independents to poll well also,don't expect the results anytime soon due to the laborious counting process.

Saturday has been chosen as voting day to try and encourage a higher turnout,it'll be interesting how successful or not this proves to be,if it shows a marked difference then the UK might take note and consider changing our traditional Thursday election dates.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 pm

So happy living here I don't bother to vote. Also don't understand enough about Irish politics and can’t be arsed to learn. What I do know though is there are only minor policy differences, to me, between FF &FG and this is much healthier for Ireland than the current British situation of extremism right and left. SF do seem to be more left wing promising the sort of policies that lead to problems in the future.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6843 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:37 pm

After all the hype it's to be hoped that Sein Fein don't bomb.
This user liked this post: Right_winger

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 pm
Oooh Irish Nationalism.

Don't they want their sovereignty back then?

derryclaret
Been Liked: 185 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by derryclaret » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:53 am

No doubt it's going to be a close call, the big question is whether the Shinner surge has been halted by the Quinn affair, also with a big rugby international today and orange and yellow weather warnings for the whole country will it affect the turnout. Exit poll at 10pm will be interesting

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm

derryclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:53 am
No doubt it's going to be a close call, the big question is whether the Shinner surge has been halted by the Quinn affair, also with a big rugby international today and orange and yellow weather warnings for the whole country will it affect the turnout. Exit poll at 10pm will be interesting
Out early this morning and voted .
I must say i am happy with Leo , now yes we have problems with heath and housing and people living on the streets but i worry about SF as lots of people who i have spoken too are feed up / bored with the FG FF angle and want change .
Looking forward to see how this unfolds in the morning

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm
Out early this morning and voted .
I must say i am happy with Leo , now yes we have problems with heath and housing and people living on the streets but i worry about SF as lots of people who i have spoken too are feed up / bored with the FG FF angle and want change .
Looking forward to see how this unfolds in the morning
I went out early too ...and voted for SInn Féin.The conservative parties have corruptly ruled the 26 counties for the benefit of the elite for long enough..anyone who is happy with that is not on the side of change or making a difference for working class people and must be well off or part of the corruption...health, housing, homelessness, low paid jobs, huge rent increases and ordinary people put to the pin of their collars to survive economically are only some of the reasons. The bank bail out and the transfer of property for derisory sums to international vulture funds are others. I could go on and on.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 pm

First mention in the media recently regarding an all Ireland ref on Irish unity! Only a matter of time now. Rejoice.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 pm
First mention in the media recently regarding an all Ireland ref on Irish unity! Only a matter of time now. Rejoice.
First I’ve heard of this. Can't see the North agreeing to it although my feeling is the North is slowly starting to see the light. Also can’t see Bojo wanting to be the leader of the Conservative and Unionist party who breaks up the Union.

derryclaret
Been Liked: 185 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by derryclaret » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:37 pm
After all the hype it's to be hoped that Sein Fein don't bomb.
Exit poll
FG22.4
SF22.3
FF22.2
Neck and neck, it's going to be a fascinating day tomorrow!
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 pm
First I’ve heard of this. Can't see the North agreeing to it although my feeling is the North is slowly starting to see the light. Also can’t see Bojo wanting to be the leader of the Conservative and Unionist party who breaks up the Union.
Johnson's already taken a massive step towards breaking up the Union in order to "get Brexit done" (quickly)

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 pm
Johnson's already taken a massive step towards breaking up the Union in order to "get Brexit done" (quickly)
I feel he’s relying on the DUP to scupper any attempt at a vote but I still think it is coming.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Marty Dobson wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm
I went out early too ...and voted for SInn Féin.The conservative parties have corruptly ruled the 26 counties for the benefit of the elite for long enough..anyone who is happy with that is not on the side of change or making a difference for working class people and must be well off or part of the corruption...health, housing, homelessness, low paid jobs, huge rent increases and ordinary people put to the pin of their collars to survive economically are only some of the reasons. The bank bail out and the transfer of property for derisory sums to international vulture funds are others. I could go on and on.
A UK wide referendum on Ulster's future, matched with an All- Ireland Referendum would be interesting, to say the least ... there was a certain view in parts of British Politics 30 years ago to give the Unionists £2bn, and let them declare UDI ....
This would give the problem back to the Irish and the EU ....

Marty Dobson

Post by Marty Dobson » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:11 am

Clarets4me wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 pm
A UK wide referendum on Ulster's future, matched with an All- Ireland Referendum would be interesting, to say the least ... there was a certain view in parts of British Politics 30 years ago to give the Unionists £2bn, and let them declare UDI ....
This would give the problem back to the Irish and the EU ....
A bit late for that ....the Good Friday Agreement states that it is for the people of the island of Ireland voting by referenda to decide on their future.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:13 am

How about a European wide election on Britain leaving Europe?

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:26 am

Marty Dobson wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:11 am
A bit late for that ....the Good Friday Agreement states that it is for the people of the island of Ireland voting by referenda to decide on their future.
I did state that view had a certain currency 30 years ago ...

I'd be happy for an all Ireland referendum, presumably Ulster would have to say " Yes " to a United Ireland, but joint citizenship should come to an end, you are either a UK passport holder, or an Irish/EU passport holder. I was in Mexico at the time of the " swine flu " scare, and it was amazing how many " plastic paddy's " wheeled out their British Passports, when it suited .... ;)

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 am

corporal jones wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 pm
To be fair, depending on which media source you read the rumours have been circulating for months especially with brexit & the border dilemma. The reunification idea coupled with the hard brexiteers forward thinking vision chimed with some sections of the Irish populace wanting independence especially the catholic majority.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:26 am
........ joint citizenship should come to an end, you are either a UK passport holder, or an Irish/EU passport holder.
Why? Dual citizenship is very common throughout the world and becoming more so. I know of people who are citizens of 4 countries due to birth, parentage, work, residency, and / or marriage. Why should you be forced to decide what nationality you are?
My grandchildren are entitled to citizenship of 3 countries but at present are simply dual nationals. They've no choice in this at present, but as they grow older why should they be forced to choose between the nationality of their 2 parents?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:26 am
I did state that view had a certain currency 30 years ago ...

I'd be happy for an all Ireland referendum, presumably Ulster would have to say " Yes " to a United Ireland, but joint citizenship should come to an end, you are either a UK passport holder, or an Irish/EU passport holder. I was in Mexico at the time of the " swine flu " scare, and it was amazing how many " plastic paddy's " wheeled out their British Passports, when it suited .... ;)
I agree, if you are going to do something you might as well go all hog then no confusion arises later down the line, you are either in or out, you can't just cherry pick the things you like & don't want to get rid of, whilst wanting to become seperate.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 pm

How would an all-Ireland referendum work? Their populations are approximately 6m and 2m. If enough people in Ireland voted one way, it would make the Northern Irish vote null and void.

Would the both have their own refs and the same outcome have to win both?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 pm

It’d be a combined 1 referendum irrespective of any factors. Depending on the outcome that could be the end result before the start in a strange twist, United as a whole. The premise being to hypothetically dismantle the 2 as 1 entity & then revert back if the majority decide to continue with the way things are.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:26 pm
Why? Dual citizenship is very common throughout the world and becoming more so. I know of people who are citizens of 4 countries due to birth, parentage, work, residency, and / or marriage. Why should you be forced to decide what nationality you are?
My grandchildren are entitled to citizenship of 3 countries but at present are simply dual nationals. They've no choice in this at present, but as they grow older why should they be forced to choose between the nationality of their 2 parents?
Completely with you on this. I'm dual, and so are my children. Nobody is conflicted in any way, though all of us are disappointed at losing EU citizenship. If you can feel comfortable being "Burnley", and English; then it's not a big stretch to understand how someone could be a dual or triple national.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 pm
How would an all-Ireland referendum work? Their populations are approximately 6m and 2m. If enough people in Ireland voted one way, it would make the Northern Irish vote null and void.

Would the both have their own refs and the same outcome have to win both?
Whatever the structure, Northern Ireland would have to vote for a United Ireland for it to happen. There are commitments in place on that.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 pm
Oooh Irish Nationalism.

Should please the political left
English or american nationalism = bad, racist, nazi's
Nationalism from any other country = self determination, freedom, proud people who should be encouraged and supported
These 3 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf claretandy Stayingup

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Strong showing for Sinn Fein as predicted,Varadkar ruling out coalition with SF and that's been his constant line throughout,however FF more cautious and not ruling any potential coalition partners out just yet.

SF getting ambitious i can't see how a government can be formed without either FF or FG but we'll have to see how the numbers develop.

Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said she will talk to everybody and "listen to everybody ... it's my object to deliver solutions."

She said she has not yet heard from Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael, but she had spoken to the Greens, the Social Democrats and Solidarity-People Before Profit about the formation of the next government.

She said it is not an overstatement to say this election has been historic and constitutional change and unification has never been so close and they need to make preparations.

However, she said she does not know when there will be a border poll. She said Sinn Féin wants to form a government without Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil.

Labour tanking here as well Former tánaiste and Labour Party leader Joan Burton has been eliminated on the fifth count in Dublin West.

And even Varadkar had the indignity of SF topping the poll in his Dublin West constituency and he was only elected on the 5th count.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 am

Damo wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm
Should please the political left
English or american nationalism = bad, racist, nazi's
Nationalism from any other country = self determination, freedom, proud people who should be encouraged and supported
You could have been describing James O'Brien there, Irish/Scottish nationalism good,English nationalism bad, racist, xenophobic.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:23 am

Sounds like SF will win the popular vote with about 24% but have fewer seats. They will have to somehow be invited to help form a government or they will become the official opposition and get the soapbox of that status for the next few years.

The Irish very upset with housing rents in bubble Dublin and the health service, hence the move among the young to a far left populist party who claim the troubles are ancient history and the IRA no longer wield influence north or south of the border.

I don’t think Brexit played a massive role but could still have been a decisive one given the margins. I have been writing on here for 3 years that Varadkar playing tough will come back to hurt Ireland because he was persuading his voters that he has more strength that he has, now even tougher nationalist voices have been voted in. The EU lovers disagreed with me, but lets see what happens.

No way can Johnson offer too many compromises with SF pulling the strings, he is better shoring up his base, he’ll be loved for it if SF are the opposition, so Irish fishermen and farmers look to me to be in deep trouble.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 am

SF story just keeps rolling .
Now FG are not going to row in with them but FF hummmm just might talk about U turns .
The pitcure will be clearer tonight , now as one friend said to me better let SF take power as they will make a complete feck of it and we will not hear from them for another 100 years .

Marty Dobson

Post by Marty Dobson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 am
Now FG are not going to row in with them but FF hummmm just might talk about U turns .
The pitcure will be clearer tonight , now as one friend said to me better let SF take power as they will make a complete feck of it and we will not hear from them for another 100 years .
Sore loser 😅😅
This user liked this post: fatboy47

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
If SF want a role in government surely they'll have to rule out any prospect of Irish unity,at least in the imminent future.

Deputy First Minister and Sinn Féin deputy leader Michelle O'Neill says the party will bring its desire to hold an Irish unity referendum within five years into any coalition talks in the Republic of Ireland.

Already Unionists in the north are dismissing this as a protest vote.

DUP leader Arlene Foster says the election was about domestic policies and it appears younger voters flocked to Sinn Féin in a “protest vote”.

"One quarter of the vote is hardly a stunning endorsement of the idea there should be a border poll," Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, DUP, tells BBC NI's Nolan Show.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm

So we have a 3 way split , now what ?
SF will talk to anyone and have already .
As for a United Ireland who knows but more problems than answers really , i know many people who are happy as where we are now . Times change people do also but Orange and Green are two different colours .

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am

Tribesmen wrote:
That was the comment when the SNP gain support and eventually headed up the Scottish government. Ten years later, they retain popular support for their people policies.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am
That was the comment when the SNP gain support and eventually headed up the Scottish government. Ten years later, they retain popular support for their people policies.
Different country and very different circumstances.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 am

Stayingup wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am
Different country and very different circumstances.
I think that was probably said in Scotland too. Time will reveal the outcome. Interesting.

United Ireland may be a step nearer.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 am
I think that was probably said in Scotland too. Time will reveal the outcome. Interesting.

United Ireland may be a step nearer.
One step forward , one step back really .
Not sure who really wants an united Ireland apart from SF . We have peace now on the whole would hate to see Ireland go back to the gun again .
Peace is a fantastic feeling i must say to everyone on this Island .

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Not sure who really wants an united Ireland apart from SF .
Don't forget another group - people commenting from afar who don't have a dog in the fight but think it's something about being anti-English.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm
Whatever the structure, Northern Ireland would have to vote for a United Ireland for it to happen. There are commitments in place on that.
No, Jakubclaret said it would be a " combined 1 referendum irrespective of any factors." And he always does his research before posting.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm
No, Jakubclaret said it would be a " combined 1 referendum irrespective of any factors." And he always does his research before posting.
Listening to a respected Irish journalist last night on LBC she was saying some sort of coalition is likely. Irish politics is notoriously difficult to understand with needing to understand the history, not many people fully understand.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm
One step forward , one step back really .
Not sure who really wants an united Ireland apart from SF . We have peace now on the whole would hate to see Ireland go back to the gun again .
Peace is a fantastic feeling i must say to everyone on this Island .
It would have to be by consent.
Leaving Europe and what that does for Nothern Ireland, is something which will play out, over time too.