The Bournemouth fairytale.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: The Bournemouth fairytale.

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Transfer embargo was real enough for the Utd Debt as were the risks we took under Flood's input (it is his way and overall he has done well from it with a few big bumps along the way) though it is not a way I am comfortable with for our club

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:59 am
I seem to remember we would have posted a loss of around £9m if we would not have been promoted under Coyle...not sure that is classified as cheating. We may have been taking a big risk yes but not sure we deliberately broke any rules like Bournemouth did.

I think Preston posted losses of around £9m in the year we went up under Coyle as there were stories saying our losses would have been similar.

I can’t remember anything about a transfer embargo. Do you have a link you can post - I’ve had a quick look but can’t find any news report about it.
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... #popup-sso
It was kept quiet at the time but has been discussed on messageboards. But basically we couldn't afford the payments on Chris Eagles so United reported us and got us a transfer ban.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... #popup-sso
It was kept quiet at the time but has been discussed on messageboards. But basically we couldn't afford the payments on Chris Eagles so United reported us and got us a transfer ban.
Not sure that’s a credible source to be honest or that it was any kind of official transfer embargo - that’s not the kind of thing that is kept out of the news.
We would have been reported to the football authorities surely and given the kind of club United were and are they would not thought twice about making sure this was made public.

I can’t remember a point in time when Coyle was not able to make any transfers either. Again I think that’s something we would have known about and remembered.

But I may well be wrong and I am getting older !

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 am
There are no fairytales in football, it's a business. You win any way you can.

We overspent on Chris Eagles to get promoted to the premier league the first time round. People on here conveniently forget we went under a transfer embargo for not paying United their fee.
But it paid off for us in the end. Getting the riches that paid off all our debts and let us come back for another shot at the big time.

Who knows where we would be without our cheating?
What transfer embargo ???? I have certainly forgot about it assuming there was one...

How about some proper proof for a comment like hat Qtt please..... not from Mr completely unreliable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

It didn't come out until way after the event so it wasn't a problem for anyone, or a big deal made.

I will try and find a better source than the manager at the time for you.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm

If it came from Mr Coyle’s mouth then my guess it might be the kind of “transfer embargo” where the chairman says we have no more money for players.
It’s the kind of thing that Coyle would say to remind everyone of the miracle he performed at the club.

Telling the truth was not one of his best assets

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:26 pm
Kohl is Black in German maybe that is the reason...
I don't know if you are being serious but I am!

Black in German is schwartz. Kohl is cabbage!

Howe has done really well at Bournemouth of course but when they were bottom of League Two they had a side that was relegated from League One for technical reasons - it was a League One side and a pretty good one too. It's no wonder therefore that they flew up the lower leagues once they got over the penalty points.

Any manager of clubs outside the big six that can keep them in the Premier League on a regular basis is doing a good job.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:59 am
I seem to remember we would have posted a loss of around £9m if we would not have been promoted under Coyle...not sure that is classified as cheating. We may have been taking a big risk yes but not sure we deliberately broke any rules like Bournemouth did.

I think Preston posted losses of around £9m in the year we went up under Coyle as there were stories saying our losses would have been similar.

I can’t remember anything about a transfer embargo. Do you have a link you can post - I’ve had a quick look but can’t find any news report about it.
We didn't break FFP rules, We obviously must have broken some form of FA or EFL rules as we had the transfer embargo for non-payment of an Eagles instalment which was disclosed a little later. Whether that is breaking enough rules to class as cheating, who knows.

This was Coyle on it https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... ley-566851 but it's been confirmed multiple times.

Interestingly he references Scunthorpe here which would have been Paterson I assume
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english ... -in-sports

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:13 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:58 pm
We didn't break FFP rules, We obviously must have broken some form of FA or EFL rules as we had the transfer embargo for non-payment of an Eagles instalment which was disclosed a little later. Whether that is breaking enough rules to class as cheating, who knows.

This was Coyle on it https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... ley-566851 but it's been confirmed multiple times.
That’s the same article as already posted above. It’s an article saying that Coyle said there was an embargo. I cannot find any other reference or article on this embargo which seems unusual since you are saying it’s been confirmed multiple times.
It seems unusual that this transfer embargo was not made public - it’s very noble of Coyle to not tell anybody and not even his staff.
Doesn’t sound much like a normal football manager who has such a big restriction put on him that he would not tell people about this and not even his own staff ???
It’s not like this was the 1970s - it was 10 years ago. Surely somebody (like Coyle !) would have leaked something like this to the press. What was the club saying every time they were asked about new signings ?

Just seems an unusual set of circumstances and a lack of information out there about it.

Edit - just read your ESPN article !

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:13 pm
That’s the same article as already posted above. It’s an article saying that Coyle said there was an embargo. I cannot find any other reference or article on this embargo which seems unusual since you are saying it’s been confirmed multiple times.
It seems unusual that this transfer embargo was not made public - it’s very noble of Coyle to not tell anybody and not even his staff.
Doesn’t sound much like a normal football manager who has such a big restriction put on him that he would not tell people about this and not even his own staff ???
It’s not like this was the 1970s - it was 10 years ago. Surely somebody (like Coyle !) would have leaked something like this to the press. What was the club saying every time they were asked about new signings ?

Just seems an unusual set of circumstances and a lack of information out there about it.

Edit - just read your ESPN article !
When searching for an article about it earlier, I came across one about Sheff Wednesday having an embargo but paid the debt within a week so came out of it straight away.
They then went and got another one 6 weeks later.

I think they could be very common in football and if not in the transfer windows, it doesn't matter one bit.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 pm
When searching for an article about it earlier, I came across one about Sheff Wednesday having an embargo but paid the debt within a week so came out of it straight away.
They then went and got another one 6 weeks later.

I think they could be very common in football and if not in the transfer windows, it doesn't matter one bit.
Yep maybe it’s these short term ones that don’t make the press. Guess it makes sense if you are late on a payment and there is a process for the selling club to report it that they can sanction you or put on an embargo on you until you’ve paid up.
The bans that make the news are more like the Chelsea ones which apply across one or more transfer windows.

I’m guessing ours fell into the short term category as I am pretty sure that we were on to only lose £9m if we would not have gone up and didn’t Modus / Flood lend the club £6m which we had to pay back when Modus got into trouble - but luckily we had the Premier League money ?
If we would not have been promoted then ironically the loan that Modus gave us would still have to have been repaid because of the commercial property crash and Modus going bust - which would have sent us into administration too presumably.

Like I said I don’t think we were cheating - sailing too close to the wind with the likes of Flood for sure.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Jordan Ibe what an idiot,it's a good job footballers aren't paid for their brainpower.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51452028

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm
Jordan Ibe what an idiot,it's a good job footballers aren't paid for their brainpower.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51452028
Surely the wrong link?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 am

tim_noone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 pm
Surely the wrong link?
probably should have been this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-51458911

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

According to the Daily Telegraph piece on the trial, Ibe "only agreed to a police interview after crashing his £130,000 Bentley when an officer threatened to arrest him during a match" :D (that would've been a novel occurrence for most spectators I think).

Also, despite his defence's assertion that he "had waited at the scene for a reasonable length of time but no-one was available to exchange details with."; a witness who lived above the shop, and was woken by the crash, said he scarpered straight away.