Gibson training at Middlesbrough

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Re: Gibson training at Middlesbrough

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 pm
Yes they have in the last 4 or 5 games but I am asking about before that
So you’d say that Mee and Tarks have had more bad games than good/outstanding ones over many games and seasons?

How many times have Mee/Tarks been injured or suspended?

How many times has Gibson excelled when given an opportunity?

How much of their fees do you think we’ll recoup when Gibson and the Czech Messi leave the club? (Wells we pretty much got our fee back and allowed us to get our man in Brownhill).

How many times has Gibson had injuries/niggles? (And missed opportunities ie. Norwich in cup and others).

Less than £20 million for three top quality centre halves is remarkable business these days.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 pm
Tarkowski was signed to replace Shackell in terms of numbers while knowing also that Duff was coming to an end.

Gibson was signed to replace Keane after we had got away with one defender short for a year.
Agreed, but it was also common knowledge or at least common belief for much of Tarkowski's first 18 months, that Keane would be leaving in Summer 2017 and Tarkowski would be favourite to get his place in the side. I'd be surprised if Tarkowski wasn't persuaded to keep his nose clean partly because of the carrot of a vacant place in the team when Keane left, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson didn't expect something similar.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm
Agreed, but it was also common knowledge or at least common belief for much of Tarkowski's first 18 months, that Keane would be leaving in Summer 2017 and Tarkowski would be favourite to get his place in the side. I'd be surprised if Tarkowski wasn't persuaded to keep his nose clean partly because of the carrot of a vacant place in the team when Keane left, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson didn't expect something similar.
I posted this earlier but when Tarkowski signed there wasn’t the remotest suggestion that Keane would be moving on 18 months later. Keane was still establishing his place in a Championship team. We had lost Shackell, Duff had played his last game and we needed a new central defender.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 am

Not knocking Dyche but his loyalty to those wearing the shirt would cause problems at bigger clubs. Its worked for him here, but there has been other cases which could have got out of hand.

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 am

Bad business all round. Paying a record fee for a player as "cover" makes no sense. If you want cover, sign Erik Pieters type players. Wasn't Cahill available at the time? - can't remember.

So instead, 3 days after Gibson signs, Mee signs and we have created a problem for ourselves. We have a record signing who has no path into the starting XI. That was never going to end well.

Begs the question - did we really know what Mee's intentions were at the time? If we knew he wasn't going anywhere, then why record money on his back up? Especially when there were other areas of the team where that money might have been better spent.

I do feel badly for the way it has worked out for Gibson, and I would hope questions are being asked about the recruitment strategy - we can't afford 15M players not even making the bench.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 CaptJohn

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:03 am

It’s funny you mention Pieters since he can play centre half.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 am

Lord_Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 am
Bad business all round. Paying a record fee for a player as "cover" makes no sense. If you want cover, sign Erik Pieters type players. Wasn't Cahill available at the time? - can't remember.

So instead, 3 days after Gibson signs, Mee signs and we have created a problem for ourselves. We have a record signing who has no path into the starting XI. That was never going to end well.

Begs the question - did we really know what Mee's intentions were at the time? If we knew he wasn't going anywhere, then why record money on his back up? Especially when there were other areas of the team where that money might have been better spent.

I do feel badly for the way it has worked out for Gibson, and I would hope questions are being asked about the recruitment strategy - we can't afford 15M players not even making the bench.
Wasn't Mee being randomly linked with Spurs at the time by a few papers ?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am

Lord_Bob wrote:

I’m sure questions are definitely being asked about our poor recruitment as we currently sit in the top half of the top division......
This user liked this post: Greenmile

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 am

This is bonkers. How bad must things have been between the club and Gibson for us to think this was a solution?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am

Lord_Bob wrote:

That’s just nonsense. With 4 straight seasons in the prem we can afford 15m players not making the bench....what we can’t afford is not having players ready to come in to cover injuries to Mee or Tarks.

Not sure why some people on here don’t understand yet that we have moved into a bigger pond where the finances are beyond belief at times. We are competing with the likes of Man U who were happy to pay someone 500k per week to barely make the bench for over a year....

You have to have 25 players good enough to play to cover for injuries and suspensions in every position. Just because we get a good deal on a left back (Pieters) does not mean this is possible in every position. Also there are certain positions in the team that are more important to have top dollar quality in reserve (basically the spine of the team, certainly centre halves, goalkeepers and forwards...).

Everyone on here wants champagne football on beer money....

What questions would you like to ask about a recruitment policy that is making money for the club?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:22 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 pm
A mate of mine who has a box at the Riverside Stadium reckons that Gibson will be on the subs bench for Boro this weekend

From a very reliable source within the club he has been told they have him for the rest of the season and will sign him on a permanent deal in the summer
Can't believe you've managed to catch a few with that one :D

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:03 pm
While you and Boysie are knee deep in your own p1ss.
Careful, if you criticise those who do nothing but criticise their bottom lip starts going.

It is like a competition between the pair who can be the most stupid and weak. Suppose to be fair to Boysie he gripes non stop about transfers where as the other clown spends about 99% of his/her time on here posting negative dross about anything, all over any negative thread but absent from anything decent.
This user liked this post: Bin Ont Turf

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 am

I condemn Gibson acting like a knob if that is what he has done. “Posh kids” don’t do well at Burnley, Bamford being the other example. They don’t seem to have the grit for the “train as you play” environment.

But.....

I do have sympathy for Gibson too. His debut was alongside the far inferior Kevin Long against Istanbul at home, then he was dumped in the deep end in the Athens cauldron, again with Long alongside him, and in both games he had two left backs playing to the left of him. While his nightmare errors and sending off were the main reason for our exit, that was far too intense an atmosphere for a patched up side.

He then unluckily got an inguinal hernia, keeping him out just when Ben Mee was having a nightmare for a dozen games. Ben’s form uplifted in line with our results after Tom got back in.

Gibson then played Barnsley, again with Long, and again with a left back at left wing, but this time with Tarky at right back. He played City away in the next round, with another weird line up, Sunderland this season, same again.

His only league game against Everton was in that disaster of a 5 man defensive experiment where we were behind immediately.

So....somebody who is a reserve who relies on cups, yet plays for a man who treats them like some kind of boil needing to be lanced, Gibson has my full sympathy. How he can impress is lost on me.
These 3 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Sproggy jrgbfc

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:50 am

Be interesting to hear what SD has to say on the matter at his press conference this afternoon

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 am

Think that’s a pretty good summary to be honest Crosspool.

It’s not worked out for him because of a combination of bad luck with injuries and his limited opportunities to impress coming in far from ideal circumstances. If you to this an undoubted stubbornness from Dyche to change his team even when things are going badly (which is also seen as a positive by many people) then it’s been tough for Gibson.
The other piece of “luck” that has never come his way is coming into a side instead of Tarks or Mee when we are doing well as a result of an injury or suspension.
Given the quality he showed at Boro there is every chance that if he would have come into a confident side for 3 or 4 games to cover an injury or suspension that he would have done well and that just like SD has done with all players he would have kept his place for a lot longer.

None of this excuses his actions now btw - neither does it make the decision to buy him a mistake at the time.
This user liked this post: CrosspoolClarets

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm
They will be in serious trouble if they do put him on the bench when he’s not their player
I agree with this statement from Tony - but you dont spend 15 million on a back up

A bigger club than us will do but we cant be doing that.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 am

I fully support our continued trolling of Middlesbrough. Sending a player to train with them, who they desperately want to sign but can't, is fine work.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan SparkyClaret

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 am

What's the betting Tarks and or Mee pick up an injury at Sarfampton...

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am
That’s just nonsense. With 4 straight seasons in the prem we can afford 15m players not making the bench....what we can’t afford is not having players ready to come in to cover injuries to Mee or Tarks.

Not sure why some people on here don’t understand yet that we have moved into a bigger pond where the finances are beyond belief at times. We are competing with the likes of Man U who were happy to pay someone 500k per week to barely make the bench for over a year....

You have to have 25 players good enough to play to cover for injuries and suspensions in every position. Just because we get a good deal on a left back (Pieters) does not mean this is possible in every position. Also there are certain positions in the team that are more important to have top dollar quality in reserve (basically the spine of the team, certainly centre halves, goalkeepers and forwards...).

Everyone on here wants champagne football on beer money....

What questions would you like to ask about a recruitment policy that is making money for the club?

No we cannot afford 15 million signings not even making the bench - wake up
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 am

All the speculation on here and other threads does my head in. We dont know whats actually happened, there may be a perfectly valid reason for Gibson to be training at Boro, I understand that it is unlikely but there's no point in guessing and getting wound up by it.

As to why he's not been "given" a chance... perhaps he's not been able to break into one of the best defensive units in the Premier League...

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... d8N8ccCFqk

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 am
All the speculation on here and other threads does my head in. We dont know whats actually happened, there may be a perfectly valid reason for Gibson to be training at Boro, I understand that it is unlikely but there's no point in guessing and getting wound up by it.

As to why he's not been "given" a chance... perhaps he's not been able to break into one of the best defensive units in the Premier League...

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... d8N8ccCFqk
Surely you can shed some light on the situation?

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am
But we can and we have. It has not cost us 15m because we have an asset worth probably circa 15m. You are really not getting it are you......the fact that he has acted like this could knock some money off his price but we should get most of what we paid back...

If you compare this squad to the one 5 years ago we have moved forward immeasurably in terms of the quality we have on the bench now. This is called progress. If expensive players come in and prove to be unable to get in the team then you just get rid. All it means is that the ones in the team are doing well and improving their value...and we are being successful

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am
But we can and we have. It has not cost us 15m because we have an asset worth probably circa 15m. You are really not getting it are you......the fact that he has acted like this could knock some money off his price but we should get most of what we paid back...

If you compare this squad to the one 5 years ago we have moved forward immeasurably in terms of the quality we have on the bench now. This is called progress. If expensive players come in and prove to be unable to get in the team then you just get rid. All it means is that the ones in the team are doing well and improving their value...and we are being successful
Wouldnt call it progress when our CB cover is still Kevin Long 5 years later
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 am

"The other piece of “luck” that has never come his way is coming into a side instead of Tarks or Mee when we are doing well as a result of an injury or suspension."
.................... or .................
"The other piece of “luck” that has never come his way is coming into a side instead of Tarks or Mee when we are doing well, as a result of an injury or suspension."

What a difference a tiny comma makes.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am

We will not get anything near 5 million back as not kicked a ball for 2 years so now also 2 years older - remember Drinkwater was the same as not kicked a ball for a while but people on here were buzzing when he signed - i was not one of them and again proved right.
This user liked this post: Blackburn_Claret

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 am
We will not get anything near 5 million back as not kicked a ball for 2 years so now also 2 years older - remember Drinkwater was the same as not kicked a ball for a while but people on here were buzzing when he signed - i was not one of them and again proved right.
Wtf has a loan player got to do with it.....you are always right, that’s why everyone disagrees with you....

We will get much of what we paid back whilst Tarky’s value has increased 10 fold....so net gain I would think

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 am
What a sad state if affairs this has turned out to be :(

Got to feel for the lad
Yeah £40,000 per week.
Last edited by Billy Balfour on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am
Wtf has a loan player got to do with it.....you are always right, that’s why everyone disagrees with you....

We will get much of what we paid back whilst Tarky’s value has increased 10 fold....so net gain I would think
What as tarkys value got to do with gibson?

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am
What as tarkys value got to do with gibson?
One thinks if you look at values reducing for not playing one should offset it by looking at values gained by playing, pretty obvious if you have a brain....

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am
One thinks if you look at values reducing for not playing one should offset it by looking at values gained by playing, pretty obvious if you have a brain....
Sorry Albert

Tall Paul
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am
Of course we can, as evidenced by the fact that we've had one for the last 18 months or so and haven't been relegated or gone bust.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 am

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 am
Think that’s a pretty good summary to be honest Crosspool.

It’s not worked out for him because of a combination of bad luck with injuries and his limited opportunities to impress coming in far from ideal circumstances. If you to this an undoubted stubbornness from Dyche to change his team even when things are going badly (which is also seen as a positive by many people) then it’s been tough for Gibson.
The other piece of “luck” that has never come his way is coming into a side instead of Tarks or Mee when we are doing well as a result of an injury or suspension.
Given the quality he showed at Boro there is every chance that if he would have come into a confident side for 3 or 4 games to cover an injury or suspension that he would have done well and that just like SD has done with all players he would have kept his place for a lot longer.

None of this excuses his actions now btw - neither does it make the decision to buy him a mistake at the time.
No it doesn't as a paid professional you should stay put, but assuming prior to signing he was promised the shirt (mee uncertain at the time) wouldn't you be a little bit pi**ed off I know I would, it's 6 of 1 & half a dozen of the other, the lad wants to play regular football he joined the club on that basis thinking that's what he was going to get.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:25 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 am
We will not get anything near 5 million back
Hilarious!

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am

Nobody is promised a shirt. We'd be running things really badly if they were.

Really nothing to get too upset about with this situation. An expensive signing that hasn't worked out for the player, unfortunately. Difficult to see why anyone sensible has a problem with it - he's not got in the team because our centre halves have been very good on the whole. That's a good thing.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan Holtyclaret LeadBelly

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am
Of course we can, as evidenced by the fact that we've had one for the last 18 months or so and haven't been relegated or gone bust.
But waited 4 windows for a midfielder - yeah get your drift

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am

Really nothing to get too upset about with this situation. An expensive signing that hasn't worked out for the player, unfortunately. Difficult to see why anyone sensible has a problem with it - he's not got in the team because our centre halves have been very good on the whole. That's a good thing.
I would say 8 out of our squad is

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am
I would say 8 out of our squad is
Is that because they're pals with Dyche or because they're the best players in their positions? just want to gauge your understanding of football management...

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am

If the transfer window is shutting & a starter defender who you need could be leaving, you'd promise anything to get that player to sign, when potentially it could have led to relegation, a scenario of him not signing & mee leaving & no other incoming CHs.

Tall Paul
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:30 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am
But waited 4 windows for a midfielder - yeah get your drift
You think we "waited 4 windows for a midfielder" because we had a £15m defender in the squad who couldn't get on the bench?

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 am

Genuinely can't see Dyche doing that. Can you? Mee wasn't leaving anyway.

Pretty sure Gibson will have come knowing he had a fight on his hands to get in the team. Always seemed a decent lad like that, prior to this.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
Is that because they're pals with Dyche or because they're the best players in their positions? just want to gauge your understanding of football management...
You tell me Zlatan as plenty of poor games this season from the select 8 but hey ho they appear the next game.

Its only this season that he has swopped and changed his full backs but hopefully Taylor stays injury free - but right back neither are good enough

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am

Anyway he will be gone in the summer along with Vydra and Hart and maybe a few more.

Let the rebuilding begin

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am
You tell me Zlatan as plenty of poor games this season from the select 8 but hey ho they appear the next game.

Its only this season that he has swopped and changed his full backs but hopefully Taylor stays injury free - but right back neither are good enough
Plenty of people have tried and failed to tell you more accurately how it is, what makes you think I'm special enough to inform the enlightened BOYSIE31 about football management...

...but as you asked.

Our team is based upon a clear framework where players know their roles in the team and perform that role to the best of their abilities. Our management team see each and every one of our players during training and have all sorts of statistics from sports scientists who can inform them who is best placed to play in each position. The management team select the best team from the squad to fulfil the requirements of each game, and it is no surprise to me that a regular set of players are selected, primarily because they happen to be the best players.

When a player has a bad game (Taylor for instance when he lost the ball recently that led directly to a goal) that may be a factor against the player, but there are many more parameters available that the manager has at his disposal which can affect his team selection. The fans (you and me) see a mistake and some think said player should be dropped for the next game. The management see a mistake, and instead of dropping said player decide that it is an opportunity to learn from and may add that aspect to the requirements for the position and assign it a value against which to be measured.

The fact that our 2 central defenders has performed relatively consistently in the joint best defence in the Premier League if you exclude Liverpool means that our £15M signing who was given a fair chance (assuming he turned up to training week in week out) to demonstrate his strengths and show that he can displace one of the current 2. The fact that he did not do that is a testament to the current 2 players and is no slight on him, but you fail to understand that because some fans see it as a waste does not mean that it was in fact a waste. Having a high quality player pushing the current 2 players in that position in training meant that as a team we got stronger - that is what having a squad is all about.

But no, you see one mistake here, and another mistake there and call for heads to roll. That's fine, I respect that opinion, but I think it is wrong and I think you are deluded to think many others think like you.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
Plenty of people have tried and failed to tell you more accurately how it is, what makes you think I'm special enough to inform the enlightened BOYSIE31 about football management...

...but as you asked.

Our team is based upon a clear framework where players know their roles in the team and perform that role to the best of their abilities. Our management team see each and every one of our players during training and have all sorts of statistics from sports scientists who can inform them who is best placed to play in each position. The management team select the best team from the squad to fulfil the requirements of each game, and it is no surprise to me that a regular set of players are selected, primarily because they happen to be the best players.

When a player has a bad game (Taylor for instance when he lost the ball recently that led directly to a goal) that may be a factor against the player, but there are many more parameters available that the manager has at his disposal which can affect his team selection. The fans (you and me) see a mistake and some think said player should be dropped for the next game. The management see a mistake, and instead of dropping said player decide that it is an opportunity to learn from and may add that aspect to the requirements for the position and assign it a value against which to be measured.

The fact that our 2 central defenders has performed relatively consistently in the joint best defence in the Premier League if you exclude Liverpool means that our £15M signing who was given a fair chance (assuming he turned up to training week in week out) to demonstrate his strengths and show that he can displace one of the current 2. The fact that he did not do that is a testament to the current 2 players and is no slight on him, but you fail to understand that because some fans see it as a waste does not mean that it was in fact a waste. Having a high quality player pushing the current 2 players in that position in training meant that as a team we got stronger - that is what having a squad is all about.

But no, you see one mistake here, and another mistake there and call for heads to roll. That's fine, I respect that opinion, but I think it is wrong and I think you are deluded to think many others think like you.

This joint best defence does not show well in the goal difference column - Please explain that ??

If only a game of football was back to being a simple game like Clough used to say

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am
This joint best defence does not show well in the goal difference column - Please explain that ??

If only a game of football was back to being a simple game like Clough used to say
Quite simply the number of clean sheets this season. The high goals against are indicative of particular (better) teams scoring a lot of goals against us in specific games (Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Man City etc). I said our defence was good, not perfect.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:51 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am
Quite simply the number of clean sheets this season. The high goals against are indicative of particular (better) teams scoring a lot of goals against us in specific games (Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Man City etc). I said our defence was good, not perfect.
Aaaah now you get it where there were errors galore :shock:

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:51 am
Aaaah now you get it where there were errors galore :shock:
F#ck me - BOYSIE31 in "highlighting there are better teams than Burnley" shocker...

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:17 pm
I suspect he is very unlikely to turn out to be better than Mee. He has had over 18 months to prove it and has been unable to get in the team. I reckon Dyche as a former centre half and fantastic manager knows who his best centre backs are...Also, looks like he has now shown he has a bad attitude.
You have to perform pretty badly under Dyche to get dropped though. I don't think anyone would dispute that he is very loyal to his starting XI.

Prior to signing for us he looked like he was certainly going to push on in the way that Keane has and probably Tarkowski will. Whether the setback of the last few years will halt that, who knows. As for his attitude, most managers are willing to take a risk on that. One man's bad attitude is another's competitive attitude.
This user liked this post: rob63

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:20 pm

Very sad at this news. Relations between Gibson and the Burnley management team must have broken down completely for this to be sanctioned. However I do seem to remember a player video a few months back where someone was talking about Barnes and his minibus bringing players to training each day. At the time they were laughing and joking about each player but when they got to Gibson they didn't say much but body language gave away the fact that he wasn't really part of the close knit squad. Anyone else pick up on that?

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

Lowton starting to look back to his best, Bardsley is adequate cover but sure he’ll be replaced in the squad by a younger version in the summer.