Gibson training at Middlesbrough

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Safron
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: Gibson training at Middlesbrough

Post by Safron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Let's start a sweep when brownhill gets is first start ,I'll go with April :D

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Taken From a Boro forum:

"Hate to say it but i said in January that Dyche and Gibson were at logger heads and you wouldn't see him in a Burnley shirt till the end of the season.

As much as id like him back, i have been informed that Ben Gibson has been causing rifts and Dyche has had enough.

Our loan was agreed a week before transfer deadline day but then Watford put a spanner in the works with the permanent transfer offer and Burnley pulled the plug. Gibson refused as he only wanted to come back to Boro and thought the deal would be pushed over the line towards the end of the window.

Apparently Gibson went back to Burnley and had another major bust up with Dyche, where Dyche has basically told him hes not welcome at the club.

Apparently his partner never moved with him to Burnley and remained on Teesside and he wants to come back especially with Woodgate at the helm (make of that what you want).

Woodgate isnt going anywhere and the club and preparing for a big rebuild and push next year from what i have heard. Personally i thought it would be another season like this but funds will be made available for a promotion push."

Interesting IF true. Quite a few on there making similar noises.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 pm

They say 'you never miss what you've never had'. This is how I feel about Gibson: he's never played for us for whatever reason so if and when he goes, who cares? It was a financial mistake to buy him but sh!t happens. Let's leave it up to Sean Dyche.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Safron wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Let's start a sweep when brownhill gets is first start ,I'll go with April :D
now tell us which season? 8-)

:D

UTC

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:10 pm

CaptJohn wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:20 pm
Very sad at this news. Relations between Gibson and the Burnley management team must have broken down completely for this to be sanctioned. However I do seem to remember a player video a few months back where someone was talking about Barnes and his minibus bringing players to training each day. At the time they were laughing and joking about each player but when they got to Gibson they didn't say much but body language gave away the fact that he wasn't really part of the close knit squad. Anyone else pick up on that?
Didn't they imply that he was "tight"?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Without doubt Gibson was a replacement or cover for Mee, both left footers, crucial in the modern game where the full back pushes up and the centre back has to move wide and pass the ball upfield to feet. I personally think Gibson is better but who knows, he has never had a chance to prove it and could be one of those good in the Championship not in the Premier.

The issue is there have been spells in the last 2 seasons where Mee has been shocking and making terrible errors, and after a while he returns to his usual rock solid (though poorly distributing) self. The problem is that last season that bad run went on for some time. I speculate that for a man who will never play top six or international football he was bound to be upset at not getting a proper chance in the Europa, sat there being spat at in Athens while his team were getting turned over, he'd have loved to have been on that pitch instead. I think that took disappointment took him a few months to get over, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, that was the time to blood Gibson. But Gibson's injury meant we never got the chance to find out if Dyche would have dropped Mee. Even an out of form Ben is better than Long who is just a plucky last ditch right footed replacement.

Only Dyche knows what has gone on and what was promised (and how good Gibson is in training). It doesn't surprise me though that rumours suggest the main bust up was with Dyche (though that could have resulted from minor bust ups with others). I've been the first to criticise Dyche for being overly-pragmatic and never taking a risk with our league survival but on balance I'll go with the manager on this one.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 am
Genuinely can't see Dyche doing that. Can you? Mee wasn't leaving anyway.

Pretty sure Gibson will have come knowing he had a fight on his hands to get in the team. Always seemed a decent lad like that, prior to this.
Who knows, the only thing we do know is that he's left in the most bizarre of circumstances I've never known anything like it, yes you get the transfer requests & sulking prior I've known that before, but not after such a period of time returning back to the club we bought him from, anyhow I'm bored of talking about now & inbetween what everybody is saying, claret & Boro alike the truth probably lies in the middle

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm

What’s happening with Gibson will be a big learning curve for the club. What it’s showing to me is that the real power is in the hand of the player, especially one in demand. No one will know if what we ultimately get for him in the summer will be more or as I suspect less than what was offered in January for him.

Robbie Savage said that if a player wants a move they will ultimately get one. Gibson could if he wanted run down his contract where we would have no resale value and him pocketing his wage for the next two and a half years.

If Dyche doesn’t think he good enough playing for us surely then it makes sense to pocket the cash selling a player who doesn’t want to be hear to a relegation rival as they will have a player inferior to ours thus making them weaker. The club will learn that whilst a player should be loyal and knuckle down and fight for a place if this happens again with one of our player’s just get the cash and move on to a replacement.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:40 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am
This joint best defence does not show well in the goal difference column - Please explain that ??
It could be down to the Charlie Taylor affect. With him on the pitch our defence looks a lot more solid and we haven't conceded a lot of goals. We have also registered a higher ratio of clean sheets.

Charlie Taylor

Taylor has played a total of 1035 minutes for us this season, which is the equivalent of 11.5 periods of 90 minutes.

During that game time we conceded 8 goals, which is less than 1 goal a game.

In the 10 matches he played for a full 90 minutes we conceded 8 goals and recorded 5 clean sheets.

Erik Pieters

Pieters has played a total of 1215 minutes for us this season, which is the equivalent of 13.5 periods of 90 minutes.

During that game time we conceded 31 goals, which is more than 2 goals a game.

In the 12 matches he played for a full 90 minutes we conceded 26 goals and recorded 5 clean sheets.

Matches Involving Both

The games that they both played in offer a more direct comparison.

They both played well in the Everton game and we kept a clean sheet. Taylor was on the pitch for the first 55 minutes and Pieters saw out the rest of the match.

In the Sheffield United match Pieters started the game for us and we conceded 3 goals in the first half. Taylor came on to play 44 minutes of the second half and Sheffield failed to add to their goal tally, but they did ease off a bit.

In the Crystal palace match we looked very dominant in the first half. Pieters replaced Taylor at the 54 minute mark and we imploded, conceding 2 goals in the remaining 35 minutes.

Conclusion

The 31 goals that we have conceded with Erik in the left back slot has had a huge impact on our goal difference column.

Obviously the strength of our opponents changes between our matches, so using minutes for minutes can be misleading in terms of a fair comparison. However, the pronounced difference in our overall defensive performance with Taylor on the pitch is quite significant.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan tim_noone

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:40 pm
It could be down to the Charlie Taylor affect. With him on the pitch our defence looks a lot more solid and we haven't conceded a lot of goals. We have also registered a higher ratio of clean sheets.

Charlie Taylor

Taylor has played a total of 1035 minutes for us this season, which is the equivalent of 11.5 periods of 90 minutes.

During that game time we conceded 8 goals, which is less than 1 goal a game.

In the 10 matches he played for a full 90 minutes we conceded 8 goals and recorded 5 clean sheets.

Erik Pieters

Pieters has played a total of 1215 minutes for us this season, which is the equivalent of 13.5 periods of 90 minutes.

During that game time we conceded 31 goals, which is more than 2 goals a game.

In the 12 matches he played for a full 90 minutes we conceded 26 goals and recorded 5 clean sheets.

Matches Involving Both

The games that they both played in offer a more direct comparison.

They both played well in the Everton game and we kept a clean sheet. Taylor was on the pitch for the first 55 minutes and Pieters saw out the rest of the match.

In the Sheffield United match Pieters started the game for us and we conceded 3 goals in the first half. Taylor came on to play 44 minutes of the second half and Sheffield failed to add to their goal tally, but they did ease off a bit.

In the Crystal palace match we looked very dominant in the first half. Pieters replaced Taylor at the 54 minute mark and we imploded, conceding 2 goals in the remaining 35 minutes.

Conclusion

The 31 goals that we have conceded with Erik in the left back slot has had a huge impact on our goal difference column.

Obviously the strength of our opponents changes between our matches, so using minutes for minutes can be misleading in terms of a fair comparison. However, the pronounced difference in our overall defensive performance with Taylor on the pitch is quite significant.
You could have answered by saying "because we don't score enough :D
These 2 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker Buxtonclaret

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm
What’s happening with Gibson will be a big learning curve for the club. What it’s showing to me is that the real power is in the hand of the player, especially one in demand. No one will know if what we ultimately get for him in the summer will be more or as I suspect less than what was offered in January for him.

Robbie Savage said that if a player wants a move they will ultimately get one. Gibson could if he wanted run down his contract where we would have no resale value and him pocketing his wage for the next two and a half years.

If Dyche doesn’t think he good enough playing for us surely then it makes sense to pocket the cash selling a player who doesn’t want to be hear to a relegation rival as they will have a player inferior to ours thus making them weaker. The club will learn that whilst a player should be loyal and knuckle down and fight for a place if this happens again with one of our player’s just get the cash and move on to a replacement.
It's all well and good saying sell him to a relegation rival, what if the player doesn't want to go to that club as it is miles away from his home / family?

When will the club learn? To me it's quite simple, players signs then has injury problems and due to the form of the centre halves doesn't get a game. Wants to move back to Boro where his heart and home is, not interested in signing for a club even further away from home and anyway their valuation didn't meet ours. Gibson didn't get the move he wanted so caused problems, no point in keeping him.

Can you imagine the hysteria on here had the club flogged him on the cheap? In this situation there isn't much the club can learn is there? Last January Vokes wanted first team football which he wasn't going to get here so the club didn't stand in his way and what's the point in having an unhappy player in the camp?

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm

The problem is that if you cave into the demands of one player it can encourage other players to do the same. The price of defenders has gone up since we bought him, so I can't see why we wouldn't expect to recoup at least what we paid for Gibson if he does move on in the next window. With two years left on his contract he isn't in a very strong position, unless he feels like spending those two years on the bench.

I thought he was a good signing for us. As others have said, his opportunities to play have been hampered by bad luck on a number of ocassions. When the opportunities for playing time have arisen he hasn't been available, through no fault of his own. However, that doesn't justify professional misconduct in any shape or form.

None of us know what has transpired exactly, but it does appear to be a failure on both sides. If we knew Gibson wanted to go out on loan in the last window, and that denying him that opportunity was going to cause us a problem, we should have handled things a lot better. It makes our initial transfer strategy of " we don't expect to do anything " in the Winter window look even more misguided and nieve than it did at the time.

Leaving the whole matter unresolved until the last days of the window was also a big mistake. We could have looked to bring in a player on loan to facilitate his move to Middlesborough for the remainder of the season. Yes, it would have cost us the wages of the loan player and the difference between his wages here and what Middlesborough could afford, but it would have showed some commitment to Gibson. A six month loan would have also raised his visibility and value to the extent that the potential increase in value could have easily countered the decreased value associated with an " unhappy and wants to move " tag and a lack of playing time.

The more worrying aspect to all of this is how it ties into the general feeling at the club. Looking back a year or so ago we had what appeared to be a very close knit team. Sadly, that appears to have gone out of the window in recent times, with important non playing staff jumping ship, the business with Steve Stone and now this.

What the **** is next on the cards, Madge doing an exclusive London Stadium appearance for Sullivan / Gold wearing only a West Ham scarf?

Something seems to be rotten in the state of Burnley and it needs fixing.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm

The more worrying aspect to all of this is how it ties into the general feeling at the club. Looking back a year or so ago we had what appeared to be a very close knit team. Sadly, that appears to have gone out of the window in recent times, with important non playing staff jumping ship, the business with Steve Stone and now this.

Surely an overreaction? We have just taken 7 points from games against Leicester, Man United, and Arsenal; the team looked pretty close-knit and very far from rotten.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:31 pm
Surely an overreaction? We have just taken 7 points from games against Leicester, Man United, and Arsenal; the team looked pretty close-knit and very far from rotten.
By team I was alluding to everyone at the club. The players are definitely pulling in the same direction in terms of their performance out on the pitch at the moment. However, we are experiencing quite a bit of unexpected upheaval in other areas. It isn't approaching Blizzard levels of disruption and general tom fuckery, although we are definitely looking less stable than we have previously been.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:54 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm
By team I was alluding to everyone at the club. The players are definitely pulling in the same direction in terms of their performance out on the pitch at the moment. However, we are experiencing quite a bit of unexpected upheaval in other areas. It isn't approaching Blizzard levels of disruption and general tom fuckery, although we are definitely looking less stable than we have previously been.
Tosh. One player throws the toys out of the pram and we look less stable than previously. Absolute nonsense

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm not going to quote LLT's post however hindsight is a wonderful thing and the poster makes it sound very straightforward to transfer / loan players. This contradicts the factual sentence that none of us know what has transpired.

Perhaps the club needs to get some hindsight to stop the rot?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm

The only thing we're suffering from is PL player-power, IMO.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Shocking signing, he was never gonna be happy sat around not playing because he’s a much better player than that. Who on earth breaks their transfer record to sign a 3rd choice central defender? surely you save money and bring in an older player for cover (Terry/Cahill) or a youngster.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:19 pm

I would imagine his transfer fee will be payable in instalments. If so, it may be the case that there are still substantial payments outstanding to Boro. If he is willing to take a pay cut then it is possible that a deal could be done in summer, without it costing Boro a fortune. Or maybe we could look at some sort of swap deal for Dael Fry, albeit I doubt Gibson will be giving the club a strong endorsement.

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:32 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm
Can you imagine the hysteria on here had the club flogged him on the cheap? In this situation there isn't much the club can learn is there? Last January Vokes wanted first team football which he wasn't going to get here so the club didn't stand in his way and what's the point in having an unhappy player in the camp?
That's a good analogy actually. A lot of people complained at the time (myself included) at the prospect of Crouch for Vokes, but if the player is unhappy and wants game time, surely there's only so long you can keep them at the club?

Any sale has to be at a price right for the selling club, regardless of the individual player's feelings. As someone posted much earlier, we don't owe them anything.

If the bust ups that have been reported are serious enough, sending Gibson to train with the youth/reserves genuinely may not have been an option, so I'm guessing this will have been the most amicable way of dealing with him.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Let's face it, none of us knows the facts, here's a bit of conjecture:
Ben Mee took a long time negotiating his new contract. Could the club take a chance on not having an adequate replacement had negotiations broken down? No.
Could SD be absolutely sure that Ben Mee was going to be the same, committed Ben Mee if he'd really wanted away but had no decent offers? No.
There you have it...straight from my imagination.
These 3 users liked this post: NL Claret simonclaret rob63

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm
Shocking signing, he was never gonna be happy sat around not playing because he’s a much better player than that. Who on earth breaks their transfer record to sign a 3rd choice central defender? surely you save money and bring in an older player for cover (Terry/Cahill) or a youngster.
Good old hindsight. He didn't break into the first team due to injury, the form and fitness of players in his position.

Realistically would Terry / Cahill actually considering signing for Burnley? Plus the usual suspects complain about the age of the squad when we bring in an older player.

Had Gibson been fit and one of the centre halves got injured or left he would have got his opportunity. It didn't happen, it's quite simple.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: cracking. Can you imagine the moaning from some on here (of which you'd more than likely be amongst the principals) if we had signed a defender aged 35 or older. Reel me in cos that is a wonderful cast :lol: :lol: :lol:

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Goobs wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: cracking. Can you imagine the moaning from some on here (of which you'd more than likely be amongst the principals) if we had signed a defender aged 35 or older. Reel me in cos that is a wonderful cast :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’d have taken either as 3rd choice cover over Gibson, saved £15-20m in the process and used that cash to acquire a first choice right back and a first choice right midfielder.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:49 pm
Good old hindsight. He didn't break into the first team due to injury, the form and fitness of players in his position.

Realistically would Terry / Cahill actually considering signing for Burnley? Plus the usual suspects complain about the age of the squad when we bring in an older player.

Had Gibson been fit and one of the centre halves got injured or left he would have got his opportunity. It didn't happen, it's quite simple.
It’s not about how many games he played it’s about how much money we willingly spent on a 3rd choice central defender which left other positions lacking quality without the funds to improve.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:19 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm
I’d have taken either as 3rd choice cover over Gibson, saved £15-20m in the process and used that cash to acquire a first choice right back and a first choice right midfielder.
Footy Manager strikes again

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm
It’s not about how many games he played it’s about how much money we willingly spent on a 3rd choice central defender which left other positions lacking quality without the funds to improve.
Do you really think we bought him with the intention of him being back-up or third choice?

The size of the fee, the ever increasing going rate for a highly rated defender, meant we had every intention of him being a starting regular. However, due to the form of Mee and Tarkowski, plus Gibson's own injury problems, this hasn't materialised and now he's seeking football elsewhere.

Just because a player hasn't forced his way into the team as expected doesn't mean he was signed to be third choice!

It's disappointing for us and him, but sh1t happens sometimes. Get over it.
This user liked this post: rob63

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm
All I can see is that the slow evolution of the club continues as we appear to be upgrading our non playing staff/executive management team to people more experienced and capable of running a Premier League club, not only was that necessary but it’s got to be a good thing for the future.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Cahill is probably on around 100k a week, probably similar or just less than Zaha. That’s 10m over 2 years with no resale. So basically he wouldn’t come to Burnley....

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1078 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Here’s a handy informative link which gives lie to the idea a few have expressed on here that we’re a club in crisis / have been terrible in every transfer window / lack quality in the squad / have wasted all our money on awful signings etc etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ague/table
Last edited by Greenmile on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm
Cahill is probably on around 100k a week, probably similar or just less than Zaha. That’s 10m over 2 years with no resale. So basically he wouldn’t come to Burnley....
Spot on. Was just going to say as he was on a free his wages were reported to be getting towards £100k pw. No way would we have paid that, better an asset with some re sale value.

Can’t believe the whinging when we’ve spent less than £20 million to have three cracking centre halves at our premier league club.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm
Spot on. Was just going to say as he was on a free his wages were reported to be getting towards £100k pw. No way would we have paid that, better an asset with some re sale value.

Can’t believe the whinging when we’ve spent less than £20 million to have three cracking centre halves at our premier league club.
The usual suspects on here would whinge if we finished top 4....they don’t get the concept of how the value of the squad has increased over the last 5 years but focus on individual bits of nonsense....

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 pm
The usual suspects on here would whinge if we finished top 4....they don’t get the concept of how the value of the squad has increased over the last 5 years but focus on individual bits of nonsense....
The usual suspects - Jesus do you want me to dig out all your old quotes
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2273 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Who knows, the only thing we do know is that he's left in the most bizarre of circumstances I've never known anything like it, yes you get the transfer requests & sulking prior I've known that before, but not after such a period of time returning back to the club we bought him from, anyhow I'm bored of talking about now & inbetween what everybody is saying, claret & Boro alike the truth probably lies in the middle
Footballers 100% believe they are better than each other, he will have believed he was the number 1 CB & 100% still will, that belief is what separates the top achievers from the rest of us

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Not sure why Cahill's name has come into the discussion Paul. Don't think he was a free agent at the time and he's miles out of the wage structure. These factors don't really come into the equation as Cahill would have no interest in signing for the club. Think some are still under the illusion Burnley could easily attract such a player.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm
Footballers 100% believe they are better than each other, he will have believed he was the number 1 CB & 100% still will, that belief is what separates the top achievers from the rest of us
I can see both sides, he wants to prove himself & the only way he can do that is by playing regular, something we couldn't offer & also the club's by wanting to ensure decent cover was there, the 2 things just weren't compatible.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 pm
Brilliant, you’re one of the “usual suspects”, you cried for ages about how bad Taylor was despite him being one of the best left backs in the league since he got into the team.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone BOYSIE31

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:19 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm
Brilliant, you’re one of the “usual suspects”, you cried for ages about how bad Taylor was despite him being one of the best left backs in the league since he got into the team.
:lol: :lol: :lol: my cheques in the Post. Good spot! :D

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2273 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm
I can see both sides, he wants to prove himself & the only way he can do that is by playing regular, something we couldn't offer & also the club's by wanting to ensure decent cover was there, the 2 things just weren't compatible.
Think I quoted the wrong person there mate, reading it back :lol:

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Not sure why Cahill's name has come into the discussion Paul. Don't think he was a free agent at the time and he's miles out of the wage structure. These factors don't really come into the equation as Cahill would have no interest in signing for the club. Think some are still under the illusion Burnley could easily attract such a player.
He was mentioned above as being a better option on loan than the permanent signing of Gibson.

No way in a million years he was coming here. Gibson was a coup of a signing that just hasn’t worked out for him and we’ve been blessed with Mee and Tarks form (on the whole), fitness and temperament.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 pm

A lot of people making tits of themselves on this thread.
Hopefully they can also head of to beautiful Middlesbrough

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Think I quoted the wrong person there mate, reading it back :lol:
I'll forgive you, it was a good post & I understood what you meant, about having faith in your own abilities to make it to the top, it shows he didn't want to be cover & that self determination will stand him or any player in good stead, if he stays with Boro I fancy them next season to mount a promotion charge with a few additions, may have to lose woodgate along the way.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Why does it matter if he wasn’t a free agent it’s been decided he would have been the better option over Gibson! And of course there would be no moaning over us signing a 34 year old on 50k a week!
This user liked this post: NL Claret

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm
Just for clarification, can you link to any post from 18 months ago in which you advocated signing a past-his-best centre half and replacing Matt Lowton? Because call me suspicious if you will, but I doubt you ever made such a post. I don't think you knew at the time that we didn't need a reserve centre half and that Lowton was going to lose form; my apologies if I am wrong.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:44 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm
I'm not going to quote LLT's post however hindsight is a wonderful thing and the poster makes it sound very straightforward to transfer / loan players. This contradicts the factual sentence that none of us know what has transpired.

Perhaps the club needs to get some hindsight to stop the rot?
Yes, hindsight is available in 20:20 vision seemingly, going off some posts on here :?:

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 pm
Don’t think he’ll be on that much, palace aren’t a more attractive proposition than us club wise, rather geographically London is the draw, remember being at Chelsea for such a long time it’d be wise to assume he’s settled down south, had it been a Manchester club with a ageing defender northbound would be the favourite, it’s more hassle than you realise distance, kids at school, local friends, selling or subletting the house you love, being familiar with a area, Bolton was a long time ago.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm
Don’t think he’ll be on that much, palace aren’t a more attractive proposition than us club wise, rather geographically London is the draw, remember being at Chelsea for such a long time it’d be wise to assume he’s settled down south, had it been a Manchester club with a ageing defender northbound would be the favourite, it’s more hassle than you realise distance, kids at school, local friends, selling or subletting the house you love, being familiar with a area, Bolton was a long time ago.
Palace will be paying much more in wages than we can offer!

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:28 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm
Palace's gross wages (excl. NIC) in 2018, £98m. Burnley's wages, £73m. The difference is at least partly that they have a much less even squad payroll because they are willing to pay the stars (ie. Zaha) vastly more than the rest.

Wages in 2019 rose to £103m net.

Remember also that a large part of the attractiveness of Palace was that Cahill fancied making a few starts. He might have doubted his chances at Burnley.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 am
Palace will be paying much more in wages than we can offer!
I get that, I wasn't disputing that fact I was doubting the figure quoted, the point I was making is, you could have 2 clubs offering the same amount, 1 in the north & 1 in the south, if he's already in situ fixture & fittings you could offer perhaps more & he still wouldn't come, uprooting & upping sticks is a massive hassle.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm
I'll forgive you, it was a good post & I understood what you meant, about having faith in your own abilities to make it to the top, it shows he didn't want to be cover & that self determination will stand him or any player in good stead, if he stays with Boro I fancy them next season to mount a promotion charge with a few additions, may have to lose woodgate along the way.
I think Boro will stick with Woodgate a bit longer yet, he's turned the corner a bit after a shocking start, when it looked like he was about to be sacked. Gibson will have to be willing to take a pay cut if he wants to go back there, but think it would be a good move for him. It's got to the stage where he just needs to get back playing football.