20 years ago today I missed out on a big scoop

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

20 years ago today I missed out on a big scoop

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Saturday, 12th February 2000:

I was at Bournemouth for a Second Division game, one we won 1-0 with an Andy Payton goal on a day when Jason Tindall came on as a late substitute for Eddie Howe. But Payton was the man at the centre of the story. He'd been sent off the week before when we beat Bristol Rovers at home and with only Andy Cooke to play up front it was thought we might try to sign another striker, maybe on loan when his suspension started the following week.

I was in a pub close to Dean Court and someone came up and asked me if I was Tony Scholes who ran the CISA website (which I did then). When I said yes, he said he had a story for me. He told me the name of the player were were signing. I thanked him for the information but made the decision that it was too far fetched to use.

Two days later, on Monday, 14th February, Howard Booth on Radio Lancashire broadcast the news that we were about to sign this very player and two days after that the said player arrived at Turf Moor to sign before making his debut against Wigan on the following Saturday.

I still think it was probably the biggest signing our club has ever made - still hard to believe that a club in the third tier of English football had signed

IAN WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT
This user liked this post: Mala591

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Re: 20 years ago today I missed out on a big scoop

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

Very exciting news for all connected with Burnley Football Club. Like many on here I was at the game against Wigan not really knowing what to expect. I knew what he was capable of,even at the age of 33? but of course it was at a completely different level to what he had become accustomed. Not quite at a situation of the 'run in' yet but I'm unsure of out respective league positions at the time. Turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax with him being subbed and a 0-0 draw but it got better. :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am
Very exciting news for all connected with Burnley Football Club. Like many on here I was at the game against Wigan not really knowing what to expect. I knew what he was capable of,even at the age of 33? but of course it was at a completely different level to what he had become accustomed. Not quite at a situation of the 'run in' yet but I'm unsure of out respective league positions at the time. Turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax with him being subbed and a 0-0 draw but it got better. :D
He was actually 36, and that surprised me. He played the full game against Wigan and then started the next three when he looked a long way away. But after that he made some significant substitute appearances but more than that he lifted the whole place. We will never know whether we'd have gone up without him, I suspect we might not have done.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 pm

It was Wright's debut against Wigan that taught me the difference between top class premier league and Division One. Wright was making brilliant diagonal runs and the ball was being plopped anywhere but to where he was running. At first I thought we had bought a pup till the penny dropped.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

'he lifted the whole place'

He certainly did and it highlights the significance of something like a penalty save, a great tackle, a late winner that can galvanise a team and offer them that slight 'edge' to 'get over the line'. Hindsight, of course, is a wonderful thing but I recall some supporters wanting him to return for the start of the next season in a division higher. He didn't, never really considering it probably and for me that was the correct decision. Get out while you're on top ......... even the third division!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 pm

I still have my Ian Wright Wright Wright T-shirt I wore to Scunthorpe, its shrunk in the wash and is for a 11 year old but I'll never throw it

Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 pm

He scored four goals, two of which were vital - the late equaliser at Gillingham (when Radio Lancs dropped out at the vital time and we had to revert to Teletext!) and the late, late winner against Notts County after looking like we'd thrown away two points. Gillingham would have gone up automatically instead without those goals.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:31 pm

The winner v Notts County really was 'something very, very special'.
This user liked this post: ashtonlongsider

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Remember queuing for ticket with a long line outside the office, very rare in those days. He was a football legend turning out to play for us in Claret and Blue. 20000 full house but the match was a bit of an anticlimax. Rest of the season seemed to take off from there though and we never looked back. One great thing to be thankful to Stan for. Gascoigne on the other hand......

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:40 pm

I remember going to Colchester in the February of 2000, and winning 2-1. If memory serves it was Colchesters highest crowd of the season, all thanks to a certain Ian Wright being at Burnley FC..... over 6000 on Colchester that Saturday....
Last edited by Bosscat on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:41 pm

I remember my dad coming home from work on the 14th saying a rumor was going around work of a "big signing" - he worked at Main Gas in Padiham.

When me & my brother asked who, and he said "I've heard its Ian Wright", we both laughed.

30 minutes later it was announced and it was my dad that had the smile on his face
This user liked this post: brunlea99

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50 pm

I was at Brentford when we won 3-2 - 2 from Mullin and one from Ian Wright from memory. I was in the seats down the side as a work contact was connected to Brentford, related to Ron Noades I believe. Ian Wright went through for a one on one with the keeper and I don't think I have ever been as confident that the forward would score. It's Ian Wright, seen him do it so many times for Arsenal, he must score for Burnley. My confidence was well placed. We owed that victory to a superb save late in the game from Crichton to keep it at 3-2.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50 pm

My memory says he chased the ball at Oxford down the left, did a neat trick and crossed for Weller's header?

One of my best away games 8-)

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:58 pm

I just happened to look on Teletext in the middle of the night - I read the news on there - I couldn't believe it. It just captured the imagination of everybody involved with the club - the fans, the team, the town and the media. It was the perfect signing.

I suppose in today's money, its like Wayne Rooney signing for Wycombe.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6845 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
Saturday, 12th February 2000:

I was at Bournemouth for a Second Division game, one we won 1-0 with an Andy Payton goal on a day when Jason Tindall came on as a late substitute for Eddie Howe. But Payton was the man at the centre of the story. He'd been sent off the week before when we beat Bristol Rovers at home and with only Andy Cooke to play up front it was thought we might try to sign another striker, maybe on loan when his suspension started the following week.

I was in a pub close to Dean Court and someone came up and asked me if I was Tony Scholes who ran the CISA website (which I did then). When I said yes, he said he had a story for me. He told me the name of the player were were signing. I thanked him for the information but made the decision that it was too far fetched to use.

Two days later, on Monday, 14th February, Howard Booth on Radio Lancashire broadcast the news that we were about to sign this very player and two days after that the said player arrived at Turf Moor to sign before making his debut against Wigan on the following Saturday.

I still think it was probably the biggest signing our club has ever made - still hard to believe that a club in the third tier of English football had signed

IAN WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT
Tony, would you have believed if he said he had a mate with a box at Celtic Park ? :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Tony, would you have believed if he said he had a mate with a box at Celtic Park ? :)
To be honest I don’t think anything would have made me believe it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50 pm
My memory says he chased the ball at Oxford down the left, did a neat trick and crossed for Weller's header?

That was another game where he turned it round for us. Didn’t look to have a chance of keeping the ball in play.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Wasn't he subjected to racist abuse from some opposition fans one game? Might have been at Gillingham

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Fretters wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 pm
He scored four goals, two of which were vital - the late equaliser at Gillingham (when Radio Lancs dropped out at the vital time and we had to revert to Teletext!) and the late, late winner against Notts County after looking like we'd thrown away two points. Gillingham would have gone up automatically instead without those goals.
Bloody Hell that's brought some memories flooding back!!! I remember exactly where I was sat listening to the radio with my Step Dad and that happening. Football coverage is great these days but hwo good was the 'gooaalllll action!!!' on radio lancs
This user liked this post: Fretters

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16 pm

I was getting out of the car at Hyndburn Sports Centre dropping my girls off for gymnastics when the news of his signing came on Radio Lancs. I did the proverbial double take and nearly tripped getting out of the car. I thought it was a joke at first.

Funny how they say you always remember where you were at certain times.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm
Wasn't he subjected to racist abuse from some opposition fans one game? Might have been at Gillingham
It was at Colchester and his wife was allegedly also abused in the stand.

Colchester spokesman Brian Wheeler said:"We don't condone racism or obscene chanting, that's the sort of thing we want to stamp out. However, we were slightly surprised by his comments considering he's a legend who has played at big clubs like Celtic and Arsenal. He's a superstar and he can expect a lot worse when he goes elsewhere with Burnley.

"People know he's a great player and fans will try and put him off his game and he's going to get much worse. We have had no complaints from Burnley fans or anyone connected with Colchester, fans or officials. The facts are that the chants were offensive but they were not racist."
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm
Bloody Hell that's brought some memories flooding back!!! I remember exactly where I was sat listening to the radio with my Step Dad and that happening. Football coverage is great these days but hwo good was the 'gooaalllll action!!!' on radio lancs
“GOOAALL ACTION”

That anticipation as you wait to hear which ground it’s from

“And there’s been a goal at the Preistfield Stadium”

That’s were we’re playing :o

“Have Gillingham extended their lead or have Burnley equalised?”

And you just knew it would be the first option :roll:
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm
“GOOAALL ACTION”

I was struggling to get there that night but just happened to work for a company who also had a base in Maidstone. My boss told me he couldn't let me have the day off but if I was to arrange a couple of meetings in Maidstone he'd be fine with that. So not only did I get there, it was a free trip too.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
I was at Brentford when we won 3-2 - 2 from Mullin and one from Ian Wright from memory. I was in the seats down the side as a work contact was connected to Brentford, related to Ron Noades I believe. Ian Wright went through for a one on one with the keeper and I don't think I have ever been as confident that the forward would score. It's Ian Wright, seen him do it so many times for Arsenal, he must score for Burnley. My confidence was well placed. We owed that victory to a superb save late in the game from Crichton to keep it at 3-2.
YES !...had forgotten that game and this brought it all back Herts. Remember Wright getting through right in front of the away end and sticking it away. A cracking afternoon out..I think it was an Easter fixture

Another memory I have of his time with us was that he had his own Friday night TV show at the time and it must have been around the time he was awarded the MBE because I remember one of his guests(possibly Trevor Nelson) saying it must stand for Massive Burnley Enthusiast. It was all pretty difficult to get the head round really !

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:40 pm
I remember going to Colchester in the February of 2000, and winning 2-1. If memory serves it was Colchesters highest crowd of the season, all thanks to a certain Ian Wright being at Burnley FC..... over 6000 on Colchester that Saturday....
I was at that Colchester away game too and it was clear that wherever we went for the rest of the season we were going to be big draw, which wasn't going to make things easy as the home fans got behind their team.
On the Wigan debut game: It was a rubbish match and something of an anti climax, as stated, but Wrighty was so unlucky not score right at the end when he was denied by a last ditch tackle and it was such a shame.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Hopey1786
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Hopey1786 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Ian shite shite shite

Did nowt

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:52 pm

I went to the bookies in Newcastle where I was at uni, to put a tenner on him scoring a hat trick vs Wigan, which was a massive amount of money for me then. After much rooting around in the back he gave me 10-1 the tight Geordie b@stard. Easy money.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Hopey1786 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm
Ian shite shite shite

Did nowt
That's a wind-up, right?

:?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 pm

We went in the Cricketfield at the last minute for his debut v Wigan (pay on t' gate).

I think they said the Wigan away numbers in the Cricketfield were around 3,500, which I had to laugh at. The Police were pulling Burnley fans out of there all through the match.

We just had some pies to confuse everyone. :)

Noblelight
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by Noblelight » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:

Yes he did, I was at that game,stood right behind the goal as Weller put it in! Great day out!
UTC

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Edit. Duplicate post
Last edited by gandhisflipflop on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm
“GOOAALL ACTION”

I still remember the music they played on the goal action and listening to games you didn't care about (usually rovers or Preston) in the hope they said those words 'goal at *wherever we were playing*' then if they started the commentary with our players it was usually a good sign. Happy days.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm

I drove to the Gillingham away game and having a car park pass, was told to park next to his Audi TT. His car was filthy and I couldn’t resist writing my initials **/IW/BFC on the bonnet.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm
I drove to the Gillingham away game and having a car park pass, was told to park next to his Audi TT. His car was filthy and I couldn’t resist writing my initials **/IW/BFC on the bonnet.
Tbh.he had piled a bit of timber on.... 8-)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 pm

I remembering him chasing a lost ball at catching it near the corner flag. Crossed it for a goal. Oxford United.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm

Andy Cole > Ian Wright

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:58 pm
I just happened to look on Teletext in the middle of the night - I read the news on there - I couldn't believe it. It just captured the imagination of everybody involved with the club - the fans, the team, the town and the media. It was the perfect signing.

I suppose in today's money, its like Wayne Rooney signing for Wycombe.
Very rare that we got big bold headlines on teletext, if ever, in those days!

I remember coming back from work, putting 302 on (usual practice) and seeing WRIGHT SIGNS FOR BURNLEY my first thought was Wright who!? Reading that it was Ian Wright was a huge WTF moment!

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 am

Crazy. I can't believe it's 20 years since. At first I thought maybe 10 and a typo then realised it is 11 years since Wembley. Scary.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 342 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm
Andy Cole > Ian Wright
Over his career? Maybe. Impact for Burnley no chance.

As stated above, the Wright signing pretty much dragged us up that season. Really lifted the place.

And that performance at Brentford in front of the away terrace was incredible.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 am

Goobs wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 am
Crazy. I can't believe it's 20 years since. At first I thought maybe 10 and a typo then realised it is 11 years since Wembley. Scary.
It's another example of getting older - I look back at things so often and can't believe they are so long ago.
These 2 users liked this post: Blackburn_Claret Goobs

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am

jollyjack wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:35 pm
Remember queuing for ticket with a long line outside the office, very rare in those days. He was a football legend turning out to play for us in Claret and Blue. 20000 full house but the match was a bit of an anticlimax. Rest of the season seemed to take off from there though and we never looked back. One great thing to be thankful to Stan for. Gascoigne on the other hand......
We often look back on this board and remember certain players who scored vital goals like Wright or Orient and the like and wonder where and what would have happened if those moments never happened. We can also reverse that and think, Had just one of those Gazza free kicks gone in against Coventry what could have happened? We’d look back feeling totally different about him just because a football was 10cm more to the right. Mad.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Post by Fretters » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm
Andy Cole > Ian Wright
I see what you are coming from - Cole scored more than Wright did (I think), including that stunning hat trick at QPR. But Cole joined us at a higher level so wasn't the stunning signing that Wright was, and we weren't in the promotion mix with Cole either.

For me, the Joey Barton signing trumps them both in terms of effect on the whole club, but nothing will ever come close to the shock and sheer delight of the Wright signing. I went to school in Blackburn at the time and even their fans were impressed.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Our teacher told us the news at high school - noone belived him!

I rember going in the dressing room before a match at the time, naturally I went to Wright's shirt and his boots were tiny.

His goal tally doesn't tell the full story

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:13 am

The signing created a huge buzz around the town. Sell outs everywhere.

But let's remember Andy Payton won the golden boot that year with 27 league goals. Ian Wrights 4 goals helped but come on, you have to mention Payts as the main reason.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 am

I dont think theres any question - without Wright we wouldn't have got promoted that season.

He certainly galvanised the team, but in truth he had a level of ability beyond that of any other player we could conceivably have signed at the time. And as a result as a sub he was absolutely perfect for us. The four point swing on that late equaliser alone was definitive but when you factor in the winner against Notts County too, and his role in the wind at Brentfordz Oxford etc - he was priceless. The goal against notts county in particular must wasnt one a league one player could have scored.

I remember exactly where I was when the news came through on radio Lancashire- Howard Booth basically treated it with understandable scepticism at first until it was confirmed. And I can also remember the radio lancs commentary feed cutting out at gillingham just as they said the cross had fallen to Wright...then silence, absolute suspense for about a minute until theh plugged themselves back in and confirmed the good news.