Cabinet Carnage

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: Cabinet Carnage

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am
To add some balance Johnson and Cummings have just brought in a special adviser alongside the reshuffle who has a lot of experience in tackling poverty.

Not convinced myself about that the idea of legally enforced universal contraception to stop poor people breeding is the answer but Im sure the 10 bob Tory's on here will be able to give it a bit of spin and turn it into a northern working class vote winner
An attempt to reduce Burnley's future crowd potential!

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:24 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:45 am
What's the difference between what Boris wants to do and the accusation that Labour were boom and bust?
Sorry for delay.

The difference is that one will be targeted at growth in the regions, the other was targeted at (to a degree) non-growth things like schools, hospitals and benefits.

HS2, NPR, Technical Colleges and Freeports are trying to boost innovation and wealth creation in these poor areas. Laudable though some of Labour’s spending was, it was never designed to do this, and the same Treasury rules now being challenged would have blocked it even if it did.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 am

aggi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 pm
The thing is though that Johnson isn't a politician who is new to the game, he has a track record you can look at.

Whilst he was an MP he voted for things like austerity, was a barely competent foreign secretary and lied about things like his opposition to the third runway.

Whilst he was mayor of London he promised a lot of stuff that he didn't do. It's difficult to see why things are magically going to change.
A sentiment I have repeatedly sympathised with.

But I’ve looked Johnson in the eye, asked him the question, and believed the answer. Time will tell if I was a mug for doing so. But he has since surrounded himself by people who have made this stuff their life's work. That gives me confidence. I suspect he wanted to do some of this in London, but his powers were limited and he should have kept his gob shut.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:04 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:24 am
Sorry for delay.

The difference is that one will be targeted at growth in the regions, the other was targeted at (to a degree) non-growth things like schools, hospitals and benefits.

HS2, NPR, Technical Colleges and Freeports are trying to boost innovation and wealth creation in these poor areas. Laudable though some of Labour’s spending was, it was never designed to do this, and the same Treasury rules now being challenged would have blocked it even if it did.
Wow. Did we experience the same election? Forty new hospitals, fifty thousand new nurses, and twenty thousand new police officers. These promises were front and centre. Also Tory policy is to revise the way local government is funded, so that deprivation is no longer a criteria, but “rurality” is. Burnley and other northern urban areas are going to get shafted under this, and the leafy Tory shires well looked after. There were no solid Tory manifesto commitments to the north, but Labour had many. It looks as though you’ve been hoodwinked.
Last edited by AndrewJB on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 am
A sentiment I have repeatedly sympathised with.

But I’ve looked Johnson in the eye, asked him the question, and believed the answer. Time will tell if I was a mug for doing so. But he has since surrounded himself by people who have made this stuff their life's work. That gives me confidence. I suspect he wanted to do some of this in London, but his powers were limited and he should have kept his gob shut.
This is Johnson looking someone in the eye, and lying. He was sacked for lying to Michael Howard.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 25601.html

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Attacking the judiciary is how Hitler started. Once that's done, as it surely will be, then there's nothing to stop the Cummings dictatorship from thriving.

Yes, they might be talking about building big infrastructure projects but Hitler built the Autobahns and gave the people the Volkswagen, (People's car.) to get people on his side, a few years before he invaded Poland. First signs of Boris and co doing something similar will be an increase in defence spending.

I just hope that the mobile phone and reality TV addicted masses, realise before it's too late.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 6.html?amp

One of Cummings’ misfit or weirdos.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm
Attacking the judiciary is how Hitler started. Once that's done, as it surely will be, then there's nothing to stop the Cummings dictatorship from thriving.

Yes, they might be talking about building big infrastructure projects but Hitler built the Autobahns and gave the people the Volkswagen, (People's car.) to get people on his side, a few years before he invaded Poland. First signs of Boris and co doing something similar will be an increase in defence spending.

I just hope that the mobile phone and reality TV addicted masses, realise before it's too late.
They will probably treat war as virtual reality!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 pm

RMutt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 6.html?amp

One of Cummings’ misfit or weirdos.
Keep up mate ;)

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 pm
Keep up mate ;)
Sorry, I missed your earlier posts about contraception and eugenics. I’ll try to do better in future.
A bit more on it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1184736870

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

RMutt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Sorry, I missed your earlier posts about contraception and eugenics. I’ll try to do better in future.
A bit more on it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1184736870

Stepped down now. No apology, everyone else's fault.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Storm in a teacup in reality.

Short lived journey in to politics lol

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 pm
Storm in a teacup in reality.
I disagree. What this man said is scandalous and BJ's refusal to condemn his comments even more so. It will be interesting to see how the media react.

Of equal concern to me is that this person was ever considered suitable to be an adviser to government.

Those who appointed must have been familiar with his views and yet they still went ahead. Did they think that no one would notice or did they think they could get away with it?

Either way it says a lot about the Tories and none of it is good.
These 2 users liked this post: BurningBeard longsidepies

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Hitler was too reliant on Albert Speer in terms of creativity.

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am

Cryssys wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 pm
I disagree. What this man said is scandalous and BJ's refusal to condemn his comments even more so. It will be interesting to see how the media react.
Much as expected some elements of the press haven't got a lot to say. Nothing on the front page of the Times, Mail or Express and just a tiny column in the Telegraph. How strange.

Had it been a Labour adviser the same papers would have been baying for blood.

Tell me again that the press isn't biased.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies BurningBeard

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 am

I've no words...

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/sta ... 84/photo/1

Hilarious doesn't even begin to describe this. A reddit post of his from years ago, via a journalist on twitter who found his username. I won't post the screenshot directly to the forum because it'll get me banned, but it's a ride, I guarantee you.

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:22 am

He's definitely a misfit and weirdo. I wonder who else they've taken on as contractors and advisors that we don't know the background or views of yet? Not setting the bar high here are they?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 am
I've no words...

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/sta ... 84/photo/1

Hilarious doesn't even begin to describe this. A reddit post of his from years ago, via a journalist on twitter who found his username. I won't post the screenshot directly to the forum because it'll get me banned, but it's a ride, I guarantee you.
He was 21 at the time, looks like a virgin dishing out relationship advice to married men.

Stone him.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am

claretandy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 am
He was 21 at the time, looks like a virgin dishing out relationship advice to married men.

Stone him.
Much of this stuff he wrote as a comment to a blog post by Cummings. He was young, and could easily have had a few sherries at the time. It was also a scientific observation, not “hate speech” etc. He may have been incorrect of course, and probably was. Anybody who has worked their way up from nothing can tell that intelligence can be developed given the right variables.

I’ve long since grown very concerned at this hyper-liberal thought police where any dissent is squashed like in Soviet Russia. It isn’t just “weirdos”, look at what happened to the great Sir Roger Scruton in the year he died, and Harry Miller, in last week’s Fair Cop case.

This current guy could of course be a prat, dim, with stupid ideas, and of no use to the country, but that is for Number 10 to decide. He hasn’t broken the law, and isn’t an elected official who has to meet the standards of public life. Being hounded out of a paid job by press hysteria a day after a presenter has killed herself for similar......beyond disgraceful.
These 2 users liked this post: claretandy KateR

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:44 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am
Much of this stuff he wrote as a comment to a blog post by Cummings. He was young, and could easily have had a few sherries at the time. It was also a scientific observation, not “hate speech” etc. He may have been incorrect of course, and probably was. Anybody who has worked their way up from nothing can tell that intelligence can be developed given the right variables.

I’ve long since grown very concerned at this hyper-liberal thought police where any dissent is squashed like in Soviet Russia. It isn’t just “weirdos”, look at what happened to the great Sir Roger Scruton in the year he died, and Harry Miller, in last week’s Fair Cop case.

This current guy could of course be a prat, dim, with stupid ideas, and of no use to the country, but that is for Number 10 to decide. He hasn’t broken the law, and isn’t an elected official who has to meet the standards of public life. Being hounded out of a paid job by press hysteria a day after a presenter has killed herself for similar......beyond disgraceful.
And yet any anti-semitic comments from years ago were jumped on by certain sections of the media, including the chief Rabbi during the election.

What's the difference?
Last edited by Spijed on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:45 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

You have got to be kidding me. I know you're a bit of right wing nut job but how can you even begin to defend what this guy has said let alone think that he was suitable material for a government adviser.

He's young, he might have been drunk, it was a scientific observation. What a sick apologist you are.

Hyper liberal thought police? Don't give me that crap. Both you and I know that had the labour Party tried to appoint someone like him you and the Tory press would have been up in arms and screaming from the rooftops.

You're a hypocrite of the highest order.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:53 am

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:45 am
You have got to be kidding me. I know you're a bit of right wing nut job but how can you even begin to defend what this guy has said let alone think that he was suitable material for a government adviser.

He's young, he might have been drunk, it was a scientific observation. What a sick apologist you are.

Hyper liberal thought police? Don't give me that crap. Both you and I know that had the labour Party tried to appoint someone like him you and the Tory press would have been up in arms and screaming from the rooftops.

Using a recent high profile suicide to try to justify himself was also pretty special.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 am

Cryssys wrote:

You're right, Labour just appoint actual communists and anti-semites.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:48 am

Is there a cut off point in terms of age for those who are going to be policy leaders in a government where you can say where you want no matter how abhorrent?

Wonder if people in early 1930’s Germany were having the same conversations?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 am

Stone him.
'Theologically speaking', would stoning him be the 'biblical method' of edgelord 'submission?' Anyhow, I don't know how he typed that out with a straight face, in all honesty. I was 21, too, once, and I'd kick my own head in if I came out with something like that. He seems pretty unrepentant about the eugenics comments. Perhaps it's best folks like him aren't advising policy for reasons not too dissimilar to why the NSPCC doesn't contract to paedophiles for policy advice. They're the wrong sort. The fundamental problem seems to be that a man with a deep curiosity for intelligence studies appears to be dumb as a bag of hammers. I don't want to psychologise too much but I've seen that plenty of folks like him tend to wear their own perceived intelligence like armour. Stands to reason that a good number of ideas borne of that curiosity are intended to protect those folks' own egos, not advance science, or find ways of helping other folks out like a policy advisor is supposed to do. Anyone complaining about him being hounded out needs to take their head out their arse are remember this is politics and that appearance matters. Do the tories really want to associate themselves with eugenics? I don't like the tories but they aren't that bad.

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Cryssys wrote:

claretandy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 am
You're right, Labour just appoint actual communists and anti-semites.
Doesn't alter the fact that your're grade A hypocrite. And you know it.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm

I wonder when we invade Poland?

As soon as the EU doesn't give us everything we are demanding? And they won't.

The right wing is getting further right by the minute.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm
I wonder when we invade Poland?

As soon as the EU doesn't give us everything we are demanding? And they won't.

The right wing is getting further right by the minute.
The EU: You can have a deal like Canada
The UK: That sounds great, where do we sign ?
The EU: Sorry you can't have it now, we need you to sign up to LPF and have close alignment
The UK: No deal it is then.

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
I’ve long since grown very concerned at this hyper-liberal thought police where any dissent is squashed like in Soviet Russia. It isn’t just “weirdos”, look at what happened to the great Sir Roger Scruton in the year he died, and Harry Miller, in last week’s Fair Cop case
The great Sir Roger Scruton?

I assume you are referring to the man who described "Islamophobia" as a "propaganda word", homosexuality as "not normal", lesbianism as an attempt to find "committed love that [a woman] can't get from men any more", and date rape as not a crime. He had also made allegedly conspiratorial remarks about the Jewish businessman George Soros.

More good stuff here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Scruton

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm
The great Sir Roger Scruton?

I assume you are referring to the man who described "Islamophobia" as a "propaganda word", homosexuality as "not normal", lesbianism as an attempt to find "committed love that [a woman] can't get from men any more", and date rape as not a crime. He had also made allegedly conspiratorial remarks about the Jewish businessman George Soros.

More good stuff here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Scruton
He came under a lot of Scrutony.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:48 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

You appear to be saying that although you disagree (and profoundly too), with the "science" of eugenics, which as you might already know was used by Nazi scientists to bolster their theories of better races, and "subhumans"; and is still used by race extremists now to push the same lines - that although you disagree with this, it's his right as a young man to espouse these ideas? Why can't you just say; "someone like this has no place at the heart of government"? That would be a considered response, using reason, common sense, experience, and ethics. The next question should be; "how did he get where he was?" Has he actually been "hounded out of his job"? I would say the response of much of the press unfortunately has been fairly lukewarm. It's more the response of the public via social media that has been harshest.

As for this, as you call it; "hyper-liberal thought police", Scruton (as others have pointed out), came out with some very contentious things. He was a philosopher, so his words were always going to be looked at, and if people found fault in them, they were rightly practicing their own free speech in criticising his opinions. A more accurate case of "hounding out" is what the press did to Dianne Abbott as a result of a few interviews in which she got her numbers wrong (the same press could have attacked a number of Tory figures for similar mistakes, but chose not to), and the constant smearing of Corbyn as "anti-Semitic" when he's never uttered an anti-Semitic remark in his life (as compared to Scruton who dived in at the deep end). A far greater degree of thought-policiing goes on via the right wing media, yet you appear to be blind to this.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am
Much as expected some elements of the press haven't got a lot to say. Nothing on the front page of the Times, Mail or Express and just a tiny column in the Telegraph. How strange.

Had it been a Labour adviser the same papers would have been baying for blood.

Tell me again that the press isn't biased.
The press isn't biased.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:46 pm
The press isn't biased.
Virtually all the press admit to be being biased. They all nail their colours firmly to one ideology or party or another.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 pm
Virtually all the press admit to be being biased. They all nail their colours firmly to one ideology or party or another.
Look at Cryssys last sentence, he told me to write it so don't go shouting at me :roll:

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:15 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Look at Cryssys last sentence, he told me to write it so don't go shouting at me :roll:
What would you say If I told you to say I’m a great guy and that you’d like to buy me a beer?
This user liked this post: KateR

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Who shouted? :roll:
It was a perfectly polite post
(And the post wasn't particularly aimed at you anyway - more of a general observation).

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 pm
Who shouted? :roll:
It was a perfectly polite post
(And the post wasn't particularly aimed at you anyway - more of a general observation).
objection me'lord, you quoted me and replied directly to my quote and therefore aimed directly as a statement at me (and the press) therefore not a general observation!!

I recount my part regarding shouting, you are correct you didn't

(I agree, the press are biased) I should not have been swayed by Cryssys instructions, and I learned my lesson on his last attempt :D

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm
I should not have been swayed by Cryssys instructions, and I learned my lesson on his last attempt :D
You will do as you’re told young lady or there’ll be a reckoning.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm

I shouldn’t really, but......

1. Right wing - nope. Economically left, socially slightly right of middle (hence I am tolerant and compassionate, unlike the socially far-left hyper-liberals).
2. He didn’t say anything, he wrote it (hence we do not know the circumstances) and in any event I didn’t defend it.
3. I also didn’t say he was suitable material for a government advisor - I said that is for the government to decide.
4. I can easily prove no hypocrisy by never having claimed Labour should sack Seamus Milne for views I for one think are abhorrent (one, they are views not actions, and two, he is not an elected official so does not have to meet those standards - we can of course feel free not to elect those who are advised by someone with those views, and guess what, we just did).
5. Sir Roger Scruton (your later reply) was one of the greatest living Britons who had more compassion than all of us out together. He died only a few weeks ago and I for one was taught never to speak ill of the dead.

Must do better if you want to play with the adults. I’ll be crossing you off my Christmas card list at this rate.

The intolerance of today’s hyper-liberal is breathtaking, shutting down opinion and conversation in any form. More high de-coupling needed.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 pm
You will do as you’re told young lady or there’ll be a reckoning.
Young lady, you definitely get tops marks for that :) How wrong can you be lol. The young bit I hasten to add!!

I was, a told long ago told I was been taken to; 1. A Happening, 2. A boogaloo, 3. A Go Go, but I've never been to a reckoning :lol:

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 pm

How is highlighting and challenging a person's views shutting down opinion? He lost his job because his position reflected badly on the party, not because of some sort of vicious pogrom aimed at idiots with idiot ideas.

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Young lady, you definitely get tops marks for that :) How wrong can you be lol. The young bit I hasten to add!!

I was, a told long ago told I was been taken to; 1. A Happening, 2. A boogaloo, 3. A Go Go, but I've never been to a reckoning :lol:
You should get out more. I’m free tomorrow.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:02 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm
objection me'lord, you quoted me and replied directly to my quote and therefore aimed directly as a statement at me (and the press) therefore not a general observation!!

I recount my part regarding shouting, you are correct you didn't

(I agree, the press are biased) I should not have been swayed by Cryssys instructions, and I learned my lesson on his last attempt :D
Fair enough. (I'm speaking very gently).
What I mean't was that since this is an open forum, read by anyone who chooses to do so, my observation was intended for anyone who happened to read it, and for them to "engage" if they wished to.
So yes I used the quote function but my reply wasn't specifically directed at you.
Hope that clears things up.(Glad that we agree about the press, and maybe I misunderstood your initial post. It makes sense in context. Memo to self: always read back a few posts to establish context before posting.)

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm

1. Right wing - nope. Economically left, socially slightly right of middle (hence I am tolerant and compassionate, unlike the socially far-left hyper-liberals).
2. He didn’t say anything, he wrote it (hence we do not know the circumstances) and in any event I didn’t defend it.
3. I also didn’t say he was suitable material for a government advisor - I said that is for the government to decide.
4. I can easily prove no hypocrisy by never having claimed Labour should sack Seamus Milne for views I for one think are abhorrent (one, they are views not actions, and two, he is not an elected official so does not have to meet those standards - we can of course feel free not to elect those who are advised by someone with those views, and guess what, we just did).
5. Sir Roger Scruton (your later reply) was one of the greatest living Britons who had more compassion than all of us out together. He died only a few weeks ago and I for one was taught never to speak ill of the dead.

Must do better if you want to play with the adults. I’ll be crossing you off my Christmas card list at this rate.

The intolerance of today’s hyper-liberal is breathtaking, shutting down opinion and conversation in any form. More high de-coupling needed.
"Minister Kwasi Kwarteng says Andrew Sabisky remarks were 'racist and reprehensible' and adviser 'jumped before he was pushed'

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am

claretandy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm
The EU: You can have a deal like Canada
The UK: That sounds great, where do we sign ?
The EU: Sorry you can't have it now, we need you to sign up to LPF and have close alignment
The UK: No deal it is then.

And that's when we realise just how stupid Boris is. We will be so desperate for trade deals with anyone, America will be allowed to trample all over us. Bye bye NHS, hello chlorinated chicken. How long before we become America's 51st state?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am
And that's when we realise just how stupid Boris is. We will be so desperate for trade deals with anyone, America will be allowed to trample all over us. Bye bye NHS, hello chlorinated chicken. How long before we become America's 51st state?
That will never happen. Making us a state would entail giving us representation. They'll prefer to keep us a territory, so limit our democratic rights.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:11 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm

What's a "far left hyperliberal"? By what means do they shut down debate, or otherwise censor people?

I can point out to you how the right wing press, which makes up about 87% of print news by readership, shuts down debate. They refuse to cover issues they don't like, or they use ridicule against them. Finally, when they can do neither of those they attack - thus how the Leveson Report was described as the end of a free press in the UK, or the EU as the second coming of the Third Reich. Ignoring or ridiculing things like climate change (and the people demanding action against it) go beyond editorial direction and veer off into pure propaganda of the kind common in the Soviet Union. If they can't report on the news, and give readers at least a semblance of balance when doing so, then can we accurately call these things newspapers anymore? If the media withhold information from the public then that public can no longer be said to be informed, and the voices of those dissenting from the press line have been silenced. You could argue that newspapers should be able to print what they like, but if they're not printing the news, then they're not doing their job.

Interested to see how the "far left hyper-liberal" crowd stacks up against this.
This user liked this post: Cryssys

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 am
That will never happen. Making us a state would entail giving us representation. They'll prefer to keep us a territory, so limit our democratic rights.
One thing is for sure. We won't be in control of our own destiny. We will now be even more of an insignificant small island. :(

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am
One thing is for sure. We won't be in control of our own destiny. We will now be even more of an insignificant small island. :(
well you're just a barrel of laughs aren't you!! Plus a few other things along with Andrew, continually be wrong is right in line with most of his clique, which fell by the wayside when they realized they were in fact a minority but you must be one of his new members or maybe the same, just with a different user name.