Man City banned from Europe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Man City banned from Europe

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 am

SGr wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am
When all's said and done, it is still an investment company from the UAE vs the European football establishment. It's not just UEFA the entity we're talking about, it's the European elite protecting their standing in the game.

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Barcelona...it's in all their interests to prevent the "new money" of City and PSG from gaining a serious foothold.
It is the very public face of a Middle Eastern State and owned by the ruler of that State - The whole aim of the club is to give that state a powerful public presence at regional and global level

The introduction of FFP was essentially the response of those Old European Grandee clubs to prevent further usurpers (Chelsea, City and PSG were more than enough for them) from entering their gilded circle and to prevent the established usurpers from Obliterating them in the medium to long term - for all intents and purposes the usurpers are now accepted as part of the privileged few - what remains is the polite but very real war between all clubs at that level
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 am
It is the very public face of a Middle Eastern State and owned by the ruler of that State - The whole aim of the club is to give that state a powerful public presence at regional and global level

The introduction of FFP was essentially the response of those Old European Grandee clubs to prevent further usurpers (Chelsea, City and PSG were more than enough for them) from entering their gilded circle and to prevent the established usurpers from Obliterating them in the medium to long term - for all intents and purposes the usurpers are now accepted as part of the privileged few - what remains is the polite but very real war between all clubs at that level
Spot on.

Even Barcelona are relatively new to the scene and have faced sanctions. Bayern and Juventus in particular have a habit of running European football behind closed doors.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:08 am

This article explains how City (and PSG) got away so lightly last time

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2 ... fp-escape/

read that last sentence and you will understand why I said that they were a ruthless bunch

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:21 am

SGr wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 am
Spot on.

Even Barcelona are relatively new to the scene and have faced sanctions. Bayern and Juventus in particular have a habit of running European football behind closed doors.
It is no coincidence in City's attitude that key executives and strategists at City are ex Barcelona

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1116 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am

KellyClaret wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:33 pm
There's nothing wrong with the owners companies sponsoring or having name rights to the stadium. The reason City have been punished is because the amount that they have been sponsored is deemed to far exceed market value.
It’s also that City’s owners paid some of the “sponsorship money” out of their own pockets. Then recorded it as coming from Etihad Airways, allegedly. Basically hiding their own investment. City fans will now be taking over Utds song of “we’re Man City, we do what we want”.
I just hope the Premier league have the balls to be ruthless and relegate the cheating barstewards.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:04 am

Hopefully UEFA have the balls to stick by their decision and make a stand.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm

With regards to 5th & 8th getting the CL & Europa league places I'm not so sure.

Wasn't it the case two seasons ago that we were debating at which point we'd join the Europa league as a team in Europe had been kicked out?

I think from memory they look at coefficients and seedings of all the teams in Europe so it's not just a case of giving a place to the next team down in the same league, but rather the next best placed teams across all the leagues.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm
With regards to 5th & 8th getting the CL & Europa league places I'm not so sure.

Wasn't it the case two seasons ago that we were debating at which point we'd join the Europa league as a team in Europe had been kicked out?

I think from memory they look at coefficients and seedings of all the teams in Europe so it's not just a case of giving a place to the next team down in the same league, but rather the next best placed teams across all the leagues.
Not sure why the Premier league as a whole would be punished though? I'd still expect the league to get its 7 European places.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 pm

UEFA have confirmed 5th an 8th would get in as per their rules

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 pm
UEFA have confirmed 5th an 8th would get in as per their rules
Will depend on how quick Citys appeal is sorted though I'm guessing? If they appeal won't the ban be automatically delayed?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:37 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm
Will depend on how quick Citys appeal is sorted though I'm guessing? If they appeal won't the ban be automatically delayed?
Not necessarily if CAS expedite their hearing - though City will appeal that if goes against them and/or go to the civil courts in Switzerland - and at every stage will try to get the punishment suspended

of course if City do get those suspensions and lose all their cases - 2 clubs would very probably want to sue for missed opportunities at CL and EL

the one thing we know is that it will get very messy

The interesting element is that recent changes of procedural practice means that CAS could make the hearing public - which could change the level of aggression City use in pursuit of their goal also Cities hierarchy would not want all that detail so readily in the public arena unless they were very confident - it could be a bit of a streaming sensation

EDIT - these posts by Legal experts in the field give the detail

https://twitter.com/JohnMehrzadLaw/stat ... 2379548672

this post explains why Football Leaks data can be used at CAS

https://twitter.com/JohnMehrzadLaw/stat ... 9199844352
Last edited by Chester Perry on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Garlick is not happy with the punishment UEFA has dished out believing the ban should have extended to all English league clubs and not just Man City
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Just to emphasise about the consequential impact for 5th and 8th if the appeal is not settled quickly and/or city get a suspension of the ban then lose the appeal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -domestic/

personally I would like to see similar approach to such appeals as that used by the FA for Erroneous appeals over red cards - extend the ban if the appeal fails - would lead to a more considered approach I feel

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Put this on the Magic Money Tree thread but is possibly more relevant here

We have seen it at clubs like Bolton, Bury and Macclesfield that players can walk away from their clubs and become free agents after breaches of contract by the club (failure to pay wages in those instances) but it transpires that it is possible that City players and staff could do the same should the clubs appeal fail

https://twitter.com/JohnMehrzadLaw/stat ... 7064341505

that might explain why club officials were so keen to bring together the squad last night

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-ban.html

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am

Guardiola only has one year left on his contract, so I'm sure City will think even if they delay the ban it will be worth it.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:46 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 pm
Just to emphasise about the consequential impact for 5th and 8th if the appeal is not settled quickly and/or city get a suspension of the ban then lose the appeal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -domestic/

personally I would like to see similar approach to such appeals as that used by the FA for Erroneous appeals over red cards - extend the ban if the appeal fails - would lead to a more considered approach I feel
You stole my thunder CP.
Appeal if you must but lose and the fine/ban is doubled.