Anti football.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Anti football.

Post by Firthy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:09 pm

As Burnley have been accused of anti football, I wonder exactly what anti football is. For me football is about goals and excitement. Most of the interest is when the ball is in front of goal, wether it's a goal, a near miss, a brilliant tackle in the box, a great save or clearance of the line. The bit I find most tedious is the midfield passes, backwards, forwards, sideways, keeping possesion and waiting for a mistake or opportunity to attack.

Looking at our stats from yesterday and other games we have half the posession of the other team but the same or more attempts on goal. The commentator said during yesterdays match that despite Southamptons posession that Burnley had the better chances looked the more dangerous team and more likely to score.

Maybe it's these other teams like Aresnal and Southampton who despite greater posession have created fewer chances that are really anti football because they play more of the tippy tappy passes to keep posession. We on the other hand are more direct, wether it's long balls or fewer passes it definitely creates more incidents, excitement and chances.

So I'm happy in the knowledge that we play more exciting football and that it's not us who are anti football.
These 6 users liked this post: tim_noone IanMcL MT03ALG cricketfield73 Blackburn_Claret turfytopper

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Re: Anti football.

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 pm

We are anti football because we do not play it out with short goal kicks, don't take 16 passes to get to the halfway line and then go back to the keeper, don't conform to what the media consider as football, we do still make tackles and get stuck in.
We do not conform to the idea of the modern game as a non-contact sport where players should not be endangered by tackling them etc., etc.

Long may it continue!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Anti Football is actually football as we have always known it. Get it forward, quick 1-2 passes and crosses and shots. Not always accurate but always for a positive purpose. Tackling too.

All this passing about is very boring and usually pointless, unless you have the very elite players, when it can be worthwhile to watch and applaud.

Passing about is for continental playing in 90 degrees.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco Bosscat

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Commentator said at one point “this is Burnley doing what they’re good at... being Burnley”

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by Claret Toni » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Agree with most of this except for the tackling bit. I don't believe we are a side that tackles much, I think we gain possession by intercepting.

I've no stats to back this up save for tacking, when mistimed, invites cards, which we don't seem to get too many of.

Cue opta stats t prove I watch a different game from everyone else. :)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Scoring goals wins matches.

Football is all about winning matches.

The day Football is all about tippy tappy triangles with no end result I will stop watching it.

Football is also about defending ... and when we are under the cosh there are no 2 better players than Mee and Tarka. Yes they make mistakes (all players do at times) but in our 2 we have a pair who are on the same wavelength 99% of the time.

Come on you Clarets
This user liked this post: tiger76