Dyche's ability to turn results around

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Dyche's ability to turn results around

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 pm

How many times has Sean Dyche and his team managed to turn us around when the prospects looked lost? He did it when we were aiming for promotion and we went on an historic unbeaten run to win the Chamiopnship. He did it last season when it looked really bleak and went on another good run.gone and we ended up in safe as houses. This has happened more than a few times.

He has just gone and done it again.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Dyche's ability to turn results around

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 pm

And people still want him gone...unbelievable.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Mr Dyche to us.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm

We’ll always have good runs and bad runs. The meltdown during the last poor run was ludicrous and showed a lack of respect for our leader.

That said even I as the happiest of clappers didn’t predict a turn round like the last four results.

I now an ecstatic clapper haha :lol: :lol:

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm
We’ll always have good runs and bad runs. The meltdown during the last poor run was ludicrous and showed a lack of respect for our leader.

That said even I as the happiest of clappers didn’t predict a turn round like the last four results.

I now an ecstatic clapper haha :lol: :lol:
In Dyche we trust.

Legend.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

As good as Sean might be he cannot change results.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 pm

I think there are better teams (on paper) below us in the table.Some of these clubs have expensive players. Sean has a unique ability however over these managers-he finds a way to win a game.Did it in our last two away games Not pretty at times but it secures the points and our survival in the PL. We are one fortunate club for having retained up for so long-I say this in admission to being really down after the recent long losing run, ending with the Villa defeat, when I thought we were serious contenders to go down

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:42 pm

The percentages and margins he talks so often about have fallen in our favour of late and resulted in a fantastic points return just when we needed it.

He talks of freedom quite often and I wonder if the tough run on paper gave the lads the freedom they needed to get the ball down and play.

As has been said regularly on this board we look so much better when we press teams and look to pass the ball.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Can’t understand why anyone ever thinks he won’t turn it around. I said at the start of the season that we could finish top half and possibly in Europe again and nothing I have seen during the season has changed that.

There’s a few that I speak to that start panicking after every defeat and when we lose 3 or 4 on the bounce they’re intolerable. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance but you just can’t see another relegation under this great manager....
This user liked this post: Bosscat

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 pm

I've great respect for Dyche and hope that he remains at the helm for a long time to come, but he sometimes appears slow / reluctant to change things even when things aren't going well.
Barnes injury has turned out to be pivotal (IMO), since we look a far better team with Jay in it. Would the manager have made this change otherwise? / Would our form have picked up if we had stuck with Wood and Barnes? (Well we'll never know)
Another enforced change yesterday gave Vydra his chance. He took it.
This user liked this post: claretfern

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:39 pm

where are all those critics now ? I still favour a sell out to richer men, but undoubtably dyche has some real ability.
All those desperate posts about him only playing a certain way, or his lack of knowledge about when to sub players, jesus !! how embarrassing for the know nothings it must be .

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:44 pm

We picked up because JRod replaced the playing injured Ash Barnes. He was only get cameos before then but our play has improved both sides of the ball since he got himself back to match fit. JRod closes down quicker, runs with the ball, holds it up to bring others in and shoots on sight. Barnes has different abilities but none of these.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:44 pm
We picked up because JRod replaced the playing injured Ash Barnes. He was only get cameos before then but our play has improved both sides of the ball since he got himself back to match fit. JRod closes down quicker, runs with the ball, holds it up to bring others in and shoots on sight. Barnes has different abilities but none of these.
you might be right, but again, just how many posts ridiculed rodriguez and what a a lame duck signing he was. ?

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:06 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:44 pm
So what's the explanation for the September-October run when Barnes was playing and we were unbeaten for 4 games, then he dropped out and Rodriguez played the next three matches. Leicester 1-2. Chelsea 2-4, Sheffield United 0-3? Or his other two starts before the recent run, Spurs 0-5 and Everton 0-1? Before this run, he played 5, lost 5, scored 3 conceded 15. There is more to this run than Jay Rodriguez.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 am

Burnley and Sean Dyche were made for each other.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 am

Some managers stumble upon success through good fortune (eg. Owen Coyle) or achieve it once or twice through persistence (eg. Holloway).

But some managers manage to turn teams around. To mould success out of failure. To biuld on success, constantly fight against complacency or stagnation or a malaise of attitude.

These managers are few and far between. Think perhaps of Ferguson, Clough or maybe W*rnock.

We can surely add Dyche to that list.

He has turned around results several times.

His first half season - turned into a promotion season
His first attempt at the Premier League - turned into a Championship winning season
Even within the Chapionship winning season - he turned poor performances into a 23, 23 undefeated...
He turned survival in the Premier League into qualifying for Europe
He turned a relegation-bound side bereft of all sorts into mid-table respectability
And this season he has turned a full blown crisis (which it was at one point) into a mere wobble that will not define the season.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 am

He also turned us from a side who could produce an upset in the cups into a side who ....

Well, let's not dwell on that side, eh?

There's plenty to be positive about.

*cheeky smiley face*

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:51 am

FCBurnley wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 am
Burnley and Sean Dyche were made for each other.
Everybody tells me so
This user liked this post: IanMcL

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:11 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 pm
I've great respect for Dyche and hope that he remains at the helm for a long time to come, but he sometimes appears slow / reluctant to change things even when things aren't going well.
Barnes injury has turned out to be pivotal (IMO), since we look a far better team with Jay in it. Would the manager have made this change otherwise? / Would our form have picked up if we had stuck with Wood and Barnes? (Well we'll never know)
Another enforced change yesterday gave Vydra his chance. He took it.
McNeil last season too.
But look at it this way, a player coming into the squad with something to prove, knowing it's now or never to shine can only come from a prolonged period of not playing.
In some ways you want a bench of hungry players almost hoping for an injury to get themselves on the pitch. Many footballers have alluded to this with the caveat that that they hope their mate isn't seriously hurt.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am

Rowls wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 am

These managers are few and far between. Think perhaps of Ferguson, Clough or maybe W*rnock.
Agree with the sentiment but definitely wouldn’t include Colin in such a reference to Dyche. He has done the square root of nothing in the premier league....

As for the ones saying he is slow to change things:
There is nothing to suggest we don’t win at Southampton with Wood rather than Vydra...
There is nothing to suggest we don’t pick up with a fully fit Barnes/Wood combination rather than Jay Rod coming in, given the similar purple patch last season with Barnes/Wood...
Just because we lose a few doesn’t mean the enforcement of change makes the difference as we will always lose games here and there in the prem (sometimes 4 or 5 on the bounce)...
Given that Dyche has always worked on limited changes and slower integration of change than most managers, it clearly works because we have progressed every season....

For those that think we haven’t progressed every season you just have to look at how much more dangerous we are in terms of goal scoring than we ever have been. There has been a marked difference year on year and the squad is now light years beyond what it was 5 years ago...
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret IanMcL

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:06 am
So what's the explanation for the September-October run when Barnes was playing and we were unbeaten for 4 games, then he dropped out and Rodriguez played the next three matches. Leicester 1-2. Chelsea 2-4, Sheffield United 0-3? Or his other two starts before the recent run, Spurs 0-5 and Everton 0-1? Before this run, he played 5, lost 5, scored 3 conceded 15. There is more to this run than Jay Rodriguez.
I haven’t analysed every millisecond of those matches but first would suggest the quality of the opposition on the day and second possibly JRod was expected to play the Barnes roll then where now he plays as we would want him to. He can come short to take it in to feet and he has more pace for runs in behind.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 am

I'm not sure of the reasons and I won't speculate but it is quite amazing how in about 4 weeks we have gone from a team looking fairly down and out (as most people on here thought) to a team that now, if City's ban is upheld, is only 5 points from a Champions League place. Even the BBC website was saying as much at the weekend. Superb.

Hope that somehow Vydra can get a run of games now but we do need a fit Wood and that would pose some slight problems for Dyche, albeit good ones. JR has given us a more expansive way of playing up front too. I think if Vydra gets a bit of a run in the team to get proper 'match fit' Barnes could be the one sidelined slightly, which wouldn't bother me too much. The lad always works hard, 100%, but he does lack subtlety and skill and I have always said this. If we can keep Vydra, which I have always wanted, we could have a pretty good batch of strikers in the four of them, providing Dyche was willing to rotate (and that is a whole other thing).

All in all though thoughts now must be to looking up rather than behind us. Half a point per game now would see us (probably) more than safe and with our run in that should be easilly achievable. With City's ban the Euro places will extend down to possibly 8th, cue the moaners on here who don't want Euro football. :D :D :D

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:42 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 am
I haven’t analysed every millisecond of those matches but first would suggest the quality of the opposition on the day and second possibly JRod was expected to play the Barnes roll then where now he plays as we would want him to. He can come short to take it in to feet and he has more pace for runs in behind.
Agreed. There's been a welcome tactical change in recent weeks (enforced or by choice?), whereas earlier in the season we were not playing to Jay's strengths, [still lumping it forwards as if Barnes were still there]. We have even more scope if Vydra is given regular opportunities. (Of course one swan doesn't make a summer, so Vydra will have to prove himself now).

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 pm
How many times has Sean Dyche and his team managed to turn us around when the prospects looked lost? He did it when we were aiming for promotion and we went on an historic unbeaten run to win the Chamiopnship. He did it last season when it looked really bleak and went on another good run.gone and we ended up in safe as houses. This has happened more than a few times.

He has just gone and done it again.
Whilst he’s turned form round multiple times the only place prospects looked “lost” in any of them were on here.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am

Sean Dyche makes a passport essential.