Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
AlargeClaret
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 615 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:28 pm

I see XR have dug up lawns at Cambridge uni (Trinity ) literally in broad daylight just vandalised the grounds. The saddest thing is nobody did a thing no police called nothing .Though I’m guessing a bit safer than the tube ?

Cambridge's Trinity College lawn dug u ... e-51534446

pushpinpussy
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:57 am
Been Liked: 491 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 pm

extinction seems just about right for this group
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 MT03ALG

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:41 pm

I'd forgotten about them for a minute. Thanks for bringing climate change to the front of my mind again.

You botched your link, so it's here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-51534446

Burnley Ace
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 1358 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Why isn’t there some sort of safeguarding investigation into these people? They are groomers!
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

thomaspaine
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 pm
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by thomaspaine » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm

I don't know the details and would never countenance mindless acts of vandalism but only a fool would criticise the overall aims of Extinction Rebellion. They are trying to protect the planet for our children and our children's children. Seems more than reasonable to me.
This user liked this post: alboclaret

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 pm

It's natural to invoke progeny when pursuing such noble causes but in all honesty they're saving their own bacon every bit as much as that of future generations. Our little corner of the world won't be the worst materially affected by climate change but there are serious political ramifications that come from the global order being upended by the migratory and economic consequences of famine and drought, and the rate and spontaneity of disaster events escalating. Those things have a bearing on our lives in Britain every bit as much as flooding and extreme heat felt here at home - probably more so when a picture of a queue of immigrants and a slogan can so terrify folks. Syria is the first true case study. It's happening now, it'll get worse, everyone reading this comment will see it escalate in their own life.

Tricky Trevor
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 989 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

thomaspaine wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm
I don't know the details and would never countenance mindless acts of vandalism but only a fool would criticise the overall aims of Extinction Rebellion. They are trying to protect the planet for our children and our children's children. Seems more than reasonable to me.
********. They are attention seeking wankers. Governments, apart from Trump and China, have come to their senses and are moving in the right direction.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 1308 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Had they received a dig or 2 themselves they could have taught their kids the dangers of damaging property that isn’t your own

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm
********. They are attention seeking wankers. Governments, apart from Trump and China, have come to their senses and are moving in the right direction.
A reduction in carbon output is the main goal, but there are other elements at play which activists focus on, such as water and land management policy. For example, Australia's climate change denying government recently made huge cuts to firies services for all the typical small-state ideology reasons. The land management was poor as a result and there was no funding for controlled burns. Well...that worked out well.

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 pm
Had they received a dig or 2 themselves they could have taught their kids the dangers of damaging property that isn’t your own
Damaging property that isn't your own...on a thread about climate change?

Caballo
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Caballo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Its criminal damage, end of. Lock the bellends up.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG Holtyclaret

Clarets4me
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1577 times
Has Liked: 687 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Caballo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Its criminal damage, end of. Lock the bellends up.
Post of the day ! Succinct, right, and to the point ! :D

Stproc
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 146 times
Location: Ribble Valley
Contact:

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Stproc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Their methodology of winding people up and damaging things will not gain them any influential followers. They undermine themselves every time they do something.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

EarbyClaret
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:48 am
Been Liked: 359 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 pm

Stproc wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm
Their methodology of winding people up and damaging things will not gain them any influential followers. They undermine themselves every time they do something.
Don't think they're out to win any popularity contests. The thing is, a fairly minor act of localised 'vandalism' carried out by a small group of people had them as the most read story on the BBC news website this afternoon.

Whether you agree or disagree with the way they go about what they do they're very effective when it comes to grabbing media attention.

dsr
Posts: 10307
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3015 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 pm

One problem is that they do such stupid things. They protest about the destruction of the environment by digging up a lawn. They protest about too much use of cars by stopping public transport. You don't gain support by being idiots.

tim_noone
Posts: 14147
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3636 times
Has Liked: 12450 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by tim_noone » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 pm
One problem is that they do such stupid things. They protest about the destruction of the environment by digging up a lawn. They protest about too much use of cars by stopping public transport. You don't gain support by being idiots.
Monty python was very popular watched by Millions.they had quite a few Idiots tbh. 8-)

Wile E Coyote
Posts: 6595
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:22 pm
Been Liked: 2091 times
Has Liked: 1248 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 am

i think the clue is in the name, maybe making a point about imminent mass self destruction is worthy of a charge of criminal damage.
This user liked this post: Spiral

Dy1geo
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:17 am

I think they should flag or pave over these areas of greenery to prevent ER digging it up in the future

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 am

It's undoubtedly criminal damage, and the stunt has attracted attention which is rather the point (congratulations, AlargeClaret, for bringing attention to it here) but, in spite of the confident and pithy and somewhat boneheaded proclamations intended to make folk feel righteous in their observance of the law, to believe that stating this rather obvious fact is the "end of" the conversation is quite primitive. There are people living in costal towns in Britain who might well develop some strong opinions on what constitutes 'criminal damage' when (not 'if', when) inaction, inertia, and, at worst, hostility and ignorance, prevent meaningful measures being taken to mitigate climate change, inevitably and demonstrably resulting in sea level rise, intensified weather, and thus costal erosion to the degree that their homes sink into the sea and they are rendered climate refugees. This is already playing out in Wales. 'Sell up and move, then' is hardly a solution for quite obvious reasons that I'm worried I still might need to explain on this thread. To whom do these victims of circumstance turn, because apparently they aren't to expect any form of compensation? God only knows if insurance is even viable, to say nothing of the desolation that will become of such towns and villages. "999...yes, hello, I'd like to report a crime. My home has been destroyed by a combination of corruption and government incompetence. Send the police." Do they not also have a valid argument for criminal damage - in the natural sense of the law, if not in statute - being done to them and their homes by polluters and abusers and their enablers in government? It's not exactly surprising to see activists and protestors taking actions outside the framework of the law when said framework has primarily served an authority whom those protestors believe to be perpetuating an injustice; namely, inaction (in some quarters up until very, very recently, outright denial of climate change) tantamount to the theft of the prospect of future habitable viability for themselves, their kids, and a whole lot of other life on earth. That's the essence of civil disobedience. It isn't anything new.
These 3 users liked this post: Lord Beamish LordBob longsidepies

Burnley Ace
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 1358 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:29 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 am
It's undoubtedly criminal damage, and the stunt has attracted attention which is rather the point (congratulations, AlargeClaret, for bringing attention to it here) but, in spite of the confident and pithy and somewhat boneheaded proclamations intended to make folk feel righteous in their observance of the law, to believe that stating this rather obvious fact is the "end of" the conversation is quite primitive. There are people living in costal towns in Britain who might well develop some strong opinions on what constitutes 'criminal damage' when (not 'if', when) inaction, inertia, and, at worst, hostility and ignorance, prevent meaningful measures being taken to mitigate climate change, inevitably and demonstrably resulting in sea level rise, intensified weather, and thus costal erosion to the degree that their homes sink into the sea and they are rendered climate refugees. This is already playing out in Wales. 'Sell up and move, then' is hardly a solution for quite obvious reasons that I'm worried I still might need to explain on this thread. To whom do these victims of circumstance turn, because apparently they aren't to expect any form of compensation? God only knows if insurance is even viable, to say nothing of the desolation that will become of such towns and villages. "999...yes, hello, I'd like to report a crime. My home has been destroyed by a combination of corruption and government incompetence. Send the police." Do they not also have a valid argument for criminal damage - in the natural sense of the law, if not in statute - being done to them and their homes by polluters and abusers and their enablers in government? It's not exactly surprising to see activists and protestors taking actions outside the framework of the law when said framework has primarily served an authority whom those protestors believe to be perpetuating an injustice; namely, inaction (in some quarters up until very, very recently, outright denial of climate change) tantamount to the theft of the prospect of future habitable viability for themselves, their kids, and a whole lot of other life on earth. That's the essence of civil disobedience. It isn't anything new.
Yet whilst their tactics get them exposure it’s negative. Civil disobedience is in essence non violent, ER are a violent group who are actually a “gateway” organisation that, within its membership, have people who deliberately target and groom impressionable young members and recruit them into more violent and extreme organisations.

Caballo
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Caballo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 am
It's undoubtedly criminal damage, and the stunt has attracted attention which is rather the point (congratulations, AlargeClaret, for bringing attention to it here) but, in spite of the confident and pithy and somewhat boneheaded proclamations intended to make folk feel righteous in their observance of the law, to believe that stating this rather obvious fact is the "end of" the conversation is quite primitive. There are people living in costal towns in Britain who might well develop some strong opinions on what constitutes 'criminal damage' when (not 'if', when) inaction, inertia, and, at worst, hostility and ignorance, prevent meaningful measures being taken to mitigate climate change, inevitably and demonstrably resulting in sea level rise, intensified weather, and thus costal erosion to the degree that their homes sink into the sea and they are rendered climate refugees. This is already playing out in Wales. 'Sell up and move, then' is hardly a solution for quite obvious reasons that I'm worried I still might need to explain on this thread. To whom do these victims of circumstance turn, because apparently they aren't to expect any form of compensation? God only knows if insurance is even viable, to say nothing of the desolation that will become of such towns and villages. "999...yes, hello, I'd like to report a crime. My home has been destroyed by a combination of corruption and government incompetence. Send the police." Do they not also have a valid argument for criminal damage - in the natural sense of the law, if not in statute - being done to them and their homes by polluters and abusers and their enablers in government? It's not exactly surprising to see activists and protestors taking actions outside the framework of the law when said framework has primarily served an authority whom those protestors believe to be perpetuating an injustice; namely, inaction (in some quarters up until very, very recently, outright denial of climate change) tantamount to the theft of the prospect of future habitable viability for themselves, their kids, and a whole lot of other life on earth. That's the essence of civil disobedience. It isn't anything new.
My apologies Spiral, I'll endeavour to align my primitive proclamations with your pompous musings in future.

Corky
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Corky » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:13 am

The overarching principle that ER stand for is the survival of the human race on this planet. Given the obstacles that we can clearly see to ensuring that doesn't happen, digging up someone lawn in Cambridge does seem pretty mild in comparison. I suppose the question we should ask is does it do any good? I was told by a Marketing friend some years ago that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I'm not so sure that's true but I got his point. And of course here we are now discussing ER and more importantly the condition of our climate.

There are however people out there who deny climate change, they should be put quite firmly in the box with holocaust deniers.

But what do we do to combat climate change. There are a whole range of views stretching from those who would like us to regress to living a life more in keeping with that of the middle ages with a few modern frills for convenience, going right the way through to those that think that science and technology hold the key and will dig us out of this vast hole that we have dug for ourselves. I'm sort of in the middle but worry that Politicians of whatever stripe are not taking it seriously enough or treating it with the urgency it deserves. This is in part due to the adversarial nature of our political system and the fact that politicians only seem able to think in chunks of 5 years, 10 is you are really lucky and then it can get really messy see HS2 for evidence.

I'll give you one example, water. According to a report from the Environmental Agency we in the UK are likely to run out by 2050. So, given the amount that has just fallen on us what happens to it. Well, given the general inertia of Government when the water has yet again damaged whole regions of the country we eventually let it run off into the sea. When was the last time we built a reservoir. Just like we need a proper integrated transport policy we also need massive investment in controlling the flow of water from our uplands down to the sea. We also, in conjunction, need to see what we can do to use less than the 140 litres daily we currently waste.

Because, yes, we have a part to play in all this as well. But will we or will we become extinct?

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:22 am

I had just read a worrying article before reading this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... SApp_Other


There are if you look around and read articles such at that one changes a foot that you don’t need scientists to be ramming down our throats. Rivers levels levels went higher in than in 200 years of records this week.

If we accept as I do things are changing and we need to adapt to try to prevent things getting worse and worse than what advice do Extinction Rebellion give on their website to help the planet.

When I read it a few months back, it was none!!!!

It was all links to climate change articles and encouragement to join protest and cause criminal damage.

It’s just another extremist organisation, They are eco terrorists. Brian dead and brain washed into just causing distraction and damage with no real plan or any ideas to help the planet.


What we need is to given factual information that can help the planet s those of us who believe it’s happening can make changes . Currently no one has any real ideas, not that I have read anyway.

Palm oil, the biggest cause of rain forest destruction in the world. No one gives a sh1t about. I try my upmost to avoid products with it in but it’s now in everything.

If anyone watches extinct or alive, watch series 2 episode 9. The dracula monkey of Borneo. Just see the destruction of the forest on the programme.


It’s not going to end well, but there’s no real actions any of us can take to stop it.

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by deanothedino » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 am

thomaspaine wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm
I don't know the details and would never countenance mindless acts of vandalism but only a fool would criticise the overall aims of Extinction Rebellion. They are trying to protect the planet for our children and our children's children. Seems more than reasonable to me.
Unfortunately they overshadow their aims by digging up lawns and spreading them across the floors of banks because they don't have 2 brain cells between the lot of them.

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by deanothedino » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 am

Corky wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:13 am

I'll give you one example, water. According to a report from the Environmental Agency we in the UK are likely to run out by 2050. So, given the amount that has just fallen on us what happens to it. Well, given the general inertia of Government when the water has yet again damaged whole regions of the country we eventually let it run off into the sea. When was the last time we built a reservoir. Just like we need a proper integrated transport policy we also need massive investment in controlling the flow of water from our uplands down to the sea. We also, in conjunction, need to see what we can do to use less than the 140 litres daily we currently waste.
Yes, Corky. You are correct. What we really need to do is modify the planet even more solely to suit our needs because that isn't how we accelerated climate change in the first place.

ChorltonCharlie
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:57 am
Been Liked: 290 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 am

Saying we're moving in the right direction might sound good, but an analogy I'd use is I want to go on holiday to Australia this year so I'm going to set off walking from Burnley now. We're far too selfish as a species to really make this happen. In fairness to governments they're light touch because to do what's really needed would see them out of power in the next election and policies reversed. You only need to walk outside your front door to see evidence of human selfishness. Look at all the new cars on the road that are far more powerful than needed. Look at people who drive short distances rather than walk. I live in a village and the only shop is within half a mile of pretty much every house. Loads of people drive there though. A tangent maybe, but litter is everywhere including out in the countryside. Houses lit up like it's Christmas, and yes I know some outdoor lights are solar powered but not all. Still many of us jet off all around the world looking in search of sun and tourism. Veganism is a really growing these days, but the vast majority of us are still completely opposed to it (my one off Sharwoods with Quorn in it isn't going to save the world). Those kind of examples are just the start, and in general it's difficult to criticise because these behaviors are ingrained in all of us. If the science is right though we have to change a hell of a lot of our behaviours to make a difference.

I don't particularly agree with the way XR go about things. I think they risk alienating a lot of people, but the challenge they face is not alientating people, but getting the world to change as much as is needed.

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by deanothedino » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:25 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 am
Saying we're moving in the right direction might sound good, but an analogy I'd use is I want to go on holiday to Australia this year so I'm going to set off walking from Burnley now. We're far too selfish as a species to really make this happen. In fairness to governments they're light touch because to do what's really needed would see them out of power in the next election and policies reversed. You only need to walk outside your front door to see evidence of human selfishness. Look at all the new cars on the road that are far more powerful than needed. Look at people who drive short distances rather than walk. I live in a village and the only shop is within half a mile of pretty much every house. Loads of people drive there though. A tangent maybe, but litter is everywhere including out in the countryside. Houses lit up like it's Christmas, and yes I know some outdoor lights are solar powered but not all. Still many of us jet off all around the world looking in search of sun and tourism. Veganism is a really growing these days, but the vast majority of us are still completely opposed to it (my one off Sharwoods with Quorn in it isn't going to save the world). Those kind of examples are just the start, and in general it's difficult to criticise because these behaviors are ingrained in all of us. If the science is right though we have to change a hell of a lot of our behaviours to make a difference.

I don't particularly agree with the way XR go about things. I think they risk alienating a lot of people, but the challenge they face is not alientating people, but getting the world to change as much as is needed.
And veganism is often worse for the environment when you are transporting avocados etc around the world.

ChorltonCharlie
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:57 am
Been Liked: 290 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:30 am

Quite possibly deanothedino. It's another issue, there's so many views and counter views. It's like Brexit, people pick a side then only want to take into account research/arguments that backs their agenda.

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by deanothedino » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am

Yep. At the end of the day there are too many humans for the planet to support us living the way we do. That's not just food source, that's concreting over everything.

Lots talk about needing to save the planet but at the end of the day, the planet isn't going anywhere. It will be us that disappears.

Hipper
Posts: 2758
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 572 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 am

deanothedino wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 am
Unfortunately they overshadow their aims by digging up lawns and spreading them across the floors of banks because they don't have 2 brain cells between the lot of them.
If you read the BBC link up the top of this thread you'll find that this was a well chosen action - highlighting Cambridge Trinity College's investment in developments with a negative environmental impact, not to mention Barclays Bank.

Damaging a more or less (depending how manicured it is) unnatural monoculture, which is what a lawn is, will do little harm.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Hipper
Posts: 2758
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 572 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 am

This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am

deanothedino wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 am
Yes, Corky. You are correct. What we really need to do is modify the planet even more solely to suit our needs because that isn't how we accelerated climate change in the first place.
There are many reservoirs in this area that have stopped being used for cost reduction reasons. We don’t need to build more, just put back the ones we have into use.

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by deanothedino » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 am

Hipper wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 am
If you read the BBC link up the top of this thread you'll find that this was a well chosen action - highlighting Cambridge Trinity College's investment in developments with a negative environmental impact, not to mention Barclays Bank.

Damaging a more or less (depending how manicured it is) unnatural monoculture, which is what a lawn is, will do little harm.
And what do they expect to happen to repair the damage?

You think it's well chosen. I think it's moronic. We are unlikely to get to a position where we agree.

nil_desperandum
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1404 times
Has Liked: 2648 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 am

Caballo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Its criminal damage, end of. Lock the bellends up.
Which - of course- is exactly what they want the authorities to do. You can't really win with this one. Ignore it and they'll continue to look at more extreme stunts; arrest them, take them to court and punish them and it gives them the publicity that they are seeking.
There's nothing an activist wants more than to be on the front pages or all over the internet.

elwaclaret
Posts: 2514
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am
Been Liked: 620 times
Has Liked: 1235 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 am

I take it they are taking the Suferage movement as their model... would someone like to explain to them it was just because they stopped the aggro and supported the War effort that won the vote. Not trying to pin rosettes on galloping horses.

dsr
Posts: 10307
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3015 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Corky wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:13 am
I'll give you one example, water. According to a report from the Environmental Agency we in the UK are likely to run out by 2050. So, given the amount that has just fallen on us what happens to it. Well, given the general inertia of Government when the water has yet again damaged whole regions of the country we eventually let it run off into the sea. When was the last time we built a reservoir. Just like we need a proper integrated transport policy we also need massive investment in controlling the flow of water from our uplands down to the sea. We also, in conjunction, need to see what we can do to use less than the 140 litres daily we currently waste.

Because, yes, we have a part to play in all this as well. But will we or will we become extinct?
Forget the water issue. If the water all runs into the sea, then all we need do is get it out of the sea again. If the time comes when it's needed, the government can build desalination plants and pumping stations. (i'm not sure it's politically viable this week!)

When you use 140 litres of water, what are you left with? 140 litres of water. There is virtually nothing we can do to water, certainly not in normal daily use, that changes water into something else. There is an issue with the energy used to clean the water, but no issue about using it.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:17 pm
Been Liked: 251 times
Has Liked: 13 times
Location: Blackburn

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Middle class eco-warrior champagne socialist vegan PC gaggle of absolute tossers.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:40 am
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 287 times
Location: From Accy, Exiled in Surrey

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm
********. They are attention seeking wankers. Governments, apart from Trump and China, have come to their senses and are moving in the right direction.
Hang on, you are all missing the point! Why does UTC ban '******' and not the plural 'wankers'???

Safety in numbers? :?:

Sausage
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 408 times
Location: London

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Sausage » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:31 pm

So Extinction Rebellion's protest about environmental change involves digging up a lawn that sequesters carbon, reduces rainwater run-off, provides habitat for invertebrates and offers a safe space for people to socialise and relax.

Absolute bellends.

Spiral
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Caballo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 am
My apologies Spiral, I'll endeavour to align my primitive proclamations with your pompous musings in future.
Call it pompous all you like, and it is a bit, but it saved me a back and forth. I've said my piece.

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6734
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 462 times
Location: Earth

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Hang on, you are all missing the point! Why does UTC ban '******' and not the plural 'wankers'???

Safety in numbers? :?:
If you banned wankers there'd be no one left to post on the forum.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

4:20
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 621 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by 4:20 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:17 pm

I'm not really bothered about all these stunts they do, not sure whether they are a net negative to their cause or not, they are responsible for their own optics.... but when it comes to blocking roads, re routing ambulances and such, no, that's not on. They can make a spectacle talked about the world over without blocking roads.

Corky
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion at it again ..mindless

Post by Corky » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Forget the water issue. If the water all runs into the sea, then all we need do is get it out of the sea again. If the time comes when it's needed, the government can build desalination plants and pumping stations. (i'm not sure it's politically viable this week!)

When you use 140 litres of water, what are you left with? 140 litres of water. There is virtually nothing we can do to water, certainly not in normal daily use, that changes water into something else. There is an issue with the energy used to clean the water, but no issue about using it.
Perhaps I should have also said that whilst you are correct - it is a sort of cycle in as much as the pint of water I drink will eventually find its way back into the system - this will inevitably take much longer when instead of being just you and I and a few million people it becomes billions of people. So we will require more readily available water to quench the thirst of the ever increasing population. And yes you are right this will take energy. Israel for instance have got some of the best desalination plants in the world and they are so efficient that are now reported to have a surplus of water. Indeed, one of the options to counter a rise in sea level is to have solar powered desalination plants in places like Africa producing water to irrigate the land to produce the additional food needed to go with our extra pinta.

Post Reply