Chelsea vs Man U

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Re: Chelsea vs Man U

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:01 am

I'm just about ok with the offsides reviewed by VAR, all be it, some take a ridiculous time to come to a decision but the Maguire kick and the Fred push are just incompetence of the highest order. Decisions like that make you question the integrity of the ref's. That's not a VAR problem but just down to the clowns using it.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:15 am

My only thought was it that makes our win at Old Trafford look even more impressive.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 am

Chelsea really harshly done to last night. With regards the offside, the argument that he's clearly offside doesn't stand up for me. Nor does Gary Neville's consistency argument. The freeze frame last night didn't show the ball being played. Does that mean a different camera is used for that? Then there's the accuracy of when the ball is played and how much difference the split second can make on that. My main 'new' issue with last nights goal was how the lines are drawn. Over the season we've seen loads of different body parts used. Yet last night they conveniently used the front toe of each player. Can't be arsed uploading a picture, but a quick google of "Giroud offside goal" shows plenty of images of the freeze frame. Giroud's foot is clearly outstretched, so it's right to use his toe. Maguire though has a different body shape and his leg is bent at the knee. Difficult to tell from the freeze frame but the knee is quite possibly further extended than his toes. So Giroud 'clearly' being about 3 inches offside may not be true if they didn't use the right part of Maguires body. There's also the argument that the ball can legally go in off the defenders hand and count as a goal, so Macguire's hand should be seen as playing him onside too.

If we have to use these lines, then I have no problem with feet being used and all other body parts being discounted. At least it would make the line drawing quicker and less contentious, but at the moment that isn't the rule.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 am
it's got to be up there with the worst VAR decisions I've ever seen in a game. they weren't even difficult - the only one they got right was the offside
I can only assume that VAR doesn't work at Stamford Bridge because it got a hell of a lot wrong when we played them.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:01 am
I'm just about ok with the offsides reviewed by VAR, all be it, some take a ridiculous time to come to a decision but the Maguire kick and the Fred push are just incompetence of the highest order. Decisions like that make you question the integrity of the ref's. That's not a VAR problem but just down to the clowns using it.
But if they used the offside law as it was written 30 years ago, it would be a lot quicker and would have the added benefit of meaning the same rules are in place in all football, instead of having different rules for VAR games as non-VAR games. They could look at the picture, confirm the player was level under the existing rule, and give the goal.

Of course, there is a school of thought (Gary Neville was in favour last night) of saying there should be fewer goals in football, and therefore this is a chance to reverse the decision of 30 years ago to allow "level" to be onside. That was designed to allow more goals; the new VAR offside rule is designed to cut the number of goals down.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:00 pm

"Hi Gordy. How long you been on here? I was Houseclaret on the telegraph shite. Couldn’t use it on here for some reason. Boss is on here too."

Just a few days mate. Still trying to find my way around.

Yes, Boss has already said hello.

How crazy was VAR last night? I think it needs to go and the fans can tell the PL by turning their backs on it.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:31 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 am
Hi Gordy. How long you been on here? I was Houseclaret on the telegraph shite. Couldn’t use it on here for some reason. Boss is on here too.
Getting the hang of things now House. So many threads though.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Still seething about Chris Wood's "goals".

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:31 pm
It's a big site no doubting that but it's okay when you get used to it. There's some argumentative buggers on here but at least we are all Clarets and generally it's okay. There are some pains but you will get to know who they are (some might even say I'm one) but at least there isn't a Rovers multi-named troll trying to ruin things, that I don't miss. You can choose your topic anyway. The good thing is you've come along just in time now that Brexit is pretty much done, there was a thread of around 500 pages on that bloody subject but I tried to steer clear of it.

Anyway welcome to the site, it's really great to speak with you again bud. I've even come accross a couple of old friends from donkey's years ago so that was nice.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:31 pm
You can create your own topic to GD :D

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Allegedly the match referee is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford although how he manages to attend many games I am not sure. Doesn’t sound right to me. I know I could not be unbiased if I was ref at a Burnley game

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 pm

gsyclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 pm
I am really fed up with this sh!te VAR
I Love it......I did say :D