Has a football game ever been called off for wind?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Has a football game ever been called off for wind?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Last night my lads U13s team were playing (booked artificial on Monday to avoid Dennis).

It was wet and windy, but they played against the wind first half but played well and went 5-1 in at half time. After a few minutes of the 2nd half the opposition coach conceded the game and the ref said he was abandoning the game as the wind was so strong the ball wouldn't come out of their half and made an unfair game.

I've never seen a game get called off that way before?

Even if the kids were glad to get out of it.

The game has to be replayed despite them conceding.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32240 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Has a football game ever been called off for wind?

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Seen one postponed and one abandoned.

Our home game against MK in 2003/04 was postponed because of high winds, decision made by the club safety officer.

Youth team home game against Accrington at Gawthorpe in 2012/13 was abandoned after about two minutes.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Our home game against MK in 2003/04 was postponed because of high winds, decision made by the club safety officer.

Youth team home game against Accrington at Gawthorpe in 2012/13 was abandoned after about two minutes.
I thought the "winded" off game was against Wimbledon Tony?. We had a corporate that day and bumped into their team at a service station on the way home. Warren Barton suggested we were scared of them and the game could have gone ahead in their view.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Up here in the coastal areas of the north east we have had several matches abandoned after making starts.
At Newbiggin-by-the-Sea there were two matches abandoned on adjacent pitches within 5 minutes of each other because of the strength of the wind. These were both adult games played in the Sunday morning league for which I was secretary. The keepers from the teams hitting into the wind were unable to kick the ball out of the penalty area ---wouldn't matter now --- and the ball was being blown back out of play which, technically should have resulted in a corner being given. The referees at both games decided that it would be futile to carry on and abandoned the games.

The same thing happened on a cliff top pitch further down the road at Seaton Sluice where the players could hardly stand up!
These are just some of the instances up here but there have been several more.

The circumstances you describe above would not have resulted in an abandonment unless it was deemed unsafe for the players to continue, that is a matter for the referee to decide but should not be decided because the ball would not come out of one half.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Didn’t we have a (cup) game against Liverpool called off for wind?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Wind has affected stand roofs adversely, leading to off/abandonment.

I remember an Easter Monday 0-0 at Hartlepool, when the keepers kicked it to the half way flag on one side and it just made the pitch, the other side.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:03 pm

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm
I thought the "winded" off game was against Wimbledon Tony?. We had a corporate that day and bumped into their team at a service station on the way home. Warren Barton suggested we were scared of them and the game could have gone ahead in their view.
2003/04 - we'd already played in MK earlier in the season and we beat them 2-0 when the game was re-arranged late in the season. They'd started the season though playing at Selhurst Park and I don't think they switched name until the following season.

I was at a press conference that afternoon and we heard the game had been called off while we were in there. We had to walk back around the pitch perimeter in front of the Longside & Jimmy Mac and you could hardly stand up. There had been some minor structural problems too. Decision nothing to do with us being scared of them.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Plenty of amateur games up at Trawden Rec have. If you've ever played or watched a game up there you'll know what I mean!
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Fenwick

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Blackpool away should have been called off a few years ago when we got promoted.............that open “stand” at the time, driving rain/gales etc..........nearly died of hypothermia!!!!!

But we won so that was ok!
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Wonder what the Lincoln fans thought of Stanley on Saturday. The game was played in absolutely dreadful conditions (amazing it was even on given Stanley's pitch). For those of you who have never been the away end is just some small terracing that is about as open to the elements as the deck of a ship in a pacific gale and the wind tends to blow in that direction, making it one of the most uncomfortable bits of terracing I have ever seen. The rain in Accrington at that time of day was bloody dreadful (I know I was out in it).

To make things worse for the visiting fans they lead 3 times and eventually lost 4-3 to a goal in the 95th minute. Sick or what? Can't imagine a much worse away day.

MrTopTier

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Swansea's under 23’s game tomorrow has been called off because of mumps.

MrTopTier

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Saw the pictures at Accrington and there were about ten kids behind the goal in the weather on Saturday. All the others were in the seats.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm

A lot of wind under them blankets in the Bob Lord stand!
This user liked this post: bfcjg

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

According to the records MK Dons weren't formed until the 2004 / 5 season, so presumably it was Wimbledon's last season before the "franchise"thing. The away game ( a 2-2 draw) was apparently played at the national Hockey Stadium MK, (not Selhurst Park), so as you said in a later post they must have moved to MK at some point in the season in anticipation of the "takeover".
The home game was played in a crucial week for the clarets, with goals from Graham Branch that night and on the following Saturday against Derby taking us clear of relegation. (The last 2 games were lost and we survived by 2 points.) That was the season that we conceded 77 goals!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm
According to the records MK Dons weren't formed until the 2004 / 5 season, so presumably it was Wimbledon's last season before the "franchise"thing. The away game ( a 2-2 draw) was apparently played at the national Hockey Stadium MK, (not Selhurst Park), so as you said in a later post they must have moved to MK at some point in the season in anticipation of the "takeover".
The home game was played in a crucial week for the clarets, with goals from Graham Branch that night and on the following Saturday against Derby taking us clear of relegation. (The last 2 games were lost and we survived by 2 points.) That was the season that we conceded 77 goals!
We were the first team to play them at the hockey stadium. It was after the franchising but they continued to call themselves Wimbledon, changing their name following relegation at the end of that season.

AFC Wimbledon, having lost their original club, were by then in their second season in the Combined Counties League and won it in their second season, 2003/04.

We got an own goal against them when it was played but Branch scored in both those games. We still weren't safe but results went our way (Walsall lost I think) when we were at Rotherham a week later. 77 goals, that was much improved on the previous season when we conceded 89.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Shappie
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by Shappie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Aldershot away 1991 must have been close to being called off. I think that’s the worst I can recall.

Steve Harper scored a beauty. Albeit very “wind assisted”

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Shappie wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm
Aldershot away 1991 must have been close to being called off. I think that’s the worst I can recall.

Steve Harper scored a beauty. Albeit very “wind assisted”
I think Graham Lancashire got the other and it would have been his last Burnley goal had it not been wiped from the records. The game was ultimately called off but some months later when they dropped out of the league.
This user liked this post: Shappie

Goody1975
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Bury (a) in the Sherpa Van Trophy, Feb 1988 was one that probably should've been.

The obvious highlight being the programme booth deciding to take a trip of it's own accord during the game.
This user liked this post: ecc

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 pm
Wonder what the Lincoln fans thought of Stanley on Saturday. The game was played in absolutely dreadful conditions (amazing it was even on given Stanley's pitch). For those of you who have never been the away end is just some small terracing that is about as open to the elements as the deck of a ship in a pacific gale and the wind tends to blow in that direction, making it one of the most uncomfortable bits of terracing I have ever seen. The rain in Accrington at that time of day was bloody dreadful (I know I was out in it).

To make things worse for the visiting fans they lead 3 times and eventually lost 4-3 to a goal in the 95th minute. Sick or what? Can't imagine a much worse away day.
Character building stuff😀
This user liked this post: houseboy

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm

I once played in a school match where the keeper took a goal kick and the ball went 50 yards back over his head. The P.E teacher was too stubborn to call it off though.

House boy, Stanley have a new pitch with new drains etc..

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Our home game against Bolton in 94 ended in controversy due to a Gayle.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm
Bury (a) in the Sherpa Van Trophy, Feb 1988 was one that probably should've been.

The obvious highlight being the programme booth deciding to take a trip of it's own accord during the game.
As a 15 year old claret living in Bury I had to go that game, must have mithered my dad until he gave in. Still remember the game for the shocking wind / weather, the programme booth and wondering if part of a stand roof would blow off. We scored with a Comstive (RIP) pen, probably the only way of scoring in those conditions. Think I can recall Pierce trying to take a free kick and the ball kept blowing away. Um bah bah um bah bah

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm
I once played in a school match where the keeper took a goal kick and the ball went 50 yards back over his head. The P.E teacher was too stubborn to call it off though.

House boy, Stanley have a new pitch with new drains etc..
I know but they have still had games off this season. It is a good deal better than it was though. In really bad weather they have been known to let the away fans into the Coppice stand for shelter but I don't know how many would be there from Lincoln but I am assuming probably quite a few as it's not that far away. And I'm not sure about access now with the new stand (really nice that by the way). I love going to the odd game at Stanley but sadly I've not made it this season. Lovely little club.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:48 am

I’m interested by this. Funnily enough I spoke to a ref two weeks ago who used to do the Sunday leagues. Every few years you’d get a weather event where the wind would make the game literally unplayable. You couldn’t call the game off on safety grounds as the pitches were often in exposed areas of parkland where no threat existed. He said they were advised to start the game and play for approximately three minutes before bringing an end to proceedings. By doing this, it would look like a fair attempt had been made to get the game played and the ref could claim his full match fee.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 am
I don't know how many would be there from Lincoln but I am assuming probably quite a few as it's not that far away.
I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I would regard Lincoln to Accrington in winter with a poor forecast to be an appalling journey.
120 miles over or around the Pennines by one route or another, (and no obvious direct route, (unlike e.g. Walsall - a similar distance).
In the past we had relatives living about 12 miles south of Lincoln, and we would be happy to do it in 2 hours 15 in good conditions, but it's a highly unpredictable journey, and we would generally reckon at least 2 and a half hours, and sometimes 3.
You'd have to be a a super keen supporter to travel from Lincoln to Accrington last weekend in light of the forecast Storm Dennis, and the likelihood of disruption or even abandonment or postponement. In fact you would be defying all advice from the weather / travel experts.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:04 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:48 am
I’m interested by this. Funnily enough I spoke to a ref two weeks ago who used to do the Sunday leagues. Every few years you’d get a weather event where the wind would make the game literally unplayable. You couldn’t call the game off on safety grounds as the pitches were often in exposed areas of parkland where no threat existed. He said they were advised to start the game and play for approximately three minutes before bringing an end to proceedings. By doing this, it would look like a fair attempt had been made to get the game played and the ref could claim his full match fee.
It was near your neck of the woods at Cottingly. Nice facility at Zara sports club but up on a hill and exposed to the elements.
As soon as you got back down the hill into Bingley it was fine.
He was only a young ref like you get for most junior games.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 am

houseboy wrote:
I know but they have still had games off this season. It is a good deal better than it was though.
I don't think they have had any games off this season.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am
I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I would regard Lincoln to Accrington in winter with a poor forecast to be an appalling journey.
120 miles over or around the Pennines by one route or another, (and no obvious direct route, (unlike e.g. Walsall - a similar distance).
In the past we had relatives living about 12 miles south of Lincoln, and we would be happy to do it in 2 hours 15 in good conditions, but it's a highly unpredictable journey, and we would generally reckon at least 2 and a half hours, and sometimes 3.
You'd have to be a a super keen supporter to travel from Lincoln to Accrington last weekend in light of the forecast Storm Dennis, and the likelihood of disruption or even abandonment or postponement. In fact you would be defying all advice from the weather / travel experts.
Given the weather context you are quite right sir. Even as I posted that I thought 'someone will argue that point'. I have made the journey quite often and don't coinsider it far but, as you say, under the conditions they may have stayed at home. The gate wasn't particularly high I see so you are probably quite right. :D

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 am
I don't think they have had any games off this season.
I think they have bud but if tied down to a fixture I couldn't tell you but I believe it was not that long ago.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:11 am

There's a few Boxing Day games that probably should have been called of, with those packed terraces the day after all those brussel sprouts. ;)

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am
I think they have bud but if tied down to a fixture I couldn't tell you but I believe it was not that long ago.
I think that the only game postponed this season was the scheduled match against Bury in August which was suspended by the League prior to Bury's demise.
Last season they had a game v Sunderland abandoned in December 2018 --the same day that we beat Brighton 1-0 at home.
They had two postponements on 2 February v Blackpool and 16 March v Rochdale. We had home games on both dates, drawing 1-1 with Southampton in February and getting beat 1-2 by Leicester in March.

Reminds me of the days when we would have had matches postponed with the amount of rain around and I would be 100 miles into my journey when I jeard on the radio, thankfully not the case these days.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Wasn't there a match postponed Stoke?, at the Turf just after Coyle left due to high winds?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 am
I think that the only game postponed this season was the scheduled match against Bury in August which was suspended by the League prior to Bury's demise.
Last season they had a game v Sunderland abandoned in December 2018 --the same day that we beat Brighton 1-0 at home.
They had two postponements on 2 February v Blackpool and 16 March v Rochdale. We had home games on both dates, drawing 1-1 with Southampton in February and getting beat 1-2 by Leicester in March.

Reminds me of the days when we would have had matches postponed with the amount of rain around and I would be 100 miles into my journey when I jeard on the radio, thankfully not the case these days.
I know of the Bury one. Maybe I was thinking about the two you mentioned. :D

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 pm

houseboy wrote:

The pitch is fine. Even on Saturday, there was no standing water and next to no mud. The away fans were all given the option of moving into the new stand, though a few decided that they had come to stand on the terraces and by golly they were going to stand on the terraces! (At my age, I think they're mad. At their age, I might have done the same.)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 pm
The pitch is fine. Even on Saturday, there was no standing water and next to no mud. The away fans were all given the option of moving into the new stand, though a few decided that they had come to stand on the terraces and by golly they were going to stand on the terraces! (At my age, I think they're mad. At their age, I might have done the same.)
I'm pleased they gave them the opportunity to move though, they have done that before at Stanley, very friendly club. Glad the pitch is holding up now, especially on Saturday, they must have done a great job on it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Didn’t one of the programme booths get blown right across the pitch at half time?

I was stewarding a Supporters Club coach that night and we received a warning from the police not to use the motorway.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 602 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:24 pm

Only one I heard of was in Spain it was due to El Gassias.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

The day Burnley's game was called off, Colne played Sudbury in the FA Vase semi-final at Holt House. That was breezy, with the wind blowing downhill. One of the goalkeepers caught his own goal kick after it had left the area and come back again; but the ref showed common sense and let him retake it.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm

houseboy wrote:

Funnily enough, I was talking a couple of nights ago to a Lincoln fan who was there.

The good news is that safety concerns made them shut that open terrace and relocate the hardy band of travelling supporters. The bad news was that they were situated (I assume) on the east side of the ground, or at any rate on the side which had he rain blowing exactly into their faces, rendering the presence of a roof on that side completely irrelevant. The worse news for my friend is that his companion on the day wears quite strong glasses, which were made completely useless by the weather, so from about the twentieth minute he had to take them off and as a result couldn't see the action beyond outside the quarter of the pitch closest to them.

Fortunately, they live in the north west so their journey wasn't too long...but still.
This user liked this post: houseboy

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:40 pm

There was a post on here recently asking about lowest attendances on that I posted about my visit to Arbroath v Montrose junior cup game the game was abandoned because of the wind. It was funny several expensive footballs had been lost in the sea then Montrose got a penalty the ball wouldn't stay on the spot so the ref allowed a Montrose player to lie down and keep his finger on the ball but he had to release it before it was kicked, this didn't work either and they called it a day early pint and a smokie.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm

claretspice wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm
Funnily enough, I was talking a couple of nights ago to a Lincoln fan who was there.

The good news is that safety concerns made them shut that open terrace and relocate the hardy band of travelling supporters. The bad news was that they were situated (I assume) on the east side of the ground, or at any rate on the side which had he rain blowing exactly into their faces, rendering the presence of a roof on that side completely irrelevant. The worse news for my friend is that his companion on the day wears quite strong glasses, which were made completely useless by the weather, so from about the twentieth minute he had to take them off and as a result couldn't see the action beyond outside the quarter of the pitch closest to them.

Fortunately, they don't live in the north west so their journey wasn't too long...but still.
Stanley are excellent at looking after away fans, I have read comments from visiting fans and they say lots of good things. I don't know what it's like in the new stand as I haven't been on since it opened (I certainly will when I go again as it looks pretty good) but the opposite stand on the Whalley Road side doesn't offer much roof cover when the weather is bad, the front 3-4 rows are pretty wet if the rain is coming in the right (wrong) direction. I thought that they re-directed away fans to the new stand in bad weather though.

Bad news about the gent with the glasses though, I had bad vision prior to my cataract op (perfect now) so I sympathise.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:07 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm
Stanley are excellent at looking after away fans, I have read comments from visiting fans and they say lots of good things. I don't know what it's like in the new stand as I haven't been on since it opened (I certainly will when I go again as it looks pretty good) but the opposite stand on the Whalley Road side doesn't offer much roof cover when the weather is bad, the front 3-4 rows are pretty wet if the rain is coming in the right (wrong) direction. I thought that they re-directed away fans to the new stand in bad weather though.

Bad news about the gent with the glasses though, I had bad vision prior to my cataract op (perfect now) so I sympathise.
Away fans qualify for the "pound a pint" in the bar after a Stanley win, as well.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:10 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:07 pm
Away fans qualify for the "pound a pint" in the bar after a Stanley win, as well.
They have free live music as pre-match entertainment in the Crown as well. Terrific club, they have the community at heart and do really good stuff to try to encourage younger support (always been difficult being sandwiched between us and you-know-who). Two of my grandkids have had free shirts after going to open days from school (another grandkid got his from Burnley at about £40). If I wasn't a lifelong Claret I'd be at Stanley every match.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm

I seem to recall a stand roof at Plainmoor ending up on the pitch, thankfully whilst the ground was empty.

Willy
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Willy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm

There was a night match at Edgeley Park once where the wind was making the taking of goal kicks a lottery.I think we won 2-0 and that it might have been in the Sherpa Van/Autoglass/Freight Rover Trophy.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Willy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm
There was a night match at Edgeley Park once where the wind was making the taking of goal kicks a lottery.I think we won 2-0 and that it might have been in the Sherpa Van/Autoglass/Freight Rover Trophy.
I remember the game, though I think it was 1-1. David Williams was in our nets and his long kicks couldn't reach the half way line, often by a big margin. Andy Kilner (I think) played for Stockport and was taking a shot from every corner. He would swerve the ball outside the edge of the penalty area and watch it curve back at high speed towards the goal.

After the game, it seemed that half the ticket office had collapsed into the road. If the game had been abandoned, some o fus might have been under it! :shock:

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:52 am

houseboy wrote:
I know but they have still had games off this season. It is a good deal better than it was though. In really bad weather they have been known to let the away fans into the Coppice stand for shelter but I don't know how many would be there from Lincoln but I am assuming probably quite a few as it's not that far away. And I'm not sure about access now with the new stand (really nice that by the way). I love going to the odd game at Stanley but sadly I've not made it this season. Lovely little club.
The Stanley pitch this morning for you.
https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 42339?s=09

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:52 am
The Stanley pitch this morning for you.
https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 42339?s=09
Their pitch is really good now, compared to what it used to be like.
After yesterday's downpours, the old pitch would currently look like the Somme.

Well done to them.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:29 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am
Their pitch is really good now, compared to what it used to be like.
After yesterday's downpours, the old pitch would currently look like the Somme.

Well done to them.
Yeah, they got a new pitch a couple of years ago but didn't do much with the drains for 100k. This time for 300k they put all new drains in and it works a treat.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:59 am

What about objects blown onto the roof? :shock: