any one had any ghostly experiences ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: any one had any ghostly experiences ?

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:34 pm
If anybody is in touch with one of these 'Specters' and it is invisible but able to be communicated with can you persuade IT to help us out at the next game at the Etihad. 'Ghost' in at the far post and knock one in.
Imploding Turtle?
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 pm
You know your brain basically makes up /imagines most of what you “see” anyway, right?

https://www3.scienceblog.com/community/ ... 03073.html

“"In my view, imagery plays a key role in many sorts of false memories," says Kosslyn. "One is 'filling in' the gaps and later remembering not only what was attended to, but also what was filled in." In retrospect, he says, we don't make any distinction between the two types of information. For all our experience of a rich visual world, it seems that we take in no more than a handful of facts about the world, throw in a few stored images and beliefs, and produce a convincing whole in which it is impossible to tell what was real and what imagined. As Blackmore puts it: "There is a world and a brain in it, which together are building a construction, a story, a great confabulation."”
[/quote, your brain

Of course. When you cross the road in front of a car, your brain doesn't 'imagine' there's a road and car there does it

Belial

Post by Belial » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 pm
Prove it
Prove what exactly....
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm

I haven't had any, however a couple of brickies I have known for years both witnessed the same strange incident whilst waiting in their van for their labourer, an elderly woman sat on a wall and it was hammering down so one of them got out to see if she was ok as he approached her she just looked at him and vanished. Two middle aged guys very sensible etc and they were and are adamant. Was it a reflection from a window forming on the misty rain? Who knows but until I see something myself I am still in the sceptic camp.

bfcmartin
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 220 times

Post by bfcmartin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:54 pm

I had to read that end bit twice I thought said you were in the septic tank :lol:

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm
I haven't had any, however a couple of brickies I have known for years both witnessed the same strange incident whilst waiting in their van for their labourer, an elderly woman sat on a wall and it was hammering down so one of them got out to see if she was ok as he approached her she just looked at him and vanished. Two middle aged guys very sensible etc and they were and are adamant. Was it a reflection from a window forming on the misty rain? Who knows but until I see something myself I am still in the sceptic camp.
This never happened. They were lying.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 pm

If you say so .
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank randomclaret2

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm
This is quite similar to my experience mentioned earlier in the thread.
I was working on a machine in a factory when a man came into the factory and was making his way towards me, I looked up to him and said "hang on, I will be with you in a minute". 30 seconds later he disappeared.
I know 100percent what I saw. I don't actually believe in ghosts and put this down to light refraction, over active mind - whatever.
The thing that I can't explain is the fact that 5 other people saw the same figure on 5 seperate occasions and not one of the 5 people had ever discussed their sighting with the others. In one particular instance, a female, came running over to me in a state of panic with all the hairs on her arms and head standing on end, before she said anything, I asked if see had seen the ghost. She looked amazed and said yes, then went on to describe exactly the same figure that all the others had seen.
She refused to work on the machine that she had been working on in case he came back.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Belial wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 pm
Did you not read the link, or did you read it and not understand it?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 pm
This is quite similar to my experience mentioned earlier in the thread.
I was working on a machine in a factory when a man came into the factory and was making his way towards me, I looked up to him and said "hang on, I will be with you in a minute". 30 seconds later he disappeared.
I know 100percent what I saw. I don't actually believe in ghosts and put this down to light refraction, over active mind - whatever.
The thing that I can't explain is the fact that 5 other people saw the same figure on 5 seperate occasions and not one of the 5 people had ever discussed their sighting with the others. In one particular instance, a female, came running over to me in a state of panic with all the hairs on her arms and head standing on end, before she said anything, I asked if see had seen the ghost. She looked amazed and said yes, then went on to describe exactly the same figure that all the others had seen.
She refused to work on the machine that she had been working on in case he came back.
Think of how far you can walk in 30 seconds.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Think of how far you can walk in 30 seconds.
Am I missing something here?

Perhaps they did all see the same thing... a person.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:57 pm

My Uncle told me this story of being at Blackburn train station in the late 70's or early 80's and said there was a man mopping up on the platform, my Uncle asked him how long the train would be and the man said "should be here anytime mate" then my Uncle turned away for "a second" and the man had disappeared.

It's absolute ******** of course, you remember things differently or you misjudge the time you spent staring away, but, he believes he saw a ghost.

It's the same as that bloke who told the story of seeing all those Roman guards walking through a tunnel, it's ********. It's all ********. It's just people remembering incorrectly.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm

I'm generally sceptical, but I was fly-fishing at Bolton Abbey and had a conversation with someone on the bank behind me. It really isn't unusual for me not to look back when I'm fishing. It struck me as the guy said his goodbyes he had a very idiosyncratic manner of speaking.

Less than thirty seconds later I had cause to retrieve my line and I looked back. Despite having a clear view of about 200 metres or possibly more, in all directions, there was no sign of anyone.

Edit - just measured it on google maps, the nearest cover was the Abbey itself, more than 350 metres away.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 pm

That would have been JR Hartley Doug :D

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 pm
That would have been JR Hartley Doug :D
I do have his book. I should have got him to autograph it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 am
Ok I take back what I said.

They are definitely real. You cannot in any way, shape or form suggest to me now that they don't exist after what I've just experienced.

:lol:

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm
I'm generally sceptical, but I was fly-fishing at Bolton Abbey and had a conversation with someone on the bank behind me. It really isn't unusual for me not to look back when I'm fishing. It struck me as the guy said his goodbyes he had a very idiosyncratic manner of speaking.

Less than thirty seconds later I had cause to retrieve my line and I looked back. Despite having a clear view of about 200 metres or possibly more, in all directions, there was no sign of anyone.

Edit - just measured it on google maps, the nearest cover was the Abbey itself, more than 350 metres away.
It wouldn't surprise me with the river wharfe, the strid upstream as caused fatalities before, thinking about any haunted rivers the wharfe isn't far away in the reckoning.

Belial

Post by Belial » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 pm
Did you not read the link, or did you read it and not understand it?
No I didn't read it, and don't need to

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Belial wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Best policy, stick with what you know & not what someone else wants or thinks you should know.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Belial wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Best policy - try to never learn anything new and wallow in your own ignorance instead, like Jakub.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 pm
It wouldn't surprise me with the river wharfe, the strid upstream as caused fatalities before, thinking about any haunted rivers the wharfe isn't far away in the reckoning.
So surely it's more likely that the person talking to dougcollins actually fell into the river and drowned hence him not being there 30 seconds later?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 pm
So surely it's more likely that the person talking to dougcollins actually fell into the river and drowned hence him not being there 30 seconds later?
I actually googled Bolton abbey after reading Doug's tale & it emerged that particular area the abbey & the river are steeped in history regarding hauntings & incidents of that nature, so on that basis it's no surprise. Within 30 seconds you can't cover was it 350 metres he said to the nearest blindspot.
https://m.ranker.com/list/facts-about-b ... an-sherman

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:15 pm
I actually googled Bolton abbey after reading Doug's tale & it emerged that particular area the abbey & the river are steeped in history regarding hauntings & incidents of that nature, so on that basis it's no surprise. Within 30 seconds you can't cover was it 350 metres he said to the nearest blindspot.
Firstly, we don't know that the time lapsed was 30 seconds, unless he timed it.

Secondly, its infinitely more likely that the person actually fell into the river and died after speaking to dougcollins, as you've posted how common that is, than the person was already dead. Like I said, there's always a more rational explanation.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:25 pm
Firstly, we don't know that the time lapsed was 30 seconds, unless he timed it.

Secondly, its infinitely more likely that the person actually fell into the river and died after speaking to dougcollins, as you've posted how common that is, than the person was already dead. Like I said, there's always a more rational explanation.
He wouldn't be flyfishing on the strid so the person wouldn't be anywhere near the strid to fall in & drown so that theory is dead in the water pardon the pun. You can't flyfish the strid.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:15 pm
The rational explanation is that the guy was Usain Bolt.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:33 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:30 pm
The rational explanation is that the guy was Usain Bolt.
I thought about that as well, even Usain bolt would struggle, with believing doug reinforced with the history of the area it's more likely yet another unexplained incident.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:30 pm
He wouldn't be flyfishing on the strid so the person wouldn't be anywhere near the strid to fall in & drown so that theory is dead in the water pardon the pun. You can't flyfish the strid.
Is it more possible to flyfish the strid or talk after you've died?

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm

Some alternative explanations off the top of my head:

- It was longer than 30 seconds, but felt like less
- There wasn’t anyone there and was just an over-active imagination after spending a long time in silence
- The person was obscured from view (beyond a small ridge, led down wearing green clothing, fell down an unseen hole)
- He fell in the river
- None of it ever happened and he made it up

Literally any of these is more plausible than ‘it was a ghost’

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:48 pm

A friend of mine used to work in a printing firm (they did Blackburns matchday programme and a couple of other clubs) in Accy. Obviously, there were deadlines associated with the work, leading to working late long after every one else had gone home. Now, granted its and old slightly decrepit stone built mill with badly fitting old windows with drafts aplenty. However, he dreaded working late as the noises and banging ( that never seemed to happen when the place was busy ) really got to him.

I did a bit of work there and this , and more, emerged after I'd heard some body behind me, walk by and open and close a door on a stair well that was associated with unexplained sightings and noises. I just happened to mention it to a cleaner that I was expecting whoever it was, to return by me, as the floor theyd entered was the top floor and theyd have to pass me to get to ground level. Inquisitivity got the better of me and I opened the door to the top floor which was basically a big open floor used as a bit of a store room with random items just dumped. There was definitely nobody there.

The cleaner, and subsequently, my mate, who's not a b***itter by any stretch, told me as though it was common knowledge that the mill, but particularly the stair well , had had a lot of "unexplained" activity.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm
Is it more possible to flyfish the strid or talk after you've died?
In normal circumstances I'd say neither, but being faced with a plausible anglers account reinforced with a large degree of history surrounding the area renown for it, what gives? I know well I think I know the beat Doug was fishing it's a grayling long run, maybe Doug will confirm the exact spot.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Well, at least for some on here, it's like the Age of Enlightenment never happened.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm

No.

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm
Some alternative explanations off the top of my head:

- It was longer than 30 seconds, but felt like less
- There wasn’t anyone there and was just an over-active imagination after spending a long time in silence
- The person was obscured from view (beyond a small ridge, led down wearing green clothing, fell down an unseen hole)
- He fell in the river
- None of it ever happened and he made it up

Literally any of these is more plausible than ‘it was a ghost’

I never said it was a ghost, I just related the facts of what happened. And I was nowhere near the strid, as I said I was 350 metres from the Abbey.

Anyone who flyfishes knows how long you have your line in the water - not long, probably never longer than a minute. The gentleman would have been very unlucky to fall in and drown, the river was low and it was a perfect summer morning at 6.00 am. In any case, I was stood in the river and he was directly behind me.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 pm
I never said it was a ghost, I just related the facts of what happened. And I was nowhere near the strid, as I said I was 350 metres from the Abbey.

Anyone who flyfishes knows how long you have your line in the water - not long, probably never longer than a minute. The gentleman would have been very unlucky to fall in and drown, the river was low and it was a perfect summer morning at 6.00 am. In any case, I was stood in the river and he was directly behind me.
I understand fishing as a fellow angler & i believe your account, carrying out research into the area it's possible it could have been though as daft as that sounds as a explanation, you say the river was low (usually are in summer) & I think had somebody drowned nearby you would have heard about it.

Belial

Post by Belial » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:36 am

Greenmile wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 pm
Best policy - try to never learn anything new and wallow in your own ignorance instead, like Jakub.
Ironic post of the week. Well done you

Belial

Post by Belial » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Best policy, stick with what you know & not what someone else wants or thinks you should know.
The difference is, I'm quite willing to learn things I don't know, yet others form opinions then state facts based on things they don't know
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 am

Belial wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am
The difference is, I'm quite willing to learn things I don't know, yet others form opinions then state facts based on things they don't know
True, the other poster implied you wasn’t, people (some) don’t research properly, I think you need to be interested to start with to learn properly to soak it up.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:52 am

Belial wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:36 am
Ironic post of the week. Well done you
I love irony :D
This user liked this post: Belial

Coeus
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Coeus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm

My Nan was washing pots in the scullery whilst looking out the window into the yard. The back gate opened and in walked Tommy in full uniform smiling and waving. “Tommy, you’ve been away too long, you live next door” she shouted. They both laughed and Tommy went back through the gate.
Nan dried her hands and went out the front to go next door as she knew his mum would be thrilled to see him again. The door was open as was the norm back in the day and Nan went in shouting of Edna. Edna was sat in her chair crying and holding a telegram. Tommy was killed a few days earlier.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 pm

One from the Craven Herald reviewing a book called Haunted Yorkshire by Nick Tyler. It's great until the last chapter 🤔

The B6478 between Wigglesworth and Tosside - Becks Brow - has been the unfortunate location of fatalities across the years, he says, but it might not just be a combination of speed and driving conditions, but the appearance of a ‘white lady’. It is said, he has discovered, that the full-bodied apparition materialises along the stretch of road, particularly on dark and damp nights.

The ‘white lady’, he says, is believed to be the lost soul of a 21 year old woman who was tragically killed in a car accident on the stretch of road in the late 1970s, along with her boyfriend. Those who have seen her say she appears walking on the side of the road, or standing still on the grass verge, looking around, apparently for her boyfriend.

In his search for people who had seen the ‘white lady’, Mr Tyler came across Michael Bell, not his real name, who was on his way home to Tosside when he claims to have seen the apparition. It was a dark and wet night, and he pulled over and offered the woman a lift, but she had vanished. He carried on, and saw her again, this time, sprinting at the side of the road, before shooting out into the road and in front of his car. Michael careered off the road and into a tree, suffering a broken leg and severe bruising.

Mr Tyler compares Michael’s account to like ‘something straight out of a horror movie’ and if true, ‘the most violent account’ he had encountered, given the injuries he sustained. ‘Michael’ was found to be nearly four times the drink drive limit, but was convinced of what he saw.
👻👻👻

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 am

Coeus wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm
My Nan was washing pots in the scullery whilst looking out the window into the yard. The back gate opened and in walked Tommy in full uniform smiling and waving. “Tommy, you’ve been away too long, you live next door” she shouted. They both laughed and Tommy went back through the gate.
Nan dried her hands and went out the front to go next door as she knew his mum would be thrilled to see him again. The door was open as was the norm back in the day and Nan went in shouting of Edna. Edna was sat in her chair crying and holding a telegram. Tommy was killed a few days earlier.
:lol: