View from our Head of European & International recruitment

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Re: View from our Head of European & International recruitment

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:58 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am
Criticism of imperfections is fair comment. But to use terms like "mediocre", as if we are about on a par with other clubs of similar sizes, is nonsense.
But who has been saying anything about comparing clubs of similar sizes? Not me.

I was simply stating other clubs recruitment has been better than ours. Yes there have been worse. Our place in the league table is almost bang on middle hence mediocre. We are mediocre in the premier league. I'm content with where we are, but like any fan want to see us do better.

Our recruitment has been poor, it's all relative and I know we don't have the cash like some clubs have but we haven't signed players that have slotted in and improved our first 11 in the last couple of years and to me that is poor. If a club has more money chances are they have to spend more to replace better players anyway, so again. Relative.

It's pointless to keep saying teams like Leicester can't be compared to us with recruitment. There are teams who have spent more and have poorer recruitment than we do like Arsenal and Everton. But there are teams that have done a lot better too.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 pm
Against our opposition we are mediocre.
I don't know you so please don't take this comment personally as it isn't meant to offend......you seem to have lost perspective of who Burnley are and the size of the club. We are extraordinarily lucky to be in the PL, we are a mid to low end Championship club at best in terms of support - a few weeks ago we won at Man Utd, I grew up watching them win Champions leagues and us losing at home to the likes of Aldershot. A big game was a play off semi final against Torquay !

I'll take mediocrity in the PL over mediocrity in League 2 any day of the week.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:28 pm
I love that we are punching above our weight, but I believe with better recruitment we could do even better again. We already showed we could finish 7th. If we would have good instead of poor recruitment since then we would be capable of doing better than we are now.
You do realise that so far we have had more wins, scored more goals and, if we beat Bournemouth, will have more points at this stage of the season than any other season in our PL history. So maybe we don't need to improve our starting eleven just yet, we just need players like JRod, Pieters and, yes, even Vydra, who can come in when needed and keep the momentum going.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:44 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 am
I don't know you so please don't take this comment personally as it isn't meant to offend......you seem to have lost perspective of who Burnley are and the size of the club. We are extraordinarily lucky to be in the PL, we are a mid to low end Championship club at best in terms of support - a few weeks ago we won at Man Utd, I grew up watching them win Champions leagues and us losing at home to the likes of Aldershot. A big game was a play off semi final against Torquay !

I'll take mediocrity in the PL over mediocrity in League 2 any day of the week.
No I haven't lost perspective. I want us to better and I believe we could do better if our recruitment was better. If we signed players better than we field now, players with more potential even, then we'd be over achieving even more.

I think we have a great manager who has been let down by poor recruitment recently. I'm sure we are trying to address it otherwise there wouldn't be changes with job roles or Rigg coming in.

I think all the bad signs are there to read in this interview, as others have pointed out in this thread.

I think it's about time we consider ourselves a good premier league team and move on from the old times. It's always good to never forget where you've come from but to use it as a reason for us to be content and to not to improve would be wrong. We aren't always the underdogs in games now and teams respect us a lot more than they used to. Football is no longer a battle of the big city teams like it was in the past and there's teams in the league now with lower wage bills than us. TV money this season will be a record high and the fact we support a team from a small town has little relevance like it once did. When we play each game we have the chance to win and take the game to good teams. Having the attitude of little old Burnley isn't going to help us achieve better things.

We have the opportunity the same as everyone else to increase our wage bill by 5% each year (ffp rule apart from newly promoted clubs) much the same as every team, even the very big teams. We have the same chance to make our own decisions, our own mistakes and our own fortunes when signing players.

Expensive mistakes like Gibson, who relatively costs us more of our transfer and wage budget than some of the poorest signings in the league would be no different to the likes of Manchester United's next 50 million headline flop.

I may be bold and upset people (and Vegas, this is by no means directed at you) but I also think our recruitment has lowered our chances of making further signings just because the next target is less likely to sign for us knowing they'll have to stay on the bench for a couple of seasons before they get a good chance.
Grimsdale wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 am

You do realise that so far we have had more wins, scored more goals and, if we beat Bournemouth, will have more points at this stage of the season than any other season in our PL history. So maybe we don't need to improve our starting eleven just yet, we just need players like JRod, Pieters and, yes, even Vydra, who can come in when needed and keep the momentum going.
Maybe we don't, but you can't tell me that we haven't tried to sign (and failed to) players over the past couple of seasons. It was blatantly obvious we tried and failed to improve our first 11. You may think that has worked in our favor but would you be thinking the same way if we did have better recruitment and would you feel the same way if we were further threatened with relegation? I didn't jump to any conclusions but you only had to read on here after the Everton game how doomed we were and how many believed we were in for the drop.

I want to see us bring in better players. We all know what Dyche can turn your average player into so imagine that it we start to recruit players with the potential to be better than who we currently have!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:44 am
No I haven't lost perspective. I want us to better and I believe we could do better if our recruitment was better. If we signed players better than we field now, players with more potential even, then we'd be over achieving even more.

I think we have a great manager who has been let down by poor recruitment recently. I'm sure we are trying to address it otherwise there wouldn't be changes with job roles or Rigg coming in.

I think all the bad signs are there to read in this interview, as others have pointed out in this thread.

I think it's about time we consider ourselves a good premier league team and move on from the old times. It's always good to never forget where you've come from but to use it as a reason for us to be content and to not to improve would be wrong. We aren't always the underdogs in games now and teams respect us a lot more than they used to. Football is no longer a battle of the big city teams like it was in the past and there's teams in the league now with lower wage bills than us. TV money this season will be a record high and the fact we support a team from a small town has little relevance like it once did. When we play each game we have the chance to win and take the game to good teams. Having the attitude of little old Burnley isn't going to help us achieve better things.

We have the opportunity the same as everyone else to increase our wage bill by 5% each year (ffp rule apart from newly promoted clubs) much the same as every team, even the very big teams. We have the same chance to make our own decisions, our own mistakes and our own fortunes when signing players.

Expensive mistakes like Gibson, who relatively costs us more of our transfer and wage budget than some of the poorest signings in the league would be no different to the likes of Manchester United's next 50 million headline flop.

I may be bold and upset people (and Vegas, this is by no means directed at you) but I also think our recruitment has lowered our chances of making further signings just because the next target is less likely to sign for us knowing they'll have to stay on the bench for a couple of seasons before they get a good chance.

Maybe we don't, but you can't tell me that we haven't tried to sign (and failed to) players over the past couple of seasons. It was blatantly obvious we tried and failed to improve our first 11. You may think that has worked in our favor but would you be thinking the same way if we did have better recruitment and would you feel the same way if we were further threatened with relegation? I didn't jump to any conclusions but you only had to read on here after the Everton game how doomed we were and how many believed we were in for the drop.

I want to see us bring in better players. We all know what Dyche can turn your average player into so imagine that it we start to recruit players with the potential to be better than who we currently have!
Life must be so much easier on football manager. Every club at some stage misses out on a target.

You use daft words like poor and mediocre, yet as we approach March only Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea and Spurs have won more games than us ( in other words the current top 5 in England) not bad for a club labelled with poor and mediocre. You then say our targets won't sign for us ignoring our target in January signed for us. Probably best to stop digging your hole is way too deep already.

Think it is time you just tried a little to grasp reality, maybe even take in a game live and enjoy the moment.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:58 am
It's pointless to keep saying teams like Leicester can't be compared to us with recruitment. There are teams who have spent more and have poorer recruitment than we do like Arsenal and Everton. But there are teams that have done a lot better too.
Except that you keep saying we are mediocre in Premier League terms, which means you are comparing us with teams like Leicester, Arsenal and everton.

Anyway, that's by the by. Who do you have in mind for the teams who have recruited a lot better than us?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 am
Think it is time you just tried a little to grasp reality
Unfortunately, a few years in the Premier League has taken reality away from some and raised their expectations to a level that makes it impossible for us to reach it.

Recruitment is one of the most important things at any football club and for a club like ours to be just one or two wins away from securing a fifth successive season in the Premier League shows our recruitment has been virtually as good as we could have hoped or expected. It is true that players who have come in during the last 18 months or so haven't, generally, got into the team but that doesn't mean bad recruitment. Using the Gibson signing as an example. His signing strengthened the squad, he might have even got in the team during the first half of the 2018/19 season but for his two bouts of surgery, but when fit his availability definitely strengthened the squad and continued to do so until he threw his toys out of the pram.

Vydra came in during the same window. I don't think anyone would argue that he shouldn't be fourth choice striker but he is there strengthening the squad and he could get his first home start tomorrow since Bournemouth at home last season.

Of course we would all like to see us sign players that go straight into the team which then makes us even stronger, but this is where the expectation level is way too high from some. For a club our size, we can put out a very strong team and it will always be difficult to improve on that. We signed Erik Pieters in the summer, another example presumably of poor recruitment given he doesn't start now. I wonder just what we could have done to sign a left-back that would have been an automatic starter ahead of Charlie Taylor.

There have been disappointments in the recent windows, that I accept, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could even consider our recruitment poor. I'll always insist that if it had been poor then we wouldn't be playing Premier League football, we'd be back at the level that the size of our club suggests we should be.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:14 pm
I thought this was a fairly reasonable post until "mid table/survival mediocrity"

If you genuinely believe that Burnley being a mid table Premier league team represents "mid table/survival mediocrity" then I'm sorry, you have no idea.
Apart from 6 or 7 clubs the premier league is quite ordinary to be honest so no reason with good recruitment and Dyche getting the players performing and a bit of luck we can stop at the top table for years - bored of this little burnley punching above its weight

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 am
bored of this little burnley punching above its weight
You'd prefer us not to be then and playing in the Championship? That's where we would be if we weren't.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am
Unfortunately, a few years in the Premier League has taken reality away from some and raised their expectations to a level that makes it impossible for us to reach it.

Recruitment is one of the most important things at any football club and for a club like ours to be just one or two wins away from securing a fifth successive season in the Premier League shows our recruitment has been virtually as good as we could have hoped or expected. It is true that players who have come in during the last 18 months or so haven't, generally, got into the team but that doesn't mean bad recruitment. Using the Gibson signing as an example. His signing strengthened the squad, he might have even got in the team during the first half of the 2018/19 season but for his two bouts of surgery, but when fit his availability definitely strengthened the squad and continued to do so until he threw his toys out of the pram.

Vydra came in during the same window. I don't think anyone would argue that he shouldn't be fourth choice striker but he is there strengthening the squad and he could get his first home start tomorrow since Bournemouth at home last season.

Of course we would all like to see us sign players that go straight into the team which then makes us even stronger, but this is where the expectation level is way too high from some. For a club our size, we can put out a very strong team and it will always be difficult to improve on that. We signed Erik Pieters in the summer, another example presumably of poor recruitment given he doesn't start now. I wonder just what we could have done to sign a left-back that would have been an automatic starter ahead of Charlie Taylor.

There have been disappointments in the recent windows, that I accept, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could even consider our recruitment poor. I'll always insist that if it had been poor then we wouldn't be playing Premier League football, we'd be back at the level that the size of our club suggests we should be.

You are so wrong on many levels as expectations are not too high at all - going back to the main report it is going to come to a window where we will need 4 or 5 players in at once and we all know how that will pan out as will take a season for players to gel and will cause a problem season.
No one is guaranteed to stay in this league but apart from 6 teams the rest are the same as us ordinary and can win 3 on the bounce but then go on to lose 4 on the bounce.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:00 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 am
You'd prefer us not to be then and playing in the Championship? That's where we would be if we weren't.
How did we manage it in the 60's - were we punching above our weight then ?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:00 am
The tv deal was slightly different in the 60s along with the wages players received and the wealth of owners

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:04 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am
You are so wrong on many levels as expectations are not too high at all
You are so wrong on many levels if you think that expectations are not too high - there has to be some realism

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:04 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Yes, obviously. Burnley is the smallest town to have a first division club for more than the odd season. Glossop managed a year in the 1890's, and Accrington and Darwen similarly, but if you look at the last 100 years, possibly the only smaller place to have a division 1 team is Carlisle. And they didn't have fifty-odd seasons.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:04 am
Yes, obviously. Burnley is the smallest town to have a first division club for more than the odd season. Glossop managed a year in the 1890's, and Accrington and Darwen similarly, but if you look at the last 100 years, possibly the only smaller place to have a division 1 team is Carlisle. And they didn't have fifty-odd seasons.
Smallest ever in the PL aren't we?

It's funny, the club comes out and tells it like it is and some people just can't accept it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Maximum wage
Clubs getting a percentage of away attendances
No TV money
No merit money
No huge money from European competition
No huge sponsorship deals
and plenty more things

We were probably punching slightly above our weight in winning the title but this was at a time when Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley and Preston (to 1961) made up five of the 22 teams in the top flight. It was never a level playing field but it was a totally different world to the one we are trying to compete in now.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am

ClaretTony wrote:
You are so wrong on many levels if you think that expectations are not too high - there has to be some realism
I do have realism but apart from the big boys in this league on our day can beat all the rest - not that good a league and certainly not the best in europe

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am

dsr wrote:
Whats size of a town got to do whats put on a pitch - never did get that and will never do

If you get it right on the pitch you are ok.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 am
The tv deal was slightly different in the 60s along with the wages players received and the wealth of owners
[/quot

So how come the cherries are struggling and could go down - is it because of their owner ?

Or is it because they have been **** poor all season - or is it because of a few injuries ?

I go with being **** poor on the pitch

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
I do have realism but apart from the big boys in this league on our day can beat all the rest - not that good a league and certainly not the best in europe
We can, and have shown, we can even beat the big boys. But that's not realism. We can beat anyone on our day but the size of our club means we are always going to be a very small club in what is a very good league.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am
Whats size of a town got to do whats put on a pitch - never did get that and will never do

If you get it right on the pitch you are ok.
Size of town = money. Why did Man United go from strength to strength while Nelson are in the North West Counties, if size of town is irrelevant?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
If the league isn't that strong why don't the three promoted clubs survive with ease each time they get promoted and simply replace three clubs already in the Prem?

One club may do OK - Wolves, Sheff Utd in recent seasons, but generally other promoted clubs will struggle as the gap between the Prem and the Championship is a large one.

As for the rest of Europe, I doubt any other league can be considered stronger when you take away the top 2-3 clubs in those particular countries.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 am

Like i said if you put together a TEAM with spirit and play as a team then we will be fine in this league but also recruitment goes a long way to sort that TEAM out.

Dyche to his credit has got that TEAM mentality correct.

Outside 6 or 7 teams league is quite ordinary and also the same to all the other top leagues in europe after you take the big boys out of each league.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:21 pm

A lot of hot air on here and recruitment is made to sound so straight forward. No consideration has been to players actually wanting to join burnley.

It's ok saying that the club should have signed billing Mooy Bowen etc but does the player or agent want to come to burnley. The answer would appear to be no. Make of that what you will however we are not an attractive proposition.

It's great that we are now being compared to the top 6. Not sure why though.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
which league would you say is the best in Europe ?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm
Personally I don't think there's much between the Prem, Bundesliga and La Liga. I know SKY and sections of the media like to hype up the Prem as by far and away the best but I just don't see it. Just because the players generally get paid a lot more it doesn't make them any better. A bang average footballer is a bang average footballer, whether he's earning 30 grand a week or 70 grand a week.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:53 pm

I don't get the insistence to hold on to the past. We have had more money now than we have ever had yet our recruitment has been poor. If teams with more money can spend more money they already have players earning more to begin with and thus the players are harder to replace.

The fact we haven't been able to improve our first 11 is poor recruitment, it's as simple as that.

Don't worry so much about having criticism towards the club. The aren't going to turn round and tell you they don't want your support because you want them recognise weakness and improve.

I too Boysie am sick of the little old Burnley talk too. We are where we are because of money and good management.

If we have lost track of our roots I can only think others have lost track of current affairs :roll:

This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:31 pm

The thing with being in the PL is that our “fanbase” is irrelevant. It becomes relevant in the division below but currently our success is determined by owner wealth, transfer success, on pitch battles and our fans however many there are making the Turf intimidating.

So I don’t like this mentality of always remembering we are a small town either. It isn’t relevant and can lead to accepting low standards.

But.....there has to be realism. Our level currently is to float around somewhere in that 7th to 20th bracket and eventually it will go wrong, we will go down, and suddenly other clubs will out muscle us financially again. We have a bit less to spend than many clubs around us but I don’t see any evidence that effects success. Sheff Utd are near the top, and Villa, who have spent a lot more, are near bottom. Wage and transfer levels may make some difference, but it isn’t huge.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm not quoting super dimitris post however it again ignores that fact that the players to take us to the next will actually want to join burnley whilst there are more attractive propositions. If recruitment is based on final league position it cannot be judged as poor.

Fan base is irrelevant? Surely if a club , say Villa for example, gets twice as many through the turnstiles they will have more match day income to play with. Isn't FFP based on income? Also, take a club with a bigger fan base, United for example, how much do they get from corporate revenue? Not sure there is a comparison between Burnley and city clubs so there's no need to be "sick" about little old Burnley.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
I do have realism but apart from the big boys in this league on our day can beat all the rest - not that good a league and certainly not the best in europe.

You defeat your own arguement by saying we can beat 13 PL clubs; is this despite our poor recruitment?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 pm

As if we pay higher wages than Bournemouth, Brighton and Wolves :lol:

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:30 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:31 pm
The thing with being in the PL is that our “fanbase” is irrelevant. It becomes relevant in the division below but currently our success is determined by owner wealth, transfer success, on pitch battles and our fans however many there are making the Turf intimidating.

So I don’t like this mentality of always remembering we are a small town either. It isn’t relevant and can lead to accepting low standards.

But.....there has to be realism. Our level currently is to float around somewhere in that 7th to 20th bracket and eventually it will go wrong, we will go down, and suddenly other clubs will out muscle us financially again. We have a bit less to spend than many clubs around us but I don’t see any evidence that effects success. Sheff Utd are near the top, and Villa, who have spent a lot more, are near bottom. Wage and transfer levels may make some difference, but it isn’t huge.

If it was down to money spent then villa should be in top 4

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm
Spanish by a mile

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:33 pm
Spanish by a mile
That must be why Espanyol gave Wolves such a tough game last night.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Osasuna are in 11th place in La Liga on 31 points.

Can't say I know anything about them, but wondered if they are any better than us?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 pm

No but why the majority of champions league winners are from

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 pm
have you seen the decisions Madrid and especially Barcelona have got over the seasons in the Champions League ? :shock:

I watch a lot of La Liga, it's more technical yes but it's not stronger than the PL on the whole as Wolves proved last night

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm

FC Augsburg, Cagliari, Heerenveen, Bordeaux are all 11th in their top leagues.

Are they any better or worse than us?

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 pm
Spain 18, England 13. It's not a million miles apart. Especially as the lead of 5 was set up by Madrid in the first five seasons, only to be stopped when Burnley got involved!

Where the English league scores is in the variety. Especially in the past, but even now, there are more clubs at or near the top - not as many as perhaps we would like, but better than the Spanish duumvirate. Their European Cup wins - Real Madrid 13, Barcelona 5. England's - Liverpool 6, Man United 3, Nottingham Forest 2, Chelsea 1, Aston Villa 1. And Spain's runners-up who haven't won it are Valencia and Espanyol; ours are Leeds, Arsenal and Tottenham. Those stats tend towards England having the better league IMO.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 am

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:34 pm
I'm not quoting super dimitris post however it again ignores that fact that the players to take us to the next will actually want to join burnley whilst there are more attractive propositions. If recruitment is based on final league position it cannot be judged as poor.

Fan base is irrelevant? Surely if a club , say Villa for example, gets twice as many through the turnstiles they will have more match day income to play with. Isn't FFP based on income? Also, take a club with a bigger fan base, United for example, how much do they get from corporate revenue? Not sure there is a comparison between Burnley and city clubs so there's no need to be "sick" about little old Burnley.
My point about fan base is that we have matchday income of about £8m out of £140m total revenue, so if your example Villa had twice as much that is £16m out of £148m total revenue (all other things being equal). Therefore it isn’t a major factor while we are in this league.