Boris Watch

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Re: Boris Watch

Post by Damo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Most of you are being paid to sit at home.
Pretty much the same reason you voted labour at the last 2 general elections
I dont know why you are making such a fuss

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Im working as normal (busier actually) thanks and the fuss seems to be more from those who can't bare for people to have and share an opinion about the govt on a messageboard.

If people dont like the topic and/or dont want to take part then they can just ignore the thread, its really not that difficult
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:51 pm

claret3561 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Christ almighty, ive only read this page and the stupidity of some people is unbelievable, how can the government be blamed for any of this. People suggesting we should have locked down 20 days ago ffs, we couldn't stop people going to the beach this Sunday. Thousands of holiday makers over the last month flew abroad without a care, not taking seriously what was happening right in front of them and now complain they cant get back. The government cant be held responsible for people's stupidity nor can they magically counjere up ppe, testing kits and ventilators. All this takes time. Instead or whinging and whining let's just get behind them and start doing what they ask us to do and eventually we will come through this.
“Couldn’t stop people going to the beach last weekend...” - actually, they could have.

How much evidence do you need that the government hasn’t acted fast enough? It’s so bad that it gives credence to the idea that they’re actually sticking with the herd immunity plan that will kill a quarter of a million of us. Everything they’ve done has been a week or so after other countries. There’s too much faff and indecisiveness. No leadership at all. And what is worse - and very much the fault of the government - is that they’ve spent ten years underfunding all this stuff just so they could dole out tax breaks to the rich. I don’t understand why you’re making excuses for them.

claret3561
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 pm

No they couldn't stop people because people wont listen. I work on the bins around stroud and the amount of people who heard yesterday's message as please take up jogging and dog walking is unbelievable. My son in laws boss is stuck in Italy and he said he stands on his balcony watching truck after truck passing by full of coffins. Until people here start seeing the same they will continue ignoring all advice. Underfunding isn't killing people, lack of testing isnt killing people, government reaction time isn't killing people. PEOPLE ARE KILLING PEOPLE

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 pm

claret3561 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 pm
No they couldn't stop people because people wont listen. I work on the bins around stroud and the amount of people who heard yesterday's message as please take up jogging and dog walking is unbelievable. My son in laws boss is stuck in Italy and he said he stands on his balcony watching truck after truck passing by full of coffins. Until people here start seeing the same they will continue ignoring all advice. Underfunding isn't killing people, lack of testing isnt killing people, government reaction time isn't killing people. PEOPLE ARE KILLING PEOPLE
Yesterday’s message obviously wasn’t clear enough. This is what we have governments for. I could have told them that merely asking people to follow guidelines and the opinion of experts won’t work, because they spent a lot of time trashing experts over the last few years, and the whole economy has been set up to reward greed and selfishness for two generations.

As for budget cuts, as those who work in the effected services.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 pm
The lack of self awareness is hilarious.
The very “football message board / forum” you keep on sniping at its irrelevance (and I agree it is irrelevant) is the same board that you spent most of your sad existence of a life on.

You still have made no attempt whatsoever to answer the specific question on PPE and why you think the medical profession is critical of the government or why you think that your view is anything but in a minority on this issue.

Which penny dropping are you talking about ? You seriously think that because they won an election that they are not open to criticism because these are unprecedented times ? Even the government themselves have said they are happy to be scrutinised - and when they are lying about PPE that’s exactly what the medical profession and police are telling them.

Glad we agree all this is utterly irrelevant. Its irrelevant what I think what the medical profession has to say about the government.

But one things for sure, my opinion reflects what most people in the real world out there , are thinking. Which is , given the poisoned chalice that's landed in the government's lap, they're doing a good job.

Despite you and the rest of the noise mongers think, you're gonna be sorely disappointed at the next general election. AGAIN.

A snap YouGov survey, conducted overnight, finds that the public overwhelmingly support these new measures. Fully 93% of Britons back the move, including 76% who say they “strongly support” it.

You're out of step AGAIN . Arent you.

You're in a tiny noisy minority on here who create the deluded impression that they're the majority . Arent you.

I'm simply reflecting what the majority think. Arent I

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Yawn.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Oh dear, it's bad news for the message board merry band of Boris Bashing Keyboard Prime Ministers.

Public overwhelmingly backs the government’s new measures to tackle coronavirus

A snap YouGov survey, conducted overnight, finds that the public overwhelmingly support these new measures. Fully 93% of Britons back the move, including 76% who say they “strongly support” it.

While the vast majority of all social groups support the move, women are more likely to strongly support it than men (82% vs 70%), and older Brits are more likely to do so than younger Brits (85% of those aged 65 or more compared to 60% of 18-24 year olds).

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/arti ... new-measur

Mystic McCartney strikes again!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm

Still no answer from the belmtard - and yes I am resorting to insults because I and others many times before give you opportunities to respond to specific questions and you very rarely do...and then go off on your agenda.

You might be perfectly comfortable that your daughter has been going on the frontline with no protection but I’m not that my daughter is - and I can guarantee you that she will have zero protection when she goes to work tomorrow.
But hey the police federation, BMA, RCN, and Royal College of GPs must all be wrong and “in the minority”.
Last edited by TVC15 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm

So criticising Johnson's screw-ups over the last weeks constitutes not supporting the new measures, does it Rigsby ? Only in your weird head.

Of course the vast majority support yesterday's measures - who wouldn't ?

We're actually discussing how many lives will have been lost, needlessly, through his half-assed approach. Fingers crossed he and we get away with it.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Oh look !

The noisy 7 percenters are here!!

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

I didn't vote for Boris and thought he was an incompetent buffoon. His first Coronavirus response (herd immunity plan) was a disaster and everything i've come to expect from him.

However, every day since that first press conference he has impressed me. He listened to experts and immediately changed strategy even though that could have made him look stupid. The sign of a good leader.

He's taken difficult decisions on behalf of the country and people. He's put in sweeping financial plans for business and employees I never thought even a labour government would enact, let alone a conservative one.

This is proving to be his finest hour.
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney KateR

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:52 pm
Oh look !

The noisy 7 percenters are here!!
Everyone on here backs the new measures, and likely much stronger ones. Is there a poll rating the absence of decisiveness or not going far enough - which is what I’ve been criticising?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 pm

Hardly, Steddyman - at the moment. The final number of deaths in relation to other countries' tolls will determine that, I'm afraid. Fingers crossed for all our sakes.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Very next breath.

evensteadiereddie wrote:
We're actually discussing how many lives will have been lost, needlessly, through his half-assed approach.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm
Glad we agree all this is utterly irrelevant. Its irrelevant what I think what the medical profession has to say about the government.

But one things for sure, my opinion reflects what most people in the real world out there , are thinking. Which is , given the poisoned chalice that's landed in the government's lap, they're doing a good job.

Despite you and the rest of the noise mongers think, you're gonna be sorely disappointed at the next general election. AGAIN.

You're out of step AGAIN . Arent you.

You're in a tiny noisy minority on here who create the deluded impression that they're the majority . Arent you.

I'm simply reflecting what the majority think. Arent I
Five days ago 40% thought the government response was insufficient. Seems that satisfaction with the measures isn't matched by satisfaction in how quickly they were implemented.

Genuine question for you. Are you 100% behind the decision to "get on with normal lives" and to not enforce restrictions? I ask that after reading that your daughter is being put on the front-line (potentially without adequate PPE) to face a "tsunami", a tsunami that is the result of those decisions not to put more stringent measures in place originally.

Just to add, I wish your daughter all the very best.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 pm

As even you can see, Rigsby,I've said that I support yesterday's measures - by saying who wouldn't ? I know you're playing at being a knob but, please, try not to **** this thread up too.
What I don't support is his earlier half-assed approach because I fear, as do many others, that it's likely to cause many unnecessary deaths.
Hey, the Cabinet mutineers agreed with me ! Mystic Eddie strikes again.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Yesterday’s message obviously wasn’t clear enough. This is what we have governments for. I could have told them that merely asking people to follow guidelines and the opinion of experts won’t work, because they spent a lot of time trashing experts over the last few years, and the whole economy has been set up to reward greed and selfishness for two generations.

As for budget cuts, as those who work in the effected services.
Possibly the most ridiculous post in a long line. The message could not have been clearer yesterday. People MUST stay at home. Not could, not should, MUST.
If people choose to ignore that, then that is not the fault of the messenger
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Michael Gove wasn't too sure about it........... :lol:

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Yep the message couldn't have been clearer except the police felt the need to put out a statement unhappy about the mixed messages the govt are giving them

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Thats the Police Federation. " The Police " have made no such statement

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm

Who represent the interests of all Met police forces. If thats the best you can well done but doesn't help demonstrate how the "message couldnt have been clearer"

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 pm

And the Police Federation represent who ?

Ah yes, that ill-disciplined mob of activists and wreckers. :lol:

Ffs.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm
Thats the Police Federation. " The Police " have made no such statement
“The Police” are unlikely to make a statement against the government - especially given that each force is independent from one another.
The Police Federation represents their members across all police forces.
They are quite rightly saying the government have put them in a very difficult position without briefing - just like they have spoken out about how many of their officers have not received any PPE at a time when the lowest in society are out there deliberately spitting and coughing at officers knowing (or thinking) they may bie passing the virus to them.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm
Having seen photos of the tube today, the government isn’t at all doing enough to keep people away from each other. Why allow Sports Direct to open? Why leave it up to them to choose to close? If the government wants to achieve a majority of people self isolating, and asking people nicely isn’t working, then stronger measures have to be taken. They have to rid themselves of their free market instincts for the duration. There are hundreds of thousands of people abroad and the remaining airlines cancelling flights. These people are only going to get home if the government makes it happen. Acting in concert with other governments, this should not be a difficult task.

The free market cannot function when you want as many people as possible to stay home and not mingle with others. It’s the governments job now to reassure people they won’t be saddled with months worth of rent, mortgage, or even credit card payments if they remain at home. With this the government would no longer need to worry about paying people 80% of their salary (which itself is a load of faff) because they could simply pay out the same living allowance to everyone. Put price controls into place, and rationing, and it’ll work. Everyone will understand that the business of prospering has to be put on hold, so nobody actually needs more money - what are you going to spend it on anyway? The money they dole out as a living allowance doesn’t even have to be in Sterling. It could be an entirely different currency for use only with essentials, with an expiry date if need be. And because we’re a sovereign nation, we can create it from nothing.
Oh, Andrew, Andrew, where do you get your ideas from: "it could be an entirely different currency...." "we can create it from nothing...." "Put price controls into place and rationing."

OK, that sounds to be right out of Chavez/Venezuela's "play book." Are you aware that the "panic buying" stuff is now settling down and getting sorted.

Things aren't that bad. And, "wrecking the economy" beyond what is needed to get through these coronavirus months is very definitely not a "good idea."

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Of course there’s lack of clarity: “I think people are tired of hearing from experts” and “we’re taking the advice of experts”

Johnson asking people not to go out, and then waffling on about how good fresh air is - and this just before the weekend when lots of people head out for fresh air.

Of course people want to believe the government is doing a good job. I would prefer to believe that too, but if other countries are anything to go by, what is coming could be truly awful. So much so that a Tory MP has suggested bringing in opposition figures to the cabinet, and it has been suggested that doing this could shield Johnson from mob fury if lots of people begin to die.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm
Five days ago 40% thought the government response was insufficient. Seems that satisfaction with the measures isn't matched by satisfaction in how quickly they were implemented.

Genuine question for you. Are you 100% behind the decision to "get on with normal lives" and to not enforce restrictions? I ask that after reading that your daughter is being put on the front-line (potentially without adequate PPE) to face a "tsunami", a tsunami that is the result of those decisions not to put more stringent measures in place originally.

Just to add, I wish your daughter all the very best.
Cheers

Spoke to my daughter on her way home from work actually. Typically, she told me to "give over worrying dad, I'll be fine" My instinct is to have her as far away from danger as is possible. However, she's an adult and as her dad, I have to accept that she's responsible for her own decisions. God knows what I'd do if anything was to happen to her. Of course , when she goes on the ward I want her to have appropriate protection.

Now, regards the PMs change of approach

Johnson is simply doing exactly, what Prime Minister, Corbyn/Starmer/Swinson would've had to do.

Which is, listening to the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and his team. That advice would have been the same, regardless of who had the keys to Number 10.

The modelling is based on a fast changing , and , very fluid situation. The variables will be changing by the hour. Its clear that there was no consensus amongst the government's advisers themselves.

The one and only reason the PM changed the government's approach. Is because his advice changed.

You'll , no doubt, be familiar with the words of John Maynard Keynes -

"When the facts change, I change my mind - what do you do, sir?"

According to YouGov 93% agree.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 pm
Yep the message couldn't have been clearer except the police felt the need to put out a statement unhappy about the mixed messages the govt are giving them

To be fair, DA, that message reflects poorly on "the police" not on the gov't. There was nothing "mixed" about the message. And, goodness, what does the Fed mean by "putting us in a very difficult position?" They are the police. They've been trained to be police - and not just in football crowd situations (I hope).

What I don't understand is why the BBC reported it and drew attention to it.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 pm
To be fair, DA, that message reflects poorly on "the police" not on the gov't. There was nothing "mixed" about the message. And, goodness, what does the Fed mean by "putting us in a very difficult position?" They are the police. They've been trained to be police - and not just in football crowd situations (I hope).

What I don't understand is why the BBC reported it and drew attention to it.
Wow - that’s quite an ignorant statement to make. “Football crowds” - have you any idea what the police do on a daily basis to protect you and the rest of us ?

They are in a very difficult position because they cannot cope with the level of crime there is now without this - they have not been involved in any of the discussions as to how this will be implemented or how they will resource it.
At the same time many of their members are being asked to do this and everything else they need to do without PPE being provided to them.

Maybe they are a bit upset that the government are effectively telling their members to just go out and do these things and put their lives at risk ?
Last edited by TVC15 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 pm

The govt put one message up and then deleted it and replaced it with a new one and there was loads of people on social media left uncertain around whether they should be going into work and if they didn't whether they would be sacked.

You can blame all the people who didn't find the messaging clear if you like or you can just accept that the messaging could have been clearer but thats up to you.

As for the BBC then the police fed putting out a statement like they did is obviously gonna be a news story in the context of whats was happening that night.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm
Oh, Andrew, Andrew, where do you get your ideas from: "it could be an entirely different currency...." "we can create it from nothing...." "Put price controls into place and rationing."

OK, that sounds to be right out of Chavez/Venezuela's "play book." Are you aware that the "panic buying" stuff is now settling down and getting sorted.

Things aren't that bad. And, "wrecking the economy" beyond what is needed to get through these coronavirus months is very definitely not a "good idea."
I got a bite! Okay - I wasn’t “fishing”.

The free market cannot serve the country in a crisis like this. You have already accepted this if you’re pleased with the government paying 80% of salaries for people out of work as a result, and shops enforcing rationing. It will create an infinitely bigger problem in the economy if we let some people fall behind on rent or their mortgage or their credit card bill, or bank loans, and employment contracts where employees are no longer working. We also have to look after businesses that are shut down. They also have financial obligations that if we keep going, eventually won’t be met.

So why not put these things “on pause”? It’s only for the duration of the crisis - which could be a lot longer than the three months currently bandied about. If everyone’s financial obligations are put on pause, then the only thing we all have to worry about is immediate necessities. This the government could look after by creating a time limited currency paid out to everyone equally. Price controls and rationing would have to be instituted, because if you have a captive market you’ll get people trying to profiteer otherwise. If it’s in a different currency, nobody will be able to game the system by using their own money, and it then can’t cause inflation with Sterling. Of course there would be a black market, but the problems it would bring, compared to the issues the system could fix would be minimal. It’s a short term fix. Once the crisis is over we go back to normal.

Some questions for you: How do you propose Sunak raises the money to pay his 80% of salary - which won’t cover everyone? How would you cover people who fall into unsustainable levels of debt due to the crisis if it goes on for a long time? How would you deal without landlords who raise their rents during the crisis? How do we look after everyone if the crisis goes on well beyond the average person’s ability to pay their mortgage, rent, credit card bill, loan repayments, employee wages, etc?

Burnley FC - we have a staff and a wage bill - but an income based on contracts with companies which themselves will be hit by the crisis, and possibly suffer cash flow problems. The whole thing could come tumbling down if we expect things to carry on as usual. So put everything on pause, so no wages are paid, the club receives no income, and everyone self isolates so the crisis goes away faster. While this is happening everyone gets their personal payout from the government so they can get by, players, club officials, network tv people, audience, etc. When the crisis is over, we can start it up as before, and nobody has lost anything other than the time of the crisis, which has been common to all.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Oh dear, it's bad news for the message board merry band of Boris Bashing Keyboard Prime Ministers.

Public overwhelmingly backs the government’s new measures to tackle coronavirus

That's not backing Boris though is it, it's support for the the long overdue lockdown recommended by experts.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... poll-finds

Only 36% of Britons trust Boris Johnson on coronavirus, poll finds

"Fewer than two in five (36%) said they trusted what the prime minister, Boris Johnson, said on the subject, while just 37% trusted the information given by the health secretary, Matt Hancock.

[Sorry for the bold text everyone, feels bad stooping to Wrongo's level.]

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 pm
I got a bite! Okay - I wasn’t “fishing”.

The free market cannot serve the country in a crisis like this. You have already accepted this if you’re pleased with the government paying 80% of salaries for people out of work as a result, and shops enforcing rationing. It will create an infinitely bigger problem in the economy if we let some people fall behind on rent or their mortgage or their credit card bill, or bank loans, and employment contracts where employees are no longer working. We also have to look after businesses that are shut down. They also have financial obligations that if we keep going, eventually won’t be met.

So why not put these things “on pause”? It’s only for the duration of the crisis - which could be a lot longer than the three months currently bandied about. If everyone’s financial obligations are put on pause, then the only thing we all have to worry about is immediate necessities. This the government could look after by creating a time limited currency paid out to everyone equally. Price controls and rationing would have to be instituted, because if you have a captive market you’ll get people trying to profiteer otherwise. If it’s in a different currency, nobody will be able to game the system by using their own money, and it then can’t cause inflation with Sterling. Of course there would be a black market, but the problems it would bring, compared to the issues the system could fix would be minimal. It’s a short term fix. Once the crisis is over we go back to normal.

Some questions for you: How do you propose Sunak raises the money to pay his 80% of salary - which won’t cover everyone? How would you cover people who fall into unsustainable levels of debt due to the crisis if it goes on for a long time? How would you deal without landlords who raise their rents during the crisis? How do we look after everyone if the crisis goes on well beyond the average person’s ability to pay their mortgage, rent, credit card bill, loan repayments, employee wages, etc?

Burnley FC - we have a staff and a wage bill - but an income based on contracts with companies which themselves will be hit by the crisis, and possibly suffer cash flow problems. The whole thing could come tumbling down if we expect things to carry on as usual. So put everything on pause, so no wages are paid, the club receives no income, and everyone self isolates so the crisis goes away faster. While this is happening everyone gets their personal payout from the government so they can get by, players, club officials, network tv people, audience, etc. When the crisis is over, we can start it up as before, and nobody has lost anything other than the time of the crisis, which has been common to all.
Do you think that telling the rest of the world that Sterling is now worthless, even temporarily, won't have any long-term effect?

You're dreaming if you think people won't be able to "game" the system by using their own money. The people, mostly the richer ones already, who have significant funds in Dollars, Euros, or any other currency worth more than Sterling (ie. everything but the bolivar) will be kings of the market.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
So criticising Johnson's screw-ups over the last weeks constitutes not supporting the new measures, does it Rigsby ? Only in your weird head.

We're actually discussing how many lives will have been lost, needlessly, through his half-assed approach. Fingers crossed he and we get away with it.
Therein lies the problem with this thread, and the muppets who infest it.
If it turns out that fewer people die than the scare mongers predict, it won't be because of the governments decisions but because Boris got away with it.

If only you could see yourselves as others do :roll:

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 pm
The govt put one message up and then deleted it and replaced it with a new one and there was loads of people on social media left uncertain around whether they should be going into work and if they didn't whether they would be sacked.

You can blame all the people who didn't find the messaging clear if you like or you can just accept that the messaging could have been clearer but thats up to you.

As for the BBC then the police fed putting out a statement like they did is obviously gonna be a news story in the context of whats was happening that night.
The instructions couldn't have been any clearer, going in or stopping at home were both excusable in their own ways & shouldn't have been deemed a problem, you tend to go into work & let them make the decision thus guaranteeing yourself some sort of rights, it's the governments job to make the decision the workplace to abide by it.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:10 am

Personal responsibility seems to have been lost or a least deferred. Yesterday, my wife went to work (bank), my 21 year old son and I stayed in all day as we had sufficient food in the cupboard, then when the boss lady came home, we, as a group went for a walk. A circular route from our house, we saw one other family walking and passed more than 2m apart.
Everyone else follow the clearly laid out rules? Or were the too difficult to interpret?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 am

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 am
That's not backing Boris though is it, it's support for the the long overdue lockdown recommended by experts.

"Fewer than two in five (36%) said they trusted what the prime minister, Boris Johnson, said on the subject, while just 37% trusted the information given by the health secretary, Matt Hancock.

So some people don't trust what Matt Hancock is saying, even though he's being advised etc by the experts that people trust?

I'd say the problem is with the people more than anywhere else.
They're so blinded politically that even when we have a pandemic they can't see past party lines.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 am

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 am

Oh dear. Oh dear, dear dear.

Some more desperate, desperate posting from another of the message board Boris Bashing keyboard Prime ministers!!

You didn't read up the thread did you!

This is a post i made in a reply to Andrew JB

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am

"This is where I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
You claim that certain newspapers that are read by people disagree with your world view, are biased. Whilst believing the newspapers that you read are not.

This is a headline in the guardian- (yes ! I read the guardian as well as other newspapers)

"Only 36% of Britons trust Boris Johnson on coronavirus, poll finds"

But when you read into the report it admits this!

"While the government is seen, overall, as having handled the crisis well – with 44% approving and 30% disapproving of its reaction"

In other words the majority of people back the government!

Since then the government's approval ratings have increased considerably.

An unfavourable headline from data that reveals the government's actual popularity. That's biased Andrew."

The article I linked TWO DAYS before you, was published 14th March 2019

Since then, noisy lefties like you have shrivelled into a tiny tiny minority of 7%

A noisy, minuscule minority, desperately trying to politically point score on an irrelevant football message board.

(Note - if you're going to post a link. Read the article not just the biased headlines)
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 am
The instructions couldn't have been any clearer, going in or stopping at home were both excusable in their own ways & shouldn't have been deemed a problem, you tend to go into work & let them make the decision thus guaranteeing yourself some sort of rights, it's the governments job to make the decision the workplace to abide by it.
Boris said one thing and the govt messaging that got put out social media said something different. In the first hour from making the statement there were three different messages and this caused a lot of confusion for a certain group of people who that messaging impacted

I would suggest that if all the different forms of officially govt messaging including Johnsons statement would have all aligned and said the same thing then the messaging would have been clearer - don't you agree?

Maybe you think for some strange reason that had everything been consistent and aligned that would have made the messaging less clear but I don't know and don't really care especially if you are going to be that stupid

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 am
Therein lies the problem with this thread, and the muppets who infest it.
If it turns out that fewer people die than the scare mongers predict, it won't be because of the governments decisions but because Boris got away with it.

If only you could see yourselves as others do :roll:

The government did a U turn after Macron and Co threatened to close borders to us and our own Cabinet threatened a mutiny. This U turn suggests that mistakes were made. Those mistakes may, or may not, result in a helluva lot of extra, needless deaths.
The buck, as Johnsonkeeps saying, stops with him. Let's hope for all our sakes, and his, that the errors in judgement don't prove too costly ie he, and us, get away with it.

Hope that clears your mind and your short-sightedness, Colburn..

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:52 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 am
So some people don't trust what Matt Hancock is saying, even though he's being advised etc by the experts that people trust?

I'd say the problem is with the people more than anywhere else.
They're so blinded politically that even when we have a pandemic they can't see past party lines.
To be fair, there are literally millions of left leaning and labour voters that have put any tribal, partisan political nonsense to one side and back the government. I speak to some of them on a daily basis.

On here, in the country and in certain parts of the biased media. Theres a blinkered, mutton headed rump who refuse to resist their reflex reaction to snipe from the sidelines.

Who ever was PM, this virus would have handed them a poisoned chalice.

An unenviable task of balancing, the natural humanitarian urge to preserve as many lives as is possible. And, trying to ensure that when, God willing, we come out of this horrendous situation. Theres actually a viable economy left to come out to.

The enormity of the task , whoever had to do it. Cannot be overestimated.

Apparently it doesn't stop the tiny tiny minority of noise mongers from venting their spleen in a pathetic, futile, political point scoring exercise. Let's be honest, the latest YouGov poll shows 93% of people back the government, therefore that must include millions of fair minded rational lefties and labour voters
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am
Boris said one thing and the govt messaging that got put out social media said something different. In the first hour from making the statement there were three different messages and this caused a lot of confusion for a certain group of people who that messaging impacted

I would suggest that if all the different forms of officially govt messaging including Johnsons statement would have all aligned and said the same thing then the messaging would have been clearer - don't you agree?

Maybe you think for some strange reason that had everything been consistent and aligned that would have made the messaging less clear but I don't know and don't really care especially if you are going to be that stupid
The official message was broadcast on television & that's the information I think most people were paying attention to, the disparity/unreliability between information sources shouldn't have been a issue, the main message was loud & clear, that's the problem with Facebook & Twitter the information gets distorted & changed at random, you want the right information the horse's mouth aim for that. The text & information links I've been reading are pretty much in line & all are saying the same thing, then again what Fred says from South Shields says I ignore & other people may think this is gospel.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 am
The official message was broadcast on television & that's the information I think most people were paying attention to, the disparity/unreliability between information sources shouldn't have been a issue, the main message was loud & clear, that's the problem with Facebook & Twitter the information gets distorted & changed at random, you want the right information the horse's mouth aim for that. The text & information links I've been reading are pretty much in line & all are saying the same thing, then again what Fred says from South Shields says I ignore & other people may think this is gospel.
There was probably as many people on Twitter trying to keep up with the news than were able to sit down and watch it on TV.

How is the govt putting the wrong message out for them to see and discuss clearer than the govt putting out the same messaging as what was being said by Johnson?

Just to be clear it wasn't what Fred from South Shields said it was official govt messaging which is in effect the words of Boris Johnson i.e. "the horses mouth"

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 am

"Apparently it doesn't stop the tiny tiny minority of noise mongers from venting their spleen in a pathetic, futile, political point scoring exercise"

Calm down, love. I think it's perfectly fair to question how this huge issue is being played out. Forget Johnson, Corbyn or whoever may or may not have been in charge, the fact is that errors appear, in hindsight, to have been made. That is widely accepted.
I don't think exploring this or hoping that no, or not many, avoidable deaths have been caused by error is either noise mongering, spleen venting, pathetic, futile nor point scoring.
If you think it is, Ringo,you're being more silly and ignorant than usual.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 am
There was probably as many people on Twitter trying to keep up with the news than were able to sit down and watch it on TV.

How is the govt putting the wrong message out for them to see and discuss clearer than the govt putting out the same messaging as what was being said by Johnson?

Just to be clear it wasn't what Fred from South Shields said it was official govt messaging which is in effect the words of Boris Johnson i.e. "the horses mouth"
If you can link up any deviations/inaccuracies from the official television broadcast & the official government Twitter feed I might be able to make some sense of it.
So far since the pandemic the information I've received & where I've looked everything's been coherent & clear & no margin for misunderstanding or error, it's just very very basic stuff, a 5 year old could understand & anybody with a modicum of common sense, eg when coughing & sneezing make sure you use a tissue & if you show symptoms self isolate immediately.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am

Again, Michael Gove struggled with some of it....
Mind you...
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 am
If you can link up any deviations/inaccuracies from the official television broadcast & the official government Twitter feed I might be able to make some sense of it.
So far since the pandemic the information I've received & where I've looked everything's been coherent & clear & no margin for misunderstanding or error, it's just very very basic stuff, a 5 year old could understand & anybody with a modicum of common sense, eg when coughing & sneezing make sure you use a tissue & if you show symptoms self isolate immediately.
Quote from the transcript of Johnson's broad past on Monday - note the last point where it says work must be absolutely necessary:
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... march-2020
That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
Current government guidance - note the first point where it says go to work if it can't be done from home:
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)
Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people
Wash your hands as soon as you get home
Both are pretty clear but definitely not consistent, there's a crucial part missing from the current guidance that was in the original message.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am

The first message below focused everyone staying at home unless exceptional circumstances. You'll see the video message was deleted because it was not the correct message

GOV UK (@GOVUK) tweeted at 9:04 pm on Mon, Mar 23, 2020:
PM @BorisJohnson has announced that everyone must now stay at home except in exceptional circumstances, to protect our NHS and save lives. https://t.co/EYjBKuHJc9
(https://twitter.com/GOVUK/status/124219 ... 81730?s=03)

In the 'staying at home for 3 weeks' thread about 11pm Monday I show the screen grabs about going to work (cannot display them from my work laptop).

The first one put up stated you may leave home to go to work 'if you're a key worker' which was then replaced by a new one which changed to you may leave home to go to work 'but work from home if possible'

The first one was deleted when it was replaced. Again if you think that messaging is as clear as it could be then don't ever go for a comms job

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am

Not everybody takes everything so literal, you are allowed to exercise common sense in a changing environment, remember the 2 points were in transition the employers were deciding on the workforces & whether or not to apply for the grants, it's nitpicking.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am
Not everybody takes everything so literal, you are allowed to exercise common sense in a changing environment, remember the 2 points were in transition the employers were deciding on the workforces & whether or not to apply for the grants, it's nitpicking.
Not everyone exercises common sense, particularly some employers who will take advantage of any possible loopholes they can find to avoid having to pay their staff for sitting at home.