ARTICLE: Wood in with a chance for Saturday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: ARTICLE: Wood in with a chance for Saturday

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm
Hendrick is nothing like Brownhill, so hardly a like for like swap. Hendrick is playing out wide because we haven't a decent winger on that side, that's all. When JBG is back, he might be a bit redundant and possibly he is thinking of leaving, but possibly not. Maybe he would be happy to be a squad player, after all, that's been his role most of the time he's been here.

I think Brownhill has been brought in to do the Defour role which would be great for strikers like JayRod and Vyds. I just hope we get to see those three on the field together, before Sean decides to let Vyds go.

Judging by Sean's comment earlier today in which he said about Vyds "If he plays." That to me suggests he willl unless something unforseen happens before the game.
Can't argue there Gordy because I haven't seen Brownhill play at all to the best of my knowledge. If he can play a Defour role (although it's hard to see how he can be as GOOD as Defour) then that will be brilliant. What happens when JBG is back is anyone's guess but a fit JBG has to be in the team. After some of Hendrick's performances recently it would be hard to drop him also. An interesting scenario. You have to fear more for Cork or Westwood but then Westwood has been playing well recently and Cork has improved on his early season performances. I suppose you come back down to the old (and in my view correct) philosophy of not changing a winning team, and at the moment we are winning.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am
Can't argue there Gordy because I haven't seen Brownhill play at all to the best of my knowledge. If he can play a Defour role (although it's hard to see how he can be as GOOD as Defour) then that will be brilliant. What happens when JBG is back is anyone's guess but a fit JBG has to be in the team. After some of Hendrick's performances recently it would be hard to drop him also. An interesting scenario. You have to fear more for Cork or Westwood but then Westwood has been playing well recently and Cork has improved on his early season performances. I suppose you come back down to the old (and in my view correct) philosophy of not changing a winning team, and at the moment we are winning.
Maybe I'm wrong House but I feel that Brownhill could be as influential as Defour and that would be great. I think he's a box to box midfielder and it's definitely Cork's place that's under threat. (Westy is just too good to drop.) I think Brownhill would suit both JayRod and Vydra, supplying through balls in the way Defour did. Whether he'd be as good as Defour, well that's another question.

Brownhill and Vydra certainly give us different options and I'd love to see Vyds, JayRod and Brownhill on the pitch at the same time. JBG as well would be good, as I think when he's fit, he's marginally better than Hendrick. It's up to Sean of course as only eleven can start.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am

If Wood is fit I think Sean will start him, he knows exactly what he brings to the team. If for whatever reason Wood has to come off Vydra will get his chance again, he'll be (Vydra) dissapointed not to start but the group will keep his spirits up.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:26 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am
Maybe I'm wrong House but I feel that Brownhill could be as influential as Defour and that would be great. I think he's a box to box midfielder and it's definitely Cork's place that's under threat. (Westy is just too good to drop.) I think Brownhill would suit both JayRod and Vydra, supplying through balls in the way Defour did. Whether he'd be as good as Defour, well that's another question.

Brownhill and Vydra certainly give us different options and I'd love to see Vyds, JayRod and Brownhill on the pitch at the same time. JBG as well would be good, as I think when he's fit, he's marginally better than Hendrick. It's up to Sean of course as only eleven can start.
With Brownhill, Hendrick and a fit JBG we at last seem to have enough quality to be able to have some real strength in depth. Add to that in Wood, JR, Vydra and Ash we have 4 decent quality strikers. My opinion is that, at the moment until we have seen what Vydra could do with an extended run, Ash is maybe going to become 4th choice, which wouldn't be bad would it?

The most important thing Dyche and the board need to do now, if possible, is to get that signature from Hendrick.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:33 am

beddie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am
If Wood is fit I think Sean will start him, he knows exactly what he brings to the team. If for whatever reason Wood has to come off Vydra will get his chance again, he'll be (Vydra) dissapointed not to start but the group will keep his spirits up.
I take your point but unless Wood is fully fit then he certainly shouldn't start because we don't want to make any injury worse, he is just too important. Vydra should start anyway because with a fit Wood on the bench it would be just that extra motivation (as if he needed it) to try to keep the shirt. If Wood was to start why not try a Wood/Vydra partnership as a start with JR on the bench? Someone has to be disappointed at some point but that is no bad thing for the team.

It's nice when we are discussing possible permutations now for a team that traditionally has almost picked itself. What a good time to be a Claret. :D
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:52 am

Sean said about Vydra, "If he starts." To me, that suggests he will and rightly so. You can't come on and score a goal like that and get dropped. It would be so unfair. Not only that, it would really upset Vyds and make him want out pronto.

Just read the Defour interview. That says such a lot about Dyche's qualities as a man manager. I can't see any way that he would drop Vyds for tomorrow, because it would be contrary to his ethos of '"Take your chance when you get it."
This user liked this post: houseboy

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:52 am
Sean said about Vydra, "If he starts." To me, that suggests he will and rightly so.
Is this a recent press conference? Could you post a clip?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:20 pm
Is this a recent press conference? Could you post a clip?
The actual quote was “If he plays on Saturday it would be lovely if he pops up again."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... it-wonder/

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 pm
The actual quote was “If he plays on Saturday it would be lovely if he pops up again."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... it-wonder/
Yeah maybe. Hope so, although like I've said, Wood starting won't be bad either.

So far, all 4 of our forwards offer something, which is what we want.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:26 am
With Brownhill, Hendrick and a fit JBG we at last seem to have enough quality to be able to have some real strength in depth. Add to that in Wood, JR, Vydra and Ash we have 4 decent quality strikers. My opinion is that, at the moment until we have seen what Vydra could do with an extended run, Ash is maybe going to become 4th choice, which wouldn't be bad would it?

The most important thing Dyche and the board need to do now, if possible, is to get that signature from Hendrick.
I don't think Barnes has dropped to 4th. Vydra has scored one goal, that's all.

Vydra has a chance now to prove what he is about

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Sorry, but for me Vyds has to start, regardless of whether Wood is fit or not. Sean has always said to his fringe players, "Take your chance when it's given to retain the shirt." Vyds did that with some style and has to start if Sean is to retain credibility with the players.

It looks like the weather conditions might be similar to last week, so stamina might come into the equasion as players battle the conditions again. If so, Vyds can come off later in the game if he tires, as many on here seem to think he would.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm
Sorry, but for me Vyds has to start, regardless of whether Wood is fit or not. Sean has always said to his fringe players, "Take your chance when it's given to retain the shirt." Vyds did that with some style and has to start if Sean is to retain credibility with the players.
But that also includes dropping a player who got injured. Which is equally as harsh as not giving Vydra his chance.

It's a tough choice if Wood is indeed fit to start.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm
I don't think Barnes has dropped to 4th. Vydra has scored one goal, that's all.

Vydra has a chance now to prove what he is about
I agree totally mate, he could be a one goal wonder, but if he gets the opportunity now and grabs it successfully Ash would surely be behind Wood and JR and then, depending on his performances, Vydra as well. It's a hard time to be a striker at our place just now but it is great for the team and the fans.

I think for too long we have been a bit short on depth and that can make players complacent but in certain areas of the pitch now there is going to be genuine competiton for places and that is only good for everyone.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 pm
But that also includes dropping a player who got injured. Which is equally as harsh as not giving Vydra his chance.

It's not the same at all. Lots of players have lost their places to injury and had to wait their chance to get back in the team. Tom Heaton was a prime example. Best keeper we've ever had but Pope kept him out for a long time after his shoulder injury.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm
It's not the same at all. Lots of players have lost their places to injury and had to wait their chance to get back in the team. Tom Heaton was a prime example. Best keeper we've ever had but Pope kept him out for a long time after his shoulder injury.
I disagree.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 pm
I disagree.
I thought you might.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm

If Wood has a chance of starting but we go Vydra its SD's role to say to Wood that we are not going to risk it and give him another week off. After all Wood has had a few tweaks and hamstring issues.SD is very good at keeping the camp happy and he will be best placed to take a decision

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:15 pm

I just keep watching this over and over and every time I see it, it convinces me that Vyds just has to start tomorrow.

Just listen to the commentator.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ra-stunner

No one has scored a better goal for the Clarets than that for many a long year. Not even Steven Defour.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 pm
I agree totally mate, he could be a one goal wonder, but if he gets the opportunity now and grabs it successfully Ash would surely be behind Wood and JR and then, depending on his performances, Vydra as well. It's a hard time to be a striker at our place just now but it is great for the team and the fans.

I think for too long we have been a bit short on depth and that can make players complacent but in certain areas of the pitch now there is going to be genuine competiton for places and that is only good for everyone.
I bet Tottenham wish they had our depth in strikers right now
This user liked this post: houseboy

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Its a "squad-game" particularly for our 4 strikers.All have a part to play, as proved on Saturday. Barnes will come back fighting for his place but has done this before and BFC have benefitted. Jay was not a regulat starter until recently-look at him now. Any PL side needs a minimum of 4 strikers in its squad.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Charlie Taylor had to wait for his chance to get back in earlier in the season, even though he's a far superior left back than Pieters.

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Looks like this comment was made to be read on the South Coast and influence their team selection.

SD now implementing mind games. Job done.