Westwood interview in the Telegraph

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Westwood interview in the Telegraph

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Ashley Westwood interview: ‘I’ve never known anything like the Burnley dressing room – the camaraderie is like a Sunday League team’
Westwood is loving his football at the moment and couldn’t care less about Burnley’s reputation as long-ball merchants

By James Ducker, Northern Football Correspondent 20 February 2020 • 3:45pm

As the conversation turns to the subject of grass and gardening, Ashley Westwood’s face lights up. Few things may bring the Burnley midfielder as much happiness as plonking a perfect cross on to the head of Chris Wood to score, but he is equally in his element when he has his lawnmower out or is testing his wife, Rebecca, on the botanical names of plants after dinner on a Sunday evening.

“I was laughing during the winter break the other week,” Westwood says. “There are all these pictures of Premier League players on holiday in Dubai and other exotic places and I’m there at the bottom of my garden digging up bushes with Rebecca.

“She’s studying horticulture at college in Cheadle. On a Sunday night, she’ll be learning the Latin names for various plants and flowers. I’ll come in and test her and she’s there reeling them all off.

“I love my garden – love me grass, especially. It’s therapeutic being out there. The first bit of the lawn is astroturfed for the kids to play football. The ball goes on to the grass and my little boy, Frankie, starts to run and I’m like: ‘Get off me grass!’ If he doesn’t score, he doesn’t get his ball back!”

Suffice to say, Westwood’s discussions with Barry O’Brien, the Burnley groundsman, are more scientific than most. “I tell Baz what he’s doing wrong,” Westwood jokes. “He sent me a load of information the other week about which seeds to use and when. It’s really interesting. He slips me a few supplies now and then too. He said he’d give me a little area at the training ground to work on but I’m still waiting for that. It’s a fantastic set up at the training ground. It’s just at Turf Moor where the grass is a bit long, apparently…”

Westwood, of course, is having a playful dig at Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta’s complaints about the pitch after their 0-0 draw against Burnley earlier this month. The grass did not prevent Burnley from passing rings around Arsenal for long periods and, as the home supporters revelled in poking fun at David Luiz’s claims that Sean Dyche’s side are “anti football”, Westwood says they are happy to be pigeon-holed as crude, long-ball merchants.

“We’re labelled as a direct team who bully sides, but we don’t mind it,” he says. “We’d rather teams just think we boom it because then, when we do play, they are sort of shocked by it, but I think people saw that against Arsenal. At times in that game, we played them off the park. I think we’ve got the Stoke tag of years ago.

“We’ve not got distracted playing out from our own six-yard box. We get it forward and play in the right areas.

“Even Liverpool, as brilliant as they are, will play forward quickly at times and ask their front three to chase after the ball. We were joking that when they spin it in behind it’s a great long pass, when we do it it’s a long ball.”

The draw against Arsenal followed impressive victories over Leicester City and Manchester United and preceded another win against Southampton last Saturday, when Westwood scored direct from a corner. He is in the form of his life, one of the country’s hardest working and most underrated central midfielders whose pinpoint delivery from set pieces and open play has, alongside winger Dwight McNeil, provided a plentiful supply of ammunition for Wood and Ashley Barnes, Burnley’s formidable forward pairing, to gorge themselves on.

Barnes happens to be Westwood’s closest friend in the dressing room. Together, they bought a battered old Mercedes Viano which they use to drive to and from training.

“Barn West” cabs, as they call it, provides a handy taxi service for team-mates at the same time as ensuring they do their bit for the environment. Joe Hart is hitching a ride at the moment. They will meet at Costa Coffee, close to where Westwood lives in the affluent Cheshire suburb of Prestbury, and the journeys are renowned for their karaoke.

“Barnesy’s big into Celine Dion. The Power of Love. He also likes The Wurzels. Combine Harvester,” Westwood reveals. “He’s not got a voice but he’s good at that one.

“Harty can rap. He’s not bad. He’s into Stormzy. I’ve never known anything like this dressing room at Burnley. It’s like a Sunday League team in terms of camaraderie playing in the Premier League. It’s unbelievable.”

Westwood is fantastic company. Likeable, funny, generous with his time and the sort of strong, dependable character all teams need. It is certainly hard to marry this player with the one who sank into depression during his troubled final year with Aston Villa. The team were struggling, relegation from the Premier League loomed, the club changed managers five times in 18 months and Westwood struggled badly with the stick he got from angry, frustrated fans.

“It was only when I joined Burnley [in January 2017] that I realised how bad a place I was in,” he explains. “I’d keep it all inside, locked away, trying to show a hard face but my wife knew I was unhappy.

“We had a little group of us who’d have a drink after a game. I’d have a carafe of red wine but it’d end up being two bottles. I wouldn’t say I was turning into an alcoholic but I was never really a player who’d drink. I’d never drink in the house but now I didn’t want to go out. I’d get home after getting beat and didn’t want to be seen out because fans would turn on you and I’d end up drinking red wine at home. Rebecca was really worried about me at times. She’d ask: ‘Are you all right?’. And I’d just say: ‘Yeah, I’m fine’. But I wasn’t. It was an instant release coming to Burnley.”

Burnley face Bournemouth on Saturday, when a fourth win in five league games would strengthen their hopes of another shot at Europa League qualification. “I mentioned to Barnesy in the van on the way in to training the other day that we could get into Europe again,” Westwood says. “This run has propelled us into that group and we’re not far off.”
These 47 users liked this post: FactualFrank Aclaret HunterST_BFC Sarum Salisbury Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46 chorleyhere bfcjg Electro s4me expoultryboy Vegas AndrewJB levraiclaret JohnDearyMe IanMcL Juan Tanamera claretgimmer Taffy on the wing DAVETHEVICAR fatboy47 Burnleyareback2 tarkys_ears randomclaret2 jordsclarets beddie The Enclosure MT03ALG tim_noone jdrobbo Damo Cajun sox8595 Suratclaret DomBFC1882 longsidepies BOYSIE31 Blackburnclaret JohnMac SammyBoy Claret COBBLE ten bellies ClaretAndBlue94 upanatem Gordaleman wilks_bfc

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: Westwood interview in the Telegraph

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 pm

"It’s a fantastic set up at the training ground. It’s just at Turf Moor where the grass is a bit long, apparently…”

Brilliant
These 5 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Burnleyareback2 DomBFC1882 bfcjg Gordaleman

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:23 pm

"one of the country’s hardest working and most underrated central midfielders"

I'll second that

Anyone who can tolerate Hart doing Stormzy shows real dedication to their team

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Comes across as a proper bloke.
That was a good read .
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Have we ever had a player who has made such an impact from corners?

Every time he takes one now it feels like we have a special weapon. The kind of feeling you used to get seeing Beckham playing for England.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Cracking read Chester... He always comes across well in interviews, and that video he did with Ash Barnes at Christmas about Barn-West Cabs and the music was hilarious.

We missed him when he was injured no denying that...

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Fantastic. When he is on form we are unbeatable IMHO.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Good read. I always enjoy reading or hearing about our fantastic spirit and togetherness!

I'm sure that is just me looking through Claret tinted specs, though, and one of the more realistic fans will come on here and quickly tell me to snap out of it and get real.....

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:37 pm
Good question. I can't think of one.

We used to be awful at corners.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Dave Thomas was always brilliant with his corners.
These 4 users liked this post: AndrewJB levraiclaret Juan Tanamera Buxtonclaret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Yes he was. Long time ago, though.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:10 pm

superb

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by burnley007 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Fantastic read.
So proud of my club at the minute.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:20 pm

I’d have him on free kicks around the area rather than McNeil

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 pm
Good read. I always enjoy reading or hearing about our fantastic spirit and togetherness!

I'm sure that is just me looking through Claret tinted specs, though, and one of the more realistic fans will come on here and quickly tell me to snap out of it and get real.....
Snap out of it and get real..... of course we are proud of our fantastic one club mentality ...

Team sprit and togetherness sums up BFC perfectly.
None more so than the team celebrating with Vyds at St Marys on Saturday.

👍😎👍
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Agree re corners. Before Westwood it seemed the opposition scored as a result of our corners more than we did.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:23 pm
"one of the country’s hardest working and most underrated central midfielders"

I'll second that

Anyone who can tolerate Hart doing Stormzy shows real dedication to their team
It does demonstrate that Joe Hart is part of it all though and not some aloof guy thinking he owns the shampoo cupboard!
These 2 users liked this post: SalisburyClaret JohnMac

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Europe in the air....

Yippee!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm

A Terrier in the long grass.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 pm

The interview exemplifies the team spirit, and how we need new players to fit into it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 pm

That was a good read, he sounds like a real top bloke, and so honest about his unhappier time.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Every time he takes one now it feels like we have a special weapon. The kind of feeling you used to get seeing Beckham playing for England.
Only player i can think of relatively recently was David Eyres. He had a want of a left peg and whipped in some beauties underneath the bar at times too.

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Met Westy at Norton Canes services a couple of weeks back top lad UTC

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:02 pm
Ashley Westwood interview: ‘I’ve never known anything like the Burnley dressing room – the camaraderie is like a Sunday League team’
Westwood is loving his football at the moment and couldn’t care less about Burnley’s reputation as long-ball merchants

By James Ducker, Northern Football Correspondent 20 February 2020 • 3:45pm

As the conversation turns to the subject of grass and gardening, Ashley Westwood’s face lights up. Few things may bring the Burnley midfielder as much happiness as plonking a perfect cross on to the head of Chris Wood to score, but he is equally in his element when he has his lawnmower out or is testing his wife, Rebecca, on the botanical names of plants after dinner on a Sunday evening.

“I was laughing during the winter break the other week,” Westwood says. “There are all these pictures of Premier League players on holiday in Dubai and other exotic places and I’m there at the bottom of my garden digging up bushes with Rebecca.

“She’s studying horticulture at college in Cheadle. On a Sunday night, she’ll be learning the Latin names for various plants and flowers. I’ll come in and test her and she’s there reeling them all off.

“I love my garden – love me grass, especially. It’s therapeutic being out there. The first bit of the lawn is astroturfed for the kids to play football. The ball goes on to the grass and my little boy, Frankie, starts to run and I’m like: ‘Get off me grass!’ If he doesn’t score, he doesn’t get his ball back!”

Suffice to say, Westwood’s discussions with Barry O’Brien, the Burnley groundsman, are more scientific than most. “I tell Baz what he’s doing wrong,” Westwood jokes. “He sent me a load of information the other week about which seeds to use and when. It’s really interesting. He slips me a few supplies now and then too. He said he’d give me a little area at the training ground to work on but I’m still waiting for that. It’s a fantastic set up at the training ground. It’s just at Turf Moor where the grass is a bit long, apparently…”

Westwood, of course, is having a playful dig at Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta’s complaints about the pitch after their 0-0 draw against Burnley earlier this month. The grass did not prevent Burnley from passing rings around Arsenal for long periods and, as the home supporters revelled in poking fun at David Luiz’s claims that Sean Dyche’s side are “anti football”, Westwood says they are happy to be pigeon-holed as crude, long-ball merchants.

“We’re labelled as a direct team who bully sides, but we don’t mind it,” he says. “We’d rather teams just think we boom it because then, when we do play, they are sort of shocked by it, but I think people saw that against Arsenal. At times in that game, we played them off the park. I think we’ve got the Stoke tag of years ago.

“We’ve not got distracted playing out from our own six-yard box. We get it forward and play in the right areas.

“Even Liverpool, as brilliant as they are, will play forward quickly at times and ask their front three to chase after the ball. We were joking that when they spin it in behind it’s a great long pass, when we do it it’s a long ball.”

The draw against Arsenal followed impressive victories over Leicester City and Manchester United and preceded another win against Southampton last Saturday, when Westwood scored direct from a corner. He is in the form of his life, one of the country’s hardest working and most underrated central midfielders whose pinpoint delivery from set pieces and open play has, alongside winger Dwight McNeil, provided a plentiful supply of ammunition for Wood and Ashley Barnes, Burnley’s formidable forward pairing, to gorge themselves on.

Barnes happens to be Westwood’s closest friend in the dressing room. Together, they bought a battered old Mercedes Viano which they use to drive to and from training.

“Barn West” cabs, as they call it, provides a handy taxi service for team-mates at the same time as ensuring they do their bit for the environment. Joe Hart is hitching a ride at the moment. They will meet at Costa Coffee, close to where Westwood lives in the affluent Cheshire suburb of Prestbury, and the journeys are renowned for their karaoke.

“Barnesy’s big into Celine Dion. The Power of Love. He also likes The Wurzels. Combine Harvester,” Westwood reveals. “He’s not got a voice but he’s good at that one.

“Harty can rap. He’s not bad. He’s into Stormzy. I’ve never known anything like this dressing room at Burnley. It’s like a Sunday League team in terms of camaraderie playing in the Premier League. It’s unbelievable.”

Westwood is fantastic company. Likeable, funny, generous with his time and the sort of strong, dependable character all teams need. It is certainly hard to marry this player with the one who sank into depression during his troubled final year with Aston Villa. The team were struggling, relegation from the Premier League loomed, the club changed managers five times in 18 months and Westwood struggled badly with the stick he got from angry, frustrated fans.

“It was only when I joined Burnley [in January 2017] that I realised how bad a place I was in,” he explains. “I’d keep it all inside, locked away, trying to show a hard face but my wife knew I was unhappy.

“We had a little group of us who’d have a drink after a game. I’d have a carafe of red wine but it’d end up being two bottles. I wouldn’t say I was turning into an alcoholic but I was never really a player who’d drink. I’d never drink in the house but now I didn’t want to go out. I’d get home after getting beat and didn’t want to be seen out because fans would turn on you and I’d end up drinking red wine at home. Rebecca was really worried about me at times. She’d ask: ‘Are you all right?’. And I’d just say: ‘Yeah, I’m fine’. But I wasn’t. It was an instant release coming to Burnley.”

Burnley face Bournemouth on Saturday, when a fourth win in five league games would strengthen their hopes of another shot at Europa League qualification. “I mentioned to Barnesy in the van on the way in to training the other day that we could get into Europe again,” Westwood says. “This run has propelled us into that group and we’re not far off.”
Brilliant stuff!

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm

He has said that he is a poor man's Carrick. Well we claim to be poor and he is ours. I am so glad he is. Fantastic signing. What a bargain.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat JohnDearyMe

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 pm

My youngest's fave player and he was mascot a few months back. Notice how he always gets the mascot to point out their adult to make sure you get a special wave and great photo opportunities. Little touches of absolute class mark out the terrier in the long grass!

UTC!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 824 times
Has Liked: 1608 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Living in Lincoln I got to know a lady who supported Aston Villa and sold the Lincolnshire Echo in the City Centre.
She goes to all their home and away games and has done for years.
She talks to all the players before games and collects autographs of the players and has photos taken with them.
When we were linked with Matt Lowton and Ashley Westwood she told me that they were struggling in the Villa set up but they were the nicest, loveliest young lads at the club.
She has proved to be spot on in her judgement
These 5 users liked this post: jdrobbo Stayingup HunterST_BFC MT03ALG Buxtonclaret

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm
He has said that he is a poor man's Carrick. Well we claim to be poor and he is ours. I am so glad he is. Fantastic signing. What a bargain.
Remember Brady getting most of the attention when they both signed together but what a signing Westwood has been. Excellent value too

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Fast becoming 2nd Mr Burnley behind Ben Mee... To think some Villa fans were glad to see the back of him!!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 pm

Good article. Good player for us.
I note he lives in one of the places in the Golden Triangle of Prestbury, Wimslow and Alderley Edge. A lot of footballers there. Rooney has a place in Prestbury.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 pm

Definitely the best corner taker I have seen it at the club, without question. Great engine and all round tidy player. If his passing was more accurate I’d wager he wouldn’t be with us. Our central midfield tends to be much maligned when we’re not churning out results but Westwood and Cork have been consistently good players for us. Clearly great pro’s and top lads too.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 pm
Only player i can think of relatively recently was David Eyres. He had a want of a left peg and whipped in some beauties underneath the bar at times too.
How did he manage that with only a right leg ?
This user liked this post: Sonic

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 pm

Theres some two faced gits on this forum....cant think of one player who "Hasnt" had Dogs abuse on here...amazing what a couple of wins does.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 pm

In the Championship Season, Matty Taylor took some mean corners, and set pieces in general.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 pm

Wonder what the insurance premium is for Barn West Cabs!!
This user liked this post: Mala591

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:48 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm
Fast becoming 2nd Mr Burnley behind Ben Mee... To think some Villa fans were glad to see the back of him!!
Even now, there were a lot of Villa fans querying the Drinkwater signing simply because he was being kept out of Burnley's side by Westwood. They don't have any concept that the reason he was out of the Villa side but in the Burnley side, is as much about the two clubs as about Westwood.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm

Another perfect fit for Dyche’s Burnley.

JohnDearyMe

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 pm
Wonder what the insurance premium is for Barn West Cabs!!
Am slightly surprised that so many of them are allowed to drive in together. One accident and we could be in trouble

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:03 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 am
Am slightly surprised that so many of them are allowed to drive in together. One accident and we could be in trouble
The whole team(minus the manager)flew back from Southampton. One accident...
This user liked this post: deanothedino

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 am

If I were to think of one player who sums up the Burnley ethos it is Ashley Westwood. He has developed into a key member of "the group" and always comes over as an extremely affable and rounded individual when interviewed as already commented above.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 am

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 pm
Fantastic. When he is on form we are unbeatable IMHO.
Steady on!

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 am

Bullabill wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 pm
How did he manage that with only a right leg ?
Think you know I meant wand :D

wooooosh
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by wooooosh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:51 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 pm
In the Championship Season, Matty Taylor took some mean corners, and set pieces in general.
Agreed. Brighton away........ one perfectly legal goal disallowed followed by Keane's header to equalise last minute. Both from Matty Taylor corners right in front of us. :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:53 am

Matty Taylor turned it round at Brighton and also in the home game a few weeks later against Middlesbrough when again we scored the goal from his corner. And, like Westwood, another fantastic character to have in the dressing room. This is why it works so well at Burnley.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 am

Was it Joe Jakub that took corners in the 4th division title winning season?
The commentator in the York video seemed to suggest Jakub took all set pieces for us.

Pender and Davis seem to score a few from corners anyhow.

JohnDearyMe

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:00 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:03 am
The whole team(minus the manager)flew back from Southampton. One accident...
Would suggest that car accidents are slightly more prevalent than plane ones

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:00 am
Would suggest that car accidents are slightly more prevalent than plane ones
Unarguably. You’re more likely to survive a car crash than a plane crash, mind.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 am
I'm not sure an employer can dictate how an employee travels to work but this is another part of the fantastic team spirit we have at Burnley. I think Joe Hart is the only other passenger now. Ben Gibson travelled with them but I think they were considering kicking him out anyway because he wouldn't dip into his pocket to pay for the coffees.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

I think you may have inadvertently revealed the real reason for Gibson's falling out with the club there Tony 😉

JohnDearyMe

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:55 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 am
Unarguably. You’re more likely to survive a car crash than a plane crash, mind.
Very true. Was just wondering if it was something the club and/or the insurers had ever flagged up as a cause for concern given the game is increasingly monetised. Perhaps not.

Anyway, good to see the team spirit we have.