Ryan Babel - legend

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Ryan Babel - legend

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 pm

These 5 users liked this post: fidelcastro Juan Tanamera Im_not_Robbie_Blake houseboy moaninclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Re: Ryan Babel - legend

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Just seen that hilarious... Dwight McNeill retweeted it 😀

Hopey1786
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Hopey1786 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Fair play to him too

Sick.of these dead weights goin down and rolling around.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm

Enjoyable to watch, surprised he didn't get a yellow card for his actions though, or did he?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 pm

He blatantly kicked him!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm

There’s a clear difference between a player that has dived with no contact made to that where contact was made.

Contact was made and the only way a free kick is given in football is if you go down and play act. The clip shows the ref was gonna do nowt until he saw him on the deck.

It’s a contact sport blah blah blah. Well yes but not when you kick an opponent instead of the ball. There is no allowance in how hard you kick them or don’t.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:01 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm
There’s a clear difference between a player that has dived with no contact made to that where contact was made.

Contact was made and the only way a free kick is given in football is if you go down and play act. The clip shows the ref was gonna do nowt until he saw him on the deck.

It’s a contact sport blah blah blah. Well yes but not when you kick an opponent instead of the ball. There is no allowance in how hard you kick them or don’t.
Whether or not the referee was going to give a free kick, Babel was clearly mocking the theatrics and not questioning a decision.

I’m only surprised that we’ve not seen players doing something like that before, with all of the rolling around and **** poor acting / cheating.

The last thing anyone would do, if they’d actually hurt themselves would be to roll around.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 am

DCWat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:01 am
Whether or not the referee was going to give a free kick, Babel was clearly mocking the theatrics and not questioning a decision.

I’m only surprised that we’ve not seen players doing something like that before, with all of the rolling around and **** poor acting / cheating.

The last thing anyone would do, if they’d actually hurt themselves would be to roll around.
Mocking someone who dived without contact is perfectly fine imo. But he fouled him and free kicks ain’t given when players stay on their feet. He rolled about to make sure he got it. I don’t see that as cheating personally as he was actually fouled. Like I said without any contact being made then he’s free to mock him because he would be cheating.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:21 am

Dyched wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 am
Mocking someone who dived without contact is perfectly fine imo. But he fouled him and free kicks ain’t given when players stay on their feet. He rolled about to make sure he got it. I don’t see that as cheating personally as he was actually fouled. Like I said without any contact being made then he’s free to mock him because he would be cheating.
So you don’t think it’s cheating to exaggerate your fall or pretend that you are injured ?
It’s trying to deceive the referee and I’d change the law that where a player does this it’s a yellow card and a foul to the other team - irrespective of whether it was a foul in the first place.
Contact does not always equate to a foul and too many players are trying to deceive officials into giving free kicks. If it’s foul and a player is impeded then he’ll get a foul - or maybe he won’t if the referee misses it or does not think the contact is enough.
It’s little or no different to diving because in both cases you are trying to deceive the official.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov Sproggy

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am

TVC15 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:21 am
So you don’t think it’s cheating to exaggerate your fall or pretend that you are injured ?
It’s trying to deceive the referee and I’d change the law that where a player does this it’s a yellow card and a foul to the other team - irrespective of whether it was a foul in the first place.
Contact does not always equate to a foul and too many players are trying to deceive officials into giving free kicks. If it’s foul and a player is impeded then he’ll get a foul - or maybe he won’t if the referee misses it or does not think the contact is enough.
It’s little or no different to diving because in both cases you are trying to deceive the official.
What do you do though? Eye for a eye, plenty do the same you just have to play the system if you don’t they will. Eg in amateur snooker without anybody overlooking if you accidentally touch a ball with your cue tip before taking the shot you own up even if your opponent as missed it, footballs completely different, as are most sports in terms of honesty.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am
What do you do though? Eye for a eye, plenty do the same you just have to play the system if you don’t they will. Eg in amateur snooker without anybody overlooking if you accidentally touch a ball with your cue tip before taking the shot you own up even if your opponent as missed it, footballs completely different, as are most sports in terms of honesty.
No one accidentally touches the ball with a cue tip in snooker, it's the ghosts of dead snookerists making you make a mistake. There's no other explanation. Even experts are baffled.
This user liked this post: alboclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am

duncandisorderly wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 am
No one accidentally touches the ball with a cue tip in snooker, it's the ghosts of dead snookerists making you make a mistake. There's no other explanation. Even experts are baffled.
In amateur snooker I have plenty of times, doubled touched especially when playing a snooker trying to hide the cue ball behind another ball, the really really soft shots.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:40 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am
I’ve said what should happen. You get booked and the other team is awarded a foul if the referee thinks you have tried to deceive him by exaggerating or diving. I don’t care that it’s subjective either as it’s already subjective. It might not cut it out altogether but it would reduce the number significantly.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 am

TVC15 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:40 am
I’ve said what should happen. You get booked and the other team is awarded a foul if the referee thinks you have tried to deceive him by exaggerating or diving. I don’t care that it’s subjective either as it’s already subjective. It might not cut it out altogether but it would reduce the number significantly.
In today’s game, nobody would be left on the pitch apart from the goalies, I get what you are saying & I agree with you, it’s so difficult for the referees (in some cases) to be 100% sure on the play acting, the referees would be in a position of guessing in the less than obvious cases which most are.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am
In amateur snooker I have plenty of times, doubled touched especially when playing a snooker trying to hide the cue ball behind another ball, the really really soft shots.
I think you only read the first dozen words or so and missed the sarcastic undertone based on your ghost history. That's probably my bad, I should have used all CAPITAL LETTERS to make sure you didn't think I was taking the **** or anything.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 am
In today’s game, nobody would be left on the pitch apart from the goalies, I get what you are saying & I agree with you, it’s so difficult for the referees (in some cases) to be 100% sure on the play acting, the referees would be in a position of guessing in the less than obvious cases which most are.
In the less obvious cases by definition they would probably not penalise them...but it’s not really any different to the subjective decision they have to make as to whether there is enough contact to justify a foul.
For the really obvious cases they would be applauded by most fans.

It’s probably an irrelevant debate as the desire to make these kind of changes just isn’t there.... and when have the rule makers ever listened to the fans ?
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 am

duncandisorderly wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 am
I think you only read the first dozen words or so and missed the sarcastic undertone based on your ghost history. That's probably my bad, I should have used all CAPITAL LETTERS to make sure you didn't think I was taking the **** or anything.
The ghost thread is a separate issue to the RB thread, I did notice everything, but I wanted to stay on track & still do in respect to the OP & the other posters commenting on the football orientated theme.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 am
The ghost thread is a separate issue to the RB thread, I did notice everything, but I wanted to stay on track & still do in respect to the OP & the other posters commenting on the football orientated theme.
You wanted to keep to the subject of football by posting about snooker?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 am
You wanted to keep to the subject of football by posting about snooker?
...and compared amateur snooker (no money involved) to pro footy (millions at stake)

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:14 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Simplest way is just to say that if there is any touch at all, it is illegal if and only if the man touched makes a total pratt of himself by rolling around pretending to have been maimed.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 am

I haven't yet seen diving or rolling around in agony in a snooker frame. Hope it happens soon!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 am

I don't really care whether it was a foul or not, it's still bloody hilarious. And I can't believe there are people on here condoning play-acting, foul or no. If the ref didn't decide it was not a foul so be it. The same people complaining that it was a foul and he had a 'right' to do it are probably the ones who think playing the ref is now officially part of the game.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:14 am
Simplest way is just to say that if there is any touch at all, it is illegal if and only if the man touched makes a total pratt of himself by rolling around pretending to have been maimed.
The ones I like are the ones where they get a slight kick on the heel and go down clutching their face. These Nancys should spend half an hour on a rugby pitch. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: dsr

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:14 am
If it is a case of watching a bunch of fannies protesting because someone brushed passed them, I’m done. It’s bad now with the play acting, but it could be a lot worse. Babel was right to mock, although if memory serves he likes a roll around too when someone has clipped him, pot kettle black comes to mind

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 am
...and compared amateur snooker (no money involved) to pro footy (millions at stake)
I never mentioned the level of football but granted the diving & rolling about is more commonplace higher the league, the simple point still stands about sport & honesty, the snooker was just a example I could have equally used playing cards when the dealer insists upon using a fresh pack with no creased card usually indicating high suits & aces, if it's the money (which I agree) lower the money which is unlikely to happen & whilst it remains "millions at stake" we all could be responsible for encouraging it, it'd take millions of people cancelling the sky & bt sport packages & not turning up on match day, you'd soon see action & a tangible difference then.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 785 times
Has Liked: 1011 times

Post by Guller Bull » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:19 am

I am surprised this hasn’t happened more often. It would be great to see our whole team go down and roll around on mass when someone like a cheating diving Arsenal player play acts.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:03 am

There was contact - he was entitled to go down.

https://media.gettyimages.com/videos/ge ... 27489_0003
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan TVC15