Awkward British Problems :)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Awkward British Problems :)

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:31 am

AWKWARD BRITISH PROBLEMS:

🇬🇧Staring at your phone in silent horror until the unknown number stops ringing
🇬🇧Hearing a recording of your own voice and deciding it’s perhaps best never to speak again
🇬🇧The relief when someone doesn’t answer their phone within three rings and you can hang up
🇬🇧Filming an entire fireworks display on your phone, knowing full well you’ll never, ever watch it again
🇬🇧 Mishearing somebody’s name on the second time of asking, meaning you must now avoid them forever
🇬🇧 Leaving it too late to correct someone, meaning you must live with your new name forever
🇬🇧 Running out of ways to say thanks when a succession of doors are held for you, having already deployed ‘cheers’, ‘ta’ and ‘nice one’
🇬🇧 Changing from ‘kind regards’ to just ‘regards’, to indicate that you’re rapidly reaching the end of your tether
🇬🇧 Realising you’ve got about fifty grand’s worth of plastic bags under your kitchen sink
🇬🇧"You’ll have to excuse the mess” – Translation: I’ve spent seven hours tidying in preparation for your visit
🇬🇧 Indicating that you want the last roast potato by trying to force everyone else to take it
🇬🇧 "I’m off to bed” – Translation: “I’m off to stare at my phone in another part of the house”
🇬🇧 The overwhelming sorrow of finding a cup of tea you forgot about
🇬🇧 Turning down a cup of tea for no reason and instantly knowing you’ve made a terrible, terrible mistake
🇬🇧 Suddenly remembering your tea and necking it like a massive, lukewarm shot
🇬🇧 Waiting for permission to leave after paying for something with the exact change
🇬🇧 Saying hello to a friend in the supermarket, then creeping around like a burglar to avoid seeing them again
🇬🇧 Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested
🇬🇧 Being unable to pay for something with the exact change without saying “I think that’s right”
🇬🇧 Overtaking someone on foot and having to keep up the uncomfortably fast pace until safely over the horizon
🇬🇧 Being unable to turn and walk in the opposite direction without first taking out your phone and frowning at it
🇬🇧 Deeming it necessary to do a little jog over zebra crossings, while throwing in an apologetic mini wave
🇬🇧 Punishing people who don’t say thank you by saying “you’re welcome” as quietly as possible
🇬🇧 Loudly tapping your fingers at the cashpoint, to assure the queue that you’ve asked for money and the wait is out of your hands
🇬🇧 Looking away so violently as someone nearby enters their PIN that you accidentally dislocate your neck
🇬🇧 Being sure to start touching your bag 15 minutes before your station, so the person in the aisle seat is fully prepared for your exit
🇬🇧 Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand
🇬🇧 Having someone sit next to you on the train, meaning you’ll have to eat your crisps at home
🇬🇧 The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector
🇬🇧 The horror of someone you only half know saying: “Oh I’m getting that train too”
🇬🇧 “Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it
🇬🇧 Worrying you’ve accidentally packed 3 kilos of cocaine and a dead goat as you stroll through “Nothing to declare”
🇬🇧 Being unable to stand and leave without first saying “right”
🇬🇧 Not hearing someone for the third time, so just laughing and hoping for the best
🇬🇧 Saying “anywhere here’s fine” when the taxi’s directly outside your front door.
These 6 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Vintage Claret houseboy The Enclosure Bcap1959 Burnley1989

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Awkward British Problems :)

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:31 am

🇬🇧Hearing a recording of your own voice and deciding it’s perhaps best never to speak again
🇬🇧The relief when someone doesn’t answer their phone within three rings and you can hang up
🇬🇧Filming an entire fireworks display on your phone, knowing full well you’ll never, ever watch it again
🇬🇧 Mishearing somebody’s name on the second time of asking, meaning you must now avoid them forever
🇬🇧 Leaving it too late to correct someone, meaning you must live with your new name forever
🇬🇧 Running out of ways to say thanks when a succession of doors are held for you, having already deployed ‘cheers’, ‘ta’ and ‘nice one’
🇬🇧 Changing from ‘kind regards’ to just ‘regards’, to indicate that you’re rapidly reaching the end of your tether
🇬🇧 Realising you’ve got about fifty grand’s worth of plastic bags under your kitchen sink
🇬🇧"You’ll have to excuse the mess” – Translation: I’ve spent seven hours tidying in preparation for your visit
🇬🇧 Indicating that you want the last roast potato by trying to force everyone else to take it
🇬🇧 "I’m off to bed” – Translation: “I’m off to stare at my phone in another part of the house”
🇬🇧 Turning down a cup of tea for no reason and instantly knowing you’ve made a terrible, terrible mistake
🇬🇧 Waiting for permission to leave after paying for something with the exact change
🇬🇧 Saying hello to a friend in the supermarket, then creeping around like a burglar to avoid seeing them again
🇬🇧 Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested
🇬🇧 Being unable to pay for something with the exact change without saying “I think that’s right”
🇬🇧 Overtaking someone on foot and having to keep up the uncomfortably fast pace until safely over the horizon
🇬🇧 Being unable to turn and walk in the opposite direction without first taking out your phone and frowning at it
🇬🇧 Deeming it necessary to do a little jog over zebra crossings, while throwing in an apologetic mini wave
🇬🇧 Punishing people who don’t say thank you by saying “you’re welcome” as quietly as possible
🇬🇧 Loudly tapping your fingers at the cashpoint, to assure the queue that you’ve asked for money and the wait is out of your hands
🇬🇧 Looking away so violently as someone nearby enters their PIN that you accidentally dislocate your neck
🇬🇧 Being sure to start touching your bag 15 minutes before your station, so the person in the aisle seat is fully prepared for your exit
🇬🇧 Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand
🇬🇧 Having someone sit next to you on the train, meaning you’ll have to eat your crisps at home
🇬🇧 The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector
🇬🇧 The horror of someone you only half know saying: “Oh I’m getting that train too”
🇬🇧 “Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it
🇬🇧 Worrying you’ve accidentally packed 3 kilos of cocaine and a dead goat as you stroll through “Nothing to declare”
🇬🇧 Not hearing someone for the third time, so just laughing and hoping for the best
🇬🇧 Saying “anywhere here’s fine” when the taxi’s directly outside your front door.
And I thought Long Time Lurkers posts were ....well Long?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:57 am

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am
Did you read them all Tim Bob?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am

Having the waiter say, "Enjoy your food" and you reply with, "You too".

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am

Very amusing tbh and obviously more so because they are very true!!!
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am
Very amusing tbh and obviously more so because they are very true!!!
I thought exactly the same. :D

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am

Arriving to meet someone who greets you with 'you look flushed, have you been running?' And you haven't.

When you pay for a taxi with a note and you don't know whether to wait for change or reluctantly give it up as a tip.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am

I always find threads like this to be exclusive of our foreign born claret friends and dehumanising of other cultures.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 am

Can identify with most of the scenarios mentioned although I've never filmed an entire fireworks display, I leave stuff like that to the Mrs :D

Another one is when you ask someone for directions and even though you're a stranger in town you quickly realize you have a better idea of where you're going than the person you've just asked yet when they've finished you still head in the direction they've sent you until that person is safely out of sight and you can do a u-turn. :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL tim_noone

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 am

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am
It IS funny though.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am
I thought exactly the same. :D
The 'last roast potato' is actually me. It's my way of saying 'if you're not going to take the f*cking thing I'm having it'.

I think I have been guilty of most of these at one time or another.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 am

Taxi driver tourettes (to quote Peter Kay)
What time did you start?
What time do you finish?
Been Busy?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am
The 'last roast potato' is actually me. It's my way of saying 'if you're not going to take the f*cking thing I'm having it'.

I think I have been guilty of most of these at one time or another.
The last roast potato...its a massive problem Ian :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:48 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm
It's like the last Rolo or the last Malteser. Or when I''m about to take my last piece of meat and my wife says 'aw, give that to Charlie (the dog)'. No! No! A thousand times no! He doesn't bloody leave me any of his.
These 3 users liked this post: Steve1956 Bcap1959 Juan Tanamera

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm

My favourite one off that list Ian...
 Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested
In Len Kay's at about six years old.:)
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:00 pm

1: “I’m a bit chilly”
2: “Put a jumper on then”
1: “Yeah, I might do”

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm
 Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested
Ah Len Kay, he used to call in the Bull and Butcher, with I think his nephew on his way home from Rawtenstall. He was quite a character was Len.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:22 pm

The Enclosure wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm
Ah Len Kay, he used to call in the Bull and Butcher, with I think his nephew on his way home from Rawtenstall. He was quite a character was Len.
I have photos of myself as a young boy with some horrendous Len Kay haircuts... :lol:

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Steve1956 wrote:

I’m glad I’m British, I’ve been to around 30 different companies and met many fantastic cultures but we are certainly one in our own

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm
Not in our house its always mine ... mine I tell you... :lol: :lol: :lol: mine mine mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Steve1956 wrote:

Quoting an entire post for no good reason ;)
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat groove IanMcL

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:57 am
Did you read them all Tim Bob?
Did I F..k! :roll:

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Len Kay......that's a name from the past........ I was one of those waiting at the back for his assistant to be free, because then you knew you'd get something more modern rather than looking as if you were off to the WW1 trenches!

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:27 pm

rob63 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:05 pm
Len Kay......that's a name from the past........ I was one of those waiting at the back for his assistant to be free, because then you knew you'd get something more modern rather than looking as if you were off to the WW1 trenches!
Thats something i always do in the barbers,calculate by no of customers to the barbers to see which im going to get,then think f++k me is it worth waiting for :D
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL Juan Tanamera

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:03 pm
Did I F..k! :roll:
Knob!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm
Knob!
You missed out " Massive " you little Pr ick! :roll:

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:47 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm
Calm down you old dickhead you will give yourself a hernia :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:47 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm
Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:47 pm
Calm down you old dickhead you will give yourself a hernia :lol:

Now now girls play nicely or get yourselves a room ;)

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:47 pm
Now now girls play nicely or get yourselves a room ;)
Meeting him later,im sure he will be a lot nicer to me when we are having a cuddle :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Someone bumps into you and it's you who apologises.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:38 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Not Steve...

He just glares at the offender and utters his favourite insult....

Knob!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sorry!

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 pm
Sorry!
No it's my fault Ian

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:04 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm
No it's my fault Ian
Not at all Volvo

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Walking out of a supermarket without buying anything and you feel like a guilty shoplifter!

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Jakubclaret doesn't even go into the supermarket
See Tesco thread. 😁

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Jakubclaret doesn't even go into the supermarket
See Tesco thread. 😁
:lol:

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm

bfcjg wrote:

That's a typical Canadian trait, we do have a reputation of being polite, probably over-polite at times. :lol:

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Police car appears behind you, as you are driving along.
Immediate thoughts... insurance, yes, mot, yes, driving at right speed yes...then you spend the time indicating your every intention,well in advance, until they have had enough of a laugh and turn off!
This user liked this post: Vintage Claret

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Steve1956 wrote:

A log in to like.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Ha ha!
Done that, and why did Len, Dennis and Les always smell of beer?
:lol: :lol:

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm
Ha ha!
Done that, and why did Len, Dennis and Les always smell of beer?
:lol: :lol:
Hmmm Juan, do you need 3 guesses?

See the post on the Bull & Butcher & evening & substitute that with the Crown & lunchtime :D
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 am

Some great ones, there Steve.

Another one: peeing against the side of the toilet bowl to avoid any sound remotely like urine hitting water when there’s a good looking girl in the room next door who knows you’re in the toilet because you’ve just told her.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:28 am

Holmeclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 am
Some great ones, there Steve.

Another one: peeing against the side of the toilet bowl to avoid any sound remotely like urine hitting water when there’s a good looking girl in the room next door who knows you’re in the toilet because you’ve just told her.
Even more embarrassing if you've had a stinky number 2 & she goes in after you've left the room.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 am

Aye, that too.
It all tends to wear off a bit once you’ve wed the lass.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 am

Holmeclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 am
Aye, that too.
It all tends to wear off a bit once you’ve wed the lass.
The glade is a must have accessory in the early stages until the novelty wears off that’s for sure, unless you don’t like her or want distance maxing out on the vindaloo is a sure fire winner.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:04 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am
I always find threads like this to be exclusive of our foreign born claret friends and dehumanising of other cultures.
Same! (And then I just think f**k 'em!!!)

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:35 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:28 am
Even more embarrassing if you've had a stinky number 2 & she goes in after you've left the room.
VIPOO thats what it was invented for.....

https://youtu.be/qxaNMe8oDE8

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 am

Sitting and complaining to your other half about your meal in a restaurant then saying ‘lovely thanks’ when the waiter/waitress asks ‘everything ok with your meal?’