Aaron Lennon and phil bardsley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Aaron Lennon and phil bardsley

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Both worth another contract
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Blackburn_Claret

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Re: Aaron Lennon and phil bardsley

Post by burnley007 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:57 pm

probably.
but depends if they are happy as bit part players

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Absolutely agree, both should be happy to still be in the premier league playing a bit part due to age. Bardsley is rock solid, and Lennon comes on and runs 1000mph

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm

We need a new first choice RB so with Bardsley out of contract replacing him seems the best option. Nowt against Bardsley and if Lowton left Id happily have him as back up for another season.

Similar with Lennon in that we need to let one of him or Brady go and try to improve the squad so its just which one and happy to keep one of them at the club

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:27 pm

I know we on a crest of a wave and things are as good as it gets right now! But I don’t get keeping Lennon on at all he’s been very poor for us on the whole. Bardsley of course but not Lennon it’s each to there own but I would of loved someone to say that prior to this run regarding lennon.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Not sure I agree. Bardsley has done well for us though but we need a young RB. Lennon and Brady need upgrading.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Lennon's yellow after just coming on shows he still wants to get stuck in
These 2 users liked this post: Blackburnclaret Bosscat

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 pm

I certainly wouldn’t give Lennon another contract. Based on what exactly? Younger option please. Bardsley might be worth another year as a back up if we sign a younger right back too.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco claretgimmer

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Blackburnclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:50 pm
Definitley bro

mill hill claret

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm
Definitley bro
👍👍👍👍

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Barnsley yes please
Lennon no thanks........ We need to improve on fringe players.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Bardsley yes, Lennon no.

If we want someone to run around with stuff all end product, Ian Moore may still be available.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm

1million % need a first choice right back so that probably means Bardsley making way.

mill hill claret

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm

I think Lennon gets a lot of unfair criticism...he has never let us down when called upon ...still has plenty to offer ..still has pace and always gives 100%
Last edited by mill hill claret on Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Blackburnclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm
I think Lennon gets a lot of unfair criticism...he has never let us down when called upon ...still has plenty to offer ..still has pace and ALWAYS gives 100%
And his crosses are always on the button. Pity it's on someone's shirt button sat in row Z
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Hate to disagree but we can do a lot better than Lennon, Bardsley might be worth another year if he can keep at these levels

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Lennon made a terrific run to pull the CB out of position enough to open it up for McNeills goal

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I’d definitely renew Lennon’s deal. I think he’s a different option in that he’s good defensively but also has pace and works hard. Right foot and offers something different. Brady is the wide player I’d be looking to move on. Have a feeling both will leave though.

We need to improve at right back, for me, so although Bardsley’s been a great servant, I’d be looking for an upgrade at season’s end.
Last edited by fungus_the_bogeyman on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm

burnley007 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:57 pm
probably.
but depends if they are happy as bit part players
I'm not sure bardsley (at the moment) is a "bit part" player.... I think he is our best right back.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:45 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm
Lennon made a terrific run to pull the CB out of position enough to open it up for McNeills goal
Inimitable, I take it back then.

Lennon offers pace, nothing else. His record proves it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Fair play to Bardsley, he's kept himself really fit for his age. Hope he stays on.
Lennon? Not sure we get full value from him, but he is fast.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Bardsley definitely worth a contract he is what Burnley are all about
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Keep both and bring in a young player who could go on to play at either right back or right midfield ( depending on how they develop ). The team doesn't suffer any disruption and the new incoming would have time to adjust, improve their game and nail down their best position.

Doing that could get us a player with a touch more flexibility. Someone that isn't ready to hit the ground running would also be a significantly cheaper than a young starter ( that would probably be outside of our price bracket ). They might also command a lower wage and be more open to the prospect of less game time.

Alexis Saelemaekers would have ticked that box very well and a year would have given us time to improve his physicality a touch, but he went to AC Milan in the last window for a 3m loan fee and another 3m to make it permanent :(

I think we currently have two open spaces in the squad so we don't really need to move anyone on to bring in a couple of youngsters that could be ready in a year or so. Our Summer business could revolve around replacing Gibson, Hendrick and Vydra ( depending on how they see their futures with us ).

We only had a small amount of essential business to do in the last Summer window and we fell well short of putting in a satisfactory performance. Having a fairly solid core, from the business we have done in previous windows, has given us a little bit of protection from the downward performance curve of our recruitment. However, we can't carry on expecting the old guard to keep saving our bacon.

The recruitment team need to step up their game, but I don't have any confidence in the ability of Rigg to mastermind a large scale rebuild that involves 5 or 6 players. He has been in that position three times before ( not counting the billion he largely wasted when he had a blank cheque book to build city a new squad ) and he has made a complete mess of it every time.

His time with us hasn't shown anything to suggest that he can move beyond his consistently poor performance record and the less work we give him to do in the next window the better. Having three players with their futures somewhat up in the air is probably more than enough for him to cope with. Adding in the need for a new starting right back and a new winger is asking far to much of him. Giving him the free reign to formulate a large rebuild strategy would be a recipe for disaster, given our finances.

The problem with going after young players that we can develop over a year or two is that Rigg is the living epitomy of Barcelona not Burnley ( Brentford ). The primary targets we were linked with in the last two windows ( who ticked the box for ability, but not availability or affordability ) were very indicative of rudimentary surface scouting. Those players were analytical headline grabbers that everyone ( not just clubs ) was well aware of. As a predictable consequence they all carried multiple price premium points and low availability characteristics. Common sense should have ruled them all out as unrealistic targets.

As it was we wasted time chasing them, missed out, and filled three vacant slots with older players. Given the price of proven strikers Jay was understandable ( although what could be seen as £10m write off over his contract wasn't ideal ), but we should have bolstered his signing with two youngsters. Signing Browhill in the last window was a very fortunate conflux of favourable circumstances that allowed us to partially correct that.

In respect to our recent transfer activity I'm not sure we have the creative analytical flair that is needed to identify under the radar players or players that once showed great promise, but have subsequently failed to live up to it for some reason. Brentford seem to be very good at doing both of those things, unearthing new talent and finding players that have slipped under the radar as a consequence of some factor that can be identified, addressed and corrected to get them back on track.

Sorting out our three " up in the air " players, and bringring in a solid backup for Pope if Hart should leave us, is more than enough work to be getting on with. BPF could be that man, but I'm not confident about putting our Premier League status in the hands of a player with half a Championship season to his credit, who lost his place at Leeds, couldn't win it back and then threw his toys out of the pram. Mercer will no doubt know if BPF has what it takes to be a solid backup for Pope or whether it is something we need to address in the next window. Hopefully, BPF is ticking all the right boxes.

On top of that, two quality players for the future, who are above development level but aren't immediate Premiership starters, and a new Technical Director. Three relatively poor transfer windows, and judging by the recent article by Butterworth - no clear strategy going forward, is enough. We can't afford a " give me more time and more money, I will get it right next time " Technical Director. As a possible replacement, we could look at Sven Mislintat if VfB Stuttgart don't win promotion this season ( his contract with them is scheduled to end in 2021 if I'm not mistaken ).

Yup, I know I am critical of Rigg, but having a productive Technical Director is hugely important. It can be the difference between progression and stagnation on the pitch and financial success or failure off the pitch. I'm not trying to deny that recruitment is difficult,it is. However, we are paying people good money on the basis that they have what it takes to step up to the plate and overcome that difficulty.

We sign players on the expectation that they have what it takes to perform in a challenging environment and we reward them well for doing that. If they don't meet that expectation then we look to replace them. I can't see why it should be any different for the head of our recruitment. I don't think Rigg would have reservations about showing an underforming player the door if the shoe was on the other foot, because the club and the team should always come first.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Blackburnclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:50 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what a contrary msg Board

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 pm
I certainly wouldn’t give Lennon another contract. Based on what exactly? Younger option please. Bardsley might be worth another year as a back up if we sign a younger right back too.
Based on not having a player that’s got his experience while being happy to be part of the squad not the eleven.

Some spurs fans I was with the other night rave about Lennon. Granted he’s not their level now. But they were saying they need experienced backup like him in other positions like they had with Llorente.

Someone who’s a good egg. Good player. Experienced. And not going to complain at not starting.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Keep both and bring in a young player who could go on to play at either right back or right midfield ( depending on how they develop ). The team doesn't suffer any disruption and the new incoming would have time to adjust, improve their game and nail down their best position.

Doing that could get us a player with a touch more flexibility. Someone that isn't ready to hit the ground running would also be a significantly cheaper than a young starter ( that would probably be outside of our price bracket ). They might also command a lower wage and be more open to the prospect of less game time.

Alexis Saelemaekers would have ticked that box very well and a year would have given us time to improve his physicality a touch, but he went to AC Milan in the last window for a 3m loan fee and another 3m to make it permanent :(

I think we currently have two open spaces in the squad so we don't really need to move anyone on to bring in a couple of youngsters that could be ready in a year or so. Our Summer business could revolve around replacing Gibson, Hendrick and Vydra ( depending on how they see their futures with us ).

We only had a small amount of essential business to do in the last Summer window and we fell well short of putting in a satisfactory performance. Having a fairly solid core, from the business we have done in previous windows, has given us a little bit of protection from the downward performance curve of our recruitment. However, we can't carry on expecting the old guard to keep saving our bacon.

The recruitment team need to step up their game, but I don't have any confidence in the ability of Rigg to mastermind a large scale rebuild that involves 5 or 6 players. He has been in that position three times before ( not counting the billion he largely wasted when he had a blank cheque book to build city a new squad ) and he has made a complete mess of it every time.

His time with us hasn't shown anything to suggest that he can move beyond his consistently poor performance record and the less work we give him to do in the next window the better. Having three players with their futures somewhat up in the air is probably more than enough for him to cope with. Adding in the need for a new starting right back and a new winger is asking far to much of him. Giving him the free reign to formulate a large rebuild strategy would be a recipe for disaster, given our finances.

The problem with going after young players that we can develop over a year or two is that Rigg is the living epitomy of Barcelona not Burnley ( Brentford ). The primary targets we were linked with in the last two windows ( who ticked the box for ability, but not availability or affordability ) were very indicative of rudimentary surface scouting. Those players were analytical headline grabbers that everyone ( not just clubs ) was well aware of. As a predictable consequence they all carried multiple price premium points and low availability characteristics. Common sense should have ruled them all out as unrealistic targets.

As it was we wasted time chasing them, missed out, and filled three vacant slots with older players. Given the price of proven strikers Jay was understandable ( although what could be seen as £10m write off over his contract wasn't ideal ), but we should have bolstered his signing with two youngsters. Signing Browhill in the last window was a very fortunate conflux of favourable circumstances that allowed us to partially correct that.

In respect to our recent transfer activity I'm not sure we have the creative analytical flair that is needed to identify under the radar players or players that once showed great promise, but have subsequently failed to live up to it for some reason. Brentford seem to be very good at doing both of those things, unearthing new talent and finding players that have slipped under the radar as a consequence of some factor that can be identified, addressed and corrected to get them back on track.

Sorting out our three " up in the air " players, and bringring in a solid backup for Pope if Hart should leave us, is more than enough work to be getting on with. BPF could be that man, but I'm not confident about putting our Premier League status in the hands of a player with half a Championship season to his credit, who lost his place at Leeds, couldn't win it back and then threw his toys out of the pram. Mercer will no doubt know if BPF has what it takes to be a solid backup for Pope or whether it is something we need to address in the next window. Hopefully, BPF is ticking all the right boxes.

On top of that, two quality players for the future, who are above development level but aren't immediate Premiership starters, and a new Technical Director. Three relatively poor transfer windows, and judging by the recent article by Butterworth - no clear strategy going forward, is enough. We can't afford a " give me more time and more money, I will get it right next time " Technical Director. As a possible replacement, we could look at Sven Mislintat if VfB Stuttgart don't win promotion this season ( his contract with them is scheduled to end in 2021 if I'm not mistaken ).

Yup, I know I am critical of Rigg, but having a productive Technical Director is hugely important. It can be the difference between progression and stagnation on the pitch and financial success or failure off the pitch. I'm not trying to deny that recruitment is difficult,it is. However, we are paying people good money on the basis that they have what it takes to step up to the plate and overcome that difficulty.

We sign players on the expectation that they have what it takes to perform in a challenging environment and we reward them well for doing that. If they don't meet that expectation then we look to replace them. I can't see why it should be any different for the head of our recruitment. I don't think Rigg would have reservations about showing an underforming player the door if the shoe was on the other foot, because the club and the team should always come first.
Could you expand on that a little please?
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Absolutely agree, both should be happy to still be in the premier league playing a bit part due to age. Bardsley is rock solid, and Lennon comes on and runs 1000mph
Bardley well worth another season. Very solid and makes key interceptions.

Lennon works like horse when he comes on and his speed is amazing considering his age. Shame he has no end product though.

Still, he's a much better option than your mate Brady, who just comes on and continually loses the ball through trying to be far cleverer than he is.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:26 pm
Still, he's a much better option than your mate Brady, who just comes on and continually loses the ball through trying to be far cleverer than he is.
Don’t worry he’s definitely not a mate! He’s been very poor since the injury, and some of the time before it. I have a bad feeling Brady will be the one to stay as he was so expensive and relatively young still. Lennon is a better option though due to pace. He came on up front today and was great.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:17 pm

TBF Lennon needs to go to free up wages and space for incoming. Same with Brady with knobs on, as he really isn't up to PL standard and I'd also be letting Bardsley go and replacing him with the next Charlie Taylor. He must be out there somewhere!!

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 pm

If all Lennon can offer is a 5 minute cameo then it's time to go, admittedly today a decent 5 minutes. Hes had his best days.
Let's not get sentimental, Bardsley doesn't let us down but let's progress.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Take off the claret and blue specs - even worse after a win
Lennon offers pretty much nothing
Plus we have to replace either Lowton or Bardsley