ARTICLE: Blackburn next as massive crowd sees big win

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

ARTICLE: Blackburn next as massive crowd sees big win

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 am

Back to 1960 and our FA Cup replay against Bradford City

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/blackburn- ... es-big-win

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Re: ARTICLE: Blackburn next as massive crowd sees big win

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:31 pm

Didn't get to this one. A school night and still a couple of months away from my 8th birthday. Really buoyed by Saturday's fightback so I don't think anyone in our house expected anything other than a win. Some amazing stories of traffic congestion for this game from people who lived closer to Burnley than we did in Haslingden. Again, we've got some great pictures and reports from the game in our scrapbook with plenty more to look forward to in the next couple of months.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm

I was on this match, having been to Bradford for the first game. This was Burnley at their best, Mac pulling the strings, Pointer, Connelly and Robson making the pacy runs in all directions and scoring goals. A joy to watch.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:14 pm

My dad’s mate was turned back by the police at Colne. He was told the ground was already full.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:19 pm

In those days, being a twelve year old, I used to get on an hour before kick off, in order to get to my spot at the front of the Beehole End, so I never realised there were all kinds of problems outside the ground with massive crowds trying to get to
the turnstiles .
I think it was the year after I felt old enough to stand on the Cricket Field terraces with my mates.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7173 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Increased gate prices or rather no concessions, but it still worked out at less than three bob each. I wonder how much just less than 15 pence is in today's money.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 pm

I was just 15 at the time and I remember the huge crowd that night but I also remember arriving at the ground and having just enough cash on me to get in...the powers that be had decided , without giving anybody the heads up , not to provide juvenile turnstiles so loads of my mates didn't get in .My late dad went to the match with two of his mates and as they were queuing to get in they became aware of the large number of youngsters wandering about who hadn't brought enough cash with them .They gave up all their loose cash to help as many as they could .I'm sure they weren't the only ones who did this .

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:05 pm

My dad was disgusted at the decision to charge full price for boys (and girls probably). He said that people were having a whip round to help disappointed kids gain admission.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 pm

What an appalling way to treat your young fans. Awful enough raising the prices but not telling anyone until it was too late in some cases was shocking.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:19 pm
In those days, being a twelve year old, I used to get on an hour before kick off, in order to get to my spot at the front of the Beehole End, so I never realised there were all kinds of problems outside the ground with massive crowds trying to get to
the turnstiles .
I think it was the year after I felt old enough to stand on the Cricket Field terraces with my mates.
All comes out in the next article about the prices

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:09 pm
All comes out in the next article about the prices
Along with another surprise from a certain R.W.Lord!
I remember the that evening very well mainly due to the enormous crowd the like of which I had never seen before. Walking up Ormerod Rd with my dad, it was obvious that there was going to be a huge crowd. It was even busier along Leyland Rd and when we got to the ground, the queues at the turnstiles were so long, I did wonder if we might not get in at all.
The noise when the Burnely players ran out was deafening and the Bradford supporters made sure they were heard as well.
What a night!