Gordaleman and the other 'keepers ........

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Gordaleman and the other 'keepers ........

Post by Bullabill » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 am

Can you please explain to me what's happening when we see a keeper setting his wall for a free kick ? It seems to be an exercise in millimetre precision and I wonder why he doesn't just plonk another man on the outside edge.
I remember watching Brian Jensen setting a wall at Craven Cottage, having the defenders budge up a bit, this way and that. It was clear (from the TV pics) that the post wasn't covered and when the free kick was taken by Bobby Zamora it was driven straight as a die just above the ground into the goal. No bend, no swerve, absolutely straight.
There has to be more in this that I don't understand - please educate me.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32413 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Re: Gordaleman and the other 'keepers ........

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am

He's not just going to plonk another on the wall, he has to have his wall placed while also being in a position where he can see what's going on. There was one on the Turf on Saturday that I didn't spot at the time but saw back on TV when Pope took position at one post then the other and then in the middle to ensure he had his wall just where he wanted it.

And yes, I remember the one at Fulham which was just down to the wall not covering an area because it hadn't been positioned correctly.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am

Bullabill, the thing I don't understand is why the refs give teams time to build a wall at all. Why aren't teams allowed to take a quick free kick as they often do on other parts of the pitch? It would certainly speed the game up and probably result in a lot more goals. Defenders would certainly have to get ready quickly.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
Bullabill, the thing I don't understand is why the refs give teams time to build a wall at all. Why aren't teams allowed to take a quick free kick as they often do on other parts of the pitch? It would certainly speed the game up and probably result in a lot more goals. Defenders would certainly have to get ready quickly.
Agree with this. An inordinate amount of time is taken from the game as free kicks become something akin to an event. In fact any deadball kick takes up time from goal kicks, corners through to penalties. At the end of the first half on Saturday one minute was added on and it must have took more than that for their goal celebration and then VAR.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:29 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am
He's not just going to plonk another on the wall, he has to have his wall placed while also being in a position where he can see what's going on.
Thanks, Tony. That's the closest to an answer to the question I asked but I can't understand how a few millimetres can be that vital.
As to the other points, I agree that far too much time is allowed for free kicks requiring a wall - the team offended against is being disadvantaged. If they were allowed to take the kicks in the manner that applies in the rest of the pitch there would be far fewer attackers being hacked down around the penalty area and defenders would have to defend properly. And regarding free kicks generally, I believe that when a free kick is awarded, any player preventing that kick from being taken quickly should receive a yellow card. Players know that they are not allowed to be closer than ten yards and should be penalised. A few yellows would soon stop the practice and would allow the game to flow.
As a point of comparison, in Australian Rules Football (AFL) any offence of that sort immediately attracts the penalty (and it's rigidly enforced) of the play being moved fifty metres down field.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 am

Bullabill wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:29 am
As a point of comparison, in Australian Rules Football (AFL) any offence of that sort immediately attracts the penalty (and it's rigidly enforced) of the play being moved fifty metres down field.
What a good idea. Apart from anything else, there are players in the Premier League for whom moving the ball 50 metres forward would put it into row Z of the stand - which is where they were going to kick it to anyway! ;)

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:50 am

We always used to position the wall half a player past the far stick. So basically if you can bend it around him and in about 2 ft you deserve a goal. As a keeper, you'd then stand one pace to the left (or right) of your player at the central end of the wall. This would give you full vision and coverage of both the gap that the wall isn't covering, and the ability to get across if the taker tries to get it up and over the wall.

Probably considered very "eighties" goalkeeping these days.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:36 am

There was debate last season about whether or not a wall was needed for free kicks that were further out. The idea being the ‘keeper sees the ball all the way and has time to react. You might get the taking team making their own wall, l suppose.