Barrow FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Barrow FC

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Just had a quick look at the National League table (when did it stop being the Conference anyway) to see if Barrow are still top and there they are, looking odds on for a return to the football league nearly 50 years after they lost their place. Now I think this is a good news story and a great bit of news for the North West (the very far North West :lol: ). Barrow have a long history and their (hopeful) return should be a bit of a boost for an area mostly forgotten by the rest of the world. I just hope they don't replace Morecambe, who aren't too good just now.

Incidentally what the hell has happened to Fylde FC? Play-off finalists last season and now second bottom and looking set for relegation (9 points from safety at the moment). It can't just have been the loss of their manager that has caused this. Great ground too. I imagine Haythornthwaite is slowly going into severe depression at the moment considering the money he has alledgedly put into his baby.

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Re: Barrow FC

Post by claretburns » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:49 pm

They have done really well all season, there used to be a Non-League channel on YouTube which covered all the stories but I can't seem to find it anymore which is a shame. As well as Barrow I hope Halifax end the season well too to get back into the Football League. I don't think Morecambe are in any danger, 9 points clear of Stevenage who are bottom, they should be safe.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:03 pm

claretburns wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:49 pm
They have done really well all season, there used to be a Non-League channel on YouTube which covered all the stories but I can't seem to find it anymore which is a shame. As well as Barrow I hope Halifax end the season well too to get back into the Football League. I don't think Morecambe are in any danger, 9 points clear of Stevenage who are bottom, they should be safe.
I looked at Stevenage the other day and Morecambe do look safe but why is there only one relegation place? Is it because of the Bury situation? I guess an extra one is going to be shunted up out of League 2?

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1185 times

Post by 4:20 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:27 pm

I watched a recent Tifo Football video on them. Barrowcelona! They are having a remarkable season..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJkv2ZsiJ4&t

bareclaret
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by bareclaret » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:37 pm

The position is that in League 1 3 clubs will be relegated with 4 being promoted from League 2, which brings the number back to 24 clubs. In League 2 only 1 club is being relegated with 2 form the National league promoted - again bringing the numbers back to 24. As to the National League, it does not appear to be sorted out with them still showing 4 clubs being relegated. which with only 1 EFL club coming down, would leave them with 23 clubs, I assume they will make a decision soon, as it impacts all the way down the pyramid.
This user liked this post: houseboy

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:45 pm

There was talk of allowing Bury into the national league thus making it back up to 24. This is why I assumed that 4 were still going to get relegated. All has gone quiet on that though and I don’t even think the national league know what they are going to do. The Bury situation is more to do with politics it seems with MPs and the Manchester mayor throwing their weight around so who knows what will happen.

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:02 pm

One that I would love to get drawn at in the cup

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:45 pm
There was talk of allowing Bury into the national league thus making it back up to 24. This is why I assumed that 4 were still going to get relegated. All has gone quiet on that though and I don’t even think the national league know what they are going to do. The Bury situation is more to do with politics it seems with MPs and the Manchester mayor throwing their weight around so who knows what will happen.
Bury AFC are going into the North West Counties. Very unlikely that Bury, the former league club, ever playing again.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:45 pm
When you look at the National League it is still showing the dotted line above the bottom 4 so obviously there is some kind of uncertainty. As has been pointed out this impacts all the way down the pyramid. Bit of a nightmare really because as the financial situation stands there may be more Burys in the not too distant.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 730 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm

claretburns wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:49 pm
Stevenage have been bloody hopeless all season and will definitely be playing National League football next season. The worst pool of players I've seen down there in 20 years despite being the biggest squad in that time.

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I can just about remember Barrow as a league club.They were voted out in 1972 very rarely were clubs voted out due to old pals act as it was all the other chairmen with casting votes but what I didn't know until recently Barrow finished third from bottom of the fourth division ( the bottom four clubs had to seek reelection) and by all accounts no body liked to play at Barrow due to it being a hard place to get to for most clubs

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm
Just had a quick look at the National League table (when did it stop being the Conference anyway) to see if Barrow are still top and there they are, looking odds on for a return to the football league nearly 50 years after they lost their place. Now I think this is a good news story and a great bit of news for the North West (the very far North West :lol: ). Barrow have a long history and their (hopeful) return should be a bit of a boost for an area mostly forgotten by the rest of the world. I just hope they don't replace Morecambe, who aren't too good just now.

Incidentally what the hell has happened to Fylde FC? Play-off finalists last season and now second bottom and looking set for relegation (9 points from safety at the moment). It can't just have been the loss of their manager that has caused this. Great ground too. I imagine Haythornthwaite is slowly going into severe depression at the moment considering the money he has alledgedly put into his baby.
AFC Fylde. Lost the whole spine of their team in the summer to league clubs. Haythornthwaite is not a popular guy on the Fylde. Read the reviews on glass ceiling about working for their parent company, Tangerine Holdings. Pitch in terrible condition as someone with a gripe blocked the drainage system with a brick wrapped in a towel. Can’t see them staying up from this position. Notts county at H tonight...must win

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Ian Evatt seems to be doing a fantastic job there - I can never remember them being anywhere near a return to the Football League in all the time they've been away.

I wonder if he (Evatt) is on Blackpool's radar given his connections - or whether that would be too much of a stretch on the back of one good season at Holker Street.

Either way - really hope Barrow make it back - it's an under-represented part of the country since Workington were similarly relegated from the League just a few years later.

EK Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by EK Claret » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 pm

I have always had a soft spot for them, they are really doing well for the first time in years or as long as I can remember looking at their status , would love to see them win at Horwich next season

#ten years ahead

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Ptangyangkipperbang wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 pm
I can just about remember Barrow as a league club.They were voted out in 1972 very rarely were clubs voted out due to old pals act as it was all the other chairmen with casting votes but what I didn't know until recently Barrow finished third from bottom of the fourth division ( the bottom four clubs had to seek reelection) and by all accounts no body liked to play at Barrow due to it being a hard place to get to for most clubs
Gateshead / South Shields (they changed their name at some point) got stiffed the same way. Too far away, vote them out.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:37 am

Marney&Mee wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm
AFC Fylde. Lost the whole spine of their team in the summer to league clubs. Haythornthwaite is not a popular guy on the Fylde. Read the reviews on glass ceiling about working for their parent company, Tangerine Holdings. Pitch in terrible condition as someone with a gripe blocked the drainage system with a brick wrapped in a towel. Can’t see them staying up from this position. Notts county at H tonight...must win
I've actually spoken with Haythornthwaite, I used to do business with Tangerine, he's a very abrupt sort of chap. Last night's game was postponed due to waterlogged pitch so I guess that backs up what you said about the pitch. I was hoping last season that they would win the play-off final but at the time I questioned whether the Fylde coast could sustain 3 football clubs - such a weird thing if they had done it. 3 clubs in such a small area where they struggle to sustain one (Blackpool). However hats off to Joey Barton, he's doing a fantastic job at Fleetwood - a point at Sunderland last night keeps them right in the mix for playing the barstewards next season.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 am

And Fleetwood only conceded the equaliser right at the end of stoppage time

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 am
I was listening to an interview with Joey last week on Radio Lancs. He sounds really happy and in a good place. So glad he's enjoying management - he was always a winner so his enthusiasm must be rubbing off. It was only after he joined us that it made me think what a glittering career he could have had if he hadn't behaved the way he did earlier in his career. He was skillfull, determined and a born leader when with us, how much more could he have done given the right management (hats off the Sean Dyche there). However what is done is done and we can't change the past, but I'm certain that one day he will get a crack at a bigger club and all credit to him if he does.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 am
I believe Sunderland have scored more than their fair share of goals already.this season in added on time. I was following the scores on my phone last night and wasn't that surprised when I saw an equaliser for Sunderland in the 97 th minute.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:57 am

I happened to be in attendance at he Stadium of Light last night. Fleetwood are very well organised and it looks very much like that Barton has adopted Sean's framework plan when out of possession. In possession they are different gravy and like to knock it around on the floor for the most part.

Sunderland run around a lot but look like they are a bunch of third tier triers with not much up front. Their crowd have to be the biggest set of moaners of all time.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:38 pm
Gateshead / South Shields (they changed their name at some point) got stiffed the same way. Too far away, vote them out.
DSR Gateshead is nearer than Newcastle (just) and has nothing to do with South Shields apart from being on the south bank of the Tyne

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm
DSR Gateshead is nearer than Newcastle (just) and has nothing to do with South Shields apart from being on the south bank of the Tyne
Yes, but the Gateshead FC that went out of the league in 1960 had previously been South Shields FC until they moved in 1930. (And the replacement club, South Shields FC formed in 1936, also moved to Gateshead to become Gateshead United in 1974 before going bust 3 years later. The current Gateshead FC is the first of the three to be formed in Gateshead).
This user liked this post: ralphdpomeroy

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Was aware they are top of the league. Living these days near Kirkby Stephen I get BBC TV North and Cumbria. Not a single mention of them in 3 years on the regional TV. is Barrow in Cumbria? I thought so! All Toon, Maccams, Boro, Carlise, Pools and Harrogate. Do they get on northwest local news? otherwise they are falling between the cracks. If they get promoted to the EFL will anyone cover it?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:34 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm
Was aware they are top of the league. Living these days near Kirkby Stephen I get BBC TV North and Cumbria. Not a single mention of them in 3 years on the regional TV. is Barrow in Cumbria? I thought so! All Toon, Maccams, Boro, Carlise, Pools and Harrogate. Do they get on northwest local news? otherwise they are falling between the cracks. If they get promoted to the EFL will anyone cover it?
I think it comes under West Cumbria if memory serves. 3 of the lads in the band were Cumbrians, from Whitehaven, and Barrow is sort of down the same coast, at the bottom. Nice days out for Carlisle and Morecambe fans if they make it.

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:36 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm
Tut tut Mr D :roll:

ralphdpomeroy

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm
Yes, but the Gateshead FC that went out of the league in 1960 had previously been South Shields FC until they moved in 1930. (And the replacement club, South Shields FC formed in 1936, also moved to Gateshead to become Gateshead United in 1974 before going bust 3 years later. The current Gateshead FC is the first of the three to be formed in Gateshead).
Correct ...

ralphdpomeroy

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm
Been on both North West tonight and Granada since Christmas - we are obviously still laying claim to that part of the world

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Tbh I think you're welcome to Barrow.....

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Maybe don't get the coverage from BBC N.E. because they are still registered as a Lancashire FA club.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 am

The Bury expulsion will go all the way down to tier 10, their new home.
So only 3 down from NL.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:56 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm
Well thanks for that DSR-so we are both right :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me only on geography but you on both geography and football clubs of Gateshead and South Shields. Does that history make S Shields Adelaide (yes I have looked it all up now) the first franchise club or one of the first? The story doesn't read any different from Wimbledon and MK Dons does it?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm

ralphdpomeroy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:36 pm
Tutfa tut Mr D :roll:
Come on Ralph that statement is correct, fair dos-as Eric said, playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 pm

I always look out for Barrow results and would like to see them promoted. My grandparents lived in Barrow and we spent many a summer holiday there and the surrounding area.

ralphdpomeroy

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:11 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm
Come on Ralph that statement is correct, fair dos-as Eric said, playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aye go on then 😉😂 They had some interesting kits pre-1936 ...

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Saw a piece on tv, last year, a guy who travels over from Spain for every home match. Loyalty like that deserves a spot back in the league.

Whilst searching for the relegation data came across this. How wrong can you be?
https://www.fiveminutesspare.com/footba ... barnet-fc/