Bournemouth reality in Cherry Chimes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Bournemouth reality in Cherry Chimes

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 pm

Article from a Bournemouth blogger. A bit of realism for a change.

It could have been embarrassing at Burnley but for Ramsdale

I really don't want to keep giving man of the match choices to Aaron Ramsdale. It is hard not to though when he is often the only thing standing between Bournemouth a real hiding by some teams. The match at Burnley could have been high scoring for both teams but in the end it was bad enough at 3-0, and I'm sure it could have been much worse.
Ramsdale stretches out at Dena Court.Burnley weren't scooping many of their shots wide of the goal like Bournemouth were. They needed Ramsdale to prevent most of their shots from going in. Ramsdale is becoming too busy in games and Bournemouth are not giving him nearly enough protection. We can see that Lerma is a big miss and with Aké also out in the last match, that is a big part of the defensive unit off the pitch. But Steve Cook and Simon Francis are experienced defenders so why didn't thy look comfortable with three central midfielders in front of them?

Despite having a strong midfield and a lot of the possession, Bournemouth presented chances to Burnley more often than not. I didn't see Burnley having to play amazing football to get in with chances and Bournemouth had Ramsdale to thank rather too often. He at least, didn't go missing.

What Eddie Howe isn't doing is getting Bournemouth back to thinking enough about how good a clean sheet would be. It is all a bit gung-ho to try and win games and while wins are what Bournemouth need, the odd point in away games is no disgrace. But I don't think Bournemouth are anywhere near a level where they can get a clean sheet at the moment. That worries me.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Colburn_Claret Bosscat

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Re: Bournemouth reality in Cherry Chimes

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 pm
Article from a Bournemouth blogger. A bit of realism for a change.

It could have been embarrassing at Burnley but for Ramsdale

I really don't want to keep giving man of the match choices to Aaron Ramsdale. It is hard not to though when he is often the only thing standing between Bournemouth a real hiding by some teams. The match at Burnley could have been high scoring for both teams but in the end it was bad enough at 3-0, and I'm sure it could have been much worse.
Ramsdale stretches out at Dena Court.Burnley weren't scooping many of their shots wide of the goal like Bournemouth were. They needed Ramsdale to prevent most of their shots from going in. Ramsdale is becoming too busy in games and Bournemouth are not giving him nearly enough protection. We can see that Lerma is a big miss and with Aké also out in the last match, that is a big part of the defensive unit off the pitch. But Steve Cook and Simon Francis are experienced defenders so why didn't thy look comfortable with three central midfielders in front of them?

Despite having a strong midfield and a lot of the possession, Bournemouth presented chances to Burnley more often than not. I didn't see Burnley having to play amazing football to get in with chances and Bournemouth had Ramsdale to thank rather too often. He at least, didn't go missing.

What Eddie Howe isn't doing is getting Bournemouth back to thinking enough about how good a clean sheet would be. It is all a bit gung-ho to try and win games and while wins are what Bournemouth need, the odd point in away games is no disgrace. But I don't think Bournemouth are anywhere near a level where they can get a clean sheet at the moment. That worries me.
Could have written the same about Burnley under Eddie. The first thing SD did was sort the defence, and how it needed it.
These 7 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Bosscat Blackrod KateR Burnleyareback2 tiger76 Juan Tanamera

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Ramsdale saved Bournemouth without a doubt from an absolute drubbing.

His saves from Vyds and Jay were outstanding

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

I think Pope and Ramsdale are the two outstanding English keepers currently. Pickford is brilliant as well but seemingly prone to errors.
This user liked this post: Blackrod

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:16 pm

In his 80 league games with Burnley, Eddie saw us keep 17 clean sheets and we failed to score in 19 matches.
When Sean took over his first 79 games, all in The Championship, saw us keep 29 clean sheets and fail to scoe in 16 matches.

Eddie's 80 league games saw us score 113 goals and concede 115.
Sean's 79 league games saw us score 108 goals and concede 68.

Their PL records are similar except for goals scored and concede.
EH ----P 179 W54 D41 L84 F 227 A 308 Pts 203 Clean sheets 37
SD ---- P 179 W54 D42 L83 F 181 A 254 Pts 204 Clean sheets 50
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Strange that Pope got the plaudits on Saturday when Ramsdale was excellent all game.
Pope did make 2 good early saves though.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 pm
Could have written the same about Burnley under Eddie. The first thing SD did was sort the defence, and how it needed it.
Exactly this, I'm sure one season Charlie Austin had 20 goals by November and we were about 18th, kept losing games 3-2 and 4-3.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:26 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm
Exactly this, I'm sure one season Charlie Austin had 20 goals by November and we were about 18th, kept losing games 3-2 and 4-3.
I remember the 3-3 home game against Sheff Wednesday all too well. Austin kept putting us in front and got a hat trick but when we conceded the third equaliser a minute after he had got it..Austin was visibly annoyed.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Interesting how similar the premier league records are. When you compare the level of finance Howe has had compared with Dyche “our Eddie” is not doing so well after all!

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:05 pm

When the 'neutral' pundits praise Bournemouth's style of play they are obviously referring to the additional 100 goals (f46 a54) that AFCB games have provided for them to comment on.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm sure most Cherries fans would happily accept a couple of dour 1-0 wins just now,they are staring down the barrel,and their upcoming fixtures hardly inspire much confidence regarding putting points on the board,the saving grace for them is that's there's 4 or 5 other teams equally as poor,that alone MIGHT just ensure they survive,but it'll be tight.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 am

Points already on the board, might see them through, as you say.
Still need more though!