Diabetes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Re: Diabetes

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Rowls wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm
Who agrees that LCP needs a new username?

LoveCaulflower&Peas ? ;)
I’ve just been out walking and the same thought crossed my mind. LoveCelery sprang to mind. :lol:

I’m sure someone will suggest something wittier.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:14 pm

Back in February 2020, I posted on here about my son waiting for a double kidney/pancreas transplant. Last week the Operation was performed and it's been a tough journey for him. He's been very ill and today, they established, since the Op,he had contacted E Coli.
Now they've established why he was so ill following surgery, he hopefully will get back to a full recovery and lead a normal life. Maybe even being able to have his first normal Xmas in 30 years.
Now there's no need for my young Grandchildren to bring their dad out of Diabetic comas They were able to do that when 1 was 7 year old.
I put this message out, as a way of showing Thanks for the good things Organ Donors do, in saving people's lives and maybe encourage others to consider doing it.
These 2 users liked this post: lakedistrictclaret Quickenthetempo

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Bfc, I remember you posting your original message and wish him all the best following the surgery. Hope he is able to have a great Christmas.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Bfc. Your son has certainly been through an awful time. I really hope that things improve for him and agree it would be wonderful for him to enjoy his first normal Christmas. Organ donors are without doubt very special people and your sons life will improve as a result of their kindness. I wish your son, you and all the family all the very best.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:18 pm

Bfc wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:14 pm
Back in February 2020, I posted on here about my son waiting for a double kidney/pancreas transplant. Last week the Operation was performed and it's been a tough journey for him. He's been very ill and today, they established, since the Op,he had contacted E Coli.
Now they've established why he was so ill following surgery, he hopefully will get back to a full recovery and lead a normal life. Maybe even being able to have his first normal Xmas in 30 years.
Now there's no need for my young Grandchildren to bring their dad out of Diabetic comas They were able to do that when 1 was 7 year old.
I put this message out, as a way of showing Thanks for the good things Organ Donors do, in saving people's lives and maybe encourage others to consider doing it.
Great news.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:30 pm

I know most on here who have contributed have type 2 diabetes but as a long term type 1, who has struggled to keep control of my sugars. I just want to tell everyone who doesn't already know, just how good the Libre two blood sensor is.

It's a sensor that stays in your arm and works for 2 weeks, linking up with their app on your phone. You place your phone next to it to read your bloods as many times as you want a day. (Beats finger pricking).
It has graphs that show you exactly where your GLs have been all day (providing you test at least every 8 hours). A notes section and best of all you can set alarms for your GL going too low or high.
It's woken me up 3 times this week in the middle of the night to warn me of low blood sugars just before I would go into a hypo.

Apart from a full cure, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread for a type 1 diabetic.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Just to add it also tells you which way your GL level is going and how fast.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:30 pm
I know most on here who have contributed have type 2 diabetes but as a long term type 1, who has struggled to keep control of my sugars. I just want to tell everyone who doesn't already know, just how good the Libre two blood sensor is.

It's a sensor that stays in your arm and works for 2 weeks, linking up with their app on your phone. You place your phone next to it to read your bloods as many times as you want a day. (Beats finger pricking).
It has graphs that show you exactly where your GLs have been all day (providing you test at least every 8 hours). A notes section and best of all you can set alarms for your GL going too low or high.
It's woken me up 3 times this week in the middle of the night to warn me of low blood sugars just before I would go into a hypo.

Apart from a full cure, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread for a type 1 diabetic.
I'll second that QUICKEN. I'm in the same boat as you. Just started using it in the Summer so still getting used to it. Didn't know about the alarm calls so will look into getting that set up especially for the night-time hypos. I had one last night and despite feeling knackered when having to get up this morning I had a ridiculously high reading this morning, 4 times the normal range. I always munch excessively in night-time hypos!! can't stop myself.
Great too this meter for doing exercise where you can check as you're running if you're moving into hypo range. This always stopped me from jogging too far from home or doing too much exercise.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm
I'll second that QUICKEN. I'm in the same boat as you. Just started using it in the Summer so still getting used to it. Didn't know about the alarm calls so will look into getting that set up especially for the night-time hypos. I had one last night and despite feeling knackered when having to get up this morning I had a ridiculously high reading this morning, 4 times the normal range. I always munch excessively in night-time hypos!! can't stop myself.
Great too this meter for doing exercise where you can check as you're running if you're moving into hypo range. This always stopped me from jogging too far from home or doing too much exercise.
Are you using the librelink app on your phone to monitor everything?

If so click on alarms for low GL and set at 4 or whatever you're happy with.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Thank you for the messages of support for my son. Besides getting E Coli, he also had Pancreatitis.
Now the good news is, he's been taken out of ICU and put in a room on his own, on a ward. They've removed a lot of the wires attached to him and the medical team are really pleased with his improvement. Although he will be on medication for the rest of his life, that's a small price too pay, for leading a near normal life.
I know a lot of trials are being tested on type 1 Diabetics and my son was a guinea pig, for one of them.
Today I was able to have a phone chat with him, which lifted both our spirits. It lifted his, when I told him of the offer to buy his share😀.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm
Are you using the librelink app on your phone to monitor everything?

If so click on alarms for low GL and set at 4 or whatever you're happy with.
No, I'm still using the reader as it's the first few months but actually got my doc appointment this week so will ask about using the phone. I'm not sure how transfer the data to my profile on the site whereas with the reader I can connect it to the computer and upload all the data for the doc to see.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:01 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:49 pm
No, I'm still using the reader as it's the first few months but actually got my doc appointment this week so will ask about using the phone. I'm not sure how transfer the data to my profile on the site whereas with the reader I can connect it to the computer and upload all the data for the doc to see.
It was the diabetic nurse at Burnley hospital that showed me it all.
You just click to give permission for the East Lancs diabetic clinic to access your info on the app.

I'm sure there will be plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it if your doctor doesn't.