Sound system repairs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Sound system repairs

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am

Particularly Bose. My son in law has a ten year old Bose solo unit which has ceased to work.

Bose won't touch it because it's 10 years old, which I think is ludicrous, but have offered a discount on
a new unit. He's contacted Wilkinson's in Nelson and they won't touch it either.

Does anyone please know of anywhere that might be able to help him out. It's a good unit and sounds well
(well it did) and it seems a shame to just chuck it away.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: Sound system repairs

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am

Funkydrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am
Particularly Bose. My son in law has a ten year old Bose solo unit which has ceased to work.

Bose won't touch it because it's 10 years old, which I think is ludicrous, but have offered a discount on
a new unit. He's contacted Wilkinson's in Nelson and they won't touch it either.

Does anyone please know of anywhere that might be able to help him out. It's a good unit and sounds well
Is it a Bose wave radio CD, I've got the soundtouch but I've progressed thru all the models? What's the actual problem, not powering up?

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am
Is it a Bose wave radio CD, I've got the soundtouch but I've progressed thru all the models? What's the actual problem, not powering up?
Cheers for the reply, yes that's exactly the problem, he says in eager anticipation of a known solution coming his way :)

Oh sorry, no it's basically a more chunky version of a sound bar, I suppose is the best way to describe it.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 am

This is the unit, I'm pretty sure, found on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bose-Solo-TV ... SwhY1eUzin

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 am

I have one and it does exactly the same, works for a few days then won’t power up, if I unplug it for a few hours it will work. It’s in the loft now can’t bring myself to throw it away.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am

Obvious I know and I am sure he has checked. Internal fuse?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:17 am

From the info given it may very well be down to dry solder joints - if it’s broke anyway, then disassembling and using a soldering iron on the power circuit joints may resolve the issue, but do so at your own risk - google is your friend here along with YouTube

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am

RMutt wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am
Obvious I know and I am sure he has checked. Internal fuse?
I've had a quick look, checked the power source (ok), took the panel off and checked the live connection
internally at the socket (live) but could not see any internal fuses. I was hoping to see a quick blow fuse
on the outside, and when there wasn't one I checked internally and couldn't see one anywhere.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 pm

You mentioned in OP about throwing it away, as a last resort I'd list on a auction spares/repairs on eBay somebody with spare parts making a living from fettling will take it.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:08 pm

I think Bose stuff is programmed to self-destruct after so many years. A friend of mine had a Bose soundbar on her telly and it stopped working. She contacted Harry Garlick where it was purchased and they could do nowt about it. For the price of Bose stuff you'd expect a lot more really! :shock:

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Hendrickxz wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:08 pm
I think Bose stuff is programmed to self-destruct after so many years. A friend of mine had a Bose soundbar on her telly and it stopped working. She contacted Harry Garlick where it was purchased and they could do nowt about it. For the price of Bose stuff you'd expect a lot more really! :shock:
I've had problems with Bose certain products, some of the systems are frustrating, I've never know any other manufacturer having a 2.5 port for a dab external aerial everyone else F connection.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 pm

If it is PCB solder that's the issue there's not going up be a permanent fix. You could try to bake the PCB or reflow it in a reflow station.

This was a common problem with electronics when they moved away from lead solder. Unfortunately lead may be bad for the environment but it got less brittle than the solder mix they use now.

I used to fix my PlayStation 3 with a heat gun by imitating a reflow station and melting the solder a little around the processing unit. Back then both playroom PlayStation 3 and Xbox we're dropping like cherries because of the same issue and anyone that offered repair would only reflow so it was never a proper fix.

You can try the heat gun thing, once I even baked my PS3 PCB in the oven too and it worked for a while longer. If you take it to a proper repair shop where they actually have a reflow station and still do PCB repairs they may be able to get it up and running for you.

Problem may be spare parts or shops not willing to waste the time on it.

Maybe buying another second hand or an alternative second hand would be more viable cost-wise. Bose really aren't all that when it comes to sound quality.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am

https://g.co/kgs/knv2ZK
Have you tried him? I've took a few Roberts & sangean stuff to him in past.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 pm
If it is PCB solder that's the issue there's not going up be a permanent fix. You could try to bake the PCB or reflow it in a reflow station.

This was a common problem with electronics when they moved away from lead solder. Unfortunately lead may be bad for the environment but it got less brittle than the solder mix they use now.

I used to fix my PlayStation 3 with a heat gun by imitating a reflow station and melting the solder a little around the processing unit. Back then both playroom PlayStation 3 and Xbox we're dropping like cherries because of the same issue and anyone that offered repair would only reflow so it was never a proper fix.

You can try the heat gun thing, once I even baked my PS3 PCB in the oven too and it worked for a while longer. If you take it to a proper repair shop where they actually have a reflow station and still do PCB repairs they may be able to get it up and running for you.

Problem may be spare parts or shops not willing to waste the time on it.

Maybe buying another second hand or an alternative second hand would be more viable cost-wise. Bose really aren't all that when it comes to sound quality.
I love people who know stuff about stuff. I don't even understand what you wrote but I'm still dead impressed.
These 3 users liked this post: superdimitri Zlatan tim_noone

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:09 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 pm
Not likely to be the issue with something like this. The old issue with the PS3 was due to it running hot, a Bose sound system doesn’t. I’d suggest that one or more capacitors on the PSU have popped, especially if it powers up for a while and then switches off.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 pm
I love people who know stuff about stuff. I don't even understand what you wrote but I'm still dead impressed.
Well at least give the bloke a like then, & if you don't understand it how do you know it's not a load of old cobblers.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm
Well at least give the bloke a like then, & if you don't understand it how do you know it's not a load of old cobblers.
I know my woofers from my tweeters...

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 pm

This video is worth a watch - a bit long but he knows his stuff.

About on minute 20 it shows the Bose Power Supply chip and how to remove it.

Whole job looks fiddly but doable to someone with skills. Maybe point whoever you get to look at your unit to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fEQ-UUNks

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 pm

edit - duplicate post (why does this keep happening?)

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 pm

dushanbe wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:09 pm
Not likely to be the issue with something like this. The old issue with the PS3 was due to it running hot, a Bose sound system doesn’t. I’d suggest that one or more capacitors on the PSU have popped, especially if it powers up for a while and then switches off.
Someone mentioned above about similar searches online pointing towards it being exactly like this, that is why I made my post.

I happen to know nothing about this particular sound-system, nor would I have a clue if I inspected it either, but it's really not unusual for audio equipment to run hot, in fact many amplifiers now have to have active cooling because of it.

It takes years for increased temp to take effect. Even if it didn't run as hot it could have ran hot enough for it to make the solder turn brittle over time. Especially true since the PS3 (or any computer) has heatsinks and active cooling. Probably this BOSE unit has no heat sinks at all, let alone a fan!

Unfortunately we live in a disposable era, perhaps the OP can find a local repair group? Sometimes there are groups with know-how just repairing stuff like this.

It does make you wonder! Make solder more environmentally friendly, but then the appliances don't last as long. Which is really better for the environment?

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:58 pm

Thank you everybody for all your advice and comments. I will pass it all on in order that
he come to a decision as to what to do.

Cheers