substitution

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

substitution

Post by pureclaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Sub and no injury on 57 mins whats happening?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: substitution

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Vydra taking his place back on the bench. Wood will stay the rest of the games.
This user liked this post: bobinho

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:33 pm

I’m with C&J on this.

Anyone surprised this happened so quickly? You shouldn’t be. Can’t remember very many unforced SD subs earlier in a game than this.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Agreed, Dyche has got his boy back! Just lucky that Vydra didn’t score and mess things up for Dyche
This user liked this post: tim_noone

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:46 pm

You could’ve called that substitution at 2pm today when Vydra was announced in the starting line up.

Talk about bringing a player back down to Earth with a bump.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:53 pm

So negative today, from the moment Wood came on we sat deep and lumped it, time wasted at every opportunity. Why? why aren’t we going to win in the final 30? not like a point helps a tremendous amount. So disappointing to see Vydra hooked so quickly and I guess that’s the end of his Burnley career.

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:57 pm

We’ve had far worse centre forward displays than the one Vydra put in for 57 minutes today but Dyche has kept them on regardless.

I understand that he still isn’t 100% match fit but he didn’t looked gassed.

It was a shitty thing to do to hook him so early, even more so when that is completely against what Dyche normally does.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret tim_noone

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:04 pm

And as soon as Barnes is back Vydra will revert to 4th choice again. At least his little cameo will ensure we get a decent fee for him this summer.
This user liked this post: rob63

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:09 pm

to be fair, today wasn't the kind of game for Vydra - was always going to struggle against the height and size of the Newcastle CB's - just as Gayle etc did at the other end
These 3 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Bosscat claretfern

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm

It was the right call. Dyche had our best centre forward and most potent goal scorer on the bench. We were struggling to break down a stubborn defence. 100% the right change and made an immediate impact. We then settled for the point which is still understandable considering our run of form and the fact that our first target will still be 40 points.
These 4 users liked this post: fidelcastro ElectroClaret CHEWBACCA claretfern

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:25 pm
Vydra taking his place back on the bench. Wood will stay the rest of the games.
We didn't do much after Vyds went off to be honest. Vyds wasn't the only one that was ineffective today to be fair.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:09 pm
to be fair, today wasn't the kind of game for Vydra - was always going to struggle against the height and size of the Newcastle CB's - just as Gayle etc did at the other end
This.........he was going nowhere!
Usual whinging from the usual suspects.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm
We didn't do much after Vyds went off to be honest.
We didn’t. But Wood is a threat from crosses and set pieces. If we were to win today it looked like it would most likely come from a set piece.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
I posted the other day it was the perfect match for him. They are excellent in the air against anybody but Vydras movement should have worried them and pulled them out of position. Sadly our passing was back to Xmas standards, we looked like strangers, so he never got going. Probably the correct decision to hook him but not his fault.
This user liked this post: claretfern

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:17 pm

How dare Dyche bring on our top scorer when we weren't creating much!

Ginger buffoon!

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:15 pm
I posted the other day it was the perfect match for him. They are excellent in the air against anybody but Vydras movement should have worried them and pulled them out of position. Sadly our passing was back to Xmas standards, we looked like strangers, so he never got going. Probably the correct decision to hook him but not his fault.
It was central midfield that was poor today. Hendrick and Cork didn't do much and even Westy struggled a bit. His corners keep him on though. Could've given Brownhill a run though.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:15 pm
agree, there was minimal quality on show from both teams. Jay had the best chance when clean through and his finish summed the game up :lol:

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
I don't know. I'd say big slow centre backs would be far happier playing against Wood than someone more mobile like Vydra. Suppose if the service isn't there it doesn't really matter who's upfront.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:20 pm
agree, there was minimal quality on show from both teams. Jay had the best chance when clean through and his finish summed the game up :lol:
I think he’d seen the flag and was just leathering the ball.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:21 pm
I don't know. I'd say big slow centre backs would be far happier playing against Wood than someone more mobile like Vydra. Suppose if the service isn't there it doesn't really matter who's upfront.
exactly, there was no service

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm
I think he’d seen the flag and was just leathering the ball.
I think that was a poor excuse from Jay. In any case, if the flag goes up the player should still make every effort to score as we know how tight some of these calls are when reviewed.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:26 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:53 pm
So negative today, from the moment Wood came on we sat deep and lumped it, time wasted at every opportunity. Why?
We didn't play any differently when Wood came on as when Vydra was on the pitch. The style didnt change one bit. Vydra wasn't on his own but he was fairly average today and never got to grips with the game. Dyche should be applauded for trying to change the game as early as he did.

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm
It was the right call. Dyche had our best centre forward and most potent goal scorer on the bench. We were struggling to break down a stubborn defence. 100% the right change and made an immediate impact. We then settled for the point which is still understandable considering our run of form and the fact that our first target will still be 40 points.
It could’ve been the right call if Wood had come on and actually done anything, but he was arguably more ineffective than Vydra.

You’ve got a lad who’s waited an absolute age for a proper chance, has played really well the last two league games and is on cloud nine and then as soon as he has a quiet half is hooked, which is completely against what Dyche normally does.

Shitty man management by Dyche and smacks of him giving it the “I’m the boss” spiel.
Last edited by BurnleyFC on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:25 pm
I think that was a poor excuse from Jay. In any case, if the flag goes up the player should still make every effort to score as we know how tight some of these calls are when reviewed.
More than fair point. The flag doesn’t stop the game but the whistle does. They have been told to play on and VAR review if scored, far to many linos can’t wait to get their flag up.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Ok, so it wasnt the type of game that suited Vydra... let’s see him start the next game then. Or presumably every game from now on will be a “Wood” type game? When Wood is not even close to being in the game at Anfield in April, how long will he get? I ask these questions as a Wood fan! Vydra brings something different, but we are only benefitting from “different” when it’s forced.

Look, I get a change was “needed” but the counter argument is when it’s been needed in the past because of the ineffective tactics and set up, why have we not changed at 57 minutes and tried something else?

I’m a happy clapper, really I am. Everything Burnley is wonderful right now, but let’s at least be honest about how and why our team and tactics are what they are.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:27 pm
It could’ve been the right call of Wood had come in and actually done anything, but he was arguably more ineffective than Vydra.

You’ve got a lad who’s waited an absolute age for a proper chance, has played really well the last two league games and is on cloud nine and then as soon as he has a quiet half is hooked, which is completely against what Dyche normally does.

Shitty man management by Dyche and smacks of him giving it the “I’m the boss” spiel.
:lol:

Yes, because Dyche knew that Wood was going to come on and not score didn’t he - having psychic powers and all.

Dyche rightly left Vydra in the starting 11 today and gave him 60 minutes in which he was largely ineffective, not helped by poor service. Our top scorer and best striker was on the bench, why wouldn’t you bring him on with a good 30 minutes to get a goal?

I know people are desperate for Vydra to be some kind of hero, but the fact remains that he’s still our fourth choice striker.

Shitty man management would have been to drop Vydra. Good management was to do what Dyche thought was in the best interests of the team and that was to introduce Wood.

He clearly can’t do right with some people, amusingly people criticise how reluctant he is to make changes and then he gets criticised for doing just that.
This user liked this post: dermotdermot

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:36 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm
Ok, so it wasnt the type of game that suited Vydra... let’s see him start the next game then. Or presumably every game from now on will be a “Wood” type game? When Wood is not even close to being in the game at Anfield in April, how long will he get? I ask these questions as a Wood fan! Vydra brings something different, but we are only benefitting from “different” when it’s forced.

Look, I get a change was “needed” but the counter argument is when it’s been needed in the past because of the ineffective tactics and set up, why have we not changed at 57 minutes and tried something else?

I’m a happy clapper, really I am. Everything Burnley is wonderful right now, but let’s at least be honest about how and why our team and tactics are what they are.
Because when Vydra is on the bench we are making the team weaker by introducing him. When Wood is on the bench we are making the team stronger by introducing him. Pretty simple.

As above, it’s great that Vydra has shown what he can offer and hopefully he will get more game time as a result. But the fact remains that he is fourth choice and playing very well for a game and a half isn’t going to be enough to change Dyche’s view which is based on dozens of performances and lots of goals from Wood.

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm
:lol:

Yes, because Dyche knew that Wood was going to come on and not score didn’t he - having psychic powers and all.

Dyche rightly left Vydra in the starting 11 today and gave him 60 minutes in which he was largely ineffective, not helped by poor service. Our top scorer and best striker was on the bench, why wouldn’t you bring him on with a good 30 minutes to get a goal?

I know people are desperate for Vydra to be some kind of hero, but the fact remains that he’s still our fourth choice striker.

Shitty man management would have been to drop Vydra. Good management was to do what Dyche thought was in the best interests of the team and that was to introduce Wood.

He clearly can’t do right with some people, amusingly people criticise how reluctant he is to make changes and then he gets criticised for doing just that.
You’re missing the point - he’s done something that he never normally does, making an unenforced substitution early on, with a player just coming back from injury as well. About as un-“Dyche” like as you can get.

You, I and every other Burnley fan knows that Wood will be back in the starting eleven next game and will get a damn sight longer than 57 minutes on the pitch, whether his performance warrants it or not.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:39 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:36 pm
You’re missing the point - he’s done something that he never normally does, making an unenforced substitution early on, with a player just coming back from injury as well. About as un-“Dyche” like as you can get.

You, I and every other Burnley fan knows that Wood will be back in the starting eleven next game.
The substitution was on round about the hour mark - hardly like taking him off after 15 mins. He usually would wait 10 minutes later, granted, but Wood is our biggest goal threat. Why leave him on the bench? There would have been a case for him to start today but Dyche did the right thing sticking with the team that beat Bournemouth.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Vydra is always a player if he starts and it doesn’t come off will be subbed .He was ineffectual today and it kept him fresh while giving Wood our leading scorer a run out . I’d be staggered if SD drops Vydra next week. I ,for one am delighted we’ve 3 fit confident strikers who are match fit and raring to go
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank DomBFC1882

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Because when Vydra is on the bench we are making the team weaker by introducing him. When Wood is on the bench we are making the team stronger by introducing him. Pretty simple.
Yep, that’s pretty simple. But it’s only a viable answer if we swap them without changing what we are trying to do. If we bring Vydra on and ignore his pace and his movement and play the same ball forward that we do when Wood is on the pitch, it’s not surprising we are weaker. That’s pretty simple too.

There is no reason why Vydra CANT be the number one. Or Jay. These players are different and their strengths are different. If we keep playing the same way with the same players in the same formation we get found out very quickly. We have mixed it up but only when forced to. What it has shown us is there is a viable option... if we want to use it. I understand why we revert to type, but we aren’t as one dimensional as maybe some people think.

As I stated, I really like Wood, he’s great up there, but there are options when he’s ineffective. When he is, I’d like to see a change.

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm
Vydra is always a player if he starts and it doesn’t come off will be subbed .He was ineffectual today and it kept him fresh while giving Wood our leading scorer a run out . I’d be staggered if SD drops Vydra next week. I ,for one am delighted we’ve 3 fit confident strikers who are match fit and raring to go
Prepare to be staggered!

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:35 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm
"I’d be staggered if SD drops Vydra next week."

So would I mate.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:39 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 pm
Yep, that’s pretty simple. But it’s only a viable answer if we swap them without changing what we are trying to do. If we bring Vydra on and ignore his pace and his movement and play the same ball forward that we do when Wood is on the pitch, it’s not surprising we are weaker. That’s pretty simple too.

There is no reason why Vydra CANT be the number one. Or Jay. These players are different and their strengths are different. If we keep playing the same way with the same players in the same formation we get found out very quickly. We have mixed it up but only when forced to. What it has shown us is there is a viable option... if we want to use it. I understand why we revert to type, but we aren’t as one dimensional as maybe some people think.

As I stated, I really like Wood, he’s great up there, but there are options when he’s ineffective. When he is, I’d like to see a change.
But our style is also dependent on the opposition. Newcastle don’t concede many goals, particularly at home. They’re stubborn opposition. Today was always going to be tight and looked increasingly likely that it would be decided by a corner kick or other set piece.

Taking nothing away from Vydra who really rose to the task when called upon, but Bournemouth was the exact opposition I would have chosen to put him up against. Their defence is as poor as it gets, particularly without Ake. It was always going to be that we would play a more expansive style of football against Bournemouth than today against Newcastle.

We tried to play football into feet at times today but it was extremely tight and crowded and the forwards had little joy. I’m not in the least surprised that Dyche decided to bring on the player who has form for getting a goal out of nothing and stealing three points on the road.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:35 pm
"I’d be staggered if SD drops Vydra next week."

So would I mate.
I'd say Wood is nailed on to start next week.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:59 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:

You, I and every other Burnley fan knows that Wood will be back in the starting eleven next game and will get a damn sight longer than 57 minutes on the pitch, whether his performance warrants it or not.
This is simply not true. Before Barnes was injured Rodriguez was brought on several times for either one of the starting two about an hour into the game. For once Rileybobs is right.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Don't know what it is about Newcastle, we always struggle to put two passes together. Must be the dazzling barcodes.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Back to hoof ball next match.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:29 pm
Back to hoof ball next match.
Like the hoof ball that we played against Arsenal and Manchester United?

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Dyche makes an earlier sub, people moan about. Dyche makes late subs people moan about it.

Perhaps Ballon D’or Vydra has a bad day?