Dad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Dad

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:54 am

Just wondered how many of you, like me, look around at the Turf & remember your Dads? Always have a choking moment whenever I’m there & sure that’s why, even at 59 years old, it has such a massive impact on my life. Daft, I know, but it always brings me back to the thoughts, hopes & fears of my twelve year old self, sat in the ‘warmth’ beside him.
These 19 users liked this post: Jel Dawlishclaret groove Wile E Coyote Colburn_Claret elwaclaret Leisure fanzone SalouClaret evensteadiereddie paulatky ecc Blackrod mybloodisclaret Holtyclaret Cajun Suratclaret icu81b4 Dazzler

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Re: Dad

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:25 am

Not really about my Dad but I am still in the seat I had along with my three boys in the 1980’s and the memories from those days and the fact that the three men are now only two since 2016
These 4 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Guller Bull Juan Tanamera Buxtonclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:31 am

Like so many of us I was first taken to the Turf by my dad and I’ve followed him in so many ways. He was always there be it the first team, reserves or youth team. I’m not sure what he’s have thought of playing home games at Curzon Ashton though.

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:43 am

I’m 55 and lost my Dad just over 3 years ago, and after being with him at every home match since 1973 you never forget why you are there.

I’m Claret because of my Dad, and I remember him at every match.

UTC
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:01 pm

My dad first took me on the Turf in 1951 when I was four years old. I started watching them regularly in 1958, still going to the match with my dad but standing with my pals to watch the game. I would then meet my dad outside the Wellington to get a lift back to Rosegrove, normally followed by a Bob Birds fish, chips and peas take away for tea. Happy days.

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm

My Dad, bless him, never took me on. My grandad took me to my first match. We stood behind the goals at the cricket field end, right in amongst “it”. There was grandad in his trilby and Gaberdine mac, how out of place he would look now!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 pm

My dad never took me to a football match, he wasn't into it.
With his sudden passing in January this year at the age of just 60 its something that will never happen now either.

RidgeClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by RidgeClaret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:31 pm

My dad used to sit me on the wall of the enclosure in front of the old Brunshaw Road stand. Seem to remember you paid to get on the Bee Hole end then there was an extra turnstile in the corner where you paid a bit more to get into the enclosure o- sixpence I think pre decimalisation!!!
One of my earliest memories is when Everton were the visitors and the lady in the long blue dress came round throwing toffees into the crowd. Happy days.
Thx Dad
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Only ever attended two Burnley games with my dad..now sadly passed. The Orient game in which he readily admitted he expected to see the end of us and the Sherpa Van at Wembley after which he said "take a look..you won't see Burnley here again" which i happily reminded him of on our two subsequent wins there.
He was a regular fan in the late 50s and 60s as a younger lad..often going along with my mum. He was one of those disgusted with us selling Jimmy Mac and of money spoiling the game and became disillusioned and a little bitter about it and the game in general.
It was left to my grandfather and uncle to take me on my first games in the late 70s sat in the cricketfield stand. I wasnt a regular fan until the Orient season. I really did start at the bottom :-D

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Both mum and dad, separately, for me as a kid. Dad used to get in free just by showing his police I.D.
Looking back, mum was fairly brave tackling the unsegregated Longside in the '70s.

RidgeClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by RidgeClaret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pm

He also took me to my first ever away game on the charra to Bloomfield Road on Boxing Day 1970 in front of almost 29,000. 1 - 1 draw with Frank Casper scoring for us and I always thought Bob Hatton scored for them but he was playing for Carlisle at that time?
Remember it well because sports report on the BBC radio on the way home announced the death of Lillian Board at the age of 22 only 2 years after winning a silver medal at the Mexico Olympics.
He stopped going on in the early 70's when they put the price up to 40 new pence - said they were ruining the game!!!
He would've been 99 last Sunday.
Rip Dad

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm

My dad was a season ticket holder in the 60s and travelled home and away.
I’ve only ever been to watch Burnley once with him. It was in the bob lord stand - can’t remember who against. Possibly Notts County - I think we won either 3-0 or 3-1 and Tony Hancock played for us !
Also went with my Dad to watch Italy beat Wales 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier at Anfield.

He did come and watch me play on the Turf twice - once in the Keighley Cup final and once in the Hospital Cup final.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 pm

My dad took me to my first game - I think it was against Sheffield Wednesday who had one of the Springetts in goal. Sadly my dad has Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia and has no understanding of anything. It feels like there is a stranger living in his body and although he still recognises me it is bloody hard to see him like this. Just about to complete the sale of his house to pay for his care home costs - not what he or many others like him deserve.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Very tough HBClaret. As you know I remember your dad from when we all lived in Colne and very sorry to hear. My dad was a ST holder to the day he died just over a year ago and he also had dementia which was getting worse and worse at the time he died. He took me onto the Turf as a child and I remember being on the Turf in the late '60s with crowds of around 38,000 against the likes of Leeds and Man Utd. Remember my first Claret hero Ralph Coates tearing Revie's Leeds apart..5-1 I think. BFC is such an important part of my life and both my brother and I have my dad to thank for it.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Yes I agree Stalbans - very tough. I did tell my dad about yours and at the time he seemed to remember. My dad was more in to cricket than football and the first signs of his illness cane when we were watching TV and he didn’t know why the umpire was standing with his arms outstretched (it was a wide) - but like so many others we can be thankful that we were given our life long love affair of Burnley.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Had my Dad ride the last winner at Leopardstown today 7/1 he's been gone nearly 20 years....I needed a bit of inspiration he did well!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Blessed to have a wonderful man who loved all of us to bits.
Took me everywhere for a game from watching Wednesday afternoon inter-regiment games at Catterick (there were a lot of young pros doing NS at the time), to an amateur international at Feethams, S.Korea beating Italy at Ayresome Park, Moscow Dynamoes at St. James Park(just to see Lev Yashin), but above all it was Burnley that were his great love. First took me on in Mar’62 to see us beat West Ham 6-0 and apart from a couple of seasons when I was playing we rarely missed. He could always get a couple of mates to travel to share the petrol and my best attribute from about 10 was hearing the results once and memorising them then being able to tell them what that had done to the tables. Jeff Stelling eat your heart out, no earpiece for me.
My adult daughters now have photos of him dotted around their homes, truly loved.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Soppy answer from me. Aged 5 ish I was sneaked in every game by my grandad, we went through the turnstile together, followed by my dad and uncle. Up the Rose and Crown before the game and then on the enclosure. Memories from the 60’s that bring a smile and a tear in equal doses. I got my first season ticket around 8 year old.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Great thread.....arnt Dad's brilliant.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Probably been to around 600 games with my Dad, including around 40 England Games, I can’t imagine life without him, top bloke.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Strange really cos I went with dad, but now I am a dad and look at it like I love every minute with my son.............and wish dad was there to see it.......
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:04 pm

I wouldn't have been a Claret if it hadn't been for my Dad especially as we moved away from the area when I was just a few months old.

I wasn't given a choice about which team I supported. :) But I have no regrets whatsoever. Our club is, of course, far from perfect but it still has certain values and, as far as I know, has always been owned and run by Clarets.

My Dad passed away on 8 March 1997. So this thread is timely.

Burnley FC and my Dad are inseparable for me.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Nottsclaretsully
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Nottsclaretsully » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Great topic.
Went with my old man since I can remember (early 80s). His last game was the promotion clinching 1-0 win vs QPR. He knew it was likely to be his last game and I have a great picture of him, my brother and I celebrating our promotion at the end with tears in our eyes.
He passed away the night before our great 2-0 win over Liverpool. Even my Liverpool supporting mates were chuffed we won that day.
These 3 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote JohnDearyMe Dazzler

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:12 pm

My dad....one of the McIlroy rebels....took me on t'Turf for the first time in October 1973. BFC 2 v QPR 1, because my mum told him to! He never went on again and probably never will. Would love him to come with me again to see where all my money went! UTC EAC

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:17 pm

A nice thread. My Dad is elderly and can’t attend really these days but used to go regularly in the 60s and 70s and took me in the 70s with other family before I knew what was going on. He used to watch Burnley but woulld watch Blackburn sometimes if Burnley were away. When I got back interested in the 80s he took me on a couple of Blackburn games to make sure I knew who I wanted to support ! He always tries to be fair with everything . I always walk the same way to the ground as I did with him and sometimes take my son on but I always wonder how I’ll feel walking that same route when he is no longer about. I always think I’ll be glad I watched the 2009 Wembley Final with him, being with him in the Cricket Field end when Robbie Blake score against Man Utd and also being in the Beehole End ( where we stood in the 70s) for the promotion game when Michael Kightly scored. These will be cherished memories.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:18 pm

My Dad was locked out of Maine Road in 1960 and listened to the roars outside and went to Frankfurt in 67. The old cinecamera movies come out from time to time with highlights of the trip to Germany by coach. A few too many ladies in the clips for my mum’s liking....and before my time.

Was at Ewood when the roof came off, protecting me and my sister and vivid memories of the claret scarf over the picture frame as I returned home from York (he had planted for my return). Less than 4 weeks later he was gone aged just 56 and life has not been the same since...however, I’ve learned you have to live to the full as you never know how long you’ve got left as a Claret....

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:21 pm

This thread brought a tear to my eye.
The 1st thing I wanted to do the day after the play off final was to visit the place where we scattered my Dad’s ashes.

I carried a photo of my Mum and Dad in my pocket at Wembley and touched it many times for luck in those last 25 minutes

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 pm

My Dad wasn't a Claret - but took me to my first game: Burnley v Man Utd. (For some reason he appeared more keen on Charlton, Best and Law...). That was mid-60s. He joined me again at Wembley (Sherpa van) and then Stockport play-off final - I was living down in London by then. I took him on t'Turf in 2007 - I think we won 2-0, but most memorable part was getting all the help guiding him down from high up in JHU. The going up was easy. Coming down safely was a real challenge. Thanks to several gentlemen who assisted us, maybe some post on here. I was up to visit Mum and Dad in October 2009, and go on a game. Dad also wanted to come on, but just turning 89 he wasn't quite up to it. It's now 10 years since he passed. He'd have celebrated with me when we won at Old Trafford and all our seasons in the Premier League.

Happy days, Dad.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:01 pm

Still travel away with my dad. Who took me to my first game at two years old and first away game at three years old.

Away days are much better. Full day out together and usually a stop over. Always a good away day together at some of our usual trips West Ham, Bournemouth, Everton.

He won’t sit with me at home. Apparently it’s the cricket field but it’s probably personal :lol: always look for him and spot him at the opposite end though.

Always the same routine post match though meet up outside the bookies. Talk about the match from our views at each end of the ground. And ‘wave’ the away fans off.

Usually the same pre match routine too. Turns up and blocks my car in or parks on my front garden... :twisted:
:D

Can’t beat going to the game with your dad. And can’t wait to do the same with my own.

magyver1
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by magyver1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:01 pm

My dad took me to my 1st Burnley match in the late sixties and until his passing we allways went together.
When he left my love for football wained until my sons
Wanted to go and now i dont miss many a match with 1
Or 2 of them
Thanks dad miss you lots
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:21 pm

It was my Mum who took me to the games, from 1965 thru to promotion in the seventies, home and away. She still kept going on her own when I was old enough to go with my mates.

she got remarried and moved away but was an a occasional attender and she always knew the results before I could tell her.

In the late nineties she was diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease and when barely able to walk I took her one last time to the Turf. The club was brilliant, got me a parking space right by the disabled entrance. I went to get the wheelchair but she refused and we sat and watched a 2-2 draw with Wycombe. It made her day, she died less than two months later.

It is the only programme I have kept in more than 20 years
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone gawthorpe_view cricketfieldclarets

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Think about my dad every time I go to the Turf with my little un, parking in the same place and making the same walk as I did with him 40-odd years ago.

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Because my Dad was chief photographer with the Burnley Express he was unable to accompany me to games as he was behind the goals with his camera. Therefore my grandad took me on the Beehole End in the 1950’s. Eventually, Dad took me to several away games as his “assistant” sitting with him behind the goals. We also went on night matches anywhere in Lancs where there was a game on Wednesday evenings, his day off.
By the time he had retired I had moved away and started my own family. I introduced my son to the Clarets and we try to see them a few times per year. I remember my Dad though each time I go on the Turf.

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Family is one of the best things about being a Claret and a Burnley lad . My Dad is still going strong but one of our best days came against Wycombe back in December 1999 when four generations of us watched a Clarets win..myself ,my Dad ,my Grandad and my eldest son ..Grandad had been going on since the 1930s he passed away in 2011 aged 92 and just missed seeing his Great Grandson becoming one of our first team physios ..he would have been very proud ..as are we that remain - but Grandad would have loved to see my son doing what he does...
This user liked this post: Dazzler

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:30 pm

I’ve loved reading all your thoughts. It’s clearly an emotional part of many of our lives.
Strange thing is that we have no other link with Burnley & are Yorkies. Dad came from Barnsley & wasn’t really too keen on football. I pestered & pestered him to find out who was his favourite team. Eventually he said Burnley (Probably as they were champs when I was born) & that was me set for life. We started going to matches (first three were defeats at Leeds, Wednesday & home to Hull, but they always seemed to win after that.
He grew to love our days out & our joint favourite match was the 4 - 1 mauling of dirty Leeds in 74 (my most hated club).
The Turf will always have a very special place in my heart & now the hearts of my son & daughter’s families.

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2106 times

Post by BFCmaj » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm

I’m lucky in that I still go on the match with my dad. We used to go with my grandad as well. He passed away a couple of years ago aged 98 and I still think about him when I go on the Turf. I don’t get to go on as many games now as I used to but one of the games I go on each season is a birthday present from my mum and dad which coincidentally will be the Spurs Match this weekend.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm

it is a great thread, easy to get a bit emotional reading these posts. very poignant.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Most my Dad 5 years ago, time flies so fast but still think of him every day.
Life changes once you start losing your parents.
Great thread.
RIP to all those magnificent dads & mums who made us who we are.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Very poignant thread. Wonder what some of the dad's mentioned on here from older generations would make of the modern era of football?

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 am

An absorbing and enjoyable thread.
My dad was a lifelong Claret, born and brought up in Burnley, lived on Manchester Road, went to Back Lane school.
After much pestering from me, he decided I was ready to accompany him on the Turf for a birthday treat in October 1965 to see us beat Sheffield Utd, and for the next 13 years we shared some of the happiest dad and lad times of our lives together going to matches. The plain claret and blue bar scarf he gave me before that game is one of my most treasured possessions.
In my ideal world of that time, he would come to watch me play football for my school team either home or away on a Saturday morning, I would score and we would win, then he would take me from the school game to Burnley. We’d park at my nan’s in Brunshaw, have something to eat with her, then walk down to the Turf. Of course the Clarets would win, we would walk back to my nan’s, have a drink, then buy a Pink which I could read on the drive back home, then later we would stuff ourselves with fish and chips and relive the day’s events. A scenario that played out many a time 😊
He really liked Gordon Harris (Go on Bomber, let’s have one of yer mazy dribbles), but he liked a goal-scorer and we both idolized Willie Irvine (I still do). He went to the FA Cup replay at Goodison with a pal when Morrisey broke Willie’s leg, and he was seething with anger the next day and admitted to having “got involved in a bit of a shoving match” with locals who had been cheering and laughing when Willie was carried off. In fact, the only time we went to Goodison together a few years later he said he could still picture the incident and still felt angry.
The last game we went to together was vs Oldham at the Turf in September 78, when he was really starting to get ill. I last saw him alive on Christmas Day evening 1978, and the last words he ever spoke to me were “Give the lads an extra shout for me tomorrow son” – and I was probably the loudest voice on the Longside as we beat Wovers 2-1 on Boxing Day. A few hours later he was dead at 55.
I got a few years of proudly taking my own lad to watch the Clarets before we moved over this side of the Atlantic, and happily in these Premier League days we can watch the games live together on NBCSN as he lives close by here in Philly. My dad would be very glad to see the Claret bloodline continuing, and would get a kick out of seeing his great-granddaughter in her little Burnley kit.
Always think of my dad on matchdays.
These 7 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote Grimsdale HunterST_BFC superdimitri claretfern Tricky Trevor Oo_George

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:58 am

Brilliant post cajun.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:46 am

Like many others, my dad introduced me to the Clarets in the mid fifties and match days became something special for many years even when we had moved away from Burnley. He really liked football and if Burnley were playing away from home ( we would go to local away games), he would take me to see other footballers playing for other teams e.g. Bolton playing at home so he would take me to see Nat Lofthouse etc.
After he retired and moved back to Burnley, we started going together again until his health deteriorated. Then, I had to call and see him straight after a match to give him a full "report".
Special days indeed.

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:04 am

My dad was a Man U fan, it was my step brother who was born in Burnley. So aged 9 my Dad and step mum would drive us to all the games, they loved shopping in the different towns while we went to the matches. That lasted 2 seasons then my step brother was old enough to drive. Needles to say my Dad became a closet Claret 🙂

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 am

That was 1971. I’m hoping to come back to see him in April and to catch the game at Anfield.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:00 am

Very lucky to have good memories going with both my Dad and earlier, his Dad too.

As many of you will know. Match days were a tradition. My Nan would cook us dinner, usually potato pie, pees, carrots, gravy and we would head out for the game.

My early memories remember my grandad dressing himself with two pairs of trousers, rain proofs and he always took a cushion and thermos on, usually tea, sometimes bovril.
Being old he appreciated the new stands with their seats. Avoiding being wet and taking a cushion was a priority. Although he still used to complain about his back and how uncomfortable they were... If only he got to sit on the seats at the Amex :lol:

After games (always stay to the very end) it was a walk back to the car and listening to radio Lancashire pipe on about Blackburn down the road with their premier league victories hoping that they'd spare a minute or two for Burnley and that we hadn't missed Mullin, Stan or Cottrell speak. Traffic was bad, but Moby - porcelain became one of those iconic tunes that only give you good memories when you hear it. Together with Gary Hickson presenting.

Later on my grandad would make black peas and we would check the teletext for scores and write-ups.

As we came home my Nan always asked the result and even used to record the manager interview on the radio sometimes.

As time went on grandad went to less games as it became too much for him, but the routine was still there with just my Dad and I. My Nan used to go too, but not as often and before my time.

You'll never get these memories back again and reading this thread makes you realise just how short life is. Certainly I wouldn't be a Burnley fan if it wasn't for my Dad and he probably wouldn't be a Burnley fan if it wasn't for Accrington folding.

As it stands his friends from Accrington all diverted to Blackburn but he, Burnley... I'm certainly glad he made the right choice.

My grandad passed when I was 11, my Nan a few years ago now and my Dad is still with us but I have since emigrated to the USA and sorely miss going on, both home and away.

We traveled to games home and away despite living away from Burnley and have had some real memorable experiences that shall never be forgot.
Arriving at grounds late and missing goals, arriving late and not being able to get in but watching the game from a hill (Northampton), seeing dismal losses against 3rd tier opposition and the highs of the premier league.

Certainly my grandad wouldn't have believed where we are now, but he would be proud of what we achieved with a tight budget. He was definitely one to keep his wallet zipped up inside his pocket and he would be horrified to see football is even more about money now than it was then :D

jamesisaburyfan
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by jamesisaburyfan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:53 am

I went to my first game at Gigg with my dad on 27 August 1988. I carried on going with him until my teens when I graduated to going with schoolmates in the less expensive part of the ground.

When I was 28, I lost my job in traumatic circumstances and I had a bit of a breakdown. I had to move back in with him and my mum and he bought me a season ticket in the same, more expensive part of the ground as him. As I got better I came to love going in there with him and since that season (09/10) I had a season ticket with him all over again until the club was expelled from the league on the 31st anniversary of my first game.

I'm sitting here at my desk in work feeling as though I'm going to start crying at the thought of never going there again with him, thanks to the greed of Stewart Day, Glenn Thomas and Steve Dale.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:01 pm

jamesisaburyfan wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:53 am
I went to my first game at Gigg with my dad on 27 August 1988. I carried on going with him until my teens when I graduated to going with schoolmates in the less expensive part of the ground.

When I was 28, I lost my job in traumatic circumstances and I had a bit of a breakdown. I had to move back in with him and my mum and he bought me a season ticket in the same, more expensive part of the ground as him. As I got better I came to love going in there with him and since that season (09/10) I had a season ticket with him all over again until the club was expelled from the league on the 31st anniversary of my first game.

I'm sitting here at my desk in work feeling as though I'm going to start crying at the thought of never going there again with him, thanks to the greed of Stewart Day, Glenn Thomas and Steve Dale.
I feel for you man. I still hope something can be done. Perhaps you guys can do an Accrington Stanley and start afresh.
This user liked this post: jamesisaburyfan

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:46 pm

My dad took me to my first game in Nov. 1958 v Forest. We lost 2-0 but at the age of 6 I was hooked. He'd also taken my older brothers to their first games,too; one in 1951, the other presumably when football started again after the 2nd World War finished in 1945. He worked very long shifts Monday to Friday in a cotton mill and then put an extra half day in on Saturday mornings. He didn't get paid much but always managed to find enough to make sure all three of us(when we relied on him and mum) could go and watch the Clarets at home. Travelled from Haslingden on the bus and occasionally were treated to the coach that ran from Haslingden on alternate weeks to Blackburn and Burnley. It was a treat because it was more comfortable and had a radio for sports report on the way home.
He liked to stand on the terrace between the Beehole End and the Longside and considering the awful working conditions he endured during the week I can fully appreciate why. Also remember some cracking matches v Spurs in the early 60's when we were stood behind the Cricket Field End and his excitement in one game when we turned a 0-1 at half time into a 2-1 at full time.
As we all grew up he got to less matches through ill health but I do recall his last visit to Turf Moor. It was at the start of the 73-74 season after promotion and we'd got off to a good start including a 3-2 win at Spurs. I'd had a 'clarrie blue' Limerick(anyone remember them?) printed in the programme for the earlier home game v Coventry and the prize was a ticket in the Cricket Field Stand. The three of us picked him up in the car, had a pint and went to the game. We went 2-0 up but had to settle for a 2-2 in the end. We met him after the game and took him home. That was his last visit to the Turf but it seemed fitting that it was against Spurs, a team we'd had tremendous games against in the previous decade. Less than 2 years later he died but all of us are Clarets because of him; and now I go on with my son and daughter and grandson.

streeterpingfellow
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by streeterpingfellow » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Lost my Dad (58) nearly 8 years in 2012. I often sit there and wonder what he would have thought of where we are now and what has happened to the club under Dyche. Going to matches alone after he died wasn’t much fun and took some getting used to (even if it was just to argue about what was happening in the game with him) Sometimes the success over the last 8 years since he died has felt hollow without him. Recently I managed to buy my dads old seat next to me again and now take my nephew and in future will take my son. We spread some of my dads ashes at the singing ringing tree overlooking the town. I can see it from my seat in the James Hargreaves. Going to the Turf was always our Dad and lad time and it will always be the place that I feel closest to him.
Last edited by streeterpingfellow on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 pm

streeterpingfellow wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:50 pm
Lost my Dad (58) nearly 8 years in 2012. I often sit there and wonder what he would have thought of where we are now and what has happened to the club under Dyche. Going to matches alone after he died wasn’t much fun and took some getting used to (even if it was just to argue about what was happening in the game with him) Sometimes the success over the last 8 years since he died has felt hollow without him. Recently I managed to buy my dads old seat next to me again and now take my nephew and in future will take my son. We spread some of my dads ashes at the singing ringing tree overlooking the town. I can see it from my seat in the James Hargreaves.
I loved your dad. Can’t believe it’s eight years ago. Proper gent and always stopped me every time I saw him at the game.

Only played football for him for a season or so but easily my favourite manager I played for along with my own dad.

Great sense of humour and a proper football man and a decent bloke.