Off Topic : Electric Car Charging

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Off Topic : Electric Car Charging

Post by Untinted Glasses » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 am

Slightly confused about charging prices having only just received the car yesterday and not looked into anything at all (my bad)

My local polar charging point I use polar instant at £1.20 minimum charge and maximum stay 3 hours with no return for 2 hours. However after 90 minutes there is an additional £10 fee. Have I understood that right ? So at 7.2kw/hour and 18p / hour the cost would be £1.94 for 90 minutes ? If I was to stay 91 minutes the cost would be £11.94 ?

If i subscribed to polar plus and pay £8 a month, then the rate is 12p. So 90 minutes on 7.2 would cost me £1.30 but am I allowed to stay the full 3 hours without a £10 charge ?

Am I understanding this right ? Its very confusing.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Off Topic : Electric Car Charging

Post by Longsidelenny » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:59 am

Start using the bus instead utc
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 am

Longsidelenny wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:59 am
Start using the bus instead utc
That doesnt really make sense? Im also not on a bus route, the car is not mine but my wife who has visits to make as part of her job and owning a car is a must for the job however thanks for your comment :/ . Over time I've gathered your a colne cricket supporter ? I used to captain Colne for a short while back in the day :) The only Lenny I can think of is Length but I'm guessing its a different Lenny
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:30 pm

I dont know where you live, in relation to Burnley or where you are able to charge in the vicinity of your journey end, however, here are my thoughts, for you. I assume you know nothing. That's not to offend, just so I don't exclude anything.

1. There are apps to download, which are vital to getting about.
ZapMap and Plugshare are the main 2 although Pilar also has their own.
I am a Polar Plus subscriber @ £7.85 monthly. You then choose where you charge on their network and pay the rate. That depends on the provider of the charger. For example, the council provided ones I use in Wiltshire are free to use. So over a few charges, my £7.85 is good value.

There are a line of chargers in Burnley at Kingsway House. They are just 12p per kWh.

Others can be very expensive.

Worth checking the price of each charger. Podpoint are in Tescos and they are free to use. Not every Tesco has them, as yet. Asda have a programme too.

If you cannot get free charging, plugging in at home via a 3 pin 13amp plug is cheapest!

The two apps are the first step of your exploration!
Any Qs just ask.
Enjoy.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tim_noone

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:30 pm
I dont know where you live, in relation to Burnley or where you are able to charge in the vicinity of your journey end, however, here are my thoughts, for you. I assume you know nothing. That's not to offend, just so I don't exclude anything.

1. There are apps to download, which are vital to getting about.
ZapMap and Plugshare are the main 2 although Pilar also has their own.
I am a Polar Plus subscriber @ £7.85 monthly. You then choose where you charge on their network and pay the rate. That depends on the provider of the charger. For example, the council provided ones I use in Wiltshire are free to use. So over a few charges, my £7.85 is good value.

There are a line of chargers in Burnley at Kingsway House. They are just 12p per kWh.

Others can be very expensive.

Worth checking the price of each charger. Podpoint are in Tescos and they are free to use. Not every Tesco has them, as yet. Asda have a programme too.

If you cannot get free charging, plugging in at home via a 3 pin 13amp plug is cheapest!

The two apps are the first step of your exploration!
Any Qs just ask.
Enjoy.
Very helpful thank you very much for taking time to reply.
I have joined polar plus and downloaded zap map, thank you.
I take it there is no £10 fee for over 90 mins on the polar plus ?

I have also joined octopus who charge 5p per hour through the night time which seems ideal. This tarif is "octopus go"

Thanks again

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:41 pm

UG - Polar doesn't charge £10. Just the monthly subscription. However, when you download the Polar app and check out each charger, it is that provider, which makes their own charges, so if there is a reference to time and over time fees, they may apply unless it also gives exceptions.

Beware!

Octopus and 5p overnight sounds good.

Good luck.

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am

Right ok will do Ian. Thanks again

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:53 am

What's the reason why you can't charge up at any point and pay for whatever electricity is used?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:35 pm

Every network provider is different and every provider who signs up to a network is different.

To try and make that clearer FF, I am a subscriber of Polarplus @ £7.85 per month. That gives me access to their network. They install and maintain chargers, for themselves and other organisations. For example, Wiltshire Council use polarplus and they offer free electricity. The ones outside kingsway house are also polarplus, however, they are 12p per unit. To activate, I have a card which I place on a reader on the charger. There is PolarInstant too, which does not have the £7.8/ charge but has a £1.20 fee up front.

Tesco and others have signed up to Podpoint. Tesco also give free electric, for the maximum car park stay allowed for shopping.
To activate, you download their app and sign up. You supply a credit card, which is charged for usage. Nothing if it is a free electric provider.

There is also Chargeyourcar. Also an app.

There are others, usually app based. A plethora of providers, all with different access means and different charges!
Hope that helps!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:56 am

IanMcL wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:35 pm
Hope that helps!
Hi Ian, I know you stop for a re-charge on the M6, match days. How long do you need to break for? And is it just one more on your way home? Cheers.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Good question TT!
I am currently at Charnock Richard charging!😀

Today I left home and stopped as usual, at Keele Services. I charged for 45 mins. I could have left after 30 but I was responding to a shitty Council email!

I could have driven all the way to Turf Moor and back to Keele Southbound. However, I like to boost, if I have time, at CR, so my time on the return leg is reduced.

I will also probably stop at Membury on the wag home, to get a decent fee supercharge in the batteries, to start the week.
I don't have to though. I could get home from Jeele but would need to charge at some stage.

Hope that helps.

In Summer, it is easier - not so much drain, as it is warm and light so no car heating, lights etc..
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Cheers, we’ve just got a new polluter but in 3 years I’ll be going all electric. Technology should be well advanced by then.

45mins is OK. Just time for a pit stop and a brew. I was expecting longer.