Wood Poleaxed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Re: Wood Poleaxed

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:25 am

martin_p wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 pm
It wasn’t outside the box and whether Moss thought it was or it wasn’t it should have been checked.
Even if he thought it was outside, it was still a very clear FK! It is because he thought it was inside, that he did not give it!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:41 am

Dyche said the penalty wasn't given because Wood didn't go down clutching every part of his body and flayling his arms about. Dyche likes the game played in the right spirit and encourages our players to do so, which is the right thing to do. If we fail to get the odd penalty but stay honest that'll do for me. One of my greatest hates in any sport or game is cheating, which is why I bang on about it so much. This is why the game is being ruined, because of the cheats and divers and fakers. If ever I stop watching football it will almost certainly be because of this. Football is becoming a game of diving, conning the ref and generally doing anything and everything to win, no matter what the cost. If it gets much worse I'll be off, and I don't think I'd be alone.
As for Dyche saying the ref changed after half time after Spurs had had a word, I'm glad he did, and in a way I hope he gets into trouble for it because it might just then bring it all into an open discussion. The cheating has to stop and so does the 'big club' bias.
These 2 users liked this post: clitheroeclaret3 Goodclaret

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:47 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:41 am
Dyche said the penalty wasn't given because Wood didn't go down clutching every part of his body and flayling his arms about. Dyche likes the game played in the right spirit and encourages our players to do so, which is the right thing to do. If we fail to get the odd penalty but stay honest that'll do for me. One of my greatest hates in any sport or game is cheating, which is why I bang on about it so much. This is why the game is being ruined, because of the cheats and divers and fakers. If ever I stop watching football it will almost certainly be because of this. Football is becoming a game of diving, conning the ref and generally doing anything and everything to win, no matter what the cost. If it gets much worse I'll be off, and I don't think I'd be alone.
As for Dyche saying the ref changed after half time after Spurs had had a word, I'm glad he did, and in a way I hope he gets into trouble for it because it might just then bring it all into an open discussion. The cheating has to stop and so does the 'big club' bias.
Fully agree. The number of times that even just to win a throw-in players who have blatantly touched the ball last before it's gone out of play but them wildly claim to the ref that it's their ball! Even for a throw-in they can't seem to stop trying to cheat the ref and the other team.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

Leisure wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:47 am
Fully agree. The number of times that even just to win a throw-in players who have blatantly touched the ball last before it's gone out of play but them wildly claim to the ref that it's their ball! Even for a throw-in they can't seem to stop trying to cheat the ref and the other team.
Unfortunately, football is a reflection of society in general. How many people would refuse to pay cash for a job from a tradesman, knowing full well that the tradesman wouldn't declare the income for tax purposes? How many people will buy cigarettes from a mate, knowing that those cigarettes have probably been imported illegally? Isn't THAT cheating? So many examples of how society works these days. Margaret Thatcher introduced the 'Look after No. 1 society' and this is what we are left with.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy clitheroeclaret3

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:40 am

houseboy wrote:
As for Dyche saying the ref changed after half time after Spurs had had a word, I'm glad he did, and in a way I hope he gets into trouble for it because it might just then bring it all into an open discussion. The cheating has to stop and so doeto me on the 'big club' bias.
All so very true.
My missus, who has suffered at many matches over the years watching myself, followed by my two sons playing at semi-professional level but who now rarely attends, was at the match on Saturday because we were en route to Telford. The last match she attended before that was January 2017 when we beat Leicester.
Her one comment to me on Saturday was that Spurs players do like falling over and it was a good job that they weren't playing 20 years ago because they would have got something to make them fall over!
Yes, the game has changed, however, I do not enjoy watching it as I used to do because it is becoming too sterilised but still leaves room for lots of cheating ---such a shame.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 am

houseboy wrote:
Dyche is right in 99% of the things he says, but we need to be mindful of how easily Barnes goes down with a defender anywhere near him.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

Marney&Mee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 am
Dyche is right in 99% of the things he says, but we need to be mindful of how easily Barnes goes down with a defender anywhere near him.
I agree and had Barnes in mind when I posted this. Barnes is a decent player but I'm not his biggest fan and this is one reason why. He does have a tendency to throw himself to ground a bit, which is why I'm surprised that Dyche is so favourable to him. I hope we keep Barnes as part of the strike force because he has good qualities as well and he can score (when he's on form) but I think personally that he is, or should be, number four in the pecking order, but he would make a very good sub when we need something verocious up front later in a game when we are seeking a goal.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Interesting how referees seem to be very hesitant in giving us a penalty, even now with VAR.

Cases in point:

Southampton H - Barnes chopped in the box, no pen given, VAR says no pen??
Watford A - Barnes chopped in the box, no pen given, VAR gives the pen.
Bournemouth H - Handball in the box, no pen given, VAR gives the pen.
Spurs H - Wood taken out, no pen given, VAR not even used???

Have I missed any occasions where a ref has given us a Premier league penalty in real-time since yonks ago?

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Dermot Gallagher said on Ref Watch that the attack on Wood was not a foul because the Spurs player went to head the ball !!!! All the others disagreed stating that going to head the ball but failing to head the ball and attacking the player instead was a foul (and a penalty) !! God help us !!
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Why, just why can’t we have a pen for that? Ridiculous that VAR rules out goals that are 0.1mm off side, while doesn’t give, or even look at stone wall penalties.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:25 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Dermot Gallagher said on Ref Watch that the attack on Wood was not a foul because the Spurs player went to head the ball !!!! All the others disagreed stating that going to head the ball but failing to head the ball and attacking the player instead was a foul (and a penalty) !! God help us !!
I think Gallagher is a PGMOL stooge.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm
Ridiculous that VAR rules out goals that are 0.1mm off side,
Particularly when the technology providers, the Premier League and PGMOL all acknowledge that the technology is not 100% accurate and there are reasonable claims to suggest it can have a tolerance of as much +- 19cm in some instances (Players running at full speed)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:31 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Did he really say that? Sky should bin him off and pay someone who will actually be truthful and call out bad refereeing decisions when they occur.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Still on a Chris Wood related theme, what about that
turn and rocket shot that just cleared the bar in the
first half?

What a goal that would have been.

(Unless fat boy decided to rule it out)
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Rumpelstiltskin

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:51 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Crazy! At Newcastle, Tarks attacked the ball on the halfway line, won a great header but Gayle went down under the challenge because Tarks is about one foot taller. Referee gives a foul against Tarks and also books him, presumably for endangering an opponent!
Saturday against Spurs, Tarks again attacked the ball near the halfway line, wins a smashing header but gets penalised because his opponent falls over.

It seems that it is OK to go to try to head the ball, not succeed and hit the opponent instead, whereas, if you go to try and head the ball and succeed but your opponent falls over then that is a foul!

I am becoming more and more convinced that football would be a better game if we once again considered whether the ball was won and not whether an opponent was endangered or whatever spin they want to put on it these days. This season has seen lots of players being penalised for good, fair tackles and some have even been cautioned. Thank goodness for netball!
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:19 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Still on a Chris Wood related theme, what about that
turn and rocket shot that just cleared the bar in the
first half?

What a goal that would have been.

(Unless fat boy decided to rule it out)

Yes, noticed that. Absolute rocket. A good striker now is woody.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 am

The fact Dermot Gallagher has said that about the challenge/assault on Wood shows a few things:

1) Ref watch on Sky is the most pointless bit of TV ever
2) Gallagher is just a puppet agreeing with all other refs and VAR decisions
3) The system is open to be viewed as being corrupt as the decisions are varying from week to week or, in our case, minute to minute. There was a similar foul given shortly after which Moss couldn't wait to give
4) Instead of accepting an incorrect decision, the clowns like Gallagher, try and justify them. It just makes them all look even worse and questions their integrity even more
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

ijkay
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by ijkay » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 am

Goodclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 am
The fact Dermot Gallagher has said that about the challenge/assault on Wood shows a few things:

1) Ref watch on Sky is the most pointless bit of TV ever
2) Gallagher is just a puppet agreeing with all other refs and VAR decisions
3) The system is open to be viewed as being corrupt as the decisions are varying from week to week or, in our case, minute to minute. There was a similar foul given shortly after which Moss couldn't wait to give
4) Instead of accepting an incorrect decision, the clowns like Gallagher, try and justify them. It just makes them all look even worse and questions their integrity even more
If it had gone to VAR and been awarded Gallagher would have said correct decision
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret FactualFrank