Should I be worried about the summer

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Should I be worried about the summer

Post by gtclaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 am

I believe we have the foundations of a very good side, if we could get quality additions on the right, I think a top 8 place would be easily achievable. That's my worry, I think the foundations are so good that it's in danger of being ripped apart by preditors with lots of money. We could be left with a massive rebuild which won't be easy. Am I worrying too much

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Re: Should I be worried about the summer

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nT5JBrKC5M0

I’m more worried about the baggage retrieval system at Heathrow

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm

No, it could go either way. We keep the really good nucleus of players who are interesting other predatory clubs and we add 2 or 3 genuine upgrades in certain key positions, such as down our right (for sensible money) and start next season as a nailed on top half side. OR, seriously big money talks, heads are turned, the predators get their way and we're left with bucket loads of cash and no team come the end of July and we do what we do worst and start panic buying. As I say, it could go either way!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:10 pm

I think all of our players are available, at the right price - but I guess that's the case at most clubs.

But I'm sure the board are aware that selling too much could cost us our place in the Premier League, which could cost us the money we've brought in for said player, ten fold.

Let's be fair though, it's not often we sell a player for peanuts. We seem to have a pretty decent record of selling players and getting a very good price for them (obviously excluding players out of contract or with clauses).

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:13 pm

We used to say that the grand total is greater than the sum of the parts. To an extent this is still true, but not as much, I now think that we have four players who would be of interest to other far richer clubs

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Worst case scenario we lose Tarky,Taylor,McNeil . The rest are easily replaced ( bound to be some natural wastage )
While Tarks will almost definitely go and rightly so for his career, hopefully we’ll keep Taylor and unless DM scores a few before end of season (awkward one that) I don’t think the real big boys will come in .Id like 1 great season next yr from him then big money and good for him as well .He needs another developing year here imo ,when he’ll score maybe 8/9 over a season

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:34 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Worst case scenario we lose Tarky,Taylor,McNeil . The rest are easily replaced ( bound to be some natural wastage )
While Tarks will almost definitely go and rightly so for his career, hopefully we’ll keep Taylor and unless DM scores a few before end of season (awkward one that) I don’t think the real big boys will come in .Id like 1 great season next yr from him then big money and good for him as well .He needs another developing year here imo ,when he’ll score maybe 8/9 over a season
Strangely, I feel that if anyone comes in for McNeil, it's more likely to be the top European teams than any of the top six here. It would take a very big offer though as we very sensibly tied him down to a long contract last year.

Players come and go, it's always been the case but Burnley are looking better and better as each season pans out. If we sell for decent money, we'll have more to spend on replacements. Simple as that.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Personally think we’ve been just on the edge of having a really good squad for the past few seasons, what we need in terms of signings now is quality over quantity. I’d love to see the right side of the team upgraded, both RB and RW, we looked so dangerous vs Spurs on the left, but the right side is so defensive, If we could get the right firing like the left we’d be extremely good.
So for me we need RB and RW, add a CM to that as well to replace Jeff who looks like is off, and keep what we’ve got, we would be in good shape.
Assuming Gibson will be leaving, along with maybe Brady, Lennon, to free up some wages.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 pm
And we have a ready made replacement for Pope in Bailey Peacock-Farrell as well.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Yea I'm worried,we could lose 3 or 4 key players and our reluctance to spend on replacements could cost us....in Dyche we trust though....

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Honestly think that the next few months on the pitch and the decisions made by the board in the summer will define the club for the next decade.

Get Europe and suspect we’ll keep the core of the team. It’s down to the Board to reject anything other than outrageous offers and keep the squad in tact, let go a few of the out-of-contract high earners and add some real quality.

There’s a few from the teams in the relegation zone that I’d take and may come here over others if we had a place in Europe.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Massive summer ahead for us. Hendrick, Brady, Hart and Lennon are out of contract. There's going to be interest in Tarkowski, Pope and McNeil. Gibson will be leaving, despite a little run of games, I think Vydra will go as well.

Certainly potential for 5 or 6 to go.

Although, providing we hold off offers for our first team squad, Hendrick would be the only one who could go.

It's now or never for the board. If we're going to kick on, then this summer will be the time to do it.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:13 pm

If I was McNeil I’d be looking at a move to Dortmund or another side of that ilk abroad. Money talks though...

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 pm
And we have a ready made replacement for Pope in Bailey Peacock-Farrell as well.
If Peacock Farrel was ready, he'd be on the bench ahead of Hart.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:18 pm

I think DM will stay another year, as it will benefit the club, and him, he will know that we can give him enough money at the moment, and he will improve and get us more money with another good prem season. Pope will be expensive and maybe not wanted by top teams due to kicking and lack of exposure through the media and England wanting Henderson. Tarks may well go, but dyche can replace centre backs well. Taylor we can keep I hope.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:23 pm

These thoughts were raised last season and before....we Lost Tom Heaton,but things have panned out ok so far. I personally think the better players will stay vydra included.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Tough summer for sure. Certain to be offers for Tarks and Mcneil and maybe Dyche. Would expect Gibson Lennon Brady and Hendricks to go. JGB is a difficult one. Is he ever going to be fit enough. The good news is we are cash rich and don’t have to sell
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:07 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:26 pm
The good news is we are cash rich and don’t have to sell
. thinks that although the quoted sentence is true, that won’t stop this board from selling.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm

On the other hand if we can keep this team together and maybe strengthen our right hand side I think we'd have a genuine top half team who should be looking to push for Europe again.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 pm
Can’t see many coming in for Pope ,but quality keepers are ten a penny in all honesty .