Oil price

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Oil price

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm

The oil price has dropped by half since the start of the year and is currently trading (Brent Crude) at about $35 a barrel.

Are people as sceptical as me about how it will affect the prices on the garage forecourts?

I know it's not just about the price and that most of the price of petrol is tax, but even so. I'll bet the price goes down a lot more slowly than it goes up when there's a recovery.

Disclaimer: I have no car at the moment, so I have no axe to grind.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Oil price

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26 pm

I wonder if the govt will take advantage and increase fuel duty?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I have an axe to grind and I'd like to grind it on the heads of the oil billionaires and senior management of the petrol companies. When the price of oil drops it 'takes a little while for the drop to filter through to the pump's'. When the price of oil goes up it goes up at the pumps so fast you can't get to the garage quick enough after seeing the news before it has increased. Bloody criminals.
These 5 users liked this post: MT03ALG Gordaleman Taffy on the wing morpheus2 mybloodisclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Could we see a £1 a litre again soon

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... pumps.html

Am not holding my breath though

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:38 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm
I have an axe to grind and I'd like to grind it on the heads of the oil billionaires and senior management of the petrol companies. When the price of oil drops it 'takes a little while for the drop to filter through to the pump's'. When the price of oil goes up it goes up at the pumps so fast you can't get to the garage quick enough after seeing the news before it has increased. Bloody criminals.
By petrol Companies you mean the public outlets? Because it is them who will forestall a drop in the price to the public.

Airlines are suffering now that fewer people are flying and the drop in the oil price will help them, but sadly not enough to prevert a few more Flybes if this Virus issue is not solved soon.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:38 pm
By petrol Companies you mean the public outlets? Because it is them who will forestall a drop in the price to the public.

Airlines are suffering now that fewer people are flying and the drop in the oil price will help them, but sadly not enough to prevert a few more Flybes if this Virus issue is not solved soon.
Big organisations like airlines 'Hedge' their purchases months in advance to try and even out ups and downs in the price. Normally, with the price as low as it it is right now they would probably be buying futures like mad at the moment. Question is, do they have the cash flow to do it right now?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm
Not borne out by fuelwatchdog.co.uk's data (not absolutely granular but pretty good) and in fact we've been shielded from the worst rises quite a few times.
historic-car-fuel-prices.jpg
historic-car-fuel-prices.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

karatekid
Been Liked: 1111 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

It's the 'Feather and Rocket' effect. Prices come down like a feather but go up like a rocket.
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:49 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Not borne out by fuelwatchdog.co.uk's data (not absolutely granular but pretty good) and in fact we've been shielded from the worst rises quite a few times.historic-car-fuel-prices.jpg
Have you really just done this? Have you really gone online to seek this out? Well done mate, you have more time in a day than I have. Not to worry. :D :D :D

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:21 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Have you really just done this? Have you really gone online to seek this out? Well done mate, you have more time in a day than I have. Not to worry. :D :D :D
Took less time than it took for you to write your first post. Just thought some data might help the debate.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:13 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:21 pm
Took less time than it took for you to write your first post. Just thought some data might help the debate.
It's fine mate, honest. To be fair to you you have at least posted the actual graph on here which is commendable, too many just post a link because they can't be bothered, which means I don't see it because unless it's comedy or the occasional news item I don't click on links. Cheers.

Oh by the way it doesn't take me long to type, been doing it for years for a living. :D
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:24 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:13 pm
It's fine mate, honest. To be fair to you you have at least posted the actual graph on here which is commendable, too many just post a link because they can't be bothered, which means I don't see it because unless it's comedy or the occasional news item I don't click on links. Cheers.

Oh by the way it doesn't take me long to type, been doing it for years for a living. :D
I know you just said you don't click on links but I'd strongly encourage you to make an exception and have a look at this here.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 pm

As mentioned above, the price of Dated Brent, which is the global benchmark for crude oil, is only part of the retail price of petrol and diesel in UK. Gov't tax, road fuel duty and VAT are by far the great part. And, the cost of refining plus running retail operation has to be taken into account. So, if crude oil has fallen by half, don't expect 65p per litre at the pump, tax and VAT will be more than that (without checking HMRC for exact tax figs).

Airlines are mentioned above. The price fall started because airlines stopped buying jet, because flights were cancelled, because people weren't buying tickets. Airlines jet hedging programmes are complex, they need to have a forecast of ticket sales, as well as a sense of the future price of oil. And, they need to have a sense of what their competitors are doing - no point hedging fuel price at USD 65 when others didn't hedge and are buying at just USD 64, never mind 20 dollars below your hedge price... Don't forget that hedging requires a good credit status, not something that Flybe or many other airlines can afford.

Latest piece is OPEC, well Saudi Arabia v Russia. Too much crude oil for the world demand, so OPEC wants to cut back production, but Russia, who isn't a member, but had for the past few years been co-operating, said not cutting back. So Saudi is turning up production.

We will see lower fuel prices, but it won't directly match fall in brent.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:24 pm
I know you just said you don't click on links but I'd strongly encourage you to make an exception and have a look at this here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mint...you got me good.

The tea boy turned good (actually if you ignore the Stock/Aitkin/Waterman crap music Astley is actually a very good singer. Always was.).

I like the young lady on there though.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:52 pm

All brought about because of corona virus fears . Less people travelling !!!

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Saudi Arabia manipulating the production of oil and therefore the price per barrel to punish other countries.

Whatever next?

Must have learnt that lesson from Donald Trump who has consistently weaponised trade to threaten trading partners like China and Mexico.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Saudis sorting Russkies.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:28 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm
Saudi Arabia manipulating the production of oil and therefore the price per barrel to punish other countries.

Whatever next?

Must have learnt that lesson from Donald Trump who has consistently weaponised trade to threaten trading partners like China and Mexico.
To be fair, Kenton, Saudi/opec been doing this since 1971. They would argue "big oil" didn't pay a fair price for Saudi crude before then, somewhere around 6 dollars per barrel.

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:44 pm

Oil prices, OPEC & other producing countries is a complicated balance, the China and then global recessions drastically reduced the price of crude while the US Shale Oil market his simultaneously, OPEC & Saudi in particularly tried to drive down to where Shale was not economical. Due to Shale there has been an abundance of oil for markets post China boom, this virus is hurting short term and will see how it all works, however the fall is mainly due to Russia not playing ball with Saudi, therefore OPEC.

Oil reserves and time have been the mainstay of all companies and for decades there have been predictions about the tipping point where the global consumption his higher than the reserves. Therefore, that was a main driver in finding alternative energy decades ago, this also drove big oil in to the hard to get to oil, Arctic, deep water and Shale, each being far more expensive to find and drill, produce to market but kept them well ahead of the foretasted Tipping Point, while also limiting alternative fuel research but this is changing big time and it's hard to get your head around a young girl called Greta making such an impact in this change of attitude.

Refineries make very little profit in reality, additionally oil reserves are huge and these are what supplies refineries not crude from a pipeline, therefore the refineries are operating for quite a while prior to see any benefit to a drop in oil price. Depending on how long a fall lasts and stays at a lower price mandates the oil reserves actual cost to the refineries and therefore to consumers regarding fuel from refineries to customers.

Given the environmental concerns it is interesting to look at alternative fuels of today and what impact have they had over the recent decades, not that much in reality, however hydrogen in particularly will be a fuel source of the future I think, not short term future but not that far away.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Big organisations like airlines 'Hedge' their purchases months in advance to try and even out ups and downs in the price. Normally, with the price as low as it it is right now they would probably be buying futures like mad at the moment. Question is, do they have the cash flow to do it right now?
Probably by 90, 120 day and longer payment agreements. Otherwise the whole system would grind to a halt.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 pm
Probably by 90, 120 day and longer payment agreements. Otherwise the whole system would grind to a halt.
I doubt many airlines gets extended credit from suppliers, best will be settled 5 days from supply, the weaker (financially) will cash settled day of supply, maybe cash in advance.

Same applies on potential hedge transactions. Yes, I'd sell them a call option any day, with prompt cash terms. But, I was always inclined to say no on costless collars and similar structures. Swaps would always require credit annex and cash collateral terms.

Take a look next time you are on a plane at plate that has the owner's name on it. It's there so the lessor can claim the plane back when airline goes bust.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:12 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26 pm
I wonder if the govt will take advantage and increase fuel duty?
Nailed on certainty.