Athletico Madrid copied our style

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Athletico Madrid copied our style

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:00 am

Klopp was winging that it didnt feel right
Athletico executed the perfect anti-football Burnley style away win
Defend deep in numbers and hit on the counter
We all know it works.Maybe Sean will get credit for being a tactical genius now but I doubt it. The Spanish press will be praising Simiones game management skills

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Re: Athletico Madrid copied our style

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:46 am

They did defend well and were lethal going forward, largely thanks to the armless, legless Adrian.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:02 am

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:46 am
They did defend well and were lethal going forward, largely thanks to the armless, legless Adrian.
That really was a shocking display of goalkeeping,twice now Liverpool have been caught out in Europe's biggest competition by fielding a keeper who obviously is not up to the task......

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am

Adrian used to be a fine keeper.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 am

dougcollins wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am
Cant remember which goal it was but he fell over trying to dive,he almost looked like he had had a few beers his attempt s to save the last two goals were laughable,Klopp's not blaming him though.....watch him be shown the door at the end of the season like that other clown the Scousers had in goal in the Champions League final,cant belive these massive clubs trying to get by with shite back up keepers both City & Liverpool havnt got decent back up....even we have an England international with 70 odd caps as back up :lol:

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am

There was a report out about 4-5 years ago, saying Burnley played the Athletico way. Simeone invented it, and Dyche has copied its mantra. How to win games without the ball. I think it was after the Liverpool win, Sam and Gray, when they supposedly mullered us, but could have played on all week and Liverpool wouldn't have scored. The report also went on to the science behind it, showing the opponent the byline but restricting their option of cutting inside. Leaving the gap through the middle for a shot, but covering the inside of the post in order that 99% of shots are going straight at the keeper.
People wax about fancy attacking football, but when we get it right, and you can visibly see these top 6 sides getting more and more frustrated, our football is a joy to watch. You just have to appreciate the art of defending. Athletico are masters.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho Ashingtonclaret46 Juan Tanamera

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am

It’s a perfect way of playing the game when you’re one of the poorest teams in the league. With being realistic here some of the worst players. I’m not having a dig at us whatsoever but we buy Championship players and improve them.

But when you have the quality and resources A Madrid have to then play that way is embarrassing.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am
It’s a perfect way of playing the game when you’re one of the poorest teams in the league. With being realistic here some of the worst players. I’m not having a dig at us whatsoever but we buy Championship players and improve them.

But when you have the quality and resources A Madrid have to then play that way is embarrassing.
They did a job on a side that is walking the league in England personally i enjoyed watching Madrid make Liverpool look very very ordinary last night ..shout out for Tripps who stopped their best player..Mane getting a sniff last night.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat IanMcL

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am
There was a report out about 4-5 years ago, saying Burnley played the Athletico way. Simeone invented it, and Dyche has copied its mantra. How to win games without the ball. I think it was after the Liverpool win, Sam and Gray, when they supposedly mullered us, but could have played on all week and Liverpool wouldn't have scored. The report also went on to the science behind it, showing the opponent the byline but restricting their option of cutting inside. Leaving the gap through the middle for a shot, but covering the inside of the post in order that 99% of shots are going straight at the keeper.
People wax about fancy attacking football, but when we get it right, and you can visibly see these top 6 sides getting more and more frustrated, our football is a joy to watch. You just have to appreciate the art of defending. Athletico are masters.
Could be wrong but thought I'd heard Dyche say we'd been playing that way for years but only when it was brought to the European stage that our high pressing game was thought of as a new way. We'd been doing it for a while but we weren't a fashionable enough club to take the credit for it. Maybe I'd dreamt it. Either way. It's effective when it works.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am
All very true... .and I love the Defensive game Burnley play..But many many on Here Wanted to play the "pretty" Football of The top clubs in Europe it was never Achievable really.Dyche has been Likened to simeone for some time now.. with the Athletico Madrid team often in the shadows of the "greats" I personally Love watching em grind the 1..0s out with players who appear more humble and workmanlike than the Neymars and mbappe types who yes have great skill and flair....but boy like Klopp and the Arsenals do they throw their toys out of the pram if it doesn't go their way.Tripper last night was so humble in his after match comments and what a guy to overcome the episode at spurs...Leaving the footballing purists to flounder.I know who I'd rather watch tbh.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:02 am
That really was a shocking display of goalkeeping,twice now Liverpool have been caught out in Europe's biggest competition by fielding a keeper who obviously is not up to the task......
Just waiting now for the Pope to Liverpool rumours, and I don't mean in a religious way :o :lol:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:21 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am
Yes you are :lol: :lol: :lol:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am

They may be a normally a good defensive side, but Liverpool still managed well over 20 chances before the 90 minutes were up. And managed 11 chances on target.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:30 am

Claret32yrs wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 am
Could be wrong but thought I'd heard Dyche say we'd been playing that way for years but only when it was brought to the European stage that our high pressing game was thought of as a new way. We'd been doing it for a while but we weren't a fashionable enough club to take the credit for it. Maybe I'd dreamt it. Either way. It's effective when it works.
We have played that way for years, but it was only new to the Premier League. Simeone started it, when he was trying to compete with Real and Barca at their best, and it worked. Atletico have improved a lot since then, and don't have the need to play like that all the time, which I'd venture to say we don't need to play like that all the time either, not now, but when you are up against a better equipped, more talented squad it is so effective. The success lies in the ability to turn those fewer moments of possession into goals, and with Atleticos available talent they are far better equipped than us. On the plus side we are getting stronger in the hitting teams on the break dept season on season. The inclusion of Jay and Vyds, and especially the emergence of Dwight has given us so many more options.

I'm not a computer buff, but I'm sure someone on here would have the wherewithal to find the article I mentioned.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:30 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am
They may be a normally a good defensive side, but Liverpool still managed well over 20 chances before the 90 minutes were up. And managed 11 chances on target.
The difference being Frank...Madrid had a competent keeper...Liverpool didnt. :roll:

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am
They are a good defensive side, which is why you are missing the whole point of Simeone and Dyche system. Liverpool had over 20 chances in the 2-0 defeat on the Turf, but we could have played all week and they wouldn't have scored. It isn't about restricting shots, but stopping goals, and if you allow 11 shots on target, all outside the box, all directly at the keeper, you are doing a good defensive job.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am

Their defenders are brave, like ours.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 am

dougcollins wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am
Klopp after the beating...
adrian.gif
adrian.gif (733.17 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 am

I think being a Burnley fan has programmed me to appreciate the Atletico style of play...thought they were really excellent last night. A feature of their, and our, game seems to be being pretty clinical when chances do come along. They are a de-luxe, higher quality version of us !
Last edited by Stalbansclaret on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 am

Burnletico