ARTICLE: Late comeback robs Clarets of big cup win

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Late comeback robs Clarets of big cup win

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Back to 60 years ago and a cup tie that turned on a poor refereeing decision

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/late-comeb ... ig-cup-win

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: Late comeback robs Clarets of big cup win

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Great read! Despite Clifford Burrows worries, isn't that festival still taking place?
As for the match itself...I can remember we were standing near some rovers supporters who, when Burnley were winning 3-0, were rather subdued but after that penalty and the subsequent goals, the mood changed completely. Great players on both sides though. I wonder what VAR would have made of the penalty award.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Still a few weeks short of my 8th birthday I went to this game with my eldest brother. We watched the game from the main stand having acquired the two tickets from a Man Utd. employee through another relative of mine that knew him( don't ask, I was a schoolboy and didn't understand how tickets sometimes got passed around).
It was a dull, dry day and the number of people making their way from the bus station to the ground was immense. No segregation, of course but the Beehole End had a good showing of blue and white but all I was bothered about was claret and blue and my hero, Jimmy McIlroy.
0-0 at the break but a different story was to evolve. We went three up and I distinctly remember two of them. Pilkington's opener was very similar to the goal he scored later in the year against Hamburg,cutting in from the left and shooting with his right foot. Also the third goal as a reverse pass from the left found John Connelly racing through at inside right and he lifted the ball over the advancing Harry Leyland. Surely that was it. But as we all know it wasn't and I saw the first, in my lifetime of watching football, of many 'dodgy' penalties awarded. I can recall the local press having a 'field day' showing the incident which to any Clarets fans looked desperately dubious. Our scrapbook still reminds us of the injustice. I think we just panicked after that with a young full back on the pitch feeling wholly responsible for it. So 3-3 it ended and another replay but nearly 52,000 people made their way home without incident ready to go again in 4 days time. I was disappointed but my youthful optimism just told me that when we had a replay we won it so this one wouldn't be any different. :(

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20 pm

I like the formality and reverence " Mr J. McIlroy, a Burnley footballer"!?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Although I can't remember much about the league game against the Rovers the previous home match,this match remains in my memory as if it were yesterday. I usually stood on the Bee Hole end in those days but for some reason I ended up with my pals on a very packed Popular Side (the Long Side). Singing and chanting was not known at that time but I recall that the Burnley fans behind the goal were singing "Roll out the barrel" to Harry Leyland the somewhat rotund Rovers goalkeeper.
Even though it was 0-0 at half time I felt confident we would win easily and when it was 3-0 to the Clarets I
just thought normal service had been resumed. Even when the ref gave one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever seen for their penalty, I still felt fully confident that we would see the game out. But then the unbelievable happened...3-3 at full time.
I went to the replay on the train because my dad was working nights. Not a good night, we were out of the cup, which was massive in those days.