City player self-isolating

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: City player self-isolating

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm
last number I saw was that it was something along the lines of 11 times more deadly than the normal flu. The fact that governments are shutting things down all over the world at the advice of the scientists should tell even the most hardcore of doubters that **** is real - Trump will do anything to look good, keep positive numbers and make money yet even he has had to put a stop to things that will be harmful to all those things
The mortality rate from this in Italy, last I heard, was at 6%, which is much higher than average due to their high average age (the highest in Europe). This figure, and all others are also only vague because many people aren't reporting it due to very mild illness, meaning that the overall mortality rate may indeed be much smaller than it appears. Flu hovers around 1% or so apparently so even though it may be worse than flu it doesn't, on the face of it, seem much more dangerous. Also what is the percentage of people actually contracting it? China reports that they now seem to have it under some kind of control with less and less cases reported every day. The latest figures as of this morning showed just shy of 91k cases with over 64k now fully recovered and 3k plus deaths. China has a population of 1.36 billion. If these figures are to be believed then, with the peak seemingly passed, about .0006% of the population have had it, and they were taken by surprise.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:28 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:25 pm
The mortality rate from this in Italy, last I heard, was at 6%, which is much higher than average due to their high average age (the highest in Europe). This figure, and all others are also only vague because many people aren't reporting it due to very mild illness, meaning that the overall mortality rate may indeed be much smaller than it appears. Flu hovers around 1% or so apparently so even though it may be worse than flu it doesn't, on the face of it, seem much more dangerous. Also what is the percentage of people actually contracting it? China reports that they now seem to have it under some kind of control with less and less cases reported every day. The latest figures as of this morning showed just shy of 91k cases with over 64k now fully recovered and 3k plus deaths. China has a population of 1.36 billion. If these figures are to be believed then, with the peak seemingly passed, about .0006% of the population have had it, and they were taken by surprise.
I wouldn't believe a single figure or word that ever comes out of China regarding anything. South Korea is doing well though which is very encouraging

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:28 pm
I wouldn't believe a single figure or word that ever comes out of China regarding anything. South Korea is doing well though which is very encouraging
I have to agree with the bit about China, which is why I said 'if these figures are to be believed'. But there seems to be no doubt that they now seem to have it under control. South Korea seem to be doing fabulously well though as you say.
What I would like to see, when it is all over,* is some accurate figures regarding deaths worldwide (if such a thing is possible) to see how it measures up against flu/malaria/cholera etc. I could be wildly wrong but I suspect if we did we might all be wondering what all the fuss was about.

*Assuming I'm still alive. :D
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:39 pm
I have to agree with the bit about China, which is why I said 'if these figures are to be believed'. But there seems to be no doubt that they now seem to have it under control. South Korea seem to be doing fabulously well though as you say.
What I would like to see, when it is all over,* is some accurate figures regarding deaths worldwide (if such a thing is possible) to see how it measures up against flu/malaria/cholera etc. I could be wildly wrong but I suspect if we did we might all be wondering what all the fuss was about.

*Assuming I'm still alive. :D
I'd like to see proper investment from not only the Governments but also from the private sector (who are being whacked right now) into things like infectious disease research and hospitals etc - this type of thing could become more regular and this has shown how woefully unprepared we are as a world population

edit: as to what all the fuss is about (I know your comment was tongue in cheek) - just imagine your parents are over 70 and have underlying conditions, the selfishness I'm seeing from some people is disturbing

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:30 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:14 am
Agreed, but the evidence from other countries is suggesting that it won't be anything like 80%, in fact if you use China as an example:
Facts as of this morning 10 minutes ago:
Total cases - 80,814
Recovered - 64,151
Ongoing 13,486
Deaths - 3,177
This in a country of 1.386 billion people. And they appear to have it under control. That is about .0006% (I think) of the population. Why do we (or you) assume 80% of people here will get it?
I don’t assume 80% of the population will get it. I’m just going off the government’s worst case scenario figure.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm
I'd like to see proper investment from not only the Governments but also from the private sector (who are being whacked right now) into things like infectious disease research and hospitals etc - this type of thing could become more regular and this has shown how woefully unprepared we are as a world population

edit: as to what all the fuss is about (I know your comment was tongue in cheek) - just imagine your parents are over 70 and have underlying conditions, the selfishness I'm seeing from some people is disturbing
I now what you mean mate but both my wife and I don't have a parent between us now...her dad went about 15 months ago but if he were still around yes, I would be very worried for him.