Premier League gone surely...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Re: Premier League gone surely...

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Leisure wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm
The word from the club is that details of potential refunds will be given next week. Not sure of the use of 'potential'?
I won't be begging for a refund. It's not Burnley's fault.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Why suspend sport ? Let fans decide

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm
With the London marathon moved to the 4th October it looks like it's becoming a voluntary partial lockdown in a way, with people having to stay at home instead of attending the big events this year.
Even better for the rest of us. Go out, get the damned bug now. If you're in the 95% who are going to feel rough for a week, so be it. If you're unfortunate enough to be in the 5% who will be more seriously affected, the fact that others are in hiding means the health provision will be better...

Edit: My employer is going past the government advice which simply means we have a hotchpotch of responses, many if them dreamt up by ****tards in HR who have no clue what they're doing.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm
As long as you can manage it whilst remaining 2 mtrs apart :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:20 pm
I won't be begging for a refund. It's not Burnley's fault.
I don't think our fans should be pushing for refunds on season tickets. I also think we should keep up our direct debits for 20/21.

We have had incredible vfm in the last 11 years, including frozen prices and for many a free year.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm
I don't think our fans should be pushing for refunds on season tickets. I also think we should keep up our direct debits for 20/21.

We have had incredible vfm in the last 11 years, including frozen prices and for many a free year.
Spot on. City tickets a bit different as Burnley wouldn't see much of that money.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:51 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm

I purchased my Season Ticket as soon as the details came out... I agree with you SC we have had incredible value.....

I hear everyone (who purchased tickets for) will be receiving refunds for the England under21 game that has been cancelled on the 30th....

Have already missed out on our luxury holiday (celebrating silver wedding in April) Singapore and Cruise home, at least we got a full refund.
Now it looks like the Theatre Trip we organised to London as a replacement will also go to the wall, whether we get anything back on that is another matter, hotel and theatre....

Always told the wife she was jinxed :roll:

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:59 pm

Bosscat your consumer habits are pure “Swiss Tony”
This user liked this post: Bosscat

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:51 pm
I purchased my Season Ticket as soon as the details came out... I agree with you SC we have had incredible value.....

I hear everyone (who purchased tickets for) will be receiving refunds for the England under21 game that has been cancelled on the 30th....

Have already missed out on our luxury holiday (celebrating silver wedding in April) Singapore and Cruise home, at least we got a full refund.
Now it looks like the Theatre Trip we organised to London as a replacement will also go to the wall, whether we get anything back on that is another matter, hotel and theatre....

Always told the wife she was jinxed :roll:
Shame about your "Luxury" lifestyle...But there's always the Hedgehogs to look after.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Another option is that if this season has to run into next season, then next season we play each club once, not twice.

I'm sure there are mathematical sums which makes it fair, meaning we may not have to play Man City away, but we'll have to play them at home and Liverpool away. That's a very simplistic way of it, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:09 pm

The impact of the situation isn't strictly limited to the fixtures themselves. It could also have a pronounced affect on the performance of a team.

The players that are self-isolating won't be training to the same degree. For those that actually contract the virus the debilitating effects, along with the recovery time required, could reduce their playing availability or performance in the short term.

The team that protects itself the best and keeps its players free from the virus and as close to being " match ready " as possible could gain a marked competitive advantage should the season be allowed to continue.

If all our lads and staff are currently free from the virus, which I seriously doubt given the rapid severity of the spread, a lockdown at the Gawthorpe training ground ( limited to the players and key personal ) could help us to maintain or maybe improve our competitive edge.

I'm not sure if Ash cabs have the financial resources to fund an expansion into Ash camper vans though. So it might be a case of camp beds on the indoor pitch or tents out on the training pitches ( bit nippy ). Or maybe a impromptu training camp on the Isle of Eriskay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQuKCpkbCRE

Obviously, keeping everyone safe is the first order of importance during this time, but if we can put a strategy in place to do that and strengthen our playing position it might be something that we could be thinking about.

Personally, I think if the season does go ahead the remainder of the matches will be played behind closed doors and that all the teams will have to self quarantine for the entire period to preserve the chance of that happening - whether their players have it or not.

Other than that I could see all the middle teams, and the top six teams in the Premier League ( Sheffield getting the nod over Wolves because they have a game in hand ) being awarded their current placings. The teams that are fighting it out for promotion or relegation would play in short tournaments to decide the outcome.

In the case of the Premier League that would mean the bottom six playing to avoid relegation. I would have gone with the bottom four, but the point spread is so close at the bottom of that table that it would unfairly benefit West Ham and to a lesser extent Brighton. Maybe automatically relegate Norwich and then have the next four play - but I would prefer to see Norwich stay at the expense of another team :)

It would deny us the opportunity to try and qualify for Europe though.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 pm
Shame about your "Luxury" lifestyle...But there's always the Hedgehogs to look after.
Knob!!! :D

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm
Knob!!! :D
I Didn't like saying. :D
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Covid 19 is bad for humans...but great for the environment. The human carbon footprint has not been this low since 1750 !

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 pm
Spot on. City tickets a bit different as Burnley wouldn't see much of that money.
Burnley wouldn't see any of it.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 pm

Espia wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 pm
Covid 19 is bad for humans...but great for the environment. The human carbon footprint has not been this low since 1750 !
Bang goes our hope for a warm summer to kill off the virus.🙁
This user liked this post: dsr

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Leisure wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 pm
Burnley wouldn't see any of it.
I'm sure that they would get a small handling charge, but neither here nor there.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Factualfrank : i tried to get on talkshite with a similar idea to yours : finish this season when they can , and then next season split all the leagues in half by how they finish . In other words , the premier would consist of two leagues of 10 ( 18 games) . The top league would be playing for European places , and the bottom league to avoid relegation . You'd have the same in the EFL with the top half playing for promotion . Only two teams would be promoted/relegated and there would be no play offs . If this isn't enough games , they could play the teams in the other half just once , which would have to be drawn if it's home or away ( 28 games) and each team would play 14 at home and 14 away .

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 pm

expoultryboy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 pm
Factualfrank : i tried to get on talkshite with a similar idea to yours : finish this season when they can , and then next season split all the leagues in half by how they finish . In other words , the premier would consist of two leagues of 10 ( 18 games) . The top league would be playing for European places , and the bottom league to avoid relegation . You'd have the same in the EFL with the top half playing for promotion . Only two teams would be promoted/relegated and there would be no play offs . If this isn't enough games , they could play the teams in the other half just once , which would have to be drawn if it's home or away ( 28 games) and each team would play 14 at home and 14 away .
That's Numberwang!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Re: Why suspend sport ? Let fans decide

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:50 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:15 pm
It's about spreading out the rate at which people catch it. Rather than half the country having it at the same time (stretching already stretched services beyond breaking), it means fewer people have it at the same time - though over time the same number will have ended up getting it (better to have 500 a month for 3 months than 1500 next week). It's not really about stopping people getting it, it's controlling how many have it at once. The flip side is that if we tell everyone to stay in for 3 months, nobody will get infected which sounds great.....until they all come outside again in June and we go back to square 1.

Eventually enough people will have had it and recovered and are (hopefully) immune, that the chances of passing it on are much reduced as the person that has it is probably coughing on someone who's immune so transmission doesn't happen. This is the herd immunity thing.

Having said all that, I can't see how football can pick up in April unless all teams have all players and staff tested, given the all clear and they play a load of half-arsed games behind closed doors very quickly. If players at clubs are getting it at different times, clubs aren't going to have complete squads available for a few months.
that's exactly what I meant but I couldn't be arsed typing it all out - so cheers !! :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 pm
Another option is that if this season has to run into next season, then next season we play each club once, not twice.

I'm sure there are mathematical sums which makes it fair, meaning we may not have to play Man City away, but we'll have to play them at home and Liverpool away. That's a very simplistic way of it, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
Sounds sensible and an easy (ish) way to do that would be

Current first place play current second away
Third at home
fourth away
fifth at home
sixth away

and so on...

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Another option would be for current standings to stand so to speak. But at the nearest opportunity the bottom three premier league teams enter a play off with the top three championship teams for relegation / promotion.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 pm
Another option would be for current standings to stand so to speak. But at the nearest opportunity the bottom three premier league teams enter a play off with the top three championship teams for relegation / promotion.
No....next fixture city and as you were. Dont complicate anything.

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 pm

The face of football will change after coved-19, players won’t get paid, debts won’t get serviced, a lot of clubs will go bankrupt Pl EFL NL etc

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Re: Premier League gone...

Post by Untinted Glasses » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 pm
Misleading thread title. Mods please delete.
Theres still people dying in this world of starvation, people giving their lives fighting wars that have nothing to do with and yet you moan that a thread "is misleading and needs deleting" dear god. Get a grip man. It's time to take a step back and reevaluate your life imo.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:29 pm

SummitClaret wrote: I don't think our fans should be pushing for refunds on season tickets.
I agree. I won't be pushing for a refund for this 19-20 season.

I normally pay for my season ticket up front in the Early Bird period. I won't be doing it for the 20-21 season though.

I cannot see how a full 20-21 season is going to take place at this stage. It looks like a vaccine could be a year away.
If the virus peaks in May/June, there is still likely to be a number of people becoming ill when the season is due to start in early August. Also, the virus could ramp up again in winter (please no).

This would leave the footballing authorities with all sorts of issues:
  • Not wanting to fuel the virus with gatherings as the winter sets in.
  • Promotion Relegation for 19-20 season
  • Last season unresolved
  • Staging matches when the virus might be still spreading
  • No time for pre-season friendlies unless played behind closed doors.
  • Players who haven't yet had the virus finally getting it
  • Matches having to be cancelled again.
I hope that the governments plan will be successful causing the virus to burn itself out over summer and also that a vaccine will be available earlier than expected. However, my uneducated guess is that it could be around this time next year before everything has settled down and we are ready to hold matches again on a regular basis.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Given the experts reckon it will be between 10 and 14 weeks afore the
virus peaks and maybe another 10 -14 weeks afore it drops to a level where
there's very few cases and no deaths I find it difficult to see any matches going ahead
afore Sept/Oct. Possibly even later.

Find it difficult to think that they will not wish to complete this years' remaining
9 fixtures. There's too much money involved at all levels and those pressing for promotion
to the Premier League would lose out. Well, the top three. Promotion is worth over a 100m
to each of those clubs.

So think they might put back next season by 3/4 months and see if they can
get those 9 fixtures played afore the end of this year.

That might mean no footie for the next 6 months or so.
And not just footie.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 pm
Arteta's positive test surely the last straw...
Hope the straw's not too long ;)
This user liked this post: thatdberight

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Re: Premier League gone...

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:46 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 pm
Theres still people dying in this world of starvation, people giving their lives fighting wars that have nothing to do with and yet you moan that a thread "is misleading and needs deleting" dear god. Get a grip man. It's time to take a step back and reevaluate your life imo.
Babe don’t be like that
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:55 pm

jurek wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 pm
Given the experts reckon it will be between 10 and 14 weeks afore the
virus peaks and maybe another 10 -14 weeks afore it drops to a level where
there's very few cases and no deaths I find it difficult to see any matches going ahead
afore Sept/Oct. Possibly even later.

Find it difficult to think that they will not wish to complete this years' remaining
9 fixtures. There's too much money involved at all levels and those pressing for promotion
to the Premier League would lose out. Well, the top three. Promotion is worth over a 100m
to each of those clubs.

So think they might put back next season by 3/4 months and see if they can
get those 9 fixtures played afore the end of this year.

That might mean no footie for the next 6 months or so.
And not just footie.
n theory thats fine but takes no account of transfer window so are we saying clubs cant sign players..therefore if promoted unable to sign new players extend windows for all..its over ,,its just a matter of time before the premier lge state it

ecc
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:16 pm

There are people saying we'll all be dead pretty soon. But then there are people saying Hitler is still alive.

The Chinese - I'm sorry but I'd like to trust their authorities but I'll wait a while however, let's hope they HAVE got it beaten - seem to have curtailed its spread. Not completely but we are being told they've got the better of it.

After that, football is nothing.

But football is money. I think we might just see how powerful the TV companies are. They will presumably have insurance although for events of force majeure it must be incredibly expensive. Not that I feel for them.

UEFA seem to be thinking of postponing the Euros. One presumes there may well be financial reasons. The fact it's spread over a large number of countries this year might prove to be a "blessing" for UEFA.

I think UEFA will want, if at all possible, to get the domestic seasons finished. With ten games to go in most of the major countries it could be doable IF - and, yes, it's a very big "if" - health systems can get the virus under control within a few weeks. But if we get close to 3 April - which is only three weeks - and it's looking gloomy then it will become increasingly difficult for the TV companies and they call the tune.

Nobody knows. Time, as ever, will tell but there's a lot of money at stake. Far more in many other industries though. The number of companies that will go the wall doesn't bear thinking about.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Goalposts wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:55 pm
n theory thats fine but takes no account of transfer window so are we saying clubs cant sign players..therefore if promoted unable to sign new players extend windows for all..its over ,,its just a matter of time before the premier lge state it
Yes, if they extend the season are they going to extend the length of players contracts since a lot of contracts finish at the end of a season for continuity?

Or maybe they could have a transfer window now with only agents travelling across countries? It'd keep interest in football going to feed our withdrawal symptoms......plus if the agents get Coronavirus it'd only be a positive thing for foootball ;) ;)

rob63

Post by rob63 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 pm

LS7 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:59 pm
Bosscat your consumer habits are pure “Swiss Tony”
Swiss Tony or Claret Tony :?:

rob63

Post by rob63 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:07 am

Bigvince wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm
As long as you can manage it whilst remaining 2 mtrs apart :D
2 metres apart? Is that self-isolation or does it become self-abuse? :shock:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 am

One sensible suggestion would be just push the fixtures back until ready to start.

World Cup in 2022 is already at a strange time of year so perhaps this could actually work well with that in mind?

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 am

One idea I’ve heard floated is that the season will be declared complete with the current standings. So, Liverpool will be champions of the PL, Leeds of the Championship etc. There will be promotion but no relegation, resulting in a 22 team premier league next season.

Another theory is that the current season will just be suspended indefinitely with play simply restarting when things have significantly cooled down. The thinking here is that if we’re in this for the long haul, the next season, which begins in August, might be affected as well. Football may not be back until late Autumn or even beyond that. Given the Euros are likely to be moved to 2021, in this scenario there probably wouldn’t be enough time to complete domestic competitions. So in effect the 2020-2021 season would be cancelled so that the current season can be completed.

Interesting to see what they do because it’s a real head scratcher.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am

Players out of work now for the foreseeable, do you reckon they will be claiming benefits or like me they will have put a tenner away each week for a rainy day.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 am

HieronymousBoschHobs wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 am
One idea I’ve heard floated is that the season will be declared complete with the current standings. So, Liverpool will be champions of the PL, Leeds of the Championship etc. There will be promotion but no relegation, resulting in a 22 team premier league next season.

Another theory is that the current season will just be suspended indefinitely with play simply restarting when things have significantly cooled down. The thinking here is that if we’re in this for the long haul, the next season, which begins in August, might be affected as well. Football may not be back until late Autumn or even beyond that. Given the Euros are likely to be moved to 2021, in this scenario there probably wouldn’t be enough time to complete domestic competitions. So in effect the 2020-2021 season would be cancelled so that the current season can be completed.

Interesting to see what they do because it’s a real head scratcher.
I can't see the other teams in the championship allowing that without a challenge. There is so much money at stake for promotion. Unless the EFL has something watertight written into its constitution for such eventualities.

HieronymousBoschHobs

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:01 am

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am
Players out of work now for the foreseeable, do you reckon they will be claiming benefits or like me they will have put a tenner away each week for a rainy day.

Can I borrow a tenner?

HieronymousBoschHobs

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 am
I can't see the other teams in the championship allowing that without a challenge. There is so much money at stake for promotion. Unless the EFL has something watertight written into its constitution for such eventualities.
Yeah this is why I feel they will be very reluctant to just write off the current season, all sorts of issues. Broadcasters will be part of the equation too.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 am

Might need to take drastic measures like scrap all domestic cup competions for a season. Freeing up space to fit in more midweek games etc and condense the season. The stupid decision to award Qatar the WC and play it in winter might just be a help now, by freeing up summer 22 so next season can overrun a bit if needed.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:21 am

Cricketfieldclarets wrote: One sensible suggestion would be just push the fixtures back until ready to start.
This is what will have to be done. The government are now jumping on the Bandwagon by banning all mass gatherings according to the BBC. Legislation to go through Parliament next week.

The question then is - when will all this be over?

My uneducated guess, for what it's worth, will be around this time next year. Hopefully there will be a vaccine by then and any secondary 'winter peak' in cases (should this happen) will be behind us. Things should then be getting back to normal.

Possibly the Premier league could then just restart and finish the 2019-2021 season (as it would then be). Season ends in May/June 2021. Transfer window opens. Euro's take place. Pre-season friendlies and then start of the 2021-22 season.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:23 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:21 am
The government are now jumping on the Bandwagon by banning all mass gatherings according to the BBC.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:24 am

I think UEFA will want, if at all possible, to get the domestic seasons finished. With ten games to go in most of the major countries it could be doable IF - and, yes, it's a very big "if" - health systems can get the virus under control within a few weeks. But if we get close to 3 April - which is only three weeks - and it's looking gloomy then it will become increasingly difficult for the TV companies and they call the tune.

Nobody knows. Time, as ever, will tell but there's a lot of money at stake. Far more in many other industries though. The number of companies that will go the wall doesn't bear thinking about.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that this will be gone in 6 months
Behind closed door games may be possible for players/clubs virus free but nothing else.
China has taken the most draconian actions which are unlikely to be tolerated in Europe so I think we are at least 6 months away from seeing light at the end of the tunnel
I suppose we (BFC) may feel the pinch more than other clubs in this league re contracts and money available without TV income

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am
I know you're jesting,but outwith the PL/Championship,this could have a major impact on player's day-to-day finances,we've already seen several lower league clubs struggling to pay monthly salaries,in the worst case scenario some clubs could go to the wall,leading to players being out of work,and unlike the top-end of the game,many of those won't have huge savings to cushion the blow,we saw with Bury how devastating a club folding can be,however in that situation at least their playing squad had the options to get moves elsewhere,in the current climate all the clubs will be tightening their belts and waiting to see what develops,and even those that are generally well-run might have to implement some cost-cutting measures,even if for the short-term,a lot depends on the length of the fixture suspension,IF it's only for a month or so(which is optimistic) then clubs should be able to manage,although it's feasible that some staff will be on reduced hours.or for matchday staff not required at all just now.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Another point that I have heard is that if the season is not allowed to conclude there could be several large litigation cases. In particular from clubs who stand a good chance of getting into the Premiership. Promotion is most likely going to gain a club over £100 million.

There is also the question of TV contracts. Would Sky, BT etc want to conclude the season. Surely they won't try to get the money back that they have already paid the clubs. If subscribers start cancelling they would need to take the loss.

I think that the season will end up being payed out whenever that is.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 pm

I think its a good idea for fans to tell the club to keep any refunds and donate to the Food bank charity

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 pm
I think its a good idea for fans to tell the club to keep any refunds and donate to the Food bank charity
Fans can do this themselves at any time.
The club are not refunding tickets for City at the moment which I don’t understand.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Fans can do this themselves at any time.
The club are not refunding tickets for City at the moment which I don’t understand.
That's quite normal. At the minute, this is just, in theory, a rearranged game. Refund or "tickets valid for rearrangement" would normally take a couple of days to announce.

Of course it's not really like that but just give the bureaucracy and the decision a few days. That's not much to ask for.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm
Another point that I have heard is that if the season is not allowed to conclude there could be several large litigation cases. In particular from clubs who stand a good chance of getting into the Premiership. Promotion is most likely going to gain a club over £100 million.

There is also the question of TV contracts. Would Sky, BT etc want to conclude the season. Surely they won't try to get the money back that they have already paid the clubs. If subscribers start cancelling they would need to take the loss.

I think that the season will end up being payed out whenever that is.
The clubs that aren't in promotion places are unlikely to get anywhere with sueing the league. They can't sue the league for not finishing the season if it's not the league's fault. They can't sue for not getting promotion when they clearly haven't earned it. All they can sue for is that the league shouldn't be promoting Leeds and West Brom; and what would be the point?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm
That's quite normal. At the minute, this is just, in theory, a rearranged game. Refund or "tickets valid for rearrangement" would normally take a couple of days to announce.

Of course it's not really like that but just give the bureaucracy and the decision a few days. That's not much to ask for.
Fair point...its hopefully going to be rearranged.I recall the Reading cup game down there being called off even though we gained entry.we were reimbursed as we couldn't attend the re arranged fixture.