A few Different News Topics

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6171 times

A few Different News Topics

Post by KateR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Mr Salmond; trial continues, what are the male thoughts on what he is being accused of, such as groping a bottom, trying to kiss a women while pretending to be a zombie?

my thoughts, not harmless fun, not rape so far, sexual harassment yes I think so. He seems to be somewhat lacking in confidence, wanting to have a sexual relation(s), an abuser of his status and power at the time yes. Should he go to jail, jury is out for me and will continue to watch occasionally.

Laurence Fox; Accuses someone of being racist when they called him a "white privileged male", is it a racist comment?

My thoughts, potentially but not in reality, he probably is a white privileged male, so while truthful seems a storm in a teacup, any of you white privileged males want to comment :) Racist remarks seem only to go one way and always aimed at the Caucasian population, or am I out of touch here and missing something. I have to say I have never personally had a racist comment said to me and have when working lived in many different countries/cultures and have been very carful regarding my words, yet I will admit long ago I am sure I used racist words such as black in the same sentence when being angry. I don't have any real remorse for it yet I do believe it was wrong and should never have done it but don't berate myself for it, I also know very well I have no racist thoughts and what I said was factual, they just happened to be a different colour, which no one can deny, that I used along with a swear word.

Refugees at the Greek Border;

Apparently the EU are offering financial incentives for them to go home, yet this is only for a select parameter, will they go and just turn around after a few days only to arrive somewhere else. The UK is out of the EU, should we be offering to take some refugees, is the jungle camp in France now in many smaller camps, have the refugees in France abandoned all hope of coming to the UK? Will the refugees at the Greek border try to make there way to the UK if allowed in to the EU, which I feel they surely will. Given the conditions at the refugee camps I would expect the virus to spread like wildfire, yet I have not heard mention of that, did I miss something?

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1615 times

Re: A few Different News Topics

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Do they have Corona?
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 pm

I should imagine that regarding all three topics it won't be too long before someone call Boris Johnson a liar and a racist.
These 2 users liked this post: Claret32yrs Damo

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

The vernacular regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., is so fast changing it’s impossible to keep up. People are so easily upset nowadays.
As I’m confident I have no ill feelings to anybody for any of the above I say what I feel.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Do they have Corona?
Other soft drinks and beers are available you know
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Too many topics there to discuss each in detail Kate.
In short.... between races at Cheltenham.....to get the ball rolling....

Alex Salmond: The things he's accused of aren't in the same class as the Harvey Weinstein crimes but, if true, would mark him as somebody taking advantage of people because of his position of relative power (but at least having the sense to stop when rebuffed sufficiently). As one of the accusers has already pointed out, probably as much to do with exercising power as just for pure sexual gratification. Quite a few more accusers to take the stand yet though - so we'll wait and see (and, obviously, hope he gets a fair trial).

Laurence Fox: He's just received an official apology from Equity for calling him "a disgrace" after his appearance on Question Time. I have quite a lot of sympathy for Fox's views (that "Wokeness" has gone too far) and am completely against the "no-platforming" issues currently being encountered by people with (not necessarily very) right of centre political views. Calling somebody "white privileged male" is in the identity politics realm and used to try and shut down debate, I think LF was right to hit back. A lot of the people who bandy "privilege" around as an insult have had pretty privileged lives.

Refugees/Greek Border: Difficult situation. You cant blame Syrians for wanting out of a war zone (especially with their kids) but (from photographs) it looks like a lot of the refugees are young males (and even African) rather than being women/children fleeing Syrian war zones. I'd like Europe (including UK) to help genuine war refugees but Id like to discourage young men from leaving their homelands and thinking Europe is some sort of land of milk & honey. The situation is also complicated by politics- especially by Erdogan/Turkey trying to manipulate money from/play power games with the EU (Frau Doktor Merkel has been very compliant in the past). Greece is a bit pig-in-the-middle in this and have a lot of problems of their own.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret KateR

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:56 pm

What about the Rapper rapist? He is a piece of Sh!t......Alex Salmond Appears not to have a moral compass.like Weinstein hes predatory imo.jail awaits.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm

They're still racing at Cheltenham?? :o
This user liked this post: KateR

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm
They're still racing at Cheltenham?? :o
The virus can't catch the horses....
These 3 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Bosscat LeadBelly

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Alex Salmond: I haven't followed this too closely but it certainly looks bad for him. Having multiple people accuse him seems like it was systemic and there is also the bigger issue of suggestions that working policy was changed and these things weren't reported so as not to damage the party which need to be dealt with. Some of it sounds potentially serious for a custodial sentence but we shall see.

Laurence Fox: Some of the reaction was over the top but I don't disagree with the premise. He clearly is a privileged, white male and I don't think he is in a position to judge what is and isn't racist which was the original issue. You see the same thing on here an audience that is heavy on middle aged, white blokes making judgements about things it is pretty unlikely they've experienced. You can see why that kind of thing would **** off people who are suffering from things like racism.

Refugees/greek border: A lot of this seems more complex than simple issues around refugees, tied up as it is in the various greek/turkish disputes. Regardless, a more universal approach to sorting out this issue needs to be taken. Unfortunately at the moment we have countries that are hoping if they stick their fingers in their ears and ignore any refugee problem it will go away.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Claret32yrs wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm
They're still racing at Cheltenham ?
" The virus can't catch the horses ... "
I disagree, the virus would almost certainly have caught my selections today in " Tybfc's " predictor competition ! :lol:

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 pm
I disagree, the virus would almost certainly have caught my selections today in " Tybfc's " predictor competition ! :lol:
Not asking them for the lottery numbers. Makes mental note.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 pm

B J is a liar and racist. Happy now Vino😁

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42 pm

but is he a lying racist or a racist liar?

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Good question
Dont know, just trying to cheer Vino up now footys gone t**its up

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6841 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:50 pm

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Bring back Brexit.....them were the days.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm
Bring back Brexit.....them were the days.
Surely in the circumstances an extension will be required in the trade talks. ;)