Football Focus tody.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Football Focus tody.

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 pm

On today's Football Focus, the Brighton chairman said that the situation was a logistical and legal minefield. I think we all knew that, but it was what he said about promotion and relegation that got my attention.

He suggested not relegating anyone from the PL but promoting two from the Championship. I wonder why he thought it was OK to do one, but not the other?

If we ended up with two more teams in the PL next season, that would of course translate into four more games. Can you imagine the whingeing from the likes of Man U, Man C, etc? They already complain they have too many domestic games as it is.

If we do end up playing some form of catch up next season, I can see it being at the expense of the FA and League Cups. The problem there is if they are cancelled next year, they may never restart.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Re: Football Focus tody.

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:48 pm

The FA Cup has been in decline ever since Ferguson though Man Utd were to big to enter it,I'm all in favour of scrapping the cups and having two more lesser teams from the Championship it only strengthens our hand at becoming a truly establish Premier League club

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:49 pm

It's no different to Brady's ********. He's saying it because Brighton are still in a relegation scrap.
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Aclaret MT03ALG Colburn_Claret

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:49 pm
It's no different to Brady's ********. He's saying it because Brighton are still in a relegation scrap.
Surely Brighton and West Ham who are above the drop would be arguing to take the table as it stands meaning they are safe. It's in their interest than no more games are played.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Surely Brighton and West Ham who are above the drop would be arguing to take the table as it stands meaning they are safe. It's in their interest than no more games are played.
Brady wants the season ending because if it didn't end, West Ham could go down. If she gets her way, West Ham won't have a fight on their hands. That's why she's saying it. With Brighton, I sense he's saying it because he's wanting to push the decision of cancelling, and therefore is coming up with a nice solution to justify it.
This user liked this post: Aclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:06 pm

The bottom three as it stands now won't accept being relegated if the season isn't finished.

The Championship teams outside the top two won't accept being denied their chance of promotion if the top two are allowed to go up.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 pm
On today's Football Focus, the Brighton chairman said that the situation was a logistical and legal minefield. I think we all knew that, but it was what he said about promotion and relegation that got my attention.

He suggested not relegating anyone from the PL but promoting two from the Championship. I wonder why he thought it was OK to do one, but not the other?
Whether you agree or not or whether it is or isn't the correct thing to do is open to opinion but surely its obvious to you why this is seen as the most pragmatic option and what the difference is.

The biggest issues that would arise from finishing the season now would be relegating teams and the financial impact it carries without them having chance to finish their games. (imagine if Burnley was in 18th at the moment and we just got relegated without another game)

The other big issue is that Leeds and West Brom are well clear at the top of the Championship and to just end their opportunity to get promotion and the financial reward that comes with it would be a pretty severe decision. (again imagine if Burnley were top of the league 7 pts clear of 3rd)

The financial difference between the Prem and the Championship makes a tough situation pretty much impossible but to allow 2 up and no relegation would mitigate both those issues as best as we possibly can

You might not agree but Im surprised you couldn't understand why doing one and not the other would be the option that caused the minimal impact if the season was stopped tomorrow

BigF
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by BigF » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm

West Ham might have further problems as the London Stadium, "their ground", is booked for Baseball and Athletics in coming months. (These might not occur of course), but West Ham might have to play their home games elsewhere.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:07 pm
Whether you agree or not or whether it is or isn't the correct thing to do is open to opinion but surely its obvious to you why this is seen as the most pragmatic option and what the difference is.

The biggest issues that would arise from finishing the season now would be relegating teams and the financial impact it carries without them having chance to finish their games. (imagine if Burnley was in 18th at the moment and we just got relegated without another game)

The other big issue is that Leeds and West Brom are well clear at the top of the Championship and to just end their opportunity to get promotion and the financial reward that comes with it would be a pretty severe decision. (again imagine if Burnley were top of the league 7 pts clear of 3rd)

The financial difference between the Prem and the Championship makes a tough situation pretty much impossible but to allow 2 up and no relegation would mitigate both those issues as best as we possibly can

You might not agree but Im surprised you couldn't understand why doing one and not the other would be the option that caused the minimal impact if the season was stopped tomorrow
I don't think pragmatism comes into it, I think fairness does. So to say one team shouldn't be relegated now but that others should be promoted is totally unfair. What about the play-off contenders? Should they just be dismissed as unfortunate? How far down the football pyramid would this be extended? Would teams from League one not be relegated, but teams from League two promoted?

I think we'll have to disagree on that but you're more than entitled to your view.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm

I think the season will be cancelled and we'll all start again in August. Feel sorry for the Leeds fans. ;)

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1749 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Some kind of play off would be the way to go for me. At least then it’s decided by football being played.

Failing that you just scrap the whole season. You certainly can’t just promote or relegate teams based on their place when the season stopped with 9/10 games to go.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:31 pm

it is absolutely all the relegation-threatened clubs trying to generally obfuscate the scenario to their own advantage.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:17 pm
I don't think pragmatism comes into it, I think fairness does. So to say one team shouldn't be relegated now but that others should be promoted is totally unfair. What about the play-off contenders? Should they just be dismissed as unfortunate? How far down the football pyramid would this be extended? Would teams from League one not be relegated, but teams from League two promoted?

I think we'll have to disagree on that but you're more than entitled to your view.
How far down it goes and play off contenders etc are further issues and no solution is anywhere near perfect.

As I said whether its right or wrong is a matter of opinion but you must be able to see how both not relegating teams and not preventing the promotion of teams from and too what financially is probably the biggest jump in English football are one and the same objective and therefore interlinked for the point being made on FF
This user liked this post: alboclaret

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:33 pm
How far down it goes and play off contenders etc are further issues and no solution is anywhere near perfect.

As I said whether its right or wrong is a matter of opinion but you must be able to see how both not relegating teams and not preventing the promotion of teams from and too what financially is probably the biggest jump in English football are one and the same objective and therefore interlinked for the point being made on FF
Sorry, I don't see it that way at all and FF didn't know the point was going to be brought up. That was purely the Brighton chairman's idea, not FF.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:37 pm

I think now would be a good time for the promotion and relegation outcomes between the top two divisions to be put to a vote on a secret committee.

Championship for us, next term.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm

The season will have to be finished even if it doesn't start until August. A short break then a new season starts towards the year end , you cannot just stop with the current positions it is manifestly unfair IMHO.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 pm

No surprise the likes of West Ham and Brighton ( especially Brighton who could crumble if relegated ) are Bigging up the “ scrap the season “ malarkey . Though if that was to happen no way it holy hell could/would they promote without relegating . Prem league will be desperate to complete and a mix of fixtures behind closed doors and cramming games in would be acceptable compromise I’d imagine

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:44 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:06 pm
The bottom three as it stands now won't accept being relegated if the season isn't finished.

The Championship teams outside the top two won't accept being denied their chance of promotion if the top two are allowed to go up.
Correct ..and why would they.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:49 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:31 pm
it is absolutely all the relegation-threatened clubs trying to generally obfuscate the scenario to their own advantage.
No..its West Ham. Who think they can buy their way out of it.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Fair enough then you dont understand why the Brighton chairman thought it would be an ok thing to do.

I thought it is pretty obvious why the Brighton chairman thought it was ok but if you didnt know and still cant see it then not much more I can do about it

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:57 pm
Fair enough then you dont understand why the Brighton chairman thought it would be an ok thing to do.

I thought it is pretty obvious why the Brighton chairman thought it was ok but if you didnt know and still cant see it then not much more I can do about it
So you and him are right and most other people are wrong. Fair enough.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm
So you and him are right and most other people are wrong. Fair enough.
I haven't said he is right and I haven't even expressed my opinion on what is right or wrong. I just think it is obvious why he thinks it is ok and expressed surprise that you didnt see why he thought it was ok.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:07 pm

The National leagues must be completed. Even it means a reduction in fixtures next season to complete by May. Sod the cups nobody cares anyway.

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 pm

the other thing is the transfer widow, wait while you try getting your head round that

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Boy what a call .
After thinking about this for 5 seconds all i can say is play offs in the Prem with every side involved .
Bottom 8 plays offs to see who is relegated , top 4 to see who wins the Prem and the other 8 for the Europa leagues spots .
Not perfect but everyone has a chance .

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:10 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:49 pm
No..its West Ham. Who think they can buy their way out of it.
So you didn't read the O/P about the Brighton Chairman?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Only two ways that would be fair to all clubs. either finish all the fixtures regardless of how long that takes, or end the season as it stands now.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Finish the season as normal and stop being drama queens about all this, if you get it you get it, who wants to stay in their house 24/7 ffs

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3149 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:47 pm

I am sorry for the transfer widow's loss.
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins boatshed bill

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:52 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:10 pm
So you didn't read the O/P about the Brighton Chairman?
Yes them as well... But out of the two I preferred to highlight west hams trio.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 pm

The Brighton chairman is just pointing out something obvious. Whatever happens from now, some club somewhere will be threatening litigation. He's right.
Brady is just a self centred ####,., but what did you expect from her. West ham have already cheated themselves out of relegation once and ended up paying damages to Sheffield United, so they have form - just not so much form on the pitch.
If they had no ground for some other reason they'd have had to borrow someone else's. The league is likely to sanction them playing at, say, Orient in the circumstances. Whether they have any friends that would let them play some home games at their place is another matter. Southend could do with some rental income. Maybe they could play their home games there.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:33 pm

I understand the point.
Not in agreement with it but I see it.
My view is that, take villa for example. May well go down in normal circumstances. How would the FFP work with them as if they were relegated we keep hearing that they could be in trouble. Is that just lucky if we dont relegate them. Fo they just get another shot next year at sorting it out.?
For me its cancel the euros. If necessary cancel all European competitions. Move next seasons start date back a few weeks.
Get the season finished by hook or by crook. Matches played whenever possible apart from final round of fixtures which should be played together. Even if the season runs into July. Play euros next year.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 pm
I understand the point.
My view is that, take villa for example. May well go down in normal circumstances. How would the FFP work with them as if they were relegated we keep hearing that they could be in trouble. Is that just lucky if we dont relegate them. Fo they just get another shot next year at sorting it out.?
For me its cancel the euros. If necessary cancel all European competitions. Move next seasons start date back a few weeks.
Get the season finished by hook or by crook. Matches played whenever possible apart from final round of fixtures which should be played together. Even if the season runs into July. Play euros next year.
That would be Ok, but if it dragged on past June (6th?) some clubs would no longer have full squads.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Maybe there could be special measure extension of contracts for this unprecedented situation where if the season goes longer so do contacts

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:33 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 pm
I understand the point.
I agree that if there is anyway we can get the season done thats gotta be top priority because if we dont it is gonna be a hell of a mess to sort out and could well end up with big court battles.

Its easy for us as Burnley fans to say just do this or that cos of the position we are in but imagine if we were Villa or West Brom things wouldnt be quite so simple

My view is that say we could get playing again within 10 weeks (who knows) then Id look to finish season in June / July, have a 6 week break, move the transfer window back then start the next season mid Sept cutting out domestic cups and international friendly breaks. Next season could even run into start of June

Loads of variables and still plenty of problems but somehow we have to try and finish this season fully

Edit: On the contracts issue maybe there could be a rule that unless both club and player agreed to end the contract they would be extended until the end of July

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Have watched this thread all day (or should that be dy ;))

Posters are usually quick to point out a mis spelt subject ... yet none of you have had a dig at Gordale for his error in the Subject line.

I commend you all ... :D :D :D

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Posters are usually quick to point out a mis spelt subject ... yet none of you have had a dig at Gordale for his error in the Subject line.

On the ball as ever Bossct :)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 pm
On the ball as ever Bossct :)
Of course :D

HB Claret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:33 am

I would imagine that Wet Spam might enjoy playing their remaining games at a different ground as a lot of their supporters dislike the lifeless stadium they now call home.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5058 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 am

If we were only 12 games into the season I could see a problem, but 29 games in. 9 games to go, they could be all played in a 3 week period, behind closed doors if the problem drags on. Although I dont like the prospect of playing behind closed doors, if scrapping the season altogether is the alternative I'd much rather see the season played out.
No need to go over Brady, a blind man down a pit at midnight could see through her. Even more reasons to hope West Ham go down.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:29 am

There will be no Euro 20/20 so the season will probably be played out in June with teams playing every 2 to 3 days.

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:16 am

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Should it be 'toady'?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3149 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 am

The subject line error was too obvious and not worth the the effort of pointing out.............. ;)
This user liked this post: tim_noone