Over seventies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Beryl66
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Over seventies

Post by Beryl66 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Dr on Sky just now saying he recommends trigger should be 60 not 70.
All very well saying trigger should be 60 but there are many 60+ still working who can't afford to stop and many of them are in caring roles which puts them at high risk too!

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi Leadbelly, out of interest do you have any so-called "Underlying health issues"?
I had heart bypass surgery 5/6 years ago but no problems since though I take precautionary medicines to control BP (which is OK nowadays). Heart itself is in good shape & my heart rate is under 50 resting (60 without the beta-blockers).

No diabetes etc & havent smoked for 35 years & am within the "ideal" body mass index measure, cholesterol etc checked frequently & all good. Get the occasional; cold but not had flu for c 40 years & get flu-jabs.

Anyway, just in case, I grabbed myself a couple of books of Times Killer Su Doku after walking into town- to add to the unwatched DVDs Iv'e already got. I like to go out just about every day for 2-4 miles, usually taking in an errand; it'll feel like prison if I have to stay in for a couple of months but I'll (largely) comply if requested.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:40 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm
I had heart bypass surgery 5/6 years ago but no problems since though I take precautionary medicines to control BP (which is OK nowadays). Heart itself is in good shape & my heart rate is under 50 resting (60 without the beta-blockers).

No diabetes etc & havent smoked for 35 years & am within the "ideal" body mass index measure, cholesterol etc checked frequently & all good. Get the occasional; cold but not had flu for c 40 years & get flu-jabs.

Anyway, just in case, I grabbed myself a couple of books of Times Killer Su Doku after walking into town- to add to the unwatched DVDs Iv'e already got. I like to go out just about every day for 2-4 miles, usually taking in an errand; it'll feel like prison if I have to stay in for a couple of months but I'll (largely) comply if requested.
No need to worry about never seeing the great outdoors.

Transport Minister said today that people would still be allowed to go out for a walk. It's about lack of close contact. The chance sof randomly catching the virus out walking are next to nil.

Of course, then people start bleating it's too confusing and it's mixed messages (not you I hasten to add). Fine. For those who can't understand, they probably should just shut themselves away.
This user liked this post: atlantalad

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6387 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm

The world has ground to a halt!

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:11 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 pm
My contact in the cabinet .
Thought as much. Why do you feel the need to make statements which you can't substantiate?

As they say, why let the facts get in the way of a good story!

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:16 pm

Targetman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:11 pm
Thought as much. Why do you feel the need to make statements which you can't substantiate?

As they say, why let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Lighten up Targetman. It was put on in jest .. Hence the light hearted comment comment about being electronically tagged ..It actually looks like it's going to happen though.(not the tagging) :D

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:28 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:16 pm
Lighten up Targetman. It was put on in jest .. Hence the light hearted comment comment about being electronically tagged ..It actually looks like it's going to happen though.(not the tagging) :D
Hey con, why do we need to worry about all this crap that we can do absolutely nothing about when there are so many others worrying and panicking?
Que sera, sera and some will retain a sense of humour no matter what.
The only thing bothering me is that, should they bring the restrictions in for 70 year old folk, I won't be able to carry out my charity work for those who are a lot younger than I am and genuiney need the help!

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:28 pm
Hey con, why do we need to worry about all this crap that we can do absolutely nothing about when there are so many others worrying and panicking?
Que sera, sera and some will retain a sense of humour no matter what.
The only thing bothering me is that, should they bring the restrictions in for 70 year old folk, I won't be able to carry out my charity work for those who are a lot younger than I am and genuiney need the help!
I'm 69 in a few days Ashy. :D ..Looks like my 6 monthly jaunt in my Campervan will be cancelled by the powers that be though. I will still find plenty of things to do Instead of worrying about it Ashy.. Life's too short to worry . :D

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Over 70s? I hope this board has enough bandwidth to cope...

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:54 am

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm
The world has ground to a halt!
Due to my current vision issues I skim read that as " The world has ground to a malt" which given your taste in beverages, I thought was very witty.

Similarly I initially thought Rowls was "Dog fishing from a Fiat"

Start the cat.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL Bosscat

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6387 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:00 am

I'll drink to that, Levrai!

Vroom, Miaou!
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm
I'm 69 in a few days Ashy. :D ..Looks like my 6 monthly jaunt in my Campervan will be cancelled by the powers that be though. I will still find plenty of things to do Instead of worrying about it Ashy.. Life's too short to worry . :D
Take up drinking and smoking outside 't Big Window. Healthy outdoor environment so no restrictions.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Beryl66 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm
All very well saying trigger should be 60 but there are many 60+ still working who can't afford to stop and many of them are in caring roles which puts them at high risk too!
Just a thought but due to reasons I won't bore anyone with I have had recent tests for my heart AND lungs and both are absolutley fine (the slight problems I had are from an injury). I work out 3 times a week with weights and have done for years. I walk for miles. I still work (although from home soon I think). I am probably fitter than many if not most people on here. I am 65. If anyone is seriously suggesting I should be sitting at home for my own good they can go and f*ck themselves. I'm looking at you DA. :D :D :D
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:33 pm
Just a thought but due to reasons I won't bore anyone with I have had recent tests for my heart AND lungs and both are absolutley fine (the slight problems I had are from an injury). I work out 3 times a week with weights and have done for years. I walk for miles. I still work (although from home soon I think). I am probably fitter than many if not most people on here. I am 65. If anyone is seriously suggesting I should be sitting at home for my own good they can go and f*ck themselves. I'm looking at you DA. :D :D :D
Great post. I'm with you on that. I am 66, walk miles every day, workout, ride a motorcycle. No way am I stopping in.

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by gsyclaret » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Great post. I'm with you on that. I am 66, walk miles every day, workout, ride a motorcycle. No way am I stopping in.
I am 67 and work mornings driving a truck for a building company, still physically fit due to lumping bags of sand and cement round. Love it.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:10 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:33 pm
I'd make an exception and let you out and about from time to time just to get you off here and give us all a bit of respite :D :D :D

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
I don't think it will be 60 to be honest, that is just some plonkers on here having a wind up. A lot of doctors we will be in need of are probably in the 60/65 range. Anyone suggesting they are in need of locking away? Thought not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:10 pm
I'd make an exception and let you out and about from time to time just to get you off here and give us all a bit of respite :D :D :D
Ha ha. Touche. I think people will be able to go out anyway as long as they don't come into close contact with people and don't touch anything. Whatever else this virus can do I don't think it can fly, at least not more than sneezing distance. Obviously the advice is the same for all - if you have any symptoms stay at home. That is the sensible and unselfish thing to do. These are dark days at the moment but we will mostly all come through this and will look back on it as just one of those things in time. How long all this will last is anyone's guess but one thing is for sure, it can't go on forever because the global economy wouldn't stand more than a few months of this. I suspect the authorities here are maybe slightly overstating things for all the best reasons because if we handle this right we can get back to some sort of normality sooner rather than later. If the Chinese are being honest the stats there seem to be encouraging. About .0006% of the population contracted it and they now say they have it more or less under control, with their population (1.36 billion) that hardly even registers.

Anyway what do we know - what will be will be - I certainly hope we will still all be annoying the hell out of each other when it's all over. All the very best to everyone.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm
Ha ha. Touche. I think people will be able to go out anyway as long as they don't come into close contact with people and don't touch anything. Whatever else this virus can do I don't think it can fly, at least not more than sneezing distance. Obviously the advice is the same for all - if you have any symptoms stay at home. That is the sensible and unselfish thing to do. These are dark days at the moment but we will mostly all come through this and will look back on it as just one of those things in time. How long all this will last is anyone's guess but one thing is for sure, it can't go on forever because the global economy wouldn't stand more than a few months of this. I suspect the authorities here are maybe slightly overstating things for all the best reasons because if we handle this right we can get back to some sort of normality sooner rather than later. If the Chinese are being honest the stats there seem to be encouraging. About .0006% of the population contracted it and they now say they have it more or less under control, with their population (1.36 billion) that hardly even registers.

Anyway what do we know - what will be will be - I certainly hope we will still all be annoying the hell out of each other when it's all over. All the very best to everyone.
Be sensible, be safe, listen to advice and don't panic and for the time being with that approach most people should be able to manage their own limits and boundary's around how they continue with their own day to day lives.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Easy answer to this. if you go out and get asked your age just tell them you're 69.