Planning anything constructive with your extra time?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Re: Planning anything constructive with your extra time?

Post by KateR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm

a very good point Frank and one to remember :)

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:09 pm

KateR wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm
Paul, I worked in the energy industry my whole working life and have thoroughly enjoyed in, varied and interesting, hubby works in the same line of work but does different things. We got to live in numerous countries and always enjoyed the cultural aspect of it as well as the work plus the travel. I started working in the BD area around 15 years ago and developing strategies and methods to enhance work, I have worked for oil companies around 40% of the time and contractors around 60%. The last five years has been all around strategy and future planning as a retiree, the last two years have been around trends and developing strategical plans for all the regions in the world where the companies work, part of that over the last year has been focused on 2 aspects, energy transition so you could call it alternative, the why and where, what is working well and what is, limitations to all of them. Secondly "big data", digitalization, AI/AR, robotics. Actually learning far more than I ever wanted to lol plus have more questions than answers on that side right now.

I work on what I want to work on and for whom I want to work for so can manage my hours and work at my pace, they pay me a lot more than when I used to work for these companies and wish I had done it earlier
Hi Kate, maybe we've met during our careers? I joined Shell Stanlow 1980 and the 40 years of my career have all been with the energy/commodities sector. From late 80s onwards, for the most part, I've been based in London - with international/global responsibilities - plus lived in The Hague (Den Haag) and New York. My focus has been risk management, all around the wholesale/financial trading sectors. Last few years have been with Platts, oil price reporting. Sustainability and energy transition is the big thing these days.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:59 pm

:) Maybe.
I started my working life at Shell Carrington and they put me through college. I in a regional role for a major Contractor won large scopes of work from Shell all of which meant moving to numerous countries to live with family and also visiting many many others on business trips. Been in London often working plus visiting Shell Den Haag numerous times, all requiring Risk Management, which I was ultimately responsible for reporting to the Company Corporate Risk Group when identified as a high risk project. Along with energy transition I am now also working with a VP on the company sustainability vision for the future so obviously we have been doing very similar lines of work