BFC a community club my ar$e

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

BFC a community club my ar$e

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Tight fisted beyond belief.
They're doing FA to support the non playing staff who can't work because of the corona virus. They've let them go and leaving them to fend for themselves.
I thought the club was at the heart of the community. Absolutely disgusting.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Re: BFC a community club my ar$e

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:06 pm

You know this for fact how please ?

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:08 pm

I think this was a good opportunity for companies to really show that caring side of the business, unfortunately so many are doing the same thing.

I understand there will come a time when pay cuts and redundancies will need to happen but those doing it already, that aren’t short of money is really disappointing to see.

This isn’t a dig at Burnley by the way as I haven’t a clue what they’re doing. Just businesses in general

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:06 pm
You know this for fact how please ?
Facebook by people left to fend for themselves by the club.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:14 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Facebook by people left to fend for themselves by the club.
That well known bearer of all things factual :D

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Probably a situation where more information would be handy.
These 5 users liked this post: Funkydrummer FactualFrank tiger76 KateR k90bfc

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Cheers, well that is absolutely disgraceful. They should be ashamed of themselves, but doubt they will be.

Whilst it's not a charity, they are not short of a bob or two and could help them out, even if it has to be
repaid when things get sorted.

BIG QUESTION HERE :- Will the players be getting paid for doing nowt ?

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Like all the Covid 19 scare stories. True until shown to be false. (Hopefully.)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm

The club like to peddle this community club mantra, but in reality it's a complete myth, particularly in recent years. Despite having more money than we've ever had, they seem to be getting greedier and greedier. I'd hazard a guess that all catering staff and people doing similar will be on minimum wage.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm

I presume that those people who have contracts will get appropriate support when the club ceases 'public facing activities' at close of business tonight.

Others, such as those employed as 'gig economy' workers (eg programme sellers, match day staff and stewards) will not get paid when they don't work. Difficult to see how the club could legally pay them as they aren't official employees and so the laws preventing back-handers come into play I would think, as does their fiduciary duty to shareholders.

I thought the government had a scheme for paying gig economy workers affected by the shutdowns?

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 pm

Some woman called Yvette Rushton posted on the official BFC status about supporter facing departments, claiming to be a cleaner there and not getting paid by the club during the corona outbreak.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Big business that relies on profits to survive screws over the staff shocker.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:14 pm
That well known bearer of all things factual :D
That's Frank's job!! :lol:

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Don’t know what you expect employers to do. I work 25 hours a week with adults with learning disabilities. All employees have received an email stating that there can be no promises about continued employment after April 30th. That is where we all are at the moment. Get over it. People are dying. There are going to be lots of people suffering all kinds of hardship over this. Get on with it.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 pm

IF BFC are laying off staff that is a business decision, rightly or wrongly.
This has nothing to do with the outstanding work BFC in the Community do. The OPs title is out of order.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Wish people wouldn't be so judgmental. We know this is catastrophic to the economy and Burnley FC is a high turnover business, not a rich one. It would be great if the all businesses could protect all types of employees, but first and foremost more information and guarantees is needed from the government. People also need to remember that cashflow could be a huge problem for Burnley. It's not like clubs get ~£120m of TV money at the start of the season, and those players worth tens of millions of pounds still need to be paid huge salaries.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm
Wish people wouldn't be so judgmental. We know this is catastrophic to the economy and Burnley FC is a high turnover business, not a rich one. It would be great if the all businesses could protect all types of employees, but first and foremost more information and guarantees is needed from the government. People also need to remember that cashflow could be a huge problem for Burnley. It's not like clubs get ~£120m of TV money at the start of the season, and those players worth tens of millions of pounds still need to be paid huge salaries.
"and those players worth tens of millions of pounds still need to be paid huge salaries."

Not just us, but it's a shame that many players will be picking up £50,000+ salaries each week, despite many others in the country struggling on a fraction of that.

It's a pity the FA haven't put a little emotional pressure on PL players at least to ask if they'd be willing to take a 10% pay cut at least, with the 10% going into a charity to support the most needy who are currently affected.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky MT03ALG

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm

I would imagine that the running of the match day activities is a completely different business to the playing side and both have to stand alone in their own right. As there is no match day activity or revenue at the moment then decisions have to be made about staffing levels. This decision will be made on cashflow projections-or the lack of it. Owners of football clubs are in the main wealthy business men-they only become so by being ruthlessly efficient at what they do.
PS. Good job we didnt spend all the money are Carlos Kickaball like many on here have been demanding.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm
"and those players worth tens of millions of pounds still need to be paid huge salaries."

Not just us, but it's a shame that many players will be picking up £50,000+ salaries each week, despite many others in the country struggling on a fraction of that.

It's a pity the FA haven't put a little emotional pressure on PL players at least to ask if they'd be willing to take a 10% pay cut at least, with the 10% going into a charity to support the most needy who are currently affected.
As I just posted on a different thread...

The players have made contributions and at many clubs. Players get paid a fortune, but they have lifestyles and bills based on that income. They also face an uncertain future. There's no violin out for them, but it's wrong to think that they are the solution to problems like this.

There's a lot of rich people in Britain and many of those have a lot more maturity when it comes to managing finances than footballers, yet it's always footballers who are the easy target.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Don’t know what you expect employers to do. I work 25 hours a week with adults with learning disabilities. All employees have received an email stating that there can be no promises about continued employment after April 30th. That is where we all are at the moment. Get over it. People are dying. There are going to be lots of people suffering all kinds of hardship over this. Get on with it.
Not getting payed... get over it...

If only it was that easy

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

thought I just read in the last hour that BFC and players were contributing funds to help with the virus, different ways to help but continuing to pay staff for long periods is unsustainable but there should be something planned, can't comment on what it is as I have no idea regarding what there intent is.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Don’t know what you expect employers to do. I work 25 hours a week with adults with learning disabilities. All employees have received an email stating that there can be no promises about continued employment after April 30th.
Darnhill, how will the adults with learning disabilities cope if their support workers are laid off or are you talking about a different role that doesn't involve 24/7 personal care?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Spijed wrote:

Sion asked their players to take a pay cut during this pandemic.
They sacked the 9 players who refused it's been announced.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:13 pm

from the Independent - What are Premier League clubs doing to help casual and matchday staff during the coronavirus pandemic?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 08711.html

EDIT - the relevant section
"Burnley
Discussions are ongoing with the club committed to doing right by their staff."
Last edited by Chester Perry on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Spijed wrote:

Which charity? Who would administer this 10% pay cut?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 pm

The football club is not BFC in the Community.

BFC in the Community

We are Burnley FC in the Community (BFCitC); the award-winning, official charity of Burnley Football Club.

We believe in the immense power of our football club to transform people’s lives for the better. We work hard every day to deliver our mission across the communities of Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale, the Ribble Valley and West Yorkshire. Together we inspire, support and deliver positive change for all.

Our work is channelled into five key areas: Sport, Education, Health, Social Inclusion and Community Facilities. Our highly-skilled, dynamic and passionate team now deliver over 50 community projects that touch the lives of a huge spectrum of people in and around Burnley. From children and young people right through to senior citizens.

Though we are embedded within the ethos of Burnley FC, we are financially independent from the football club. We rely on fundraising activities, donations, sponsorships and grants to do the work we do and every penny we raise goes to developing new opportunities for those who need it most.

We believe Burnley is a special place – a home to extraordinary people. This website will showcase to you the scope of our work but it’s also a place you can actively get involved in the work of our charity.

Day-by-day, the outreach of our work is growing and truly exciting things are happening at Burnley FC in the Community. Come and be part of our story!

Mission and Objectives
Burnley FC in the Community is a self-financing registered charity (No: 1155856) with a mission to support communities, inspire communities and deliver change in communities. This is achieved through the delivery of 10 community objectives:

Engage with our communities to raise aspirations.
Support our community to live healthy lives.
Create a level playing field for all to engage in sport and physical activity.
Ensure we are a needs-led charity and focus on addressing the ‘root cause’ of social issues.
Support and inspire children and young people to reach their full potential.
Harness the unique standing of Burnley FC to deliver lasting change in the local community and overseas.
Empower our employees, partners and participants to champion Equality and Inclusion.
To ensure we are a partnership-based organisation which prides itself on forming long-term mutually beneficial partnerships with ‘like-minded’ organisations.
To embed ourselves in communities for the long-term by working with partners to develop and operate outstanding community facilities.
To ensure we always deliver high quality impactful projects through a strong foundation of staff, CPD, organisational policies and governance procedures.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi Billy Balfour. I drive the adults to their day centres in the morning and drive them home again at night. From tonight’s bulletin I may or may not be able to continue in that role, although I imagine the centre will close very soon. I anticipate the centre workers will be retained, as they can be used as drivers should the numbers fall, either before closure or after reopening. I’m sure the majority of the general public will muck in and perhaps recreate some of that wartime community spirit to look after those less fortunate than themselves. But let’s not be offended on other people’s behalf when we know have to face up to a difficult future for the majority of us who will hopefully live through this pandemic. Not a support worker by title but we all support as a team in our different roles. I do understand that individuals will in some cases struggle badly financially, but I wish everyone good health over the months to come. Some of us won’t live through it.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:03 am

The club have made a statement about paying staff

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am

Proper club
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 am

Today's article covers matchday and non-matchday casual staff, but nothing about non-casual staff?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am

Sean Dyche's Watch wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 am
Today's article covers matchday and non-matchday casual staff, but nothing about non-casual staff?
Do you mean contracted staff?

Superb from the club by the way.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 am

One assumes the original poster on this thread will be along soon with a full apology.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

Well done Burnley FC

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 am
One assumes the original poster on this thread will be along soon with a full apology.
I mean, it took a while so i understand the OP's sentiments, however yeah maybe a locked thread job

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 am

With limited things to moan about Burnley FC wise the OP had offered a glimmer of hope but now that has been cruelly snatched away. Damn you for doing the right thing!
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am
I mean, it took a while so i understand the OP's sentiments, however yeah maybe a locked thread job

Let the clown apologise for his tantrum first though before he has his thread locked

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

In fairness to the OP, there was a few people on social media complaining about the club not paying staff who I presume worked there.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am
In fairness to the OP, there was a few people on social media complaining about the club not paying staff who I presume worked there.
Or some who don't work there but have heard a rumour, repeated it which is the repeated by someone else which then becomes the truth

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am
The problems of believing social media - and never presume anything, such as them working there

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 am

That's good news for all concerned. Interesting to read that the Leeds players have taken a wage deferral. It's good when everyone can come together and think of others.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Many people (not me) have moaned about the clubs loyalty towards fans previously but in the time of need they have delivered, excellent news.

True colours always show in times of stress

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Can anyone really imagine Sean Dyche being a part of "screwing over the little guy"?
He'd never stand for it.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Would Dyche be involved in this decision ?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 pm

Club 1 Moaners 0