REPORT: The daylight is shining through the tunnel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

REPORT: The daylight is shining through the tunnel

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm

It should have been Burnley v Watford today - so I'm looking back at a previous game against them almost four years ago.

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/the-daylig ... the-tunnel

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Re: REPORT: The daylight is shining through the tunnel

Post by bodge » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Great day out that was.

Wetherspoons on the high street was bouncing with celebrating Clarets after the game, it was a pivotal result and like you say everyone knew where we were going.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:00 pm

bodge wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Great day out that was.

Wetherspoons on the high street was bouncing with celebrating Clarets after the game, it was a pivotal result and like you say everyone knew where we were going.
I was in there pre-match but had to get back on the coach after the game. That late equaliser and the news from the other two - special day.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5101 times
Has Liked: 5168 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Great report, that, Tony. Thanks.

It was Grand National Day and I won the National before starters orders - I placed a few small bets with a tenner but got back change for a twenty!

Then I went and won again with an each way on Balthazar King who came in second.

I wasn't actually at the match. I was on an all-day pubbing session in Knaresborough with my brother and a few mates. My Dad text me updates from the match and to think that we went away with such a threadbare team and came away with a point shows you how good the team spirit was that year.

Just goes to show how far we've come under Dyche. Never take it for granted.

UTC

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Thanks Tony , I really am loving these posts from memory lane.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 am

Tony,I don't recall reading that report previously but I do remember Foinavon winning the National. I was buying the Saturday Sports paper in the Haymarket in Newcastle and jokingly asked a fellow purchaser if he had backed the winner? Yes he replied 10 bob each way and went on to say he always backed an outsider. This was pre-decimalisation and I was still a student in 1966 or 67 when that race was run. His £50 plus £33% or £25% was a lot of money in the mid-60's for as a student I lived off less than £10/week with no tuition fees and a good maintenance grant.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am

Walking back to the car after this game and got talking to a couple of Watford fans. Not only have you taken our manager you have probably ended our hopes of the play offs was the comment.

Well you sacked Dyche so we didn't take your manager and I'm not interested in the play offs as after today I know we're going straight up.

I also got reported by Herts Junior for my language. He said the S word (I knew the deflected shot from Deeney was in before it flew past Tom) the C word (I had to clarify I said crap) and the F word (in the car on the ring road trying to get into the correct lane and another driver being an arsehole). Fortunately he didn't hear my tirade at the rotund ballboy who spent most of the game time wasting in fetching the ball whilst Watford were in front. Once Arfield equalised and Watford had a corner he cleared the hoardings like Colin Jackson and reached the ball in a time that Usain Bolt would have been proud of....

Looking back on my Facebook time line after this game I said 3 more wins will do it. Derby would need to win at least 6 and we lose our other 6, which is not going to happen. Reading away last game is going to be a promotion party.