The most `celebrated` Burnley goals ever?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Re: The most `celebrated` Burnley goals ever?

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 am

Longsidebovril wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am
Was anyone here actually behind that Paterson strike? Must have been a thing of beauty to see that curling towards you
I was front row just to the left of the goalposts as we look at it. Thing of beauty as you say, just watching it sweetly fly in. The 2nd was a bit of blur and all out of the blue, just remember jumping up in joy knowing we'd be off to Wembley and celebrating like mad with my parents.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:06 am

Brian O’Neils’ 89th minute winner v ManU got the place bouncing. First time I ever saw a pyramid of players as all other outfield players leapt on him.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:12 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 am
Ashley Hoskin In Sherpa Van at Preston, we were rammed in but when that went it the celebrations were something else.
Yeah, PNE's wooden terracing nearly collapsed with the celebrations. People were going wild.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:24 am

Longsidebovril wrote:
Was anyone here actually behind that Paterson strike? Must have been a thing of beauty to see that curling towards you
I was four rows back right on the dividing fence. I followed it's trajectory but didn't see it hit the net as I disappeared in a throng of ectstatic Clarets. As you say LB, a thing of beauty.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 am

Rowls wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm
19th April, 2016
Burnley vs Middlesbrough

They really thought they were "better" than us and to be fair, they played better on the night. But they couldn't beat us, even when they threw it all at us and we weren't quite at our best.

The league table told the true story.

23, 23 undefeated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itxzQF3acSI

For me the 30 or so minutes after the Middlesborough goal were Joey Barton's finest in a Burnley shirt. It was like he carried the rest of the team on his back. An absolutely awesome individual performance.
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous Claret Till I Die wilks_bfc

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am

Worthington Cup, November 2002.

I remember the atmosphere on this game. When Steve Davis scored, it was the loudest I'd heard the Turf for a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2390943.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXnT8D_t_tI

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:06 am
Brian O’Neils’ 89th minute winner v ManU got the place bouncing. First time I ever saw a pyramid of players as all other outfield players leapt on him.
Remember that one, TT. Stood on the Longside with a Man Utd. school friend. Made even sweeter because the previous Saturday we'd been hammered 7-0 at White Hart Lane. Down at the same end and similar in some ways to Joey Gudjonsson's incredible goal v Preston.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 pm

the_magic_rat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 am
For me the 30 or so minutes after the Middlesborough goal were Joey Barton's finest in a Burnley shirt. It was like he carried the rest of the team on his back. An absolutely awesome individual performance.
Have to agree re: Joey Barton that night. Remember after their goal he got the ball back to the centre spot shouting and urging his team mates to get their heads up. Then he simply provided a masterclass of midfield grit and determination; the players responded, the fans responded and we got our late reward. A brilliant night.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Barton was touch and go to play in that game as well.
Went off at half time a few days before with a hamstring injury.

Amazing scenes when that went in. The players celebrating as a squad as well gets the hairs standing up.

I wonder how Dyche celebrated that one. He’s said he tries not to show too much emotion when we score although he certainly feels it inside. I wonder if he let himself go with that one.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 am
I can't believe there's no footage of that game when they knew it was a title decider. The same goes for the Preston game in 1973, when Burnley needed a point for the second division title and Preston needed one to avoid relegation.
I was there but only remember Waldrons stunning equaliser and Ciollins wasting time in the corner late on...oh and the sea of fans on the pitch at the end! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsEe_Aj0pKo

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Colin Waldrons’ equaliser at Knobenders. Title winner? Or did it just guarantee promotion?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 pm

The late winner with 10 men in the FA cup replay at John Bond's Shrewsbury was a good one

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 am
Ian Brittons - The Orient game

Closely followed by Neil Grewcocks same game.
To be honest and realistic how can 2 goals ever come close to these considering what would have happened had they not been scored? The noise was deafening and the crowd as they say went nuts. I can't even begin to say if I have ever come close to celebrating as I did with these two. Don't even know why any of the others are in the running. I know some people on here, I guess among the younger ones, get sick of hearing ablout the 'Orient Game' but how can anyone who was there say that these goals are not the most celbrated in the history of our club? More so than any goal we have scored to actually win anything? Yes goals have meant that we won trophies or got promotions and they are important but the situation at the time was that had we gone out of the league we quite probably wouldn't even be here now discussing it. It has long been acknowledged that we probably couldn't have sustained non-league football and would now be just a club who people 'remembered' fondly.

Tony, you would know this but didn't the club actually make a statement saying something to the effect that they would have probably folded had we gone down that day?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:29 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Colin Waldrons’ equaliser at Knobenders. Title winner? Or did it just guarantee promotion?
That was a great day out but the football was shocking. An agreed draw if ever there was one. We both needed a point for different reasons. I seem to recall there was no urgency of any kind from either side for about the last half hour. Ha ha - all good fun though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:18 pm
title winner...we’d already guaranteed promotion against Sunderland.
A draw would mean Preston avoid relegation + Burnley win the title
...a draw it was! 😀
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 pm
To be honest and realistic how can 2 goals ever come close to these considering what would have happened had they not been scored? The noise was deafening and the crowd as they say went nuts. I can't even begin to say if I have ever come close to celebrating as I did with these two. Don't even know why any of the others are in the running. I know some people on here, I guess among the younger ones, get sick of hearing ablout the 'Orient Game' but how can anyone who was there say that these goals are not the most celbrated in the history of our club? More so than any goal we have scored to actually win anything? Yes goals have meant that we won trophies or got promotions and they are important but the situation at the time was that had we gone out of the league we quite probably wouldn't even be here now discussing it. It has long been acknowledged that we probably couldn't have sustained non-league football and would now be just a club who people 'remembered' fondly.

Tony, you would know this but didn't the club actually make a statement saying something to the effect that they would have probably folded had we gone down that day?
Not sure if you spotted this , apologies if you already have.

Around that time, I was a collector for the bit of a lottery that the club was running. "Clarets Revival" You paid a quid and could win a grand. I used to hand over my collectings at the club office every friday after work. The woman I handed over to, Jim Thompson's wife, still is, nice woman. She said all the staff had been given their months statutory notice , should we not beat the the drop.From her, to the tea lady, Jimmy Holland players the lot.

I also believe that the ground was, semi, ear marked by morrisons as a site for one of their supermarkets. As we stayed up, they chose nelson instead.

I know a lots been said about the Orient Game , but I still believe it's one, of, if not, the most important games in the clubs great history.

What's more terrifying when I think about it. Even if we won , mathematically, we were not guaranteed to stay up.

The future of our grand old club was effectively relying on snookers! ...

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 pm

And that is the point that made the fixture so unique. A win guaranteed nothing. Concentrating on the game was a feat in itself, the last half hour after they pulled a goal back was nothing less than excruciating. But having to rely on information from not one but two other games was about as cruel as it could get. I,too, would place the goals from Neil Grewcock and Ian Britton that afternoon as the two most important goals in our history.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Kean v Brighton away was a mad one.

Also wasn't at Reading, but the Red Lion in withington was full of Manc based clarets and it was like an explosion of emotion

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm

JRod putting Burnley 3 - 0 up in the League Cup Semi Final has to be up there too

https://youtu.be/JePTzbZYa_U

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm

I always thought the noise we made for the first goal when we beat qpr at home under dyche's first promotion was special.
That was our first real test that season after a very good start. Was the game people were expecting us to crumble and bow down to expectations.
It was like a boxing match, we kept them at bay with jabs and then delivered two knock out blows.
The celebrations were wild for the first goal, bullied the ball off them in midfield and then quickly broke, vokes and ings doing a 1-2 with each other before ings put the ball past their keeper
This user liked this post: ClaretLoup

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Not sure if you spotted this , apologies if you already have.

Around that time, I was a collector for the bit of a lottery that the club was running. "Clarets Revival" You paid a quid and could win a grand. I used to hand over my collectings at the club office every friday after work. The woman I handed over to, Jim Thompson's wife, still is, nice woman. She said all the staff had been given their months statutory notice , should we not beat the the drop.From her, to the tea lady, Jimmy Holland players the lot.

I also believe that the ground was, semi, ear marked by morrisons as a site for one of their supermarkets. As we stayed up, they chose nelson instead.

I know a lots been said about the Orient Game , but I still believe it's one, of, if not, the most important games in the clubs great history.

What's more terrifying when I think about it. Even if we won , mathematically, we were not guaranteed to stay up.

The future of our grand old club was effectively relying on snookers! ...
Thanks for that mate, no I hadn't seen before. Hope we never see the like of that game again.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:51 pm

The first goal vs QPR that Padiham mentions contains a ball from Big Sam to Ings that takes out FIVE QPR defenders. It combines maths and science whilst at the same time is a work of art.

Enjoy .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA7BFzj8-xw

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:49 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm
Thanks for that mate, no I hadn't seen before. Hope we never see the like of that game again.
Too true!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Ashley Barnes 1st goal v Wigan 2014....

https://youtu.be/mFzAUsCwtc4

What a celebration....

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Glen Little against Bristol Rovers in 2000. Payton sent off, Clarets with a backs-to-the-wall performance. We all thought we were holding out for a 0-0 which would have been a decent result. And then Glen single-handedly wins the game by dancing around the entire back four. Scenes.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 pm

The Sherpa van game at Preston don’t forget the um bar bar utc
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Longsidebovril wrote:
Directly behind. Wide, wide, post, IN!! Was incredible. I enjoyed that day more than Wembley

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Don’t think you’d ever beat the orient goals but the Sherpa Shed match at Deepdale was pandemonium at a proper footy ground......

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Can't argue with any that have been mentioned already in all fairness. Westwood's late winner v Leicester at home this season is a decent shout from recent games. A game we could easily have lost but we dug in, showed real determination and the way the ball rebounded to him and he smashed it in made it an exciting goal.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm
JRod putting Burnley 3 - 0 up in the League Cup Semi Final has to be up there too

https://youtu.be/JePTzbZYa_U
My shins from the seats in front have never fully recovered from this moment!

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Sausage wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm
Glen Little against Bristol Rovers in 2000. Payton sent off, Clarets with a backs-to-the-wall performance. We all thought we were holding out for a 0-0 which would have been a decent result. And then Glen single-handedly wins the game by dancing around the entire back four. Scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUv-uOiHOk

cricketfield73
Been Liked: 424 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by cricketfield73 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 am
I can't believe there's no footage of that game when they knew it was a title decider. The same goes for the Preston game in 1973, when Burnley needed a point for the second division title and Preston needed one to avoid relegation.
Not exactly HD, but some lovely cine footage here of PNE '73 and great recollections of the day from Dobbo.

https://youtu.be/c-sRWyOB_TM

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Longsidelenny wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 pm
The Sherpa van game at Preston don’t forget the um bar bar utc

I don't think that I've seen flailing limb carnage as much before or since.

NIDGE 65
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by NIDGE 65 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm with you wellernut, in my 47 year's of going on't turf, I still say the atmosphere on that Spurs semi final was the best 👍