Negative Corona news

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2972 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Negative Corona news

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Apart from the obvious, this country seems to slipping into new depths of depravity.

NHS staff need to be aware at all times as there have been
reports of NHS staff being held at knife point for their badges and/or uniforms.

WTF is going on out there ? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Negative Corona news

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 pm

There's no need for this thread - the Covid-19 thread is annoying and negative enough.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Damo

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 pm

Don't reply to it then.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Could you point us towards these reports?

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 am

Rowls wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm
Could you point us towards these reports?
I googled it..marvellous invention.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=nhs+staff ... lang=en-GB

I am more than a little concerned as my missus is nhs staff.
things like this happening did cross my mind when it was announced that they would be allowed to do early shopping.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Dazzler wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 am

things like this happening did cross my mind when it was announced that they would be allowed to do early shopping.
Thanks Dazzler

You've proved my point - there isn't any evidence that this has happened at all.

Your search link gave me four news outlets reporting the "story"

Two of these are celerbrity gossip sites. One is something called "entertainmentdaily", one of them is "OK!" magazine.

It appears that "OK!" magazine may be the source of these unfounded rumours as its article reveals:

"The NHS worker, who wished to remain anonymous, opened up to OK! Online after sharing a heartbreaking Instagram post..."

"In the message, the unnamed nurse is warned to "be careful coming in and leaving work," after various staff members at the same hospital were mugged for their NHS ID badges."

So what we have here is an anonymous person getting in touch with OK! celebrity gossip magazine. We have no way of verifying the authenticity of this.

The OK! article also shares a screenshot of a Whatsapp message which states that "...4 members of staff have been mugged in the past couple of days, in daylight as well, because fewer people are around the muggers are just going for it!"

If we take this at face value, even the source is anonymous, we don't know how big the hospital is so we don't know if it's extremely unusual for 4 people to get mugged.
It is important to note that the screenshot from the Whatsapp group doesn't mention anything about people being mugged because they were identifiably NHS staff. It just says they were mugged. No mention of ID card, lanyards or anything.

The story from "entertainmentdaily" is exactly the same - there is no source for the story, there is no primary source for the accusation of people being mugged "for their ID card" (none whatsoever). It's simply an article listing tweets by people passing on the same, unfounded, rumour.

The other two outlets who carry the story are using the exact same story - it is word for word. They are the "Express" (a down-market, ridiculous UK tabloid not much better than a celebrity magazine) and something I've never heard of called "news24x7world.com"

However, their article does contain a useful piece of information. It quotes a tweet from the official Metropolitan Police who tweeted:

“We are aware of claims of NHS staff being deliberately targeted by criminals in London.
The MPS is not aware of any recent reports of this nature."

I've highlighted the important words here for you.

So what's happened here?

We've got unverified, unverifiable reports from anonymous sources. We've got headlines which suggest NHS staff are being mugged for their ID cards etc but we've got stories which don't actually say that.

And we've got an official response from the Metropolitan Police saying they have are not aware of any such crimes having ever taken place.

Let's be frank and keep this simple - I think this story is utter bull sh:t.

I think people should think twice before passing on rubbish like this.

All it is doing is unnecessarily scaring people who are going round doing a very important and highly valuable job for society.

Let's all try and do something productive during our confinement, eh?

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Rowls, any luck with the dog fishing?

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Dazzler wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 am

I think you’ll find you Binged it rather thank Googled it, but there you go.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Rowls is bang on the money with this one. The worst thing is that these companies make money out of writing this ****.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm

The health trust, where the supposed victim works, would have issued a press release. Also, the 'victim' would have been asked why s/he required a new staff card and the police would have been informed by the Trust as a matter of course. It doesn't take too many braincells to pick holes in this massive pile of old bull. Like I said, companies make money spreading this stuff, and at a time like this - it's deplorable.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Scumbags are at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... say-police
In a civilised society, that would get you ten years in a small cell with just your thoughts and the always-ready bottle of sleeping tablets for company.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm
In a civilised society, that would get you ten years in a small cell with just your thoughts and the always-ready bottle of sleeping tablets for company.
If only that was the case.