Communication workers

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Communication workers

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:21 am

I work for Bt.

On the phones dealing with connections and home moves. It's a tricky job at the best of times but whilst I am self isolating for a fortnite I have my ear to the ground about what it is like there.

We are dropping hundreds of calls a day (people hanging up before we can answer) this is because of two things, staff are dropping like flies, broadband just became a very Very important commodity (not that it was unimportant before)

On the main, people calling us have been understanding. And that proportion is growing day by day.

However, there is still an element of people giving the poor guys at the end of the phone untold grief.

There are some of our workers that cannot get connected as openreach have essentially downed tools and no new connections until June, though any existing orders will be rushed through where possible. So believe me, we know your pain.

We cannot work from home because a lot of equipment would be needed to ensure security of data, we don't want to travel to the next town to work but some of us have to.

It is really important to remember we are all affected, we are all stressed, and that we are all going to make mistakes because of that stress.

Please have patience with us and please forgive the things we might not do so well. We are all trying our damndest and staying positive in the office.

Think twice before calling us and put your reason up against the vulnerable people in terms of importance, if it is for a free gift, seriously there will be a paper trail and eventually you will get it, we don't rip people off, just be patient. Just hold off your call if you can. I appreciate many of you can't.

Take care guys
These 2 users liked this post: Funkydrummer Bosscat

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Re: Communication workers

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am

Great post putting the predicament in a nutshell.

Here's hoping people heed the message.

Well said sir :) :)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Well my broadband upgrade, early April better get sorted!
😁🤣😸🙈🙉🙊

I am a BT pensioner, so wish everyone well.

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Same pal im.in the same industry

Placing orders with anybody at the min isnt happening

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Agree with the main point of your post, but if BT can’t establish secure home working, something is wrong. Hopefully they are refining plans and you just haven’t had visibility. BT are leaders in this very field!

Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 pm

To be fair the issue isn't technical as it is practical. Last month worldwide production of laptops and mobile phones slowed down and now that Africa is hit the raw materials side of the supply will mean a further slowing. We have tens of thousands of operators and sourcing that many in a time of relative shortage will be impossible. We would also need to set up bt lines for those that don't have it, a vpn to ensure data security and provide a webcam for our makeshift office so that it can be proven that we aren't using our mobiles etc (again to keep your data safe).

With all that said the last and biggest point is that we simply hadn't planned for a mass working from home ethic to be the norm. I imagine the systems analysts are working a lot of overtime to overcome these things and test the systems out. But it will take time.

There is literally zero reason to point fingers. And I am absolutely certain that something is being worked on, because it is logical, they don't want this situation, none of us do but the firm has stood by me and I feel very very lucky to be a part of it.

Eventually I see us taking on a large number of people, if you see the vacancy and are in need, go for it, best firm I have worked for.