Which one is the most dangerous?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Which one is the most dangerous?

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:26 pm

A. Covid-19?

B. The economic destruction of the UK ?

For what it's worth I think the virus will disappear as quickly as it appeared whereas the repercussions of what the
government have done to business and indvidual Liberty will impact on us all forever.. :(

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Which one is the most dangerous?

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm

We can't sit idly by whilst people die of a very fast spreading and highly infectious disease.

Saving as many people as we can now is the most immediate priority. We need to change how we care for people.

This Covid-19 pandemic will underpin a lot of new policies and ways of working which will no doubt change very soon.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Hopefully, yes.

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm

I completely agree but l feel pubs sport and restaurants was sufficient for at least a month whilst supporting those impacted financially , Putting thousands of businesses and millions of people in financial dire straits was far too rushed particularly when we see packed tubes and flights coming in unchecked every day...

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm
I completely agree but l feel pubs sport and restaurants was sufficient for at least a month whilst supporting those impacted financially , Putting thousands of businesses and millions of people in financial dire straits was far too rushed particularly when we see packed tubes and flights coming in unchecked every day...
So you disagree with the repatriation of Brits stranded overseas then, and the flights bringing in emergency PPE and Medicines for the NHS....

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:26 pm
A. Covid-19?

For what it's worth I think the virus will disappear as quickly as it appeared whereas the repercussions of what the
government have done to business and indvidual Liberty will impact on us all forever.. :(
I'll stick my neck out on this: 6 months after covid-19 is "sorted" the UK economy will be back on track and we'll all be planning the summer holidays we have missed.

Who now remembers Brexit Day, 29-March-2019 (or whatever day it first was), who remembers when T May was PM?

I'm hanging on to memories of Burnley in the Premier League and hope we all get back to watching the Clarets again soon.

Take care. Stay Safe.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm

I think compulsory quarantine for flights is a must regardless of who and I never mentioned goods flights either!

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by alboclaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Whatever is happening, in whatever crisis we have to protect the ways in which we live and that includes the world economy.
The gov are pumping money in to all areas, it's all a bit vague but that's to be expected as it's all a rushed job.
We will be paying this off for years to come no doubt but so what....its got to be done. We have to saved lives and that means the country has got to prop up the economy....yes they'll be a down turn from now and after vovid but hands are tied. The other option is for the economy to totally collapse and then **** really would be hitting the fan.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 1035 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Don’t think you specified planes carrying foreign tourists either, but now. I’m presuming that’s what you meant Smudge!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
A. Covid-19?

China will be minted!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Repercussions of what the gov has done to businesses and liberty?

What planet are you on?

They heeded to ensure the economy could function when this virus goes away and if people are refusing to behave like grown ups then they can't then complain when restrictions are placed on them as a result.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho Down_Rover tiger76

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:53 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm
I think compulsory quarantine for flights is a must regardless of who and I never mentioned goods flights either!
It may be a good idea to stop treating the world as our playground.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:

The government haven't done anything, it's the virus' that has caused the problem.
The virus'certainly won't disappear. It's only just starting.
The most advanced economies have now got it and are partially containing it with money.
Just wait until the least developed countries get it, they haven't got the money or infrastructure to contain it.
This virus'is a long long way off disappearing.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 pm

I’m amazed at how brain dead people can be! Starting to think I preferred the threads on Dyche out more

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:03 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm
We can't sit idly by whilst people die of a very fast spreading and highly infectious disease.
That's essentially what happens every year as thousands of people die of 'flu or 'flu related illnesses. Although we don't "sit idly by"; we understand that we all have to die of something and face up to it as best we possibly can.

It's not a case of saving people vs not saving people. It's a case of making a judgment call as to whether the benefits of a full lockdown prolonging the lives of those of thousands of people is a better thing than the loss of liberty and economic hardship it will cause.

The economic hardship that's round the corner might wreck ilves and tear families apart. But there will be (or should be ... or could be ...) thousands whose premature death has been prevented.

I'm not sure if the government has made the right call. I really don't know. And neither does anyone on here. We don't know because it's unknowable; it's a judgment call.

One thing I know for sure: I'm glad it didn't fall on my shoulders to take the decision. There aren't any easy answers, no matter how you approach it.
This user liked this post: KateR

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Imagine if the government decided to just ‘let people die’ what planet are you on? There would be huge numbers of deaths, these older people have spent 50 years paying taxes and deserve better than to be left to die. We will recover eventually, they will still be dead.

My opinion but I’m shocked at the disregard for life on here
These 3 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Down_Rover tiger76

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 pm
Imagine if the government decided to just ‘let people die’ what planet are you on? There would be huge numbers of deaths, these older people have spent 50 years paying taxes and deserve better than to be left to die. We will recover eventually, they will still be dead.

My opinion but I’m shocked at the disregard for life on here
I've read all the responses and I don't think there's any "disregard for life" anywhere here. Only people discussing pros and cons of different ways of approaching the problem of dealing with thr virus.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 pm

Left unchecked this virus would wipe out millions. Not all of them our elders.
The financial repercussions will be horrendous but bearable. Death is not the answer.
Perhaps less goods will be made on the cheap in Asia, now that could help to kickstart the economy.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo tiger76

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm
You probably thought that before the virus hit, though

mapinchina
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by mapinchina » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:37 am

I am amazed at the UK Government ignorant approach regarding COVID-19.
I live in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, where the pandemic, allegedly, originated.
The situation has been dealt with very efficiently.
The whole Province was placed on immediate "Lockdown" on December 23rd....everywhere closed, although we can have some food / snacks delivered, no traffic at all, not allowed out of the community that you live in, etc.
At the moment it is expected that the "Lockdown" will be lifted on April 8th.
I'm no medical expert but I would have thought that placing hundreds of people on a plane, to wherever, is just going to make the problem worse.
I also think that people should take some responsibility for their own actions and just "self quarantine" for, If I have my facts right, 16 weeks.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 am

mapinchina wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:37 am

I'm no medical expert but I would have thought that placing hundreds of people on a plane, to wherever, is just going to make the problem worse.
I also think that people should take some responsibility for their own actions and just "self quarantine" for, If I have my facts right, 16 weeks.
We are having this exact in debate in our house at the moment. Hopefully my son will get out of Thailand tomorrow on the last BA flight.
2 previous airlines cancelled on him.

The government advice is the same as for the rest of us, stay at home, social distance on your 1 exercise/day etc.
If you start to feel unwell, then the advice is the same as it is for the rest of us.
i.e. it is just like he has been here in our house, for the past 2/3 weeks.
My wife and I are also in the 'at risk' group.
I cannot imagine him being tested at Heathrow either.
In short we are in a bit of a quandary!

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:31 am

2 New Holes I know a few people who have returned from traveling within the last two weeks. One the parent was I do not believe were in the 'at risk' category, is isolating at the family home as the caravan parks were closed which they were due to isolate at.

The other's parents are 'at risk', they first went to a travelodge and then found another place in Air BnB when those closed. Our house was their 3rd choice.

If you're at risk, it's a tough call

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
A. Covid-19?

Lads, lasses, everyone. Help me out here please...

I’m struggling to believe someone has actually posted this diatribe, do my eyes deceive me?

If this IS real, you must’ve missed C off your list. C will be some form of mind altering drug. I’ll go for C and hope you come through without any issues.
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour tiger76

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:27 am

mapinchina wrote:
I live in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, where the pandemic, allegedly, originated.
I gave up after the 'allegedly' bit.

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 am

mapinchina wrote:
The situation has been dealt with very efficiently.
The whole Province was placed on immediate "Lockdown" on December 23rd....everywhere closed, although we can have some food / snacks delivered, no traffic at all, not allowed out of the community that you live in, etc.
At the moment it is expected that the "Lockdown" will be lifted on April 8th.
Thanks for the update from Wuhan. One very important question:

HAVE THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT STOPPED LIVE, WILD ANIMAL MARKETS YET?

Good luck to all your friends and relatives.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ives-trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... and-health

Possibly what is more important regarding the economy is ensuring the government looks after people who fall through the cracks of their bailout.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... f-lockdown

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am

bobinho wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 am
Lads, lasses, everyone. Help me out here please...

I’m struggling to believe someone has actually posted this diatribe, do my eyes deceive me?

If this IS real, you must’ve missed C off your list. C will be some form of mind altering drug. I’ll go for C and hope you come through without any issues.
Im suspecting theres a bit of "Im alright Bob" here ? has your business ground to an immediate halt ? How many have you had to lay off who are expected to claim UC or wait till July for money.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
A. Covid-19?

Valid question. But apparently you're not allowed to ask it.

Every life is sacrosanct apparently. So would we do all this if we thought just one person was going to die from the virus? No. OK. So we've established there is some pay-off between economic well-being and social freedoms on one side and people dying on the other. Then we can discuss that pay-off instead of acting like idiots when anyone dares suggest it.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm
The government haven't done anything, it's the virus' that has caused the problem.
The virus'certainly won't disappear. It's only just starting.
The most advanced economies have now got it and are partially containing it with money.
Just wait until the least developed countries get it, they haven't got the money or infrastructure to contain it.
This virus'is a long long way off disappearing.
virus'

What's that about?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am
Im suspecting theres a bit of "Im alright Bob" here ? has your business ground to an immediate halt ? How many have you had to lay off who are expected to claim UC or wait till July for money.
There is no “I’m alright bob” here as that’s never been my mantra, nor will it ever be.

I work for a company, I’m cards in and an employee like everyone else who works at my company. We are still working. We havent been forced to close due to the restrictions in place currently and we will continue to follow govt advice and restrictions. We have no need to lay anyone off as yet, and are doing our best to make sure that will never happen by ensuring our BCP is both current and up to date. I most certainly will not feel the need to apologise for that or feel guilty about it.

We are of course fortunate that we don’t work in one of the industries that have been affected by having to close their doors.

If we are forced to close because of further govt restrictions, then so be it. It won’t be their fault. They are doing their best to make the best of it, as we all should be but you think they are simply destroying our future by taking the decisions they have. That’s just bizarre and it’s why I called it out.a simple choice between A and B.... if only it was that simple.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm

What company do you work for, Bobinho? Is it an essential service?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

What is an essential service?