This is what I'm up against

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

This is what I'm up against

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Yesterday I opted to close two threads because I was sick to the back teeth of having to intervene all the time with all the bickering that was going on. I just thought it was best to close them. It was not a decision I took lightly but I'm trying to keep the board as best as I can for everyone.

Then today, a brand new poster registered and posted three times, on three different threads, with exactly the same comment, having a go at me, accusing me of taking sides. What he didn't realise was new posters have to have their first post approved now so his posts didn't get through.

But, lo and behold, and existing poster has just emailed me with exactly the same comments and guess what - new poster and existing poster using the same IP address.

I appreciate these are difficult times for us. I'm suffering with my mental health right now being stuck at home on my own day after day. But it is about time people started showing each other some respect. There's been a lack of it on here in the past few days and it will not continue. Should it do so, then new rules will be in place very quickly.
These 38 users liked this post: Bosscat Paul Waine The Enclosure CombatClaret BertiesBeehole Ptangyangkipperbang wilks_bfc chorleyhere FactualFrank claretfern turfytopper Mayoclaret bfcjg Suratclaret Colburn_Claret longsidepies Frenchclaret KateR simonclaret HunterST_BFC Quicknick ewanrob Duffer_ Buxtonclaret Jakubclaret Foreverly Claret Grimsdale ashtonlongsider Jimscho Vino blanco JohnMac BOYSIE31 Burnleyareback2 Jel ecc Dante.El.Chunk Bullabill mkmel

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Re: This is what I'm up against

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 pm

And the existing user has now posted the same post on a thread entitled Locked Thread

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Just start banning them m8.. :x hope your well n stay strong @ this rubbish time.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Jesus, Tony, this is getting crazy but thank you for your patience and persistence.
Keep on locking, no more warnings - and look after yourself, fella.
The board is excellent but it's not worth spoiling your health over.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IB52
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by IB52 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 pm

As a regular reader and very occasional poster I agree entirely with your position.
Debate and free speech are key elements but vitriol and bad language would seem to be encroaching on even the most innocuous topics.
Tony, continue with keeping the message board in order. Part of the difficulty is the lockdown, absence of football news and other distractions.
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies LeadBelly ecc chorleyhere

ColneMonkey
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ColneMonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Tony, your doing a good job and I would expect the overwhelming majority will agree.

Mental health is frequently a forgotten part of our overall health - if you do feel you're struggling make sure you pick up the phone and talk to friends and family etc...

We're all in this together, and that's exactly how we must go about helping each other; together.
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Look after yourself tony don’t listen to any rubbish utc

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Keep up the good work Tony 👍😎👍
fpp,small,lustre,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg
fpp,small,lustre,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 pm
new rules will be in place very quickly.
Part of the problem is that there are no rules, none written down anyway.

Here's one suggestion from another forum I use:
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Do not retaliate or respond to a personal attack. Too often, when an initial attack is made, others join the fray and, instead of becoming part of the solution, become part of the problem. Do not accuse others of being trolls.

Should there be members whose posts you don't care to read, you can put them on your ignore list. To do that, click on the profile of the user and then under their avatar click on “Add Foe”. Confirm you want to Foe this person and you will no longer see their posts unless you choose to specifically view them. If you feel that you are being attacked or harassed, contact a moderator.
It would probably also help if private messaging was activated for a couple of reasons:
- discussions (arguments!) that involve just two posters can be taken to PM so that we don't all have to read them;
- moderators can warn posters via PM before things get too far out of hand.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:44 pm

It would just get even nastier with people threatening others if there was PM, I’d prefer a proper profile so people can’t hide behind a username, that would stop the keyboard warriors. I don’t post anything I wouldn’t say in person.

Fully understand that isn’t possible though
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Damo bfcbri

Chesterthedog
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Chesterthedog » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Agreed

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:52 pm

It's not excessively complicated as far as I can see.

Just show respect to other people if you want them to respect you.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR tiger76

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 pm

I understand the difficulties that you’re up against by having to read and moderate each post. Often these are long, drawn out and tedious. Maybe non-football posts should be limited to a few, short, meaningful sentences? This way it would be easy to identify the cr@p and to delete it along with the longer posts.

Is the poster on the locked thread and the one who “liked” him one and the same? If so name and shame him so we can choose to ignore future posts as I do with some others on here.

Rest assured Tony that you have the support of the majority on here and if you ever gave up it would leave a big hole in the BFC fans forum community. Life (as miserable as it might be for some at present) is too short for depression. Onward and upwards is the by-word that I have used since recovering from leukaemia.

This should be a football related site and maybe politics should be re-directed to another site where the abusive posters can wallow in their own misery.
These 5 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie expoultryboy chorleyhere Buxtonclaret JohnMac

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Keep up the good work Tony. Hope the message board can be more a source of strength and distraction for you, than in any way a burden. Thanks for all your efforts.

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:03 pm

So sorry you're having to put up with this sort of rubbish. you have kept this message board and its predecessor going for many years and it is, without doubt, the best fan's message board around. There are a lot of thoughtful contributors come on here to initiate discussions not only on football and our beloved Clarets, but on many topics of concrn and interest.ignore the ignorant minority.
Keeping it going at a time like this is so helpful to many , especially those isolating alone.
Thank you Tony for all you do. Please let the knowledge that you matter to so many people who perhaps wouldn't recognise you if they saw you exercsing alone in the street, be an inspiration to you and part of the process that helps you feel good about yourself. Take care and keep safe
These 6 users liked this post: Whitgord evensteadiereddie longsidepies chorleyhere Frenchclaret tiger76

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:44 pm
I’d prefer a proper profile so people can’t hide behind a username, that would stop the keyboard warriors. I don’t post anything I wouldn’t say in person.
This, theres several of the more aggressive posters often hiding behind a username to fish out their abuse/threats.

The same ones who tread carefully about their line of work, area they live, pictures on threads where people share memories etc.
They avoid giving anything away, probably dont know other posters either as they like to keep their username and identity under wraps.

They do that for a reason...

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:13 pm

Might help posters if a reason was listed why threads are shut down ie is it personal abuse or a subject matter that is deemed too sensitive. There have been some good debates on here about quite controversial issues.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Online passports coming soon

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 pm

In this difficult time when people are self isolating it is more important than ever that we are kind to one another.

As this message board is so important to us all I would have thought treating CT with kindness and respect was a priority.

I have never met CT but I know, from personal experience (emails etc), he is a kind and caring person. Please let us show him we care.

Tony, keep well, keep safe and keep up the brilliant work you do on this board.
These 12 users liked this post: Tall Paul levraiclaret africlaret longsidepies ICL chorleyhere Frenchclaret jtv tiger76 JohnMac ecc mkmel

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Keep up the great work Tony.
With everything going on at present I have to say I am shocked at the constant petty bickering. Surely this is the very time we should be looking after one another physically and mentally. We have a young family member fighting for his life right now-we are expecting the worst news any day. He is 29 and fit. His lung aren't working so he can't get enough oxygen with Covid 19. Our daughter has it also. Surely its about time people grow up.

Wishing you all the very best Tony and thanks for all you do. Please folk be sensible, stay safe and see you on the other side.
UTC

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:38 pm

The childish insults that have been on most threads have made the forum unpleasant to read. Totally unnecessary and I don’t know how Tony and the moderators have the patience.
These 3 users liked this post: LeadBelly The Enclosure expoultryboy

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 pm
And the existing user has now posted the same post on a thread entitled Locked Thread
Take care, CT.

Do our rules permit a "sin bin" - somewhere we can all see who's "stepped out of line?" If we were all "in the real world" where we know each other face-to-face, it's is sometimes the "naming and shaming" that keeps our social behaviours "social."

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:54 pm

A site as popular as this needs more moderators,im shocked it seems it like its down to one bloke to keep order,maybe some of the more established and trusted posters should be drafted in to help its not rocket science...for persistant offenders can IPS not be blocked or can they get round that

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:01 pm

We're all suffering in the same way - we're stuck inside and there's not a lot to do.

It's tricky for all of us and it's not great for anybody's mental health: You might be isolated and on your own, you might be holed up with your family driving you round the bend. No matter what your circumstances, it's a tricky time for all of us. None of us can 'nip down the pub' to get away from it.

I've promised myself not to post anything political for the duration and to take extra care not to sound flippant or negative. It's not easy, I don't always succeed. I accidentally annoyed somebody on here only yesterday.

Let's all just try our best not to wind each other up, to post with kindness and consideration and to think a few seconds before we set our thoughts down.

All the best, UTC
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubclaret longsidepies

Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Well said CT this needed saying and my heart goes out to you, mud gets thrown at the folk in charge in general and It can be healthy, keep the guards in check etc.

Pulling together is about minimising that nonsense being more patient and more importantly taking the "bosses" actions in better faith cause they're only bloody human.

No you don't know everything and no neither does your "enemy" disagree respectfully for God's sake.

If course if I am talking to trills all of that won't do a jot.

I do not envy him but whoever holds the keys to boards and other social media type platforms is going to have to think long and hard about how to root it out.

I can be useful in this regard CT drop me a line if you need any help moderating.

I've never been a keyboard warrior for one side of the aisle or other, and if mediation is needed I'd like to offer my help

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:08 pm

The board already feels a slightly better place with these 2 or 3 threads locked down.
CT does a great job and when he is struggling with his health then that needs to be his priority rather than moderating this board.
I’m not sure how it works with other board moderators and whether they have the same authorisations as CT but if they don’t then we are going to have to self moderate by not starting any more non football threads and by giving CT less things to moderate.

I still think we need to go back to a board of football only threads - there are plenty of other channels and forums people who prefer the political stuff and abuse to vent their views but there is only one forum (worth it’s salt) for Burnley fans.
We need to ask ourselves do we prefer a football only forum or a forum that has to close down because it cannot be moderated due to the non football thread complaints, abuse and often libellous comments that CT has to deal with.

Remember that even on the football threads CT and the mods often have their work cut out - eg when we are in a poor run of form and the transfer windows - so why make it harder for them with non football threads where there is going to be far more disagreement than there is for the team that we all support.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:11 pm

It’s just a difficult week for lots of people being cooped up all day hence the bickering, if anyone’s bored & likes reading, borrowbox app is good to pass time with you just register with your library card, similar to kindle but free.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:17 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:08 pm
The board already feels a slightly better place with these 2 or 3 threads locked down.
CT does a great job and when he is struggling with his health then that needs to be his priority rather than moderating this board.
I’m not sure how it works with other board moderators and whether they have the same authorisations as CT but if they don’t then we are going to have to self moderate by not starting any more non football threads and by giving CT less things to moderate.

I still think we need to go back to a board of football only threads - there are plenty of other channels and forums people who prefer the political stuff and abuse to vent their views but there is only one forum (worth it’s salt) for Burnley fans.
We need to ask ourselves do we prefer a football only forum or a forum that has to close down because it cannot be moderated due to the non football thread complaints, abuse and often libellous comments that CT has to deal with.

Remember that even on the football threads CT and the mods often have their work cut out - eg when we are in a poor run of form and the transfer windows - so why make it harder for them with non football threads where there is going to be far more disagreement than there is for the team that we all support.
What makes this site good is all the different subjects we discuss,to go football only would spoil it....if ever you have a problem one bright spark on here will always solve it for you.
These 2 users liked this post: chorleyhere KateR

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:11 pm
It’s just tampon week for lots of people being cooped up all day hence the bickering, if anyone’s bored & likes reading, borrowbox app is good to pass time with you just register with your library card, similar to kindle but free.
This is before the last week. The bickering started on the Covid-19 thread, which was created on February 7th. You can go back to last month. 12 week bans for some posters would suit me down to the ground.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:17 pm
What makes this site good is all the different subjects we discuss,to go football only would spoil it....if ever you have a problem one bright spark on here will always solve it for you.
I agree to an extent but I’d rather have football only that no forum at all which is the way we seem to be heading.
The other way is to ban any type of political thread but that becomes a little difficult to define - but if we can then that would be good as I am struggling to think of anything positive or useful that can come out of a political thread.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Arguing is in some peoples nature that’s just how it is. Whilst handing out bans for trouble makers can in effect stop the bickering, name calling. Before you do hand out bans maybe think is this forum the only place where these people have contact with others. We largely don’t know who is behind what user name, we don’t know their lives, or their situation.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm

It shouldn't be too difficult for the folks reading the threads on this board to determine when they are becoming political. As soon as any hint of partisan political point-scoring becomes apparent, the thread's reported and binned. The perps will soon get sick of seeing their efforts come to nothing.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Dyched wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm
Arguing is in some peoples nature that’s just how it is. Whilst handing out bans for trouble makers can in effect stop the bickering, name calling. Before you do hand out bans maybe think is this forum the only place where these people have contact with others. We largely don’t know who is behind what user name, we don’t know their lives, or their situation.

It's not really an excuse though, is it ? As someone said earlier, there's plenty of outlets for political posturing. If they want to argue, they go there and not try and wreck this board.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:40 pm

I cant recall the exact words, but canada claret once advised us to all be less antagonistic on here, and that was a while back.
I tried to take that message onboard as I was often inclined to go a little OTT occasionally.
many topics can naturally illicit rigourous debate, and that's all fine and dandy, but the crass insults we can all do without.
These are exceptional times, and a bit of banter is acceptable, but best not to ruin a great forum with bile and stupidity.

here endeth the lesson.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43 pm

I love it that the Locked threads thread is locked :D
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Just to add, I've had 2 threads removed today with mo explanation.
One was highlighting a news story I came across and shared.

The next after that was removed, purely asking if it was a duplicate post, or a banned topic as it just seemed like any other news.

Now I'm wondering have I done something wrong etc as nothings been offered in anyway towards an explanation.

So people are often left confused as to what's happened and/or they've done wrong.

I presume somethings kicked off on here in the last 2 days, but I've only been on to do my spot the ball and update the manager thread, and that's usually on the screen I left it, so dont need to go to messagenoard screen.

Confused :roll:

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 pm
Yesterday I opted to close two threads because I was sick to the back teeth of having to intervene all the time with all the bickering that was going on. I just thought it was best to close them. It was not a decision I took lightly but I'm trying to keep the board as best as I can for everyone.

Then today, a brand new poster registered and posted three times, on three different threads, with exactly the same comment, having a go at me, accusing me of taking sides. What he didn't realise was new posters have to have their first post approved now so his posts didn't get through.

But, lo and behold, and existing poster has just emailed me with exactly the same comments and guess what - new poster and existing poster using the same IP address.

I appreciate these are difficult times for us. I'm suffering with my mental health right now being stuck at home on my own day after day. But it is about time people started showing each other some respect. There's been a lack of it on here in the past few days and it will not continue. Should it do so, then new rules will be in place very quickly.
I appreciate its an hard job but every few months we are seeing these posts from you. maybe its time to move it on to someone else. that is not a criticism as I think you also do a very good job. but if you have mental health issues and this board is making it worse then I think you need to look at things. all the best

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Whilst i agree its been a difficult time for all i do not accept that to be a reason for being abusive to fellow clarets.
You may not share somebody elses opinion but accept and agree to disagree dont think you are right all the time.
Majority of people on here use it for information and companionship especially in these times so consider people's state of mind.

Great job tony, keep strong fella.

UTC
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm

karatekid wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43 pm
I love it that the Locked threads thread is locked :D
Key workers.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 pm

I haven't been on for a few days because I got so fed up these political posts clogging up the board with their political vitriol. I come on the board to see this message from Tony. We are all on lock down Tony, you know who the main culprits are, stop them posting for a while and simply stop these pitiful topics being discussed by removing them and banning them for quite a while. I can understand how you are feeling Tony and how it's affecting your health, the most important thing is that you don't let these miserable key board pillocks ruin your life. Ban them, you will feel 100% better for doing so.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:04 pm

The diversity of the board is what makes it what it is.
Restricting it to just football topics would make it boring very quickly - especially at the current time when there is none to actually talk about.

It would be useful to know why threads have been locked or posts deleted. It can be frustrating posting something then returning later to find it gone without knowing why.

Saying that, the current mods have a difficult job as it is and we all know certain posters don’t always make things easy for them.

People think they can say or do anything they want from the safety of their keyboard without any comeback.
The question they need to ask themselves is, would they do the same thing when face to face

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Do what you have to do Tony. There’s enough to worry about without having to deal with other people’s BS.
Close it down for a short while. Allow access on alternate days. All options are available.
Do what you feel is necessary and the best for your own state of mind the majority will get on board with whatever you decide. UTC

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Yes.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Nothing but best wishes from here, CT.

It has been said above but name and shame. Folk come and go on here. Some take a time out some are banned, we don’t know which.
By highlighting the wrong-doers and labelling their sin we can all learn together what is and is not acceptable.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:01 pm

One of the great things about football at Burnley is that once you go through the turnstile no matter what creed, race, religion, political persuasion you might have, you can put all that behind you,feel the power of unity and get behind your team for 90 minutes.

Personally I find it quite sad reading posts where fellow Burnley fans are abusive towards each other. The idea of a forum like this should be solidify support for our club and not undermine it. People abusing their own fellow supporters need to be mindful of this and think about this concept before they post.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm
Nothing but best wishes from here, CT.

It has been said above but name and shame. Folk come and go on here. Some take a time out some are banned, we don’t know which.
By highlighting the wrong-doers and labelling their sin we can all learn together what is and is not acceptable.
I think it's a good point that nobody really knows what is allowed and what isn't. A couple of threads have been locked, but I've seen worse on other threads that are allowed to continue.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:15 pm

The political threads ruin it. You never get minor fall-outs never mind festering bickering when football (past and present), birdwatching, photography, hedgehogs, trainers and a myriad of other interesting topics are under discussion. You get - discussion.

Get rid of the political threads - Covid 19 CAN be discussed responsibly without the yah-boo boys and girls weighing in - the "Corbyn or Johnson" thread in particular was a disgrace. Let those who need to feel to be top dog do it somewhere else and let this board flourish.
We need a wide range of interesting topics more than ever at this time.

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Just logged in to support the request to keep the political threads open before I saw this thread (so my like for that request is not at all a dig at CT).

I am baffled by eddie's comments, as eddie seems to enjoy and indulge in the point scoring as much as anyone.

Sorry to hear that CT is having a hard time. I hope people stop complaining and stop messing about with new / fake accounts.

It's not that difficult to ignore the political threads if you don't like them. It is not that difficult to ignore the posters whose opinions / comments you tend to dislike. I hope some latitude can be given to keep open the political threads to keep those of us who like them entertained - especially now that we all have to spend so much time at home.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Dare I ask who the abusive poster was ? Though good to see CT closing those bloody awful politics threads just unbearable nonsense .

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm

For those who get over wound up by certain posters there is always the friends and foes option.

Tap your username, top right of every page.
Tap user control panel
Tap friends and foes tab
Tap manage foes
Enter name(s)
Submit.

They won't bother you again unless they are quoted.