ARTICLE: Burnley’s title hopes take a battering at Wolves

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: Burnley’s title hopes take a battering at Wolves

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 am

The latest news from 1960 and it wasn't good news for Burnley even though the rag and bone man went all posh

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/burnleys-t ... -at-wolves

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley’s title hopes take a battering at Wolves

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 am

A good week for Wolves then. Reaching the FA Cup Final and hammering us. If I'm correct, CT, didn't Wolves put 6 past us the previous season,too ? Love hearing stories about the 'rag and bone' man. Living in Haslingden at the time ours was George Berry and I can see we and hear him around the street with his familiar 'cry'.
Nothing much to comment on re; football because it did pass me by being an away midweek game. Again though, some excellent players in that side with the classy Peter Broadbent 'pulling the strings'. Getting tight at the top now so we need to keep our nerve. We can still do it. :(

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Referring to PC K McKay being assaulted while on duty, will bring back memories of the fatal shooting of a police superintendent in Blackpool 45 years ago, during an attempted jewellery shop raid, which was National tv news.
The same Ken McKay was at the time a Detective Sergeant in the Blackpool force, but he later rose a lot higher up the ranks.
A 4 man London gang led by Fred Sewell were disturbed in the raid and they shot dead the police Superintendent. 2 other officers, one being Ken gave chase, of the gang. One who had a shotgun put it into the other officers face, but then shot him elsewhere. Both officers were decorated for their valour.
I vaguely knew Ken and an odd time I popped into Blackpool nick to have quick word with PC Rob Higgins (BFC player), I had a word with Ken, who had a younger brother Ian, who I knocked about with.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm

This result was quite a setback and something of a shock to the system but I remember Dad recalled that at least half the team were in no condition to play in that match. They had all had injections the previous day in advance of the upcoming New York summer tournament which had left them feeling ill.

Silky, we drew there 3-3 the previous season but a couple of seasons later we lost 2-7.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:48 pm

We’ve taken some hammering over the years against Wolves. They were a good, strong team at the time having won the league in the previous two seasons.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Bfc wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 pm
Referring to PC K McKay being assaulted while on duty, will bring back memories of the fatal shooting of a police superintendent in Blackpool 45 years ago, during an attempted jewellery shop raid, which was National tv news.
The same Ken McKay was at the time a Detective Sergeant in the Blackpool force, but he later rose a lot higher up the ranks.
A 4 man London gang led by Fred Sewell were disturbed in the raid and they shot dead the police Superintendent. 2 other officers, one being Ken gave chase, of the gang. One who had a shotgun put it into the other officers face, but then shot him elsewhere. Both officers were decorated for their valour.
I vaguely knew Ken and an odd time I popped into Blackpool nick to have quick word with PC Rob Higgins (BFC player), I had a word with Ken, who had a younger brother Ian, who I knocked about with.
I remember that Bfc, my dad was on the Blackpool police force at that time and we were living in Fleetwood. August 1971.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Cajun wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm
I remember that Bfc, my dad was on the Blackpool police force at that time and we were living in Fleetwood. August 1971.
We're not talking Harry Roberts here because that was sometime in the 60's.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 pm
We're not talking Harry Roberts here because that was sometime in the 60's.
Silky - the jewellery robbery Bfc refers to, involving Fred Sewell and the death of Blackpool police Supt Gerry Richardson, was 1971, as recalled in this story/link:
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire- ... t-17677543
My dad was in the B'pool Traffic division at the time.
That Roberts incident was down in London a few years before, as you say.