Prem to resume behind closed doors start of MAY 

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Prem to resume behind closed doors start of MAY 

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:51 pm

It’s a really complex picture and there is no easy answer with all 92 clubs falling into lots of categories as to what would be best for them.

Of course in the scheme of a world pandemic football is insignificant - but so is everything else.
Personally I would not underestimate how important football is to people’s lives across the world.
No it’s not more important than their lives, their health, their family or their jobs (for most people) but it does provide a massive lift and often distraction in people’s lives when they are struggling with any other aspect of their life / health.

For me if it can be done safely and within an acceptable range of risk then I think it’s a good thing to try and finish the season and try and avoid the massive impact of a reduction in TV money - which does not just impact premier league clubs as there is a decent amount of tv money in the championship, a number of teams who are still getting parachute payments and then the very significant impact of future player sales / transfers from the fall out.
I know there are a number of clubs who have nothing to play for in the lower leagues where this would cost them match day revenue -but I don’t think the potential total loss of money for all these clubs would be something that is an insurmountable amount for the Premier League clubs to look at subsidising if there was a risk it could send some clubs over the edge.
Out of the 70 or so lower league clubs then you would think there are still at least 20 clubs who have promotion or relegation to play for too.

IMHO I think it would bring a big lift to a big part of society - we might even see a new generation of football fans emerge.
And lastly we need to bear in mind this is just something that is being considered at the moment alongside lots of other options - one of which will be cancelling the season. Nobody will be deciding anything at this stage until there is firm evidence that the government measures are working.
This user liked this post: dsr

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Why do some people find it so hard to express an opinion without making it out like they are an expert or that what they are stating is a fact when in reality they know no more than the rest of us and are just guessing at potential outcomes?

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but I see it all the time on many threads people stating X, Y or Z will happen, which often tunrs out to be completely wrong, rather than just saying I believe this will happen but time will tell etc.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 pm

not a valid comparison, but in terms of money, think of the losses the airline companies are facing. But there's no choice for them to resume , so I cant see how money will talk in this instance.
I would love to see the games resumed, but doubt in will happen.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Needs completing for fairness and also so the product does not get devalued as the FA Cup has been. The television companies need to keep people interested. If you stop watching football or going on matches it becomes a habit and you learn to live without it. If there is minimal risk behind closed doors and it is uplifting for people to watch I think it would be welcome.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 pm
It will be, you are also leaving the argument wide open or should I say door to, well if football can go ahead why can’t this that & the other go ahead & before you know it we are pretty much back to square 1, where we are now. Kind of makes a mockery of the early lockdown, all this is based upon things roughly progressing the way there are & deteriorating, hopefully come may & onwards we’ll be faced with a different scenario & the outlook will be healthier. Even the most avid optimist is finding that difficult to envisage now.
If there is no football to look forward to in a few months time how will many people cope, as it's seen as an important part of their lives?

For many, football is the only thing they have to enjoy, take that away and you may be looking at many more deaths unfortunately.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:48 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm
If there is no football to look forward to in a few months time how will many people cope, as it's seen as an important part of their lives?

For many, football is the only thing they have to enjoy, take that away and you may be looking at many more deaths unfortunately.
It is what it is, there’s no perfect answers or solutions to this, you’ll never get everybody agreeing & they’ll be positives & negatives to whatever the ultimate decision is.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm

As well as the economy, there's the nations mental health to consider. You could also be looking at riots/civil unrest if we're expected to be on lockdown for an extended period. Personally I think after 5 or 6 weeks people will stop cooperating and see the small chance of a fine as a risk worth taking in order to have some kind of a life.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Already a bit of unrest in Italy. You can't keep people locked up forever. Hopefully things improve by the end of next month and we can start to move towards normality as China are now.

I don't see the harm in planning for when that time comes, whether that's football or anything else.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:48 pm
It is what it is, there’s no perfect answers or solutions to this, you’ll never get everybody agreeing & they’ll be positives & negatives to whatever the ultimate decision is.
But why cancel now. Why not wait until it becomes clearer?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 37081.html

"The regulations and agreements dictate that the Premier League cannot unilaterally void a season without the agreement of the Football Association and the English Football League. For the same reasons, the top division can’t just decide to re-align relegation so it’s one up, one down rather than three up, three down.

And the EFL’s position is unequivocal: they are determined to finish the season, no matter when that may be. That is down to motivations much greater than any of the Premier League's reasons. It centres around the very survival of tranches of clubs. There are estimations up to 45 clubs could go out of business.

As such, the EFL's position won't be changing, and that effectively locks the Premier League in. It is there where the real potential for legal challenges arise. Multiple sources say that promotion-chasing clubs would have a legitimate argument that they will have suffered extraordinary loss if the Premier League does attempt to void the season and just restart from summer 2019. The expectation is they would be “very aggressive”.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm
But why cancel now. Why not wait until it becomes clearer?
I wasn’t suggesting now to make that decision but before May arrives, by all means possibilities need to be explored whether it is possible to continue, judging from what I’ve been reading & what another poster posted on another thread last night in 2 weeks we should know if the Covid-19 situation is improving.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 37081.html

"The regulations and agreements dictate that the Premier League cannot unilaterally void a season without the agreement of the Football Association and the English Football League. For the same reasons, the top division can’t just decide to re-align relegation so it’s one up, one down rather than three up, three down.

And the EFL’s position is unequivocal: they are determined to finish the season, no matter when that may be. That is down to motivations much greater than any of the Premier League's reasons. It centres around the very survival of tranches of clubs. There are estimations up to 45 clubs could go out of business.

As such, the EFL's position won't be changing, and that effectively locks the Premier League in. It is there where the real potential for legal challenges arise. Multiple sources say that promotion-chasing clubs would have a legitimate argument that they will have suffered extraordinary loss if the Premier League does attempt to void the season and just restart from summer 2019. The expectation is they would be “very aggressive”.
The problem with that ruling is that if the Premier League does manage to complete the season and is able to start in August-September, and the Football League is still saying that their season is incomplete so the Premier League must wait, will that wash? I can't imagine the EFL has the right to suspend the Premier League indefinitely, just by refusing to play. I would expect (given competent lawyers) that clause to cease to apply after the season's due date - probably end of June.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Seems Germany plan to re-start at beginning of May:
https://www.kicker.de/773106/artikel/bu ... er_starten

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 pm

well the good thing for us if this happens is the grass should be good and long by then, more to fall into our cunning trap.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:30 pm

Money talks.... and it will have the last word.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm
As well as the economy, there's the nations mental health to consider. You could also be looking at riots/civil unrest if we're expected to be on lockdown for an extended period. Personally I think after 5 or 6 weeks people will stop cooperating and see the small chance of a fine as a risk worth taking in order to have some kind of a life.
and, then they catch covid-19 and then what, a shortened one?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Many Rugby associations have called their 19/20 domestic seasons null and void,no promotion or relegation,what makes football such a special case?,apart from the money.

The 2019/20 domestic rugby season in Scotland has been classified as null and void, with Scottish Rugby joining its Irish, Welsh and Italian counterparts in coming to this outcome.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 pm
Many Rugby associations have called their 19/20 domestic seasons null and void,no promotion or relegation,what makes football such a special case?,apart from the money.

The 2019/20 domestic rugby season in Scotland has been classified as null and void, with Scottish Rugby joining its Irish, Welsh and Italian counterparts in coming to this outcome.
Probably because football is huge in comparison, especially with the money involved. It's been suggested in one of the newspaper articles that up to 45 clubs could be in difficulty if money isn't forthcoming.

Many clubs going bust would be catastrophic for a lot of people.