How would you like to see the Premier League season end? - Voting Poll

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond

Which of these scenarios do you consider the best option for the Premier League?

End the season now with no promotion or relegation
28%
End the season now with Leeds and West Brom added
3%
Complete the season behind closed doors when it is safe to do so
36%
Compete the season in normal conditions when it is safe to do so
33%

Total votes: 236

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: How would you like to see the Premier League season end? - Voting Poll

Post by dsr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:06 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm
As such, the EFL's position won't be changing, and that effectively locks the Premier League in. It is there where the real potential for legal challenges arise. Multiple sources say that promotion-chasing clubs would have a legitimate argument that they will have suffered extraordinary loss if the Premier League does attempt to void the season and just restart from summer 2019. The expectation is they would be “very aggressive”.
But they would need to finish their own season. It's unlikely to be much use going to court complaining that "under the rules, the league leaders after 46 games should have got promotion and the Premier league won't let them in", because the court could very well say "you haven't got to 46 games".

Leeds quite clearly have not earned promotion. Sueing so the court will give them something they haven't earned? Good luck with that one. If the FL want to complain that they have kept their side of the bargain and expect the PL to keep theirs, fair enough - but to say that neither side could keep their side of the bargain so they want the court to intercede as if both sides had done so? Long shot.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:16 pm

Get all the managers onto one big FM2020 game. Play it out from the current position; Stream full matches, do a few a day.

Season gets finished, no risk or putting anyone in danger. TV gets their games.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:41 pm
And if clubs can't pay wages then players have the legal right to walk away and join clubs who will pay them.

You can't be legally forced to work for nothing.
It's a moot point in this scenario, the players would be in lockdown anyway & unable to work, unless there decided to go overseas & play even there they've suspended the league's apart from Belarusian, everybody's in the same boat the players can't do anything apart see it out, it just wouldn't happen spending millions on AWOL renegade players not even attending medicals. You don't see many plumbers working in the desert, or foundaries in the Arctic.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 pm
It's a moot point in this scenario, the players would be in lockdown anyway & unable to work, unless there decided to go overseas & play even there they've suspended the league's apart from Belarusian, everybody's in the same boat the players can't do anything apart see it out, it just wouldn't happen spending millions on AWOL renegade players not even attending medicals. You don't see many plumbers working in the desert, or foundaries in the Arctic.
But the point you are missing is that the players contracts become null and void and as soon as football resumes ALL our better players would be able to leave of their own free will as most clubs can pay better wages.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm
But the point you are missing is that the players contracts become null and void and as soon as football resumes ALL our better players would be able to leave of their own free will as most clubs can pay better wages.
It does if you don’t pay them I agree, technically the club should be able to put them on furloughed leave, I don’t see how it’s any different not that they need the money or shouldn’t need it.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm

groove wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm
Agreed. This season has to be finished for the integrity of the next possible season.
How does not completing this season jeopardise the integrity of next?
Whatever is decided and whenever it starts all teams in every division will start next season with zero points and - theoretically at least - have the same number of fixtures as each other. They will know the rules etc and it should be a totally "normal" season.
It's the integrity of this season that we need to be concerned about.
The longer the break continues the less it will seem like a continuation of the current season, and there's a whole cluster of teams in each division who will restart with virtually no chance of promotion or relegation.
Then there's the possibility of playing behind closed doors at neutral venues. That would clearly compromise the integrity of the current season, since some teams would expect to do better in front of a home crowd (having already lost the away fixture) but they wouldn't be getting the home fixture.
I'm not sure what the solution is. I suspect they'll keep proposing a restart date until it takes us to mid-June, and then at that point they'll have to decide whether they want to either void the current season or disrupt the next one.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Complete this season in September, October, November 2020 followed by a break.
Start the new season in December 2020 or January 2021 and play through till November 2021 (with a break for the Euros)
Start the next season in January 2022 and play through till September 2022 followed by a break before before the World Cup which starts on 21 November 2022.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:21 pm

I keep hearing about the 30th June being a key date;

- Players contracts end
- clubs sponsorships and kit provider deals -Think Liverpool's new balance deal comes to an end as an example.
- Transfer windows running whilst a season is still in play potentially etc.

So could you imagine the season being completed in October and Liverpool being crowned the champions and for years to come, the shirt everyone saw wasn't even the one that they wore - can't see New Balance allowing that.

Could you imagine, us losing a few million because we have lost players and not replaced them - given we have to manage transfer windows against a backdrop of difficulty - how would you get new players over the line with social distancing and all the other stuff that probably happens which we don't get to see - like medicals..

For me, it is really difficult to see how we can go beyond the end of June to complete the season. However - difficult doesn't always mean impossible.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Bump

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:21 pm
I keep hearing about the 30th June being a key date;

- Players contracts end
- clubs sponsorships and kit provider deals -Think Liverpool's new balance deal comes to an end as an example.
- Transfer windows running whilst a season is still in play potentially etc.

So could you imagine the season being completed in October and Liverpool being crowned the champions and for years to come, the shirt everyone saw wasn't even the one that they wore - can't see New Balance allowing that.

Could you imagine, us losing a few million because we have lost players and not replaced them - given we have to manage transfer windows against a backdrop of difficulty - how would you get new players over the line with social distancing and all the other stuff that probably happens which we don't get to see - like medicals..

For me, it is really difficult to see how we can go beyond the end of June to complete the season. However - difficult doesn't always mean impossible.
For one, Nike (I am told) have already given permission for Liverpool to wear their old shirts to clinch the title.

For another, the transfer window will almost certainly be rearranged so that players who are out of contract on 30th June will have the option of leaving their clubs and earning nothing till the season starts, unless their new clubs want to pay them early of course; but they won't be able to play for a new club until the new season. But the option will be there for a (say) 3 month extension to their existing contract.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm
For one, Nike (I am told) have already given permission for Liverpool to wear their old shirts to clinch the title.

For another, the transfer window will almost certainly be rearranged so that players who are out of contract on 30th June will have the option of leaving their clubs and earning nothing till the season starts, unless their new clubs want to pay them early of course; but they won't be able to play for a new club until the new season. But the option will be there for a (say) 3 month extension to their existing contract.
As I said, not impossible but I still don't think it would be that simple. There is money and contracts and that rarely ever works out with a consensus of opinion.

Long way to go yet but think with the government seeing this as an opportunity to provide entertainment to the nation, they are keen to get these games played as soon as possible and the financial burden of keeping this from not being drawn out that will go along way of keeping this this side of summer.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Option 1 isn't really an option at all. There are 4 teams that have played 28 games, the rest 29.
The season cannot finish with that scenario.

No European places can be decided to enable next season to start.

To finish the season early the 2 games have to be played.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 pm
Option 1 isn't really an option at all. There are 4 teams that have played 28 games, the rest 29.
The season cannot finish with that scenario.
That doesn't make any sense. If the season ends now with all games null and void then it doesn't matter if a team has played 26, 27, 28, 29 or 30 games - or how many points anyone currently has.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 pm

Option 5:
West brom are promoted alone but to replace West ham who have gone bankrupt.
Title is awarded using the formula:-

Number of points won prior to the stoppage x million /
Cost of players making up the Premier league squad.

I don't think we'd win it. Sheffield United probably would, but we'd qualify for champions league.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am
Great idea,our lives are controlled by technology so let's go for it,with a bit of luck Liverpool will not get another point and City pip them for the title...great stuff.
Do you think the VAR calls will be right if its FIFA 2019/20 played out on XXBox? ;)

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 pm

In a shoot-out. Not a penalty shoot-out. A real one.

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:01 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 pm
That doesn't make any sense. If the season ends now with all games null and void then it doesn't matter if a team has played 26, 27, 28, 29 or 30 games - or how many points anyone currently has.
Option 1 says end the season with no relegation, meaning the season stands with the league as it is, not scrapped. If the season ends now how do you progress into next season ?

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:01 am
Option 1 says end the season with no relegation, meaning the season stands with the league as it is, not scrapped. If the season ends now how do you progress into next season ?
I think that everyone except you knows what Option 1 means. No one has ever proposed that the season would end and the league tables would effectively be frozen. It wouldn't work for all sorts of reasons, (including the one that you gave).
Maybe option 1 could have been phrased more precisely, but I think that all those who have voted for that option are clear that CT mean't the season would have to end and unfortunately all results would be null and void.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am
I think that everyone except you knows what Option 1 means. No one has ever proposed that the season would end and the league tables would effectively be frozen. It wouldn't work for all sorts of reasons, (including the one that you gave).
Maybe option 1 could have been phrased more precisely, but I think that all those who have voted for that option are clear that CT mean't the season would have to end and unfortunately all results would be null and void.
Option 1 is a complete wipeout as if the season never started or existed, so with starting the next season (this coming season) what happened last season in terms of who finished where to qualify for Europe would just be carried over & Norwich Sheffield United & Aston Villa would be starting afresh on a clean slate, that’s how I interpreted it.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 am
Option 1 is a complete wipeout as if the season never started or existed, so with starting the next season (this coming season) what happened last season in terms of who finished where to qualify for Europe would just be carried over & Norwich Sheffield United & Aston Villa would be starting afresh on a clean slate, that’s how I interpreted it.
Therein lies a huge issue. Why should Arsenal benefit from the extra millions of getting into Europe next season despite currently residing in mid-table?

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am

I'm intrigued to know what will happen if the other European leagues decide to null and void this season?

I.e. The EPL champions league / Europa league places will be decided but those of other leagues would not. Champions & Europa league would surely be out the window.

I think there is more appetite in the Italian and Spanish leagues to null and void, currently.

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:25 am

The last one, no other option is fair to teams, players or supporters

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am
I'm intrigued to know what will happen if the other European leagues decide to null and void this season?

I.e. The EPL champions league / Europa league places will be decided but those of other leagues would not. Champions & Europa league would surely be out the window.

I think there is more appetite in the Italian and Spanish leagues to null and void, currently.
Interesting question.

My best guess would be that qualification would be "by invitation", on an ad hoc basis between leagues, depending on state of play. The summer leagues like Norway have presumably barely got started so their qualification is based on last season, which is complete. Their problem comes next year.

My best guess for an incomplete league would be to base the invitations on current league position, with the proviso that all clubs which are still in this year's incomplete competition will automatically re--qualify.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Therein lies a huge issue. Why should Arsenal benefit from the extra millions of getting into Europe next season despite currently residing in mid-table?
That's just the way things could be, winners & losers it's a freak occurrence, what about Sheffield United on course for maybe Europe, moaning & reflecting on what could have been isn't helpful. If the decision gets made it will be mixed emotions everywhere, that's the brutal reality of life.
This user liked this post: Darthlaw

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:51 pm

A lot of us are thinking that football is going to start up again in the summer or autumn of this year. A quick end to the current season followed by a late start to next season would then take place. Looking at the COVID-19 situation, this is unlikely to happen.

We are currently observing 'self isolation' and 'social distancing'. If this works, at some time in the coming months the government should be able to ease the restrictions. However, it is unlikely that they will be able to lift them entirely. To do so would result in the virus starting to rapidly spread again.

Restrictions will only be able to be lifted fully when a large percentage (possibly 80%) of the population are immune to the virus. A vaccine needs to be approved, manufactured and applied to the population (or a large % of the population need to have the virus and recover from it). Once this is in place we should be ready to get back to some sort of 'normal'.

Vaccines look to be around a year away. Football should hopefully be starting up again next spring with the Euro's in the summer of 21. I can't see the remainder of this season and the whole of next being fitted into this timescale.

The logical conclusion is that we complete this season next spring and then scrap the 20-21 season.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 pm
That's just the way things could be, winners & losers it's a freak occurrence, what about Sheffield United on course for maybe Europe, moaning & reflecting on what could have been isn't helpful. If the decision gets made it will be mixed emotions everywhere, that's the brutal reality of life.
That's why if we can complete this season and push back next year a bit then all those issues no longer become a problem.

That's why finishing this one is hugely important.

Will you be saying 'That's how it is" if 20-30 clubs go to the wall?

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Spijed wrote:
It is indeed a huge issue. Much bigger than most people realise.

Just take Leeds or West Brom as an example. Promotion for either team is commonly regarded as worth at least £100 million.
If they both sued the league ( and would probably win ) that would bankrupt the league.
The same applies to Man Utd, they could easily end up in the top 4 and wouldn't hesitate at taking the league to court.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:56 pm
That's why if we can complete this season and push back next year a bit then all those issues no longer become a problem.

That's why finishing this one is hugely important.

Will you be saying 'That's how it is" if 20-30 clubs go to the wall?
In due course all considerations will be weighed up when the time is right by all the authorities, I think public health will override all other concerns/issues & rightfully so. If it's safe to continue it will continue in some form, if it isn't it won't be & it'll just start again as a new season
These 2 users liked this post: Spijed nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 pm
It is indeed a huge issue. Much bigger than most people realise.

Just take Leeds or West Brom as an example. Promotion for either team is commonly regarded as worth at least £100 million.
If they both sued the league ( and would probably win ) that would bankrupt the league.
Why do you think they would win? If the requisite number of clubs required vote to end the season (in accordance with the rules) and this means that a small number of clubs challenge it, why would the courts over-rule this decision? It would then open the flood gates for all the other teams affected to appeal it.
Incidentally, which league would they sue? (It's the PL that would potentially pay them millions not the EFL).
Then teams could sue for parachute payments etc etc and so on it goes.
As you admit - it's very complicated.

Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by Claretmisterg » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Complete the season under normal conditions; if need be cancel the 20/21 season. Dependent upon how quickly normality can return maybe just cancel part of 20/21 season fixtures; domestic cups, European competition, the Euros.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Again, cancelling 20-21 means no PL money for a year. Just for clarity.

Probably be the end of the PL in the near future too, once the Euro super league took its place.

Positive is Burnley might have a chance of winning the top flight, negatives being none of the ‘big’ clubs being part of English football anymore.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Analysis from Bryan Swanson from Sky.

UEFA's decision to postpone all national team matches in June was a formality.

Footballers cannot play games during an international crisis, and the coronavirus pandemic has not yet peaked throughout Europe.

The video conference call lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours, an hour longer than scheduled, but there was unity across all 55 member associations.

It is remarkable how together the football community is at the moment," said an official who was on the call.

Tellingly, not one association raised the issue of cancelling the season.

European football wants to finish the current season, even if there is a growing acceptance that the preferred deadline of June 30 is likely to be further delayed.

Various scenarios were discussed, including turning international fixtures into three-game slots, rather than the current two-game windows.

UEFA associations also discussed the feasibility of scheduling European matches - in the Champions League and Europa League - on similar dates to domestic games.

They are working towards anything which reduces the prospect of having to drop games.

Europe's associations will meet again later this month.

Their priority remains finishing the current season before considering when to start the next.

But only when it is safe to do so.

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:56 pm

I think Spijeds post above gives a clear insight into what will probably happen.
Cancelling the season is a minefield & would probably delay the start of next season.
Renegotiating next season's contract's is hard but an awful lot less to lose for all concerned.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 pm

They've got to finish the season - Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich would sue the everloving crap out of the Premier League otherwise. So would any team who has the potential to finish higher and get more PL monies, which is pretty much every one of them - especially those who are pushing for European places.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:39 pm

There might be some behind closed doors domestic football late in the summer but clubs will need some kind of 'pre-season' before any competitive games are played. Based on recent government statements on prolonged social distancing measures if top-flight football is played in front of paying spectator before the end of this year that would be good going.

As for European club football, CL, EL etc - given that the top clubs are from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain don't think you can even put a time-frame on that or the rescheduled Euros - especially if they intend to stick to the pan-European format with talk of health screening for all international travellers.

I think the focus will be on trying to finish season 2019/2020 whenever and however possible - pointless planning beyond that given no-one knows how the situation is going to develop over the coming weeks/months.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 pm
They've got to finish the season - Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich would sue the everloving crap out of the Premier League otherwise. So would any team who has the potential to finish higher and get more PL monies, which is pretty much every one of them - especially those who are pushing for European places.
If they want to sue the Premier League, they will have to prove that something is the Premier League's fault. They can sue them for not finishing the League if they think it's the PL's fault; well, that's not going to happen. They could sue the PL if the PL relegates them contrary to the rules fo the competition; which is why the PL probably won't do that.

As for Leeds sueing the PL, I really wouldn't fancy their chances. "You know you told us that if we finished top after 46 games you'd give us promotion? Well, we didn't do that, but we're going to sue you to give us what we would have had if only we had done what we wanted to do."

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 am

claret_in_exile wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 pm
They've got to finish the season - Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich would sue the everloving crap out of the Premier League otherwise.
Why would those 3 choose to sue the PL?. If the season were to be incomplete then they are the only 3 teams who are guaranteed to benefit.
No one really knows what would happen about Champ / Europa League places or the distribution of money, (if there is any), but with no relegation Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich (in particular) would be celebrating.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Bump

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:36 pm

Tony,
is there an end to this poll in your mind and will you be publishing results at some time?

There might be a chance some people will have changed thoughts from when you first published. If a change of mind, can anyone who goes back in and selects an alternative or is it fixed, and if they can select an alternative now, is the original choice automatically cancelled?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:25 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Tony,
is there an end to this poll in your mind and will you be publishing results at some time?

There might be a chance some people will have changed thoughts from when you first published. If a change of mind, can anyone who goes back in and selects an alternative or is it fixed, and if they can select an alternative now, is the original choice automatically cancelled?
I’d nothing in mind when I posted it to be honest - just trying to get an idea as to what people would prefer. Very surprised though how many went for A.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:25 pm
I’d nothing in mind when I posted it to be honest - just trying to get an idea as to what people would prefer. Very surprised though how many went for A.
Me to regarding A, B I think was just a dislike and has very few, both would (just IMO) hurtful to BFC and the PL in general. Yet in the new thread started on the same subject people are still advocating cancel!!

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 pm
. Yet in the new thread started on the same subject people are still advocating cancel!!
That's not exactly what is being advocated.
Just to clarify: The premise is that this season should be cancelled if / when we reach the point that it would have a seriously detrimental or ruinous effect on the 20 / 21 season and maybe beyond.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:59 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 pm
That's not exactly what is being advocated.
Just to clarify: The premise is that this season should be cancelled if / when we reach the point that it would have a seriously detrimental or ruinous effect on the 20 / 21 season and maybe beyond.
ok, maybe I need to clarify and quantify a little what I am thinking. Some people are saying cancel this season, your clarification is around "in order to start afresh 20/21 season, I think, let me know if I'm wrong?

On the basis of above, I am thinking 20/21 season starts in August as I've no evidence to anyone saying anything different. Therefore and will accept it's a worst case scenario:

Players get paid from when we stopped playing until August
All non playing staff get paid until August but like players not doing anything in reality
All bills need paying since stopped paying
Sky don't pay remainder of 19/20 season, why should they
40 Million in the Bank lasts how long under this scenario
No revenues coming in from what I see and wont for several months
Therefore I believe not starting ASAP is very detrimental to BFC and I don't care about 20/21 Season, when we get to that point, no European comp's, no LC, no Internationals until the PL clubs say they can afford that.
20/21 is not an issue right now, revenues for any business is an issue now, I voted for Closed Doors to start at the earliest as I believe most likely to be allowed and moved to normal games/crowds when possible, my thoughts are around BFC receiving revenues at the earliest.
Closed door games can be televised allowing the Sky payments as normal, extra revenue from supporters attending and other beneficial sales/revenue to follow soon after.
Hopefully normal games can be resumed within 2/3 weeks of Closed Door games

Just my thoughts

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 pm

I’d end the season now, no promotions or relegations - All current league leaders given a special commemorative trophy / shield

I don’t know how you can finish a season after such a huge disruption.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 pm
I’d end the season now, no promotions or relegations - All current league leaders given a special commemorative trophy / shield

I don’t know how you can finish a season after such a huge disruption.
Easy as far as the clubs are concerned - to get the tv money. But I don’t see how you can cancel it when we are around 80% of the way through. Doesn’t matter when, get it finished, have a short break and then start the 20/21 season.
These 2 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR KateR

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:14 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:59 pm
ok, maybe I need to clarify and quantify a little what I am thinking. Some people are saying cancel this season, your clarification is around "in order to start afresh 20/21 season, I think, let me know if I'm wrong?

On the basis of above, I am thinking 20/21 season starts in August as I've no evidence to anyone saying anything different. Therefore and will accept it's a worst case scenario:
I haven't read beyond this sentence, but I'm not personally suggesting or predicting that the 20/ 21 season could start in August.
More from my point of view: I'd rather we get the full 20 / 21 season in by August 2021. If this were to mean football restarting later than August 2020 with no completion of this season, but a full scheduled season - (let's say starting late October), then I'd much prefer that to restarting the current season in October, and then having a significantly curtailed 20 / 21.

[I'll be v surprised if we get games before the end of August, (probably much later), and I base my opinion on this premise]

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:14 pm
I haven't read beyond this sentence, but I'm not personally suggesting or predicting that the 20/ 21 season could start in August.
More from my point of view: I'd rather we get the full 20 / 21 season in by August 2021. If this were to mean football restarting later than August 2020 with no completion of this season, but a full scheduled season - (let's say starting late October), then I'd much prefer that to restarting the current season in October, and then having a significantly curtailed 20 / 21.

[I'll be v surprised if we get games before the end of August, (probably much later), and I base my opinion on this premise]
how can you expect to be taken serious, I didn't read past, yea right, then you suddenly throw October in like a hand grenade, it's only an opinion poll, the fact I (and by the way the majority) and others disagree with you should give you an idea. My thoughts right now, why the hell am I still typing, he wont read this far!

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 pm
Easy as far as the clubs are concerned - to get the tv money. But I don’t see how you can cancel it when we are around 80% of the way through. Doesn’t matter when, get it finished, have a short break and then start the 20/21 season.
I think it does matter when. There has to be a point at which it becomes ludicrous to complete the season. We surely couldn't kick-off the 20 /21 season in autumn 21??
Admittedly, I'm being facetious there, but there would surely have to be a cut off point beyond which the only sensible option would be to void the 19 / 20 season. (Hope it doesn't happen though)

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:21 pm
I think it does matter when. There has to be a point at which it becomes ludicrous to complete the season. We surely couldn't kick-off the 20 /21 season in autumn 21??
Admittedly, I'm being facetious there, but there would surely have to be a cut off point beyond which the only sensible option would be to void the 19 / 20 season. (Hope it doesn't happen though)
You have a point there, but then again if time goes n even further there will be a point where the new "only option" is to restart 19-20. If (God forbid!) we don't start till next March or April, then we might pick things up from now rather than try and cram in a full season on funny time.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 pm
how can you expect to be taken serious, I didn't read past, yea right, then you suddenly throw October in like a hand grenade, it's only an opinion poll, the fact I (and by the way the majority) and others disagree with you should give you an idea. My thoughts right now, why the hell am I still typing, he wont read this far!
I don't know why you have to be so rude. Why wouldn't I read all your posts?
I said that I was specifically referring to the opening sentence of your post, (specifically because you referred to the season starting in August whereas I don't think it will). This doesn't mean that I didn't go on to read the rest.
October was just a for example. I could ave said mid Nov or whatever. The point still stands.